Best value night vision scope deals

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Best value thermal scope deals

Post by wanneroo » 12 Aug 2019, 11:58 pm

ramshackle wrote:Sightmark Wraith HD 50mm, another digital contender: https://youtu.be/0SQEf3MlYWU

That doesn't look too bad for the money but looks like it needs some good IR illumination to make it work well, takes 4 AA batteries, uses USB for an external power source( :lol: ) and weighs a kilo sitting on your rifle.

It's like with cars, speed costs money how fast do you want to go. I think a lot of this stuff will work for folks at that lower price point, it just comes down to the extra weight, size and battery life you've got to deal with.

Maybe next year I'll get one of those scopes and build a 300 Blackout AR specifically for it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by ramshackle » 13 Aug 2019, 6:14 am

wanneroo wrote:It's like with cars, speed costs money how fast do you want to go. I think a lot of this stuff will work for folks at that lower price point, it just comes down to the extra weight, size and battery life you've got to deal with.

Wanneroo, thanks for that insight. I had not realised the large weight differential (and much thirstier power requirements), and that is very important to many hunters. Not to me, since I shoot on a smaller property and tend to lie in hiding and wait, but for those hoofing it around it could be a major factor.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Aug 2019, 6:30 am

Stix wrote:Lol...
Ive tried that model before...
on_one_wheel wrote:
ramshackle wrote:Actually the evolution of night vision is much more complex than I'd think

They're definitely over thinking it.

I'm in the late R&D stages of developing my own night vision goggles, scope attachments, binoculars and monocular.

In layman's terms, they simply block out all light bouncing off objects that you aren't looking at, effectively intensifying light from objects you are looking. That also adjust your pupils maximising the light / Image area projected onto the back of your eyeballs.

At this stage they can be mass produced far cheaper than all current NV on the market.
images (5).jpeg

they're on the money for having the most versatile exit pupil... :thumbsup: ... but i found a completely non-reflective matt black inner tube along with using them under an umbrella in the rain a better alternative...

BTW...i expect some royalty payments for improving your prototype...!!
:drinks:

They are not going to work in inclement weather - it’s a s**ty idea. BUT, maybe if you dip them in to some bobox, you’d preserve their qualities longer.
Royalty improvement payments to the same as previous thanks TT.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Aug 2019, 11:35 am

ramshackle wrote:My impression is that the cheapest way of getting into thermal is to combine a thermal monocular (such as the $1000 Flir or $1200 Leupold below), which is much cheaper than a thermal rifle scope, and a Gen 2 or Gen 3 IR scope. Correct me if I am wrong.

Note: bear in mind I am a max. 150 metres rimfire shooter.

Also, is there such a thing as an entry level thermal scope? I'm seeing a lot of scopes that do everything for you except pull the trigger. I don't want to take pictures or movies, have a GPS reading, a wifi, a rangefinder, a picture-in-picture, etc. :wtf:

My mate has one of those Leupold things, woeful and not worth it was his impression of it. He also has some sort of NV and he likes it but I hated it, it left me with blindness for a good min after using it each time (I think it was a Pulsar not sure of model).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Best value night vision scope deals

Post by marksman » 13 Aug 2019, 2:00 pm

it may be worth your time to read this post ramshackle and when you get to the end research the pard nv007 that Pete and xdom have bought
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11976
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 13 Aug 2019, 2:13 pm

marksman wrote:it may be worth your time to read this post ramshackle and when you get to the end research the pard nv007 that Pete and xdom have bought viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11976

Thanks Marksman, I'll read it now, but just to stimulate responses before I get going with that, what about a stand-alone unit like the Pard NV008? I don't have any sort of scope yet, so buying a clip-on for a conventional scope is perhaps not as smart as buying an all-in-one day-and-night unit? Yes or no?

ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 13 Aug 2019, 2:29 pm

I looked into the 008, ended up going for the 007 to allow me to swap between rifles.
Bloke that imported them said the 008 is perhaps 10% better in performance than the 007.
As far as battery life goes, I get many hours out of it, only weighs 250gm as well.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 13 Aug 2019, 3:36 pm

xDom wrote:I looked into the 008, ended up going for the 007 to allow me to swap between rifles.

I know one of these digital scopes, the ATN x-scope 4k pro I think (costs about AU$1.5K), saves "profiles" for each rifle, so you can move it from gun to gun and just call up the profile that includes the zero set, trajectory etc.

The weight is an issue for most people. Some of these digitals are hefty.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 13 Aug 2019, 5:32 pm

I have a compulsive disorder in that I obsessively read up on any item before purchasing. It took me six weeks before buying a pressure washer!
I don’t have first hand experience on any NV gear other than my own stuff, but I’ve read a lot of forums and opinions from others.
There seems to be a lot of people that say the ATN is heavy and has that many bells and whistles on it that it’s too complicated. It’s also said that it freezes up and needs to be rebooted on occasion.
The Pard is simple and light.
As I said, it’s only what I’ve read.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 13 Aug 2019, 5:36 pm

From Pulsar video on Gen 1 Gen2 etc

xDom wrote:the ATN is heavy and has that many bells and whistles on it that it’s too complicated. It’s also said that it freezes up and needs to be rebooted on occasion. The Pard is simple and light.

Exactly the sort of feedback I need, thanks! It's also much cheaper
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 13 Aug 2019, 5:42 pm

If you do decide to go for the 007/008 I read that some have had issues with the EBay specials from China. Things like the menu being in Chinese.
Maybe better to pay a little more and get one from an Aussie importer.

Check out the links I put up before, Night Hunter.
You can email the guy and ask questions.
I think Pete got his real cheap, from where , I don’t know. have a chat to him
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 13 Aug 2019, 5:56 pm

Changing from Chinese to English is probably only a menu setting away. There's a google app that can translate for you just by pointing your phone at it. But thanks, yes, may be better to go with Night Hunter.

First want to do as you did, lots of research :)
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Aug 2019, 6:46 pm

I cant talk about the new ATN x-sight 4k pro but I did but one of there older x-sight 2's after reading all the hype about there cheaper digital night vision
I fried mine before being able to get it on a rifle and had a fair bit of trouble getting a refund, had to go to the maker to get an exchange
I had it sold before I received it, I would not buy another, the product was full of false promises that you had to wait for a patch to be bought out for a fix and most of the fixes were done by users who were good with that type of thing, you cant believe the salesman, but Pete and Xdom have these pard nv007's and can be relied on for a true review, I'm hinting at the kids and better half for one for xmass
like Xdom I would get the the pard nv007 because I would like to be able to fit the nv to multiple rifles :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 13 Aug 2019, 8:05 pm

Looks like the market here for digital NV in Australia is mostly Pard NV007 and some ATN. Anybody bought the Sightmark Wraith yet? There must be a heap of other offerings around too .... I mean, these things are basically just digicams with an IR light thrown in on the side. There should be heaps.

Also would be good to hear from someone with the ATN X-Sight 4K Pro. Marksman, you are not the first report about the crappiness of their products, but I have seen some rave reviews as well.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ramshackle » 14 Aug 2019, 9:20 am

ATN X-Scope II vs pigs https://youtu.be/lATDjYAWBkU

Good review of Sightmark Wraith https://youtu.be/GkgxHBoCjGE

Digital Night Vision vs Thermal https://youtu.be/7hYJ9BRIvdU
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 14 Aug 2019, 12:42 pm

ramshackle wrote:From Pulsar video on Gen 1 Gen2 etc

xDom wrote:the ATN is heavy and has that many bells and whistles on it that it’s too complicated. It’s also said that it freezes up and needs to be rebooted on occasion. The Pard is simple and light.

That photo looks phony baloney to me. Lets see the same man in the same stance and same exact lighting conditions for a side by side comparison.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by mickb » 14 Aug 2019, 4:33 pm

Yes that photo is dodgy. Can someone explain what they mean by the digital NV example? Do they mean the cheapo stuff sold as digital? No way it works better than gen 2 and gen 3, at least the stuff I have seen.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by ramshackle » 14 Aug 2019, 5:28 pm

marksman wrote:I cant talk about the new ATN x-sight 4k pro but I did but one of there older x-sight 2's after reading all the hype about there cheaper digital night vision. I fried mine before being able to get it on a rifle and had a fair bit of trouble getting a refund, had to go to the maker to get an exchange
I had it sold before I received it, I would not buy another, the product was full of false promises

The Amazon 1-star reviews of the ATN X-Sight 4K Pro would tend to support your experience, Marksman
https://www.amazon.com/ATN-Corporation- ... filter-bar

I see there may be some value in treating these new digiscopes that do everything bar wash the dishes with a degree of caution and scepticism. To that end, a simple add-on with a limited job to do, like the Pard NV007, may offer advantages.

Only problem is that I cannot find the Pard NV007 reviewed extensively anywhere, e.g. Amazon has only 1 review.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 14 Aug 2019, 8:13 pm

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 14 Aug 2019, 9:47 pm

Thanks, good video. If your existing scope has a focus ring and the Pard has one too, has does that work out?
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 15 Aug 2019, 12:55 am

Quite well,and completely necessary
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ramshackle » 15 Aug 2019, 8:46 am

Thanks BigPete. Some comments I've seen on the NV007:

Used both this and the NV008 (way better) It's very light and a great idea BUT the biggest problem this unit has is the in built 4x magnification - you get a very limited field of view, because it kind of turns a 4x setting on a scope into 16x : it's like looking into your scope, with a magnifying glass - all you can see is the center area of your reticle. This unit would be far far more useful had it been 1- 4 x mag

and in response to someone who said the NV007 is only good as a spotter scope and has poor onboard IR:

You're right about it being good as a spotter but to say its only good for 70yrds on a scope is pure rubbish.. I have one on a Hawke Vanguard scope and I can see 400 plus with its own IR. The reason you're saying it's not good with the top end IRs is because you're using LED IRs and the Pard 007 and 008 needs laser IRs then when set up correctly you will be amazed how good they are... you have it on the wrong scope and the wrong IRs

A YT channel called Drewslab commented on the NV007:

I can tell you I tested this against a Photon RT and Photon XT and ATN 4k. The rear addon (NV007), RT and 4k were about the same the XT photon was still better image than them all.

Here is the same guy showing that an external quality IR (PBIR-X 850nm IR Iluminator) gives much better range https://youtu.be/PTT0t81Hz_8
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 15 Aug 2019, 9:14 am

Well,it don't have an inbuilt 4x magnification for starters lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ramshackle » 15 Aug 2019, 9:37 am

bigpete wrote:Well,it don't have an inbuilt 4x magnification for starters lol

Yeah, weird comment wasn't it? Maybe he's referring to the 3.5 digital zoom the Pard has? (Continuous digital Zoom: 1x/3.5x)
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 15 Aug 2019, 12:06 pm

If you’re only going to be shooting out to 150m, I wouldn’t worry about any of those magnification comments.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by xDom » 17 Aug 2019, 9:52 am

Blr243 wrote:Pulsar accolade xp50 are my binos. I have heard before that nv is better for identification but I just can’t get any use out of mine ......it’s a pulsar 355 with after market wolf eyes Ir torch ...at what distance can u identity and take a clear shot with your nv clip on ?

I’ve been watching some YouTube video of the Accolade. Impressive.
What model is your thermal scope?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 17 Aug 2019, 12:41 pm

Scope is an xp50 pulsar. I think it has the same specs as the binos I bought the scope first and I scanned for game with it too but it was too uncomfortable raising the rifle and swinging it. I found that I would miss opportunities because I was not scanning enough. I had planned to keep the binos in a proper pouch on my chest to protect them but when walking at night it’s too hard taking them out of the pouch all the time so now they just hang on my neck and it’s easy to scan whenever I want. Daytime walking you are always looking 100 per cent of the time but walking in the dark you are really only effectively scanning when your binos are up in front of your eyes. Otherwise you are not seeing jack all. So u really gotta be scanning with those binos all the time to ensure your not missing opportunities
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Aug 2019, 12:44 pm

The pulsar nv 355 riflescope and the thermal binos and the thermal scope all take exactly the same battery and that is an absolute godsend. I carry spare batts just in case. And I leave all units turned on all the time. They give very good battery life and I have never ran out on a walk
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Aug 2019, 12:46 pm

I’ll be taking this gear back to my favourite spot roughly one week from now. Can’t wait. Going nuts. Nothing else matters
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by xDom » 17 Aug 2019, 1:05 pm

Blr243 wrote: Can’t wait. Going nuts. Nothing else matters

LOL.. good onya.

Did you do much research before buying the binoculars? Did you try out the Pulsar xp38’s at all?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Scopes, sights and optics