NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by Plinker99 » 19 Jul 2019, 10:22 am

Just a heads up for those wishing to complete their photo advice, call ahead and ask them if their systems are working. found that out the hard way after driving 40km to my nearest RMS, only to be told it couldn't be done,

Yes Razor the dates seem to be spot on so far, probably confirming that everything is dealt with in batches.
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 21 Jul 2019, 3:39 pm

Latest on my journey...

29/4 - Application via ServiceNSW completed
10/5 - Letter from FAR received in post confirming lodgment of application dated 3/5. Letter mentioned minimum processing time is 6 to 8 weeks.
7/7 - Status changed to ‘referred to ServiceNSW for issue’.
17/7 - Letter for photo license finally arrived. Unfortunately i've been away so off to visit tomorrow to get it done.

Sons minors permit that was submitted at the same time has still had no movement. I've emailed and called and they stated the following in an email
"In relation to (my sons name) minors permit application. We have received the application but due to high volumes of applications being received it has not been scanned into our system as yet."
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 21 Jul 2019, 8:07 pm

ckraus wrote:17/7 - Letter for photo license finally arrived. Unfortunately i've been away so off to visit tomorrow to get it done.

Congrats ckraus :thumbsup: Welcome to all our newly licensed guys! Lots of fun to be had for u :thumbsup:

ckraus wrote:Sons minors permit that was submitted at the same time has still had no movement. I've emailed and called and they stated the following in an email
"In relation to (my sons name) minors permit application. We have received the application but due to high volumes of applications being received it has not been scanned into our system as yet."

Thanks for the update but shame about the status :x

.. I read in this thread same time last year it was only a month: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=10312

Earlier this year (Jan 2019), I was told by other members of the hunting club that it would be a couple of weeks.

Will let everyone know of the progress for my kids minors permit applications (Cat A+B).

Took 2 weeks from the date I posted via express post for them to take payment so far.
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 23 Jul 2019, 8:19 am

29/4 - Application via ServiceNSW completed
10/5 - Letter from FAR received in post confirming lodgment of application dated 3/5. Letter mentioned minimum processing time is 6 to 8 weeks.
18/7 - ServiceNSW referral letter arrived (11 days to post 1 letter)
19/7 - Photo advice completed at ServiceNSW
23/7 - Status updated to Valid on the NSW FAR website
24/7 - Systems sync'd and allowed me to submit PTA
25/7 - Physical Card arrived in the mail

I guess that makes me fully licensed for category A/B Longarms. Just a few days shy of 3 months from application to completion, at least the whole process is simple & efficient :sarcasm:
Last edited by Plinker99 on 25 Jul 2019, 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by K2bonsai » 24 Jul 2019, 3:45 pm

K2bonsai wrote:Application went into the system on the 13th May and still waiting for a status change.

Still no change in status and this has now been over 10 weeks.... With time frames like that you would expect that they are dealing with hundreds of thousands of new applications every year in NSW :unknown:

I guess as someone stated, they probably hold it for 28 days before moving it from one pile on someones desk to the second pile so the 6-8 weeks needs to have an extra 4 weeks on top. Maybe it might get done over the next 2 weeks??!?? :thumbsdown:
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 25 Jul 2019, 9:36 am

K2bonsai wrote:Still no change in status and this has now been over 10 weeks.... With time frames like that you would expect that they are dealing with hundreds of thousands of new applications every year in NSW :unknown:

I guess as someone stated, they probably hold it for 28 days before moving it from one pile on someones desk to the second pile so the 6-8 weeks needs to have an extra 4 weeks on top. Maybe it might get done over the next 2 weeks??!?? :thumbsdown:

More than likely your license will be referred to ServiceNSW over Friday night/Saturday morning. Fingers crossed you will be updated in a few days time.

All the best mate :thumbsup:
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 25 Jul 2019, 1:21 pm

K2bonsai wrote:Maybe it might get done over the next 2 weeks??!?? :thumbsdown:

I'm waiting for "target" to be added to my "hunters" licence ... I was warned there was about a 10 - 12 week delay by the club I joined .. so you're hopefully almost there :thumbsup:

Let us know how you go.

Plinker99 wrote:29/4 - Application via ServiceNSW completed
18/7 - ServiceNSW referral letter arrived (11 days to post 1 letter)
19/7 - Photo advice completed at ServiceNSW
23/7 - Status updated to Valid on the NSW FAR website
24/7 - Systems sync'd and allowed me to submit PTA

Good stuff Plinker99 .. just waiting on the card then? (and the PTA :roll:)

.. but having the card is great, cause you can always hire a gun at the range / borrow a gun out on the field .. handle guns at the gun shop, etc ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 25 Jul 2019, 4:01 pm

rookie wrote:I'm waiting for "target" to be added to my "hunters" licence ... I was warned there was about a 10 - 12 week delay by the club I joined .. so you're hopefully almost there :thumbsup:

Once this gets approved will it mean that you will get a new photo advice and eventually a new card? I would have thought that this would be a bit quicker than a new application!

rookie wrote:Good stuff Plinker99 .. just waiting on the card then? (and the PTA :roll:)

.. but having the card is great, cause you can always hire a gun at the range / borrow a gun out on the field .. handle guns at the gun shop, etc ..

The card arrived this afternoon mate, now just the final wait to go...
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 25 Jul 2019, 4:02 pm

Received a reply from my member...
Attachments
DE9D3BDC-9A17-41AE-9E80-FF3FDC90F7AB.jpeg
Write to your members guys... nowhere on the website does it state a 4 week hold period... I’ve worked in corporate long enough to know when someone’s gaming the stats
DE9D3BDC-9A17-41AE-9E80-FF3FDC90F7AB.jpeg (510.87 KiB) Viewed 4936 times
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 25 Jul 2019, 5:06 pm

Plinker99 wrote:
rookie wrote:I'm waiting for "target" to be added to my "hunters" licence ...

Once this gets approved will it mean that you will get a new photo advice and eventually a new card?

Yep, another $75 .. :roll:

Plinker99 wrote:I would have thought that this would be a bit quicker than a new application!

Yeah, I would have thought it was a matter of making sure the target club (popular clay target club and member of ACTA) was still accredited and that was it. Maybe they do an updated criminal history check or something ..

But I'm not changing categories, etc, so thought it would be a rubber stamp ..

The hard thing is that nothing gets added to the online licence checker thing ... so there is no "pending" application for target.

Over the weekend, I'll go down the range where I know an RO when through the same thing between Feb to May and confirm that he didn't see anything on the online check when he went thru the same process.

Plinker99 wrote:The card arrived this afternoon mate, now just the final wait to go...

Woo hoo! :drinks: .. good having the card in your hands ... congrats!

jedipimp wrote:Received a reply from my member...

Good stuff .. so still no progress since the original application since 14 May?

Sounds similar to K2bonsai who applied 13 May ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 26 Jul 2019, 5:05 am

Plinker99 wrote:I guess that makes me fully licensed for category A/B Longarms. Just a few days shy of 3 months from application to completion, at least the whole process is simple & efficient :sarcasm:

Mine finally went valid on the FAR website yesterday and this morning was able to submit my PTA.

Now all I have to do is hope my sons permit moves along and something faster than a snails pace.

Chris
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 27 Jul 2019, 5:44 pm

rookie wrote:

Nope, no progress... was hoping to see some movement in the mythical Saturday morning batch
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 27 Jul 2019, 5:44 pm

rookie wrote:

Nope, no progress... was hoping to see some movement in the mythical Saturday morning batch
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 27 Jul 2019, 7:27 pm

ckraus wrote:Mine finally went valid on the FAR website yesterday and this morning was able to submit my PTA.

Congrats mate :thumbsup: finally some progress for u

ckraus wrote:Now all I have to do is hope my sons permit moves along and something faster than a snails pace.

It’s B/S isn’t it .. when u wanna do something with your kids and stuff ups like this just fs things up .. hope u get the minors permit before u get the PTA

jedipimp wrote:
rookie wrote: .. so still no progress since the original application since 14 May?

Bugger .. my application for a new genuine reason is about 3 weeks behind yours

I have a theory they won’t touch any May applications until August - leaving two full clear months (June and July) inbetween them where they don’t touch anything. Saves them from actually having to calculate 28 days and gives them a one month buffer incase any of them actually read anything wrong ..

If they miss processing your application during that month (like ckraus minor’s application) you just get shoved to the following month .. no fast tracking to “make good” on any stuff ups ..

Mine was lodged first thing in June, so if I don’t get progressed til September they probably only look at it once a month ... if August, they might be looking at applications twice a month ... will see
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by K2bonsai » 28 Jul 2019, 3:46 pm

Woohoo, the magic Saturday sweep is apparently a thing as my status has now changed!!

13th May - Submitted and advised of wait 6-8 weeks
27th July - NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS

Now to wait for the the next stage - at least we are on the way!
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 02 Aug 2019, 6:56 pm

Received a call from FAR today to tell me that my application has been reviewed and that I should see a status update over the weekend.

They called because of the email to my member of parliament. I reiterated the reason for my escalation was not that the process was taking too long but rather the false information provided by staff when you call.

Today they confirmed that there is no holding/cooling off period for the license application process - only the first PTA. The legislation says that a license may not be permitted in less than 28 days - fine the letter says 6-8 weeks!

So, it will have been 12 weeks between my application submission and photo advice status - probably 13 by the time the letter arrives. It’s simply a backlog they can’t get through quick enough.

Staff at FAR should now advise which application dates are being reviewed when applicants call rather than treating us like mushrooms.
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 03 Aug 2019, 8:15 pm

K2bonsai wrote:Woohoo, the magic Saturday sweep is apparently a thing as my status has now changed!!

Congrats :thumbsup:

jedipimp wrote:Received a call from FAR today to tell me that my application has been reviewed and that I should see a status update over the weekend.

How’d u go?

jedipimp wrote:It’s simply a backlog they can’t get through quick enough.

They state the obvious :roll: .. the underlying question is if their management team have got strategies to reduce the backlog ..

jedipimp wrote:Staff at FAR should now advise which application dates are being reviewed when applicants call

That’s a good thing ..

Thanks for taking it up with your MP Jedi and sharing the outcome :thumbsup: hope uv made progress
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 05 Aug 2019, 12:53 pm

rookie wrote:
jedipimp wrote:Received a call from FAR today to tell me that my application has been reviewed and that I should see a status update over the weekend.

How’d u go?

Went well, seen the status change come through in the Saturday morning batch, just waiting on the service NSW letter now.
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by K2bonsai » 06 Aug 2019, 5:57 pm

Went in to a Service NSW office today with my photo advise letter in hand. Remembering back to a post by someone here about not all service NSW offices being able to do photos which from memory is also mentioned in the letter I thought the following experience quite amusing:

My number came up and walked to the counter handing over my letter and my current drivers license for proof of who I am.... The person serving then asks, "did you want a new photo taken or should we just use the one from your drivers license that is in the system?"

So they have the ability to just use an already existing photo yet they stop you from being processed at an office that can't take photos - lol
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 06 Aug 2019, 6:14 pm

K2bonsai wrote:Went in to a Service NSW office today with my photo advise letter in hand. Remembering back to a post by someone here about not all service NSW offices being able to do photos which from memory is also mentioned in the letter I thought the following experience quite amusing:

My number came up and walked to the counter handing over my letter and my current drivers license for proof of who I am.... The person serving then asks, "did you want a new photo taken or should we just use the one from your drivers license that is in the system?"

So they have the ability to just use an already existing photo yet they stop you from being processed at an office that can't take photos - lol

All Service NSW centres don't do photos on the spot any more, unlike the old RTAs. The photo cards are produced in Parkes and mailed out with a 2 week window.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 12 Aug 2019, 1:58 pm

29/05/19 Applied, sent paper based application via registered Express Post
25/06/19 Got a letter advising 6-8 weeks and a number, FAR website says "NEW APPLICATION IN PROGRESS - NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS"
12/08/19 not status update, still waiting.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by K2bonsai » 12 Aug 2019, 10:15 pm

I predict you will see it change on sat the 14th September.

I am now awaiting my PTAs, anyone know if it is 28 days or 28 working days?
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 13 Aug 2019, 9:00 am

mikejay wrote:12/08/19 not status update, still waiting.

I rang up yesterday checking on my application .. they said they’re starting to look at applications from late May and start of June.

For minors permits, they said they’re only scanning in start of May applications :o

Mikejay - start counting from the date of the letter they sent you or the date they say they got it on the online checker thing .. disregard the 28 Days or 6-8 weeks - current delay is more like 10-12 weeks from that date.

K2bonsai wrote:I am now awaiting my PTAs, anyone know if it is 28 days or 28 working days?

Should be 28 calendar days plus a week to process - you can check daily (after the 28 days) as the PTA status can change on any day (not like licenses which appear to change Saturday mornings) :thumbsup:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 13 Aug 2019, 11:46 am

rookie wrote:
mikejay wrote:12/08/19 not status update, still waiting.

I rang up yesterday checking on my application .. they said they’re starting to look at applications from late May and start of June.

For minors permits, they said they’re only scanning in start of May applications :o

Mikejay - start counting from the date of the letter they sent you or the date they say they got it on the online checker thing .. disregard the 28 Days or 6-8 weeks - current delay is more like 10-12 weeks from that date.

Fingers crossed then, im at 76 days from the date on the website, which puts me in the middle of the 10-12 weeks.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by grumpyaardvark » 14 Aug 2019, 8:05 am

grumpyaardvark wrote:
rookie wrote:Congrats grumpyaardvark, Plinker99, razor22, ckraus! Almost there :thumbsup:

Yup, all progress. Waiting on the PTA now. Dealer has the rifle I bought and had shipped to him. He tells me it looks really good, but I'm resisting the temptation to go have a look until I can pick it up. Sometime over the next few weeks need to get the safe installed...

PTA issued 7 August, given my initial license application went in on 4 April that's four months from license application to issue of first PTA.

Better get that safe installed so I can go get my rifle! :D
grumpyaardvark
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 14 Aug 2019, 12:51 pm

Has anyone here been approved in the last few days from the late May - early June applications?
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 15 Aug 2019, 10:38 am

grumpyaardvark wrote:Better get that safe installed so I can go get my rifle! :D

Good stuff mate :thumbsup: don’t know how you would’ve stayed away from the LGS and not see the rifle you ordered!

mikejay wrote:Has anyone here been approved in the last few days from the late May - early June applications?

03 Jun 2019 - I applied to add a genuine reason to my exisiting “REC HUNT” licence and the online checker was updated overnight (early Thursday morning)!

I now have “TARGET SHOOTING” added. It is on the same line as the REC HUNT and marked as VALID.

Next step will be to await the ServiceNSW photo advice letter ..

During this process no “pending” application was added to the online checker .. so other than the ServiceNSW application you’re pretty much in the dark as to progress.

Gotta assume they treated it as a fresh application with a cooling off period even though my categories haven’t changed.
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Col » 17 Aug 2019, 4:16 pm

My daughter applied for her first licence (Cat A, B, and C) back in May. Got the letter stating received 5th June 2019 and have been following on line to see the prgress.

Got the sh@ts last week and got her to call, lovely girl told us that it shouldnt be too long. Also confirmed all mail goes to Murwillumbah , then redirected to Parramatta for central processing, then back up to Murwillumbah to the FAR. She did agree that it was a "bit backwards".

Any way upshot of all this is I checked on line this morning and all approved just have to wait for letter in the mail I presume.

Licence Type Genuine Reason Application Date Issue Date Expiry Date Status
A PRIMARY PRODUCTION, REC HUNT - OWNER RURAL LAND, REC HUNT - PERMISSION SHOOT 05-06-2019 17-10-2024 NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS
B PRIMARY PRODUCTION, REC HUNT - OWNER RURAL LAND, REC HUNT - PERMISSION SHOOT 05-06-2019 17-10-2024 NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS
C PRIMARY PRODUCTION 05-06-2019 17-10-2024 NEW APP REFERRED TO SERVICE NSW FOR ISSUE-NOT AUTHORISED FOR FIREARMS

Only 10 weeks to this stage, now to wait on snail mail to deliver photo advice and then the Service NSW delay for photo from Parkes.

Will keep you posted.

Col
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ayasi » 18 Aug 2019, 3:08 pm

Hi,
Does any one know which 'new licence application' dates the NSW firearms registry is currently processing? (eg. early or mid June appications)
Ayasi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by webdogs » 19 Aug 2019, 10:04 pm

Hi all,
I did the online application 22 July and got the Acknowledgment Letter within a week. The letter is dated 26 July.

What's everyone's best estimate on when I get the notification to go for the photo? (Got a trip planned late Oct)

What happens after the photo? Another wait or good to go? Or does the photo licence then come with the PTA?

Thanks in advance.
webdogs
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws