Recommendations for IR Illuminators Infrared Torches

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Recommendations for IR Illuminators Infrared Torches

Post by ramshackle » 15 Aug 2019, 9:28 am

There seems to be no dedicated thread, so let's have one. Recommedations please.

ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Recommendations for IR Illuminators Infrared Torches

Post by Blr243 » 15 Aug 2019, 4:21 pm

I have a big wolf eyes that runs on rechargeable 18650 batts. I think I get about 200 m of effective range out of it. I shall try it again next week when I go bush and I will let u know
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ramshackle » 15 Aug 2019, 4:27 pm

Thanks BLR243

Meanwhile from eBay, the cheapest offering for $24 delivered:

Model: CR-1706 850NM

LED Emitter Type: Osram IR 850NM

wavelength 850nm

Lamp Life: 100,000 Hours

Power Source: 1x 18650 battery (Not included battery)

Modes: 1 Modes (High)

Input Voltage: 3.6~4.2 V

Operate temperature: -5 ~ +50 degrees Celsius

Switch: Tail keystroke switch

Construction: Shockproof and waterproof

Lens: 38mm convex lens ,External diameter of 41.8mm flat tempered glass dust

Color Black

Running Hour: 2-6 hours

Dimensions: 137mm(+12mm)(Length)/44.5mm(Head)/24mm(Body)/25mm(Tail)

Weight: 176g

Material of Product: Aluminum Alloy

The perfect IR illuminator for your Night Vision needs:

DIY night vision

Package :

1xCOURUI CR-1706 Flashlight(not included battery)

and this one is $35 delivered

Zoomable Focus 7 Watt 850 nm LED Infrared Radiation IR Lamp Night Vision Flashlight Torch.

NOTE

-INVISIBLE IR LIGHT: VASTFIRE IR 850NM is NOT a regular flashlight with white LED for general lighting purpose. PLEASE NOTE THAT: You won’t see any light with your bare eyes (Only a small and faint red glow on the LED to show you that the torch is on)

-Emits infrared light with 850nm wavelength, Suitable to use with a night vision scope, NVS, NVG DIY, camera phones, monocular, goggles and camera which doesn't block infra red light

-Spot light to 200 yards, Flood light to 100 yards with adding this to GEN 1 NVGs when Shooting coyotes fox Hog Wild Pig Varmint Predator Deer

-ASPERICAL LENS: 38MM Lens rotary focusing function enable the ability to focus in for a tight spotlight or back out for a flood effect, especially designed for long range illuminations. T20 can illuminate much farther with focused beam, compared with illuminator without focusing functions.

-SOLID BODY : Body made of Aircraft Aluminum Alloy. Housing Diameter: 25.4mm.Fit with any 25.4mm ring and mount.

*100% Brand New and High Quality

*Easy for carrying with the strap

*Waterproof design ( Not for diving, don't place it into water)

*Built of high quality aluminum alloy, and it has a very solid construction

*Using the 7W 850nm IR LED bulb,could be found Night vision goggles or camera

*Power by:1X18650 3.7-4.2v( Battery not included )

*Also designed to mount on certain hand pistols, rifles and shotguns with proper mounting equipment

*Ideal for night activities, such as hunting

*Mode: 1 (On/Off)

*Lens: 38mm Glass lens

*Housing Diameter: 25.4mm (Fit with any 25.4mm Ring or Mount)

*Color: Black

*Weight: 180g

Package included

1 x VastFire 850nm LED flashlight ( battery is not included)
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ramshackle » 15 Aug 2019, 4:35 pm

There seems to be 2 different kinds of IR, one LED and one laser. Is this correct?

And apparently you need 850nm and not 940nm for digital night vision https://youtu.be/oKwiWIFVsck
Last edited by ramshackle on 15 Aug 2019, 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 15 Aug 2019, 4:40 pm

I’ve got a cheapie, called the ST67. The bloke that sold me the Pard included it in the package.
Seems to be adequate out to maybe 150-175m
Think Night Hunters sell them as well. Interchangeable lenses.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 15 Aug 2019, 7:13 pm

you have to keep us updated on your pard xDom
I want to hear all the news about upgrades and things that dont work :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by xDom » 15 Aug 2019, 8:33 pm

ramshackle wrote:There seems to be 2 different kinds of IR, one LED and one laser. Is this correct?

And apparently you need 840nm and not 940nm for digital night vision https://youtu.be/oKwiWIFVsck

From my reading there are two commercially available wavelengths. 850nm and 940nm.

I'm gonna go off on a tangent here.. If its Radio waves, IR, Visible light, Microwaves, Gamma waves etc.. its all the same. Its Electromagnetic Radiation.
It's the frequency that changes the properties ( 850nm is a higher frequency than 940nm).

Red light is in the lowest part of the visible light spectrum, that explains how sticking a red filter on a torch spooks the critters less but also allows us to see less.

850nm illuminators are a good compromise for hunters, it's a balance between human optical vision and nervous critter disturbance.

You can go lower in the spectrum ie. 940nm and cause no disturbance at all, the trade off being that you see a lot less.

If a being looks onto the illuminator of a 850nm, they see a faint glow. If a being looks into a 940nm they see nothing, hence why this frequency is favoured by the military. The trade off being, us hunters lose a lot of visibility.
What I read is, if your target are armed and are looking for your location, prol better to go for the 940nM...

If you're shooting rabbits, go the 850. :thumbsup:
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 15 Aug 2019, 9:11 pm

Thanks, xdom. Here's a visual representation of where IR sits

850nm does seem to be the sweet spot for digital NV, whereas apparently the 940nm suits the photocathodes Gen 3+
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ramshackle » 15 Aug 2019, 9:35 pm

"saving money on an illuminator is the worst mistake you can make". These guys suggest getting a cheaper NV scope rather than a cheaper illuminator.
https://youtu.be/dL3j1tDnqQw

Oddly, they say for digital NV a 915nm or 940nm is best. WTF? I thought 850nm was best for digital?

Apparently you also MUST have a focussing torch.

Beam adjustment is also a nice-to-have for longer distance shooters
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ramshackle » 17 Aug 2019, 2:03 pm

Is there any way to compare one IR Illuminator to another? Some parameters so you can say one is more powerful than another? Or worth more than another?
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 18 Aug 2019, 8:24 am

ramshackle wrote:Is there any way to compare one IR Illuminator to another? Some parameters so you can say one is more powerful than another? Or worth more than another?

Good question. I’ve never seen or taken notice of any parameters on IR illuminators.
If it’s anything like regular torches any specs would have to be taken with a grain of salt.

When you see a $200 Olight torch advertised at 1000 lumens and a $29 EBay torch advertising 4000 lumens, you have to think that the eBay torch is taking liberties in its description!

I guess the only real way is either personally comparing them which is difficult or take other posters words on different models.

As for that comment about 940nm being the best for hunting, I don’t know what to say about that.
As I said before, anything I know about this topic is from reading stuff on the internet as opposed to using in the real world!
There’s plenty of articles on 850nm vs 940nm ( not just for hunting but for all the other IR uses ). They seem to suggest as I stated before. 850 gives you more visibility but 940 hides the location of the IR source.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 18 Aug 2019, 9:50 am

xDom wrote:There’s plenty of articles on 850nm vs 940nm ( not just for hunting but for all the other IR uses ). They seem to suggest as I stated before. 850 gives you more visibility but 940 hides the location of the IR source.

The thing is I've seen videos where the 940nm is barely visible on a digital NV scope, whereas the 850 works fine. Who to believe?
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics