Slazenger Wood Stock on British SMLE No1 Mk3 1919

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Slazenger Wood Stock on British SMLE No1 Mk3 1919

Post by FlattyHunter » 15 Aug 2019, 9:12 am

Hi Everyone

I have just recently put on layby a British SMLE No1 Mk3 manufactured in 1919 which has matching numbers. The firearms dealer told me that the stock however, was replaced with an Australian Stock apparently made by Slazenger which the markings indicate.

Just wondering if someone can shed some light on why this may have been done?

I was reading that Australia sourced weapons from the UK during WW2 to keep up with supply. Wondering if I'm on the right track?
FlattyHunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Slazenger Wood Stock on British SMLE No1 Mk3 1919

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2019, 2:30 pm

FlattyHunter wrote:Hi Everyone

I have just recently put on layby a British SMLE No1 Mk3 manufactured in 1919 which has matching numbers. The firearms dealer told me that the stock however, was replaced with an Australian Stock apparently made by Slazenger which the markings indicate.

Just wondering if someone can shed some light on why this may have been done?

I was reading that Australia sourced weapons from the UK during WW2 to keep up with supply. Wondering if I'm on the right track?

Does the stock have any numbers matching the rifle?
Maybe the rifle had been sporterised so a previous owner put an original stock back on it?
Is all the wood a matching set or odd pieces?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlattyHunter » 15 Aug 2019, 3:18 pm

Hi Bladracer,

Yep, matching set. There are also numbers that have been stamped into the wood that match the serial number on the rifle.
FlattyHunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2019, 3:24 pm

FlattyHunter wrote:Hi Bladracer,

Yep, matching set. There are also numbers that have been stamped into the wood that match the serial number on the rifle.

Then I would say you are on the right track. Has the rifle been FTR'ed at all?
Maybe we had plenty of wood so we only imported barreled actions during the war?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlattyHunter » 15 Aug 2019, 3:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:
FlattyHunter wrote:Hi Bladracer,

Then I would say you are on the right track. Has the rifle been FTR'ed at all?
Maybe we had plenty of wood so we only imported barreled actions during the war?

Hi Bladracer.

Can't remember if had been stamped as being repaired. Matey, just to confirm, would the FTR mark indicate it had been stringently gone over to pass it for use in service?
FlattyHunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2019, 3:59 pm

FlattyHunter wrote:Can't remember if had been stamped as being repaired. Matey, just to confirm, would the FTR mark indicate it had been stringently gone over to pass it for use in service?

I just thought that if the original stock was damaged in some way it might've been replaced during FTR, and stamped to match the action

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=59392.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlattyHunter » 15 Aug 2019, 4:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
FlattyHunter wrote:Can't remember if had been stamped as being repaired. Matey, just to confirm, would the FTR mark indicate it had been stringently gone over to pass it for use in service?

I just thought that if the original stock was damaged in some way it might've been replaced during FTR, and stamped to match the action

Hi Bladracer,

Just thinking about your thoughts on it. I guess what your saying would be the only explanation for the Australian stock. I'm pretty sure I'll see an FTR mark on the woodwork when I pick it up.
FlattyHunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2019, 4:47 pm

FlattyHunter wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Hi Bladracer,

Just thinking about your thoughts on it. I guess what your saying would be the only explanation for the Australian stock. I'm pretty sure I'll see an FTR mark on the woodwork when I pick it up.

Mine is a '43 Lithgow FTR.
Attachments
20190815_163722b.jpg
20190815_163722b.jpg (144.55 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
20190815_163933b.jpg
20190815_163933b.jpg (285.53 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlattyHunter » 15 Aug 2019, 5:13 pm

Mate,
Looks like it's in awesome condition. Was the finish on the stock like that when you bought it, or did you have to restore it. The one I've put on layby isnt that nice.
FlattyHunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2019, 5:45 pm

FlattyHunter wrote:Mate,
Looks like it's in awesome condition. Was the finish on the stock like that when you bought it, or did you have to restore it. The one I've put on layby isnt that nice.

It is a very nice example I think, and I haven't laid a finger on it other than a light external oiling.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlattyHunter » 15 Aug 2019, 6:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
FlattyHunter wrote:Mate,

It is a very nice example I think, and I haven't laid a finger on it other than a light external oiling.

Nice one Bladeracer,

It is a very nice example.

I'm really on the lookout for a Lithgow No1 Mk3 manafactured between the dates of 1915 to 1918. Two of my great uncles, being my grandfathers older brothers served in the Australian Lighthorse in WW1. They were in the 12th LH regiment and took part in the charge at Beersheeba, which I'm pretty proud of. Wanting to get my hands on the type of rifle they would have been using at that time.

Guess I just have to be patient and one will come my way eventually.
FlattyHunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2019, 7:10 pm

FlattyHunter wrote:It is a very nice example.

I'm really on the lookout for a Lithgow No1 Mk3 manafactured between the dates of 1915 to 1918. Two of my great uncles, being my grandfathers older brothers served in the Australian Lighthorse in WW1. They were in the 12th LH regiment and took part in the charge at Beersheeba, which I'm pretty proud of. Wanting to get my hands on the type of rifle they would have been using at that time.

That'd be awesome to find one with a family connection,
There was a "303" in Rose's family but it was sold decades ago, that's one I would've liked to find and bring back into the family.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlattyHunter » 15 Aug 2019, 8:26 pm

bladeracer wrote:
FlattyHunter wrote:It is a very nice example.

That'd be awesome to find one with a family connection,
There was a "303" in Rose's family but it was sold decades ago, that's one I would've liked to find and bring back into the family.

Yeah mate for sure. I have seen on youtube that people have tracked down certain weapons that were used by their family members. Remember seeing a youtube post where a grandson located his pops rifle he used in WW2 and gave it back to him. You could see the emotion in the old fellas face. He must have had the serial number to be able to locate it.
Pitty there is no records kept linking certain weapons with the soldiers that used them. If that was the case it would be my life long challenge to locate their rifles however difficult and impossible it may have been.

Do you have the serial number of that 303 that was sold
FlattyHunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2019, 9:57 pm

FlattyHunter wrote:Yeah mate for sure. I have seen on youtube that people have tracked down certain weapons that were used by their family members. Remember seeing a youtube post where a grandson located his pops rifle he used in WW2 and gave it back to him. You could see the emotion in the old fellas face. He must have had the serial number to be able to locate it.
Pitty there is no records kept linking certain weapons with the soldiers that used them. If that was the case it would be my life long challenge to locate their rifles however difficult and impossible it may have been.

Do you have the serial number of that 303 that was sold

Yep, I really wish I still had my rego papers from when I was a kid, it might be possible to actually find some of my original rifles.
Nope, I don't know anything about it unfortunately. It was decades ago, and rarely seen by any currently living relatives. I've shown them my No1 and No4 rifles and they can't even tell the difference, let alone recognise either one as the same as the one they knew. They know it was .303 simply because that's what everybody in the family referred to it as.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles