Dies scratching cases storage solution?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Dies scratching cases storage solution?

Post by Skippy84 » 15 Aug 2019, 8:50 am

I reload in large batches so my dies sit around not doing much for up to 6mths or so i spray them with G96 after use and store them in their box on a shelf with the rest of my reloading gear being in far nqld and near the coast things tend to get a bit of rust on them. I found the G96 or WD40 doesn't keep the rust away I'm sick of my dies scratching up the cases and having to stop remove build up brass and start again or buy a new die.

Just wondering if anyone has found a product or method for preventing dies rusting sort of storing them in oil haha. Was thinking soft seal but i understand it can be a pain to remove. Any thoughts?
Skippy84
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Dies scratching cases storage solution?

Post by sungazer » 15 Aug 2019, 8:59 pm

Lanox works pretty well. It has a bit more stickyness to it and it is a true oil. WD40 is a water replant, good for getting things loose but not to stop them rusting. You could also try chainsaw bar lube, that is really sticky and a good machine oil. It would need to be removed before use but better that than rust.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 16 Aug 2019, 6:51 am

I'm in the same boat, also in nqld. I spray with lanox as I put them back in their box, I keep a roll of paper towel on my reloading bench, so when I go to use them again I use paper towel to clean them out and never have any trouble with rust any more
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Aug 2019, 9:42 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote:I'm in the same boat, also in nqld. I spray with lanox as I put them back in their box, I keep a roll of paper towel on my reloading bench, so when I go to use them again I use paper towel to clean them out and never have any trouble with rust any more

Good solution.

Diesel is a very light oil. You could just spray them with that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Aug 2019, 1:43 pm

Use an actual oil or light marine grease - then clean with an evaporate solvent (brake cleaner) prior to use...
Or move to Tassie...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 16 Aug 2019, 3:57 pm

one sure fire way to cease the issue is dunk them in diff oil when ya not using them and use some petrol or something to that effect to clean them off prior to use then put them in the oil again, but I would only do that if the dies were left unused for a long period of time.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by snag » 16 Aug 2019, 5:50 pm

Lanox does the job for me.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Aug 2019, 6:03 pm

CRC Soft Seal is another great product to keep things rust free in extreme environments.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Skippy84 » 18 Aug 2019, 3:19 pm

Awesome thanks for the replys new die ordered will hopefully stay rust free
Skippy84
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 18 Aug 2019, 4:28 pm

you can polish the inside of the die with an old cleaning brush loaded up with steel wool soaked in autosol spun on a drill to fix the scratch problem
I polish my dies before I ever use them and periodically as die maintenance, you can also use car paint wax ect... to stop rust
I use inox but really anything that will put a coating on and wont dry out will work, also when you find the little silica bags use them in the die boxes
:drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition