Maintaining cat h licence in Qld

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Maintaining cat h licence in Qld

Post by Blr243 » 07 Aug 2019, 6:11 pm

Yrs ago all I had to do was 6 practice sessions per year but I went without a licence for ten yrs. now that I have applied again I can’t remember the current requirements is it 6 practice sessions or do I gotta shoot 6 comps per year ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Maintaining cat h licence in Qld

Post by rc42 » 07 Aug 2019, 11:47 pm

To maintain a cat H without possessing any pistols you only have to maintain financial membership of an approved pistol club.

If you have a pistol or multiple pistols on your license that are all within one category (air, centerfire, rimfire. black powder) then you need to compete in a minimum of 6 competitions per year.
If you have pistols in multiple categories then you have to compete in competitions 4 times per year for each category and can only compete in one category on any given day.

Practice sessions are not important for licensing, only competitions.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 07 Aug 2019, 11:58 pm

Just to add, with regard to joining an approved pistol club, you either need an existing firearms license or a QLD police 'Certificate of Eligibility' AND two character references from non family members (that also don't live at the same address as you) that have known your for at least two years.

You then need to attend a pistol club induction and pass a Cat H safety course, fees at pistol clubs are high, most are around $300 per year. After 6 months probation at the club and having participated in 3 competitions you can apply for a Cat H license. The safety course must have been completed within the previous 12 months when applying.

The WLB delays at every step are significantly longer than A/B license and PTA applications for some reason that only they know.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 08 Aug 2019, 5:10 am

Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 Aug 2019, 6:05 pm

Thanks for the info. So six times a year I have to hang out with Dirty Harry wannabe pistol Packin paper punchers. I m up to the challenge
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 09 Aug 2019, 6:10 pm

Its pretty disgusting really. Deterrant by over-qualification. Like if folks had to sit 6 driving tests a year to maintain a car, or do 6 comps to own each type of rifle.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by snag » 16 Aug 2019, 5:57 pm

There is an upside to this however - if the wife complains about you going to the range AGAIN, you can say " But I have to Honey, it's the law!"
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickb » 16 Aug 2019, 7:32 pm

lol
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Chinballs » 17 Aug 2019, 12:50 am

Blr243 wrote:Thanks for the info. So six times a year I have to hang out with Dirty Harry wannabe pistol Packin paper punchers. I m up to the challenge

You don't have to hang out with anyone. At my club I go in whenever I want, shoot a comp on my own and drop my score sheet on the counter on the way out. 99% of our members do the same thing. The term "competition" doesn't mean you have to shoot at an organised, specific time. It means you have to shoot an approved match and record a score.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 17 Aug 2019, 1:54 pm

Chinballs wrote:
Blr243 wrote:Thanks for the info. So six times a year I have to hang out with Dirty Harry wannabe pistol Packin paper punchers. I m up to the challenge

You don't have to hang out with anyone. At my club I go in whenever I want, shoot a comp on my own and drop my score sheet on the counter on the way out. 99% of our members do the same thing. The term "competition" doesn't mean you have to shoot at an organised, specific time. It means you have to shoot an approved match and record a score.

Yep same at mine. Generally called a rolling comp for those that cant or dont want to attend the scheduled shoots.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 25 Nov 2019, 7:05 pm

rc42 wrote:To maintain a cat H without possessing any pistols you only have to maintain financial membership of an approved pistol club.

If you have a pistol or multiple pistols on your license that are all within one category (air, centerfire, rimfire. black powder) then you need to compete in a minimum of 6 competitions per year.
If you have pistols in multiple categories then you have to compete in competitions 4 times per year for each category and can only compete in one category on any given day.

Practice sessions are not important for licensing, only competitions.

So for example if I have one 9mm semi and one 357 revolver I am only required to do 6 shoots per year as they both fall under the same category?
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by 8x57 » 25 Nov 2019, 7:41 pm

So for example if I have one 9mm semi and one 357 revolver I am only required to do 6 shoots per year as they both fall under the same category?

Yes that’s correct
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 26 Nov 2019, 3:47 pm

Hey Toolnup, Also remember we are limited to one pistol in the first 12 months after getting your CatH. So only one rimfire, or one centerfire for the first year. After that you can get as many as the wallet will allow, so long as you can supply a genuine reason for requiring the firearm that cant be satisfied by an existing one on your license. From what I gather, its fairly easy to get two to three of the same action and calibre, but after that it can start to get hard to justify without a collectors license.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 26 Nov 2019, 6:56 pm

Nice, thanks for the clarification.

I've had my CatH for almost 12 months now and have been shooting reasonably regularly so no problem getting the required numbers of shoots up, just nice to know.

Been getting conflicting info from people who have been playing the game a lot longer then me.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Chinballs » 26 Nov 2019, 8:25 pm

Toolnup wrote:Been getting conflicting info from people who have been playing the game a lot longer then me.

My normal attitude is don't believe anything you hear at the range no matter how long the fudds have had their license. Too many people spout off about stuff they have no idea about. If I believed the fudds at my club I wouldn't own a .45ACP amongst a host of other things.

QPS have an excel document that tells you exactly how many shoots you need. Just type in how many of each class you own and it tells you how many shoots of each class you need to do..
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/sites/def ... ulator.xls
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 27 Nov 2019, 4:18 pm

QPS have an excel document that tells you exactly how many shoots you need. Just type in how many of each class you own and it tells you how many shoots of each class you need to do..
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/sites/def ... ulator.xls

:thumbsup:

Thanks.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Jt-2019 » 03 Feb 2020, 8:00 am

Pretty sure its 4 comp shoots per year.
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by rc42 » 04 Feb 2020, 9:50 am

QLD has a minimum of 6 club organised competitions per year.

If you have multiple categories of pistol then it's a minimum of 4 club organised events (practice or competition) per category but there must still be a minimum of 6 competitions included within those organised events.

As there is nowhere else to legally use a sport pistol attendance cards are generally much higher than the minimum requirements.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws