Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by No1_49er » 16 Apr 2019, 8:38 am

Continuation from previous (Jan-Mar) thread
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Apr-Jun 2019

Post by No1_49er » 17 Jun 2019, 6:52 am

No1_49er wrote:Continuation from previous (Jan-Mar) thread

Post by No1_49er » 17 Jun 2019, 6:37 am

bah wrote:
Hi there,

Apologies in advance for adding another post on wait times for new category A/B license and PTA wait times, but I just noticed that the other thread had become quite long and somewhat outdated. I am reaching out to the community to gauge as how long processing times have been for recent successful applicants.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! :drinks:

I thought, at the time, that your new post creating a quarterly section for queries regarding wait times was sensible.
I took the opportunity to create a second one, Apr - Jun, which I haven't seen anybody use.
Maybe I'll re-post, and try and get it started again?

No1_49er
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 17 Jun 2019, 8:52 am

Well over six months waiting to get firerms transfered from one licence to another, so I can surrender first licence, which is due for renewal next month, and I don't want to renew it.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Macross » 23 Jun 2019, 9:21 am

I Applied for my Cat H yesterday 22/06/2019.

Currently not holding an AB license, so had to submit QP0515 form to cop shop to attain a letter of approval to join the pistol club. Put that into the local police station on 18/10/2018 and took 10 weeks to receive letter in the mail. Just finished our six month probation period and submitted license so will post back as it progresses. Online application stated that we should allow 12 weeks for processing and not to contact them prior to that point. Really hoping it doesn't take that long, as already have wife's and my pistol on layby at LGS :)
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Karl » 04 Jul 2019, 1:22 pm

It was 9 weeks and 3 days from online application submission to approval email. Not bad if the recommend wait time is 12 weeks. Just waiting on the post now for the licence card.
Karl
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 16 Jul 2019, 2:54 pm

Hi Karl, would be cool if you could post back when you do get your card in the mail. We can keep an eye on how long that part of the process is averaging as well.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Jul 2019, 3:51 pm

PTA submitted on 26th June.
Approval of PTA confirmed received 10th July.
paper work should be received 10 - 14 days....

Update today 17th July. PTA received in today's mail..... :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RunRabbit » 19 Jul 2019, 7:21 am

I received my approval on Wednesday. It was 7 weeks, 5 days from submitting to being approved. My two PTAs came through the next morning.
Just waiting for it to arrive in the mail now.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 19 Jul 2019, 8:42 am

Wow, under 8 weeks is fast (well, relatively, as an actual wait time it's still an absolute disgrace that WLB should be embarrassed to admit to).
Do you still have to wait for the license card to turn up in the post?

I understand that WLB will email the approved PTA to dealers directly, I assume that means that we don't need a paper copy so they don't send one. Can anyone confirm that?
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Macross » 19 Jul 2019, 10:25 am

Its been 4 weeks since I did my online application... Getting excited every time I think about being able to pick up my new pistol... Seeing RunRabbit's post makes me even more excited :D Heres hoping I might be lucky and even beet his record :O
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RunRabbit » 19 Jul 2019, 10:54 am

I still have to wait for the licence to arrive in the mail. Not sure if the emailed version if the PTA is acceptable but I have to wait for the licence so it doesn't matter at this srage.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 19 Jul 2019, 11:51 am

rc42 wrote:Wow, under 8 weeks is fast (well, relatively, as an actual wait time it's still an absolute disgrace that WLB should be embarrassed to admit to).
Do you still have to wait for the license card to turn up in the post?

I understand that WLB will email the approved PTA to dealers directly, I assume that means that we don't need a paper copy so they don't send one. Can anyone confirm that?

Yes mate you need to wait until you have your license card to possess the firearm.

If you have requested the PTA to be sent to the dealer, you won’t receive one in the post.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Jul 2019, 5:00 pm

RunRabbit, No the email is only a courtesy notification that your PTA has been approved and as such will not be accepted by a Dealer.

You will have to have both your licence and approved PTA in your hot little hands before you can visit the dealer
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 23 Jul 2019, 1:41 pm

Just got my "Statement of Eligibility" in the post this morning, 7 weeks to the day since submitting QP0515 at the local police station.
The form says it was issued on 12th July and the post mark shows it was processed for posting on 19th July.

11 days from approval to receipt and here everything is in Brisbane, it would actually be hard to design a system as inefficient as that without having process steps that say "dump everything in a big bin and process them all when it's full"
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tophet1 » 23 Jul 2019, 7:00 pm

Got my Qld PTA in 14 days. Went through the dealer. Ive been a long time license holder and this is not my first PTA.
tophet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Medb » 27 Jul 2019, 1:49 pm

I don't want to ruin anyone's expectations that are currently waiting but... my application went the full twelve weeks.

The day after I hit the twelve week mark I rang them up, and they called me back 30 minutes later saying I'd been approved. So I'm not sure if my application got buried somewhere or delayed for whatever reason, but it still does happen.

PTA I had applied for got approved a few days after my application acceptance and turned up a few days later before my license finally arrived.

This was a few weeks ago now, I applied back in April so maybe they have sped up a bit now.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 27 Jul 2019, 8:35 pm

30 minutes is probably the real amount of time it takes to process an application, they're looking up people's details on computer systems not visiting friends and family to do interviews, for some reason they want the process to take close to 3 months.
The 28 day 'cooling off' period before they will even start looking at an application is ridiculous when the processing itself takes a further two months.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by pjoia » 01 Aug 2019, 8:57 am

Morning all,
Any ideas on the current wait time in QLD for class H license ?
pjoia
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 02 Aug 2019, 10:19 am

Hi pjoia, My wife and I are currently in week 6 since applying online for our Cat H. Good possibility we could have another 6 to go.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 05 Aug 2019, 3:32 pm

Just got my Cat A/B approval email through today.

Timeline was as follows:
Applied online 17th June
ID check email arrived 3 weeks, 1 day later on 9th July, completed it same day
Approval email arrived 3 weeks, 6 days after that on 5th August

So 7 weeks to the day from application to approval email, it will likely be 9 weeks by the time the license card arrives though.
PTA was submitted on 17th June so hopefully that will be processed in the next couple of weeks too
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CorvusTas » 12 Aug 2019, 1:18 pm

I received my A+B approval by email at 7 weeks and 1 day from application, ID confirmation was done at just under 3 weeks.
CorvusTas
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 16 Aug 2019, 5:33 pm

A/B license process now completed for me

Timeline was as follows:
Applied online 17th June
ID check email arrived 3 weeks, 1 day later on 9th July, completed it same day
Approval email arrived 3 weeks, 6 days after that on 5th August
ID card arrived in post 1 week 4 days after that on 16th August

So 8 weeks 4 days from application to License ID card in my hand which seems to be about as fast as they get, still a shocking disgrace for a government service though. The last week waiting for the ID card is by far the worst.
PTA was submitted on 17th June and was emailed to the dealer from WLB on 6th August, the day after my license approval.

My first rifle is a Walther target 22LR and was collected today along with my own ammo.
It's in the safe for the night and ready to go out for its first workout at the range in the morning.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 17 Aug 2019, 10:31 am

Submitted PTA 10:00am Friday and received approval 10:am Saturday. Pretty good service from WLB.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 17 Aug 2019, 10:43 am

Patriot wrote:Submitted PTA 10:00am Friday and received approval 10:am Saturday. Pretty good service from WLB.

Here i am waiting over 2 weeks at the moment.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 17 Aug 2019, 11:01 am

CAVEMAN wrote:
Patriot wrote:Submitted PTA 10:00am Friday and received approval 10:am Saturday. Pretty good service from WLB.

Here i am waiting over 2 weeks at the moment.

So your saying you haven’t received the approval email ?or the actual permit to your LGS?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Qihuahua » 17 Aug 2019, 11:21 am

Hi all, new member here.

Have had AB license for 6 years. Applied for Cat H mid June 2019, all relevant paperwork etc attached so all was good. Still no notification of sorts.

Which makes me think why do people who apply for an AB license get theirs back so quickly ?? Another shooter with an AB license I know well applied for Cat H a week before me and he got his license in the mail 2 weeks ago...

Which makes me wonder when they say license applications are assessed in order of receipt, false and possibly misleading.
Qihuahua
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 17 Aug 2019, 11:41 am

Neither, called last Thursday to check to see if they accidental slapped a 28 day wait but she says it was just awaiting processing so that was the 12 day mark. So i must be in some sort of black hole.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 17 Aug 2019, 11:53 am

CAVEMAN wrote:Neither, called last Thursday to check to see if they accidental slapped a 28 day wait but she says it was just awaiting processing so that was the 12 day mark. So i must be in some sort of black hole.

That’s sucks.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 20 Aug 2019, 9:21 am

Applied for PTA on Friday, received approval email on Saturday morning, got a phone call from gun shop on Monday morning advising PTA arrived via email. Picked up new coach gun Monday arvo.

Unbelievable.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by shotupbeforesunup » 20 Aug 2019, 2:41 pm

Patriot wrote:Applied for PTA on Friday, received approval email on Saturday morning, got a phone call from gun shop on Monday morning advising PTA arrived via email. Picked up new coach gun Monday arvo.

Unbelievable.

That's good going, Best I've had is about 36hrs back in March this year.

Currently waiting on a PTA that was submitted 6th of August....
shotupbeforesunup
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws