Interesting fuel filter

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Interesting fuel filter

Post by elnino » 27 Aug 2019, 8:25 am

[AU$105.20]Spiral 1/2-28 5/8-24 Spiral Single Core Fuel Filter For NaPa 4003 WIX 24003 Car Solvent Mechanical Parts from Tools, Industrial & Scientific on banggood.com
https://banggood.app.link/l4fC49kItZ

Edit: Just to be clear, i am not suggesting that anyone buy this!
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Interesting fuel filter

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2019, 1:10 pm

elnino wrote:[AU$105.20]Spiral 1/2-28 5/8-24 Spiral Single Core Fuel Filter For NaPa 4003 WIX 24003 Car Solvent Mechanical Parts from Tools, Industrial & Scientific on banggood.com
https://banggood.app.link/l4fC49kItZ

Edit: Just to be clear, i am not suggesting that anyone buy this!

Interesting way to spend an awful lot of money on lawyers tò try to keep your arse out of jail.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by elnino » 27 Aug 2019, 1:56 pm

There was a guy in Mount Gambier I think that recently got picked up for trying to import some 'Solvent Traps' which look extremely similar. This one just happened to come up in my social feeds - I wasn't looking, but I do spend a lot of time on Banggood and Aliexpress sites.

Interestingly enough though, if you search for solvent trap on eBay, it gives you a long list of them that are apparently local AU shipping WTH? I'm not remotely interested in one but it makes you wonder how they are getting in.
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2019, 6:40 pm

elnino wrote:There was a guy in Mount Gambier I think that recently got picked up for trying to import some 'Solvent Traps' which look extremely similar. This one just happened to come up in my social feeds - I wasn't looking, but I do spend a lot of time on Banggood and Aliexpress sites.

Interestingly enough though, if you search for solvent trap on eBay, it gives you a long list of them that are apparently local AU shipping WTH? I'm not remotely interested in one but it makes you wonder how they are getting in.

Yep, I would guarantee that even people simply adding it to their watch list will be put onto somebody else's watch list. Modern policing is not about tracking down criminals, it's far cheaper to monitor the law-abiding hoping to catch them screwing up. Because they're law-abiding, they don't clog up the prison system, they simply add money to the government's coffers. A guy on FB copped a $1000 fine for importing a solvent trap.

Don't forget the mess in Tassie a few years ago when Police were out visiting people that had bought solvent traps, when their list of firearm owners was stolen from their vehicle, so you might even be lucky enough to end up on a criminal shopping list as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 03 Sep 2019, 8:15 am

If you have a look at the second photo in this article it will tell you what a dumb idea they are.............as they say a picture tells a thousand words.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/hundreds-of-firearms-seized-across-australia
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 03 Sep 2019, 8:38 am

We have people here in the USA sell them at gun shows and the running joke is that it's the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives(BATFE) man running a sting. At the larger gun shows the BATFE usually has a table with agents you can talk too and I'm sure they keep an eye on such things.

In the USA, it's not illegal to build your own suppressor, you just need to submit a Form 1 and fingerprints plus $200 for the tax stamp, get that back and then you can buy the parts and build the suppressor yourself.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by elnino » 03 Sep 2019, 10:01 am

I still don't really understand the restrictions on suppressors here in Aus but it is what it is. It's not rocket science to make something that would do 'well enough' if you were inclined to go down that path vs trying to import something that is highly likely to be flagged and get you in trouble. Or perhaps they are just that thick that they think these things come in un-noticed.

Having said that, I can't recall any news report of gun crime in aus that involved a suppressed firearm yet you'd think it would be prolific since it is so easy to make them. The politicians are probably patting themselves on the back for that because 'they got rid of them'. Lots of sawn off shotguns and .22s still though. Overall though, way more holdups and robberies are involving other weapons such as screwdrivers, knives, spanners and other inanimate (often ridiculous) objects.
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 Sep 2019, 10:07 am

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/hundreds-of-firearms-seized-across-australia

And, yes, even though it is not a suppressor until you actually bore the middle out, Police will charge you will possessing a suppressor. Although I'm not aware of any law prohibiting simply owning lumps of any materials that could conceivably be turned into a suppressor. I think the suppressor most often used in murders is simply a pillow.
Attachments
Suppressors2.JPG
Suppressors2.JPG (50.89 KiB) Viewed 7461 times
suppressors.JPG
suppressors.JPG (104.72 KiB) Viewed 7461 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 03 Sep 2019, 10:16 am

elnino wrote:I still don't really understand the restrictions on suppressors here in Aus but it is what it is.

None of us understand it, it's a completely stupid law being kept in place by completely ignorant people. But until they change the law it's a big smack if you get caught with one.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Sep 2019, 10:26 am

elnino wrote:I still don't really understand the restrictions on suppressors here in Aus but it is what it is. It's not rocket science to make something that would do 'well enough' if you were inclined to go down that path vs trying to import something that is highly likely to be flagged and get you in trouble. Or perhaps they are just that thick that they think these things come in un-noticed.

Having said that, I can't recall any news report of gun crime in aus that involved a suppressed firearm yet you'd think it would be prolific since it is so easy to make them. The politicians are probably patting themselves on the back for that because 'they got rid of them'. Lots of sawn off shotguns and .22s still though. Overall though, way more holdups and robberies are involving other weapons such as screwdrivers, knives, spanners and other inanimate (often ridiculous) objects.

The most well known incident was the murder of Colin Winchester with a suppressed 10/22 in the 80's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Winchester#Death

I can't recall any others.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 03 Sep 2019, 10:51 am

elnino wrote:I still don't really understand the restrictions on suppressors here in Aus but it is what it is. It's not rocket science to make something that would do 'well enough' if you were inclined to go down that path vs trying to import something that is highly likely to be flagged and get you in trouble. Or perhaps they are just that thick that they think these things come in un-noticed.

I think this is one of those areas where few actually have any real life experience with them but everyone thinks they are an expert from what they saw in the movies, including Trump here in the USA. I've used a number of suppressors in a variety of calibers with a variety of rifles, submachine guns and pistols and in most scenarios they cut some of the noise down at the expense of size, weight and with direct impingement AR-15 type rifles/pistols getting a lot of toxic gas back in your face. With subsonic ammunition like 45 ACP and 300 Blackout 200 grain plus bullets you can cut the noise even more but it's still loud enough and now you have a gun that's basically a 50-100 yard gun. Really in the end the main advantage for a shooter is reducing the impact of long term hearing damage and reducing the noise your neighbors put up with. For the military is it reducing hearing damage, especially indoors and cutting down blast and long range reducing the noise signature to the enemy.

For criminals in Australia, suppressors mostly are not going to give them a tactical advantage and you add size and weight. Most criminals want concealment and light weight.

The technology is well known so it's dumb for governments to suppress them :lol: , as any skilled machinist can make one and someone with basic skills can thread a barrel, attach a "solvent trap" and then add an oil filter. So if criminals really do want them, I'm sure they can get them.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by elnino » 03 Sep 2019, 12:40 pm

bladeracer wrote:Colin Winchester with a suppressed 10/22 in the 80's.

Interesting - It was back when they were legal to possess.
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 Sep 2019, 1:30 pm

elnino wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Colin Winchester with a suppressed 10/22 in the 80's.

Interesting - It was back when they were legal to possess.

I don't know about ACT but they were still legal in the early eighties in SA - $20 each, often a boxfull of them on the counter beside the till for impulse buyers :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mikld » 04 Sep 2019, 12:19 pm

Lol - read the description "Great for a dryer, car fuel filter, an oil cleaner, work with Airsoft"
mikld
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2019, 3:42 pm

mikld wrote:Lol - read the description "Great for a dryer, car fuel filter, an oil cleaner, work with Airsoft"

Yep, written by a LEO to suck the stupid into their sting operation :D
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Sep 2019, 4:01 pm

Hey anyone know the address of the office of chief commissioner of Victoria police... someone could buy a chip and send them to him..... Ok joking

On a service note... someone please send it to Sam Lee... and one of my neighbors.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by DownunderDutchman » 25 Sep 2019, 5:45 pm

I just got a letter in the mail from customs telling me my ''suppressor'' has been seized by customs, but I bought it as a fuel filter for my Jeep! What if I buy a piece of pipe, does that mean it will be seized as it could be used in a pipe thingy that goes boom. I will be buying a new pillow at Kmart next week, seeing pillows are used by the mafia in Hollywood films to suppress noise when the kill some one, will my pillows be seized as well? Now I get their connection to something that could be made into something else, but until that's done I see it as my rights being violated. I thought about ringing customs regarding the seizure letter but we all know I would have more luck talking to my dog. I am a law abiding tax payer that follows the law regarding my boom sticks, but the fuel filter that was seized is just that, a fuel filter, looks like we are moving into the realm of Hollywood films, like Tom Cruise's film ''Minority Report'' where you will be judged on/for something before it even happens. Really makes me wonder why I chased blokes with towels around their head in the Middle East, to see Australia turn into a country you get judged and found guilty before you even break any laws.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. Voltaire
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Sep 2019, 8:11 am

^Ask the question? Write an email or letter - lodge a complaint with the ombudsman - let the govt do the fighting for you against er...the government. It will be funny to watch and you’ll learn a lot during the process.

The ombudsman is a govt agency that deals with complaints against...Government - so your paying for the service anyway...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by DownunderDutchman » 26 Sep 2019, 8:27 am

TassieTiger wrote:^Ask the question? Write an email or letter - lodge a complaint with the ombudsman - let the govt do the fighting for you against er...the government. It will be funny to watch and you’ll learn a lot during the process.

The ombudsman is a govt agency that deals with complaints against...Government - so your paying for the service anyway...

LOL I like your thinking! But the letter went into the bin, not that I don't care, I just can't be bothered with them, and have enough grey hair to want to add more to it LOL.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. Voltaire
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Sep 2019, 9:14 am

That’s exactly the response they are counting on.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by DownunderDutchman » 26 Sep 2019, 9:24 am

TassieTiger wrote:That’s exactly the response they are counting on.
No doubt.
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by elnino » 26 Sep 2019, 9:56 am

I wonder if they cross reference importation of such devices with firearms licensed citizens? i.e Would it have got past customs without issue if perhaps it was sent to a person that was not licensed I wonder?

It could just be that a description of 'fuel filter' on the customs declaration automatically flags it as a suspect device without them even assessing the item.

Next minute you will have a 'random' inspection....
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 26 Sep 2019, 10:06 am

I think the description Solvent Trap has been flagged. As a firearm owner I think there is a much greater risk of actually being charged with something serious rather than just have the product confiscated.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by DownunderDutchman » 26 Sep 2019, 10:09 am

elnino wrote:I wonder if they cross reference importation of such devices with firearms licensed citizens? i.e Would it have got past customs without issue if perhaps it was sent to a person that was not licensed I wonder?

It could just be that a description of 'fuel filter' on the customs declaration automatically flags it as a suspect device without them even assessing the item.

Next minute you will have a 'random' inspection....

I welcome to my house for any inspection, as long as they adhere to the law like I do, but don't expect for me to make them a coffee LOL :D
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 26 Sep 2019, 11:12 am

Nearly everyone can get a long range rifle , lever shotguns, straight pull shotguns but we can’t have a sound moderator , silly
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ecobogan » 26 Sep 2019, 10:31 pm

A couple of years ago those fuel filters were selling like hot cakes in the US. One joint had a variety available in a range of camo schemes! Because you need that....a camouflaged fuel filter in your umm..car, truck, excavator.
I thought that was hilarious and no doubt helped shine the bureaucratic spotlight on the whole caper.
But seriously, the suppressor business is one hell of a vexing issue as a gun owner in this country.
It's considered very poor form, in countries where they're legal, not to use one.
Probably a poor comparison but it's kinda like the cops wanting to lock me up for running a muffler on my YZ 450.
Guns, like dirt bikes, are loud and should be quietened for the common good

Here's a good one....
http://gunsnfreedom.com/australia-is-cr ... ed-in/2230
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Sep 2019, 11:50 pm

While i do agree that we need sound moderators for OH&S issue.

But can you explain what vehicle comes with that type of fuel filter as standard or as a legal optional extra?

It looks like s**t, smells like s**t, tastes like s**t....its 100% gonna be s**t. Hehehe
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Sep 2019, 8:01 am

Ziad wrote:While i do agree that we need sound moderators for OH&S issue.

But can you explain what vehicle comes with that type of fuel filter as standard or as a legal optional extra?

It looks like s**t, smells like s**t, tastes like s**t....its 100% gonna be s**t. Hehehe

Can you show me a Harley that doesn’t have illegal pipes on it? (Generally speaking...).
I’ve got a gsxr1000 with non homoglated rubber and nitrous...that nitrous should not be allowed...I get bored at the track and I’m sucking on the bottle and well...s**t. What was I saying? Yes. Fuel filters...you should be able to use any fuel filter you want on your car...?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Wombat » 27 Sep 2019, 1:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:

The most well known incident was the murder of Colin Winchester with a suppressed 10/22 in the 80's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Winchester#Death

I can't recall any others.

There was this guy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Coulston
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Sep 2019, 2:46 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Ziad wrote:While i do agree that we need sound moderators for OH&S issue.

Can you show me a Harley that doesn’t have illegal pipes on it? (Generally speaking...).
I’ve got a gsxr1000 with non homoglated rubber and nitrous...that nitrous should not be allowed...I get bored at the track and I’m sucking on the bottle and well...s**t. What was I saying? Yes. Fuel filters...you should be able to use any fuel filter you want on your car...?

Mate as i said, outta not actually a filter, or looks like a filter, but with your logic a AK47 should be fine to be purchased cuz.....i mean its just a metal bottle cap opener

:sarcasm:
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation