Hundreds of firearms seized across Australia

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Hundreds of firearms seized across Australia

Post by JSS » 03 Sep 2019, 7:34 am

Finally they're having a crack at the actual problem instead of picking on us LAFOs.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/hundreds-of-firearms-seized-across-australia
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Hundreds of firearms seized across Australia

Post by trekin » 04 Sep 2019, 7:20 am

Unless you were the owner of twenty + registered firearms, or a LAFO 70 years or older who was targeted for unnecessary inspections during "Operation Athena".
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 04 Sep 2019, 7:50 am

So what? If you're gear is stored safely then who cares if you get an inspection? Is having a couple of coppers turn up to your house for a short while really that big of an issue?
They must have felt so oppressed and victimised, perhaps they need a hug.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 04 Sep 2019, 8:10 am

JSS wrote:So what? If you're gear is stored safely then who cares if you get an inspection? Is having a couple of coppers turn up to your house for a short while really that big of an issue?
Oh the oppression and victimisation they must have felt, perhaps they need a hug.

And yet, one is left wondering just how much more of the 'actual problem' could have being fixed with the manpower and resources expended on these unnecessarly targeted inspections of LAFOs during an operation that was supposed to tackle the trafficking and use of illicit firearms.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Sep 2019, 8:58 am

trekin wrote:
JSS wrote:So what? If you're gear is stored safely then who cares if you get an inspection? Is having a couple of coppers turn up to your house for a short while really that big of an issue?
Oh the oppression and victimisation they must have felt, perhaps they need a hug.

And yet, one is left wondering just how much more of the 'actual problem' could have being fixed with the manpower and resources expended on these unnecessarly targeted inspections of LAFOs during an operation that was supposed to tackle the trafficking and use of illicit firearms.

A lot of us are common sensed and take a responsible view on firearms use and storage. But the coppers are doing their job making sure that larger collections aren’t a easy target for crims who want to get their hands on guns. The more guns they confiscate from crims, the more licensed firearms owners are going to become a target for theft . Some people still have the old “she’ll be right “ attitude to things. And the cops are just checking to make sure this isn’t the case with firearms storage. A inspection is a small price to pay to insure the future of firearms ownership.

JMHO
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2019, 9:06 am

trekin wrote:

I wonder more about the entire cost in taxpayer dollars and wasted Police man hours enforcing ludicrous punitive laws that have nothing at all to do with community safety.
How many officers are tied up in monitoring law-abiding firearm owners that have already been thoroughly vetted?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 04 Sep 2019, 9:19 am

trekin wrote:

I'm pretty sure weapons licencing aren't the ones running around kicking in doors with warrants taking guns off criminals, tracking internet sales of "solvent traps" or confiscating suppressors & guns/parts at customs. So while other branches are covering those avenues why shouldn't they go and check on some lafos as well.
My guess is they've figured out that perhaps some of the older blokes who didn't have to worry about safe storage for many years may just need to be checked on to keep their guns safe, and people with over 20 guns (which many of us are) might be considered targets for thieves. I don't really know what their thinking is but like i said who gives a f@ck if they come and check on us? If your guns are safe it's cost you nothing, and if they're not then cop it on the chin.

The article said they also confiscated a small amount of "unsecured ammo and firearms" which says to me that they were legal guns & ammo, so some of their as you put it "unnecessary targeted inspections" were in fact necessary.

I just don't get the mindset some people have about inspections. They come, smile & show em your guns, they go........what's the issue? They didn't kick your dog or shag your wife so who cares?
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2019, 10:11 am

JSS wrote:
trekin wrote:

I'm pretty sure weapons licencing aren't the ones running around kicking in doors with warrants taking guns off criminals, tracking internet sales of "solvent traps" or confiscating suppressors & guns/parts at customs. So while other branches are covering those avenues why shouldn't they go and check on some lafos as well.
My guess is they've figured out that perhaps some of the older blokes who didn't have to worry about safe storage for many years may just need to be checked on to keep their guns safe, and people with over 20 guns (which many of us are) might be considered targets for thieves. I don't really know what their thinking is but like i said who gives a f@ck if they come and check on us? If your guns are safe it's cost you nothing, and if they're not then cop it on the chin.

The article said they also confiscated a small amount of "unsecured ammo and firearms" which says to me that they were legal guns & ammo, so some of their as you put it "unnecessary targeted inspections" were in fact necessary.

I just don't get the mindset some people have about inspections. They come, smile & show em your guns, they go........what's the issue? They didn't kick your dog or shag your wife so who cares?

Do you actually believe the GCA bulls**t that LAFO's are the primary source of firearms used in gun crime? When you accept the truth, that violent criminals have zero interest in stealing our firearms, then perhaps you'll understand why it's a tragic waste of resources that should be directed elsewhere, where it can achieve measurable results against violent crime.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Sep 2019, 10:33 am

Any stats on how many legally owned and registered firearms were actually stolen from safes ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 04 Sep 2019, 11:00 am

bladeracer wrote:
JSS wrote:
trekin wrote:

Do you actually believe the GCA bulls**t that LAFO's are the primary source of firearms used in gun crime? When you accept the truth, that violent criminals have zero interest in stealing our firearms, then perhaps you'll understand why it's a tragic waste of resources that should be directed elsewhere, where it can achieve measurable results against violent crime.

I'm not saying they don't waste money, and are we the primary source of illegal guns, no, but i can tell you for a fact legal guns get stolen, when i was 20 (so way back before the safe storage laws) i was at a mates house when a bloke came over trying to sell two 22's and a 12g pumpy that he somehow ended up with that were stolen from some poor bastard. We told him to f@ck off and never come back. I also had my place broken into once many years ago before the safe storage laws and i had 4 guns under the bed, if they had of checked under the bed there would be 4 more illegal guns floating around out there, so don't try to tell me that unsecured guns don't get stolen because they do.
It may not be the violent criminals stealing them, it's the dead sh!ts and junkies breaking into houses, but everything they steal ends up back at the drug dealers house being swapped for drugs, so yes they eventually do end up in the hands of the not so nice.

If your guns are not secure and the cops take them then suck sh!t you got what you deserve. And don't worry they're spending plenty of money to combat violent crime and i'm sure a large chunk of that is being wasted too.

Like Tassie said how many legal guns in safes were taken? The answer would be NONE.

We have plenty of gun restrictions/laws here that suck, but the safe storage laws aren't one of them.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Sep 2019, 12:28 pm

+1 JSS , I live in suburbia and don’t tell the neighbors I’ve got firearms, I keep things out of sight by loading my gun cases in my vehicle in my side yard so people can’t sticky beak. There are opportunistic scumbags looking for a quick buck out there, I don’t make it easy for them
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by elnino » 04 Sep 2019, 1:39 pm

There was a case going back probably 12-18 months ago in SA where a guy went away for a weekend and came back to an empty safe that had been opened with an angle grider.

Somewhat rare but it does happen, and clearly someone knew this guy had them. I am cautious too, unload the car out of public eye etc.

Most of the public have no idea on who is LAFO or not. For a random theif to pick a house, break in and be equipped enough to open a safe (and have time) would be extremely rare. Most are just druggies looking for something they can pawn for quick cash.

Also why when you get a new 70" tv, you dont put the box out for recycling in plain view.
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2019, 3:26 pm

JSS wrote:I'm not saying they don't waste money, and are we the primary source of illegal guns, no, but i can tell you for a fact legal guns get stolen, when i was 20 (so way back before the safe storage laws) i was at a mates house when a bloke came over trying to sell two 22's and a 12g pumpy that he somehow ended up with that were stolen from some poor bastard. We told him to f@ck off and never come back. I also had my place broken into once many years ago before the safe storage laws and i had 4 guns under the bed, if they had of checked under the bed there would be 4 more illegal guns floating around out there, so don't try to tell me that unsecured guns don't get stolen because they do.
It may not be the violent criminals stealing them, it's the dead sh!ts and junkies breaking into houses, but everything they steal ends up back at the drug dealers house being swapped for drugs, so yes they eventually do end up in the hands of the not so nice.

If your guns are not secure and the cops take them then suck sh!t you got what you deserve. And don't worry they're spending plenty of money to combat violent crime and i'm sure a large chunk of that is being wasted too.

Like Tassie said how many legal guns in safes were taken? The answer would be NONE.

We have plenty of gun restrictions/laws here that suck, but the safe storage laws aren't one of them.

Of course firearms get stolen, anything can be stolen, and will be. But having your firearm stolen makes you a victim of crime, not a perpetrator of it. Gun safes do not prevent firearms from being stolen, if you follow some Facebok groups, victims of theft post photos of their gun safes that have been cut or smashed open, or stolen intact and dumped after being emptied. And as a tiny percentage of stolen firearms are recovered from criminals, usually not as part of violent crime, why should you be held responsible for "allowing" your firearm to be stolen, any more so than being held responsible for anything of yours being stolen, sold, and the money used to buy illegal guns or drugs that will be used to kill people? Stop thinking of yourself as a criminal in waiting, as GCA keep telling the public we are.

I don't think anybody disagrees that we should keep our firearms locked up, they're expensive, but nobody should be criminalised for deciding how they prefer to protect their assets. The only effect it has on society is in keeping guns out of the hands of Green morons, like Tim Winton (who would sit in his house as a kid, with his dad's rifle, sighting on people in his neighbourhood), or the Green politicians (I can't recall the name of the moron who tried to kill his brother when he found a handgun left in the bathroom by a family acquaintance ). The people who don't want us to have firearms are driven by their own experiences of stupidity, no moral compass, and zero self discipline - they simply assume the whole population is as reckless and stupid as they know themselves to be.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by elnino » 04 Sep 2019, 3:31 pm

So very well said
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 04 Sep 2019, 3:55 pm

geez blade , if what you've said is true about those green party nutters , that's very worrying that these people are trying to have a say in politics in our country

those facts are very disturbing. i've often thought that the people who speak out against gun ownership seem to be the type of people who shouldn't be allowed to own them ...... :crazy:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2019, 4:27 pm

bigrich wrote:geez blade , if what you've said is true about those green party nutters , that's very worrying that these people are trying to have a say in politics in our country

those facts are very disturbing. i've often thought that the people who speak out against gun ownership seem to be the type of people who shouldn't be allowed to own them ...... :crazy:

They are self-published admissions, whether the tellers can be trusted to recognize truth, I sincerely doubt, but both statements were made in attacks against lawful firearm owners, so clearly indicate how these people view the rest of us.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 04 Sep 2019, 4:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JSS wrote:I'm not saying they don't waste money, and are we the primary source of illegal guns, no, but i can tell you for a fact legal guns get stolen, when i was 20 (so way back before the safe storage laws) i was at a mates house when a bloke came over trying to sell two 22's and a 12g pumpy that he somehow ended up with that were stolen from some poor bastard. We told him to f@ck off and never come back. I also had my place broken into once many years ago before the safe storage laws and i had 4 guns under the bed, if they had of checked under the bed there would be 4 more illegal guns floating around out there, so don't try to tell me that unsecured guns don't get stolen because they do.

Of course firearms get stolen, anything can be stolen, and will be. But having your firearm stolen makes you a victim of crime, not a perpetrator of it. Gun safes do not prevent firearms from being stolen, if you follow some Facebok groups, victims of theft post photos of their gun safes that have been cut or smashed open, or stolen intact and dumped after being emptied. And as a tiny percentage of stolen firearms are recovered from criminals, usually not as part of violent crime, why should you be held responsible for "allowing" your firearm to be stolen, any more so than being held responsible for anything of yours being stolen, sold, and the money used to buy illegal guns or drugs that will be used to kill people? Stop thinking of yourself as a criminal in waiting, as GCA keep telling the public we are.

I don't think anybody disagrees that we should keep our firearms locked up, they're expensive, but nobody should be criminalised for deciding how they prefer to protect their assets. The only effect it has on society is in keeping guns out of the hands of Green morons, like Tim Winton (who would sit in his house as a kid, with his dad's rifle, sighting on people in his neighbourhood), or the Green politicians (I can't recall the name of the moron who tried to kill his brother when he found a handgun left in the bathroom by a family acquaintance ). The people who don't want us to have firearms are driven by their own experiences of stupidity, no moral compass, and zero self discipline - they simply assume the whole population is as reckless and stupid as they know themselves to be.

I agree with you mate, but what you were saying before and what i replied to was that inspections were a waste of resources and money and are picking on us lafos and that stolen guns are all GCA bullsh!t and i disagree.

The way licencing and ptas and registration is setup has already been proven to be an ineffective over complicated expensive waste of time & money, but the small part of it that is a couple of plods coming out to check that our stuff is stored properly is very inexpensive and good value for money for them. A hour or twos wages for 1 or 2 plods to go to a house and check that x amount of guns are safe and where they should be is nothing compared to tracking down stolen and otherwise illegally obtained guns.
Like i've repeatedly said if we have nothing to hide or be ashamed of who gives a F@ck if they want to come & have a look?? The guys whinging about inspections carry on more like "victims" than anyone, "oh no they want to look at my guns oh i'm being oppressed poor poor me" What a load of tinfoil hat bullsh!t.

Enjoy your guns, fight the anti's, jump the occasional hoop, smile for the inspections and have fun the other 99.99% of the time. Life's not that hard. :friends: :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2019, 5:33 pm

Being more cost effective than other ways of enforcing laws that are purely punitive against law-abiding citizens does not make them any less wasteful, as they have no beariñg at all on the stated reasons behind them, community safety. All laws directed at monitoring people who have already been extensively vetted, and been proved to be generally more law-abiding than the very authorities that vet them is a waste of resources, from every direction you examine it from.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Sep 2019, 8:35 pm

400 odd firearms seized today down in Cooma from a Dealer.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 04 Sep 2019, 8:40 pm

bigfellascott wrote:400 odd firearms seized today down in Cooma from a Dealer.

And in the end it'll mostly be all clerical errors and almost all charges will be dismissed and it'll have cost the tax payer a few million :thumbsdown:

Of course that's no ones fault but the shop owner.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by gordicans » 04 Sep 2019, 8:58 pm

I wonder more about the entire cost in taxpayer dollars and wasted Police man hours enforcing ludicrous punitive laws ...[/quote]

which punitive laws are you referring to?
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 04 Sep 2019, 9:43 pm

What I don't like about inspections is its a service paid for by tax payers to target one of the lowest forms of crime. Even in the day before gunlaws and mandatory storage, no one cared how their guns were stored, nor did the police or the public. The money could better be spent targeting drugs, child abuse and suicide( one of the biggest killers). They could close weapons licencing tomorrow and give all the clowns jobs doing welfare checks for lonely pensioners and save 10x the lives...

Secondly the idea a private citizen has some "personal responsibilty " regards what a criminal does with the proceeds of their crime against you(with your stolen goods!) is the most ridiculous concept and successful brainwashes I have seen by a government in several countries.

Good heavens, no wonder Australia is ripe for accepting 36 genders and all this other rubbish. People have lost the ability to reason.
Last edited by mickb on 05 Sep 2019, 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2019, 1:33 am

gordicans wrote:I wonder more about the entire cost in taxpayer dollars and wasted Police man hours enforcing ludicrous punitive laws ...

which punitive laws are you referring to?[/quote]

Almost all of the firearm laws that have come since '96 have been designed purely to make having a firearm licence harder, increase the ways in which we can lose that licence, without engaging in criminal activity or being an actual threat to the community, and greatly reduce the number of firearm owners in the longer term by restricting access to the sport. As these controls do nothing at all for the stated goal of community safety, their only purpose is to punish anybody that has any interest in firearms and shooting. Pre-96 firearm laws worked perfectly fine for decades, without the assumption that any interest in firearms is a sure indicator of criminal intent, at far less cost to Police and the community, and without the "them the versus us" mentality that drives our current mess. It still required us to be licensed and vetted, but the Police helped us instead of hindering us, even running shooting programs for kids - I started shooting under Police instruction at PCYC when I started high school.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 05 Sep 2019, 4:53 am

bigfellascott wrote:400 odd firearms seized today down in Cooma from a Dealer.

I saw a news story on that yesterday afternoon BFS . The number of firearms had grown to 450, must’ve been some timber stocks that got counted as firearms also hey ? The news footage showed lots of 44 drums that had been sitting outside with water and snow in them that looked full of milsurps. It had something to do with a deceased estate apparently. I almost cried when I thought of some classic collectibles that were probably in those drums
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by trekin » 05 Sep 2019, 5:16 am

JSS wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I agree with you mate, but what you were saying before and what i replied to was that inspections were a waste of resources and money and are picking on us lafos and that stolen guns are all GCA bullsh!t and i disagree.

The way licencing and ptas and registration is setup has already been proven to be an ineffective over complicated expensive waste of time & money, but the small part of it that is a couple of plods coming out to check that our stuff is stored properly is very inexpensive and good value for money for them. A hour or twos wages for 1 or 2 plods to go to a house and check that x amount of guns are safe and where they should be is nothing compared to tracking down stolen and otherwise illegally obtained guns.
Like i've repeatedly said if we have nothing to hide or be ashamed of who gives a F@ck if they want to come & have a look?? The guys whinging about inspections carry on more like "victims" than anyone, "oh no they want to look at my guns oh i'm being oppressed poor poor me" What a load of tinfoil hat bullsh!t.

Enjoy your guns, fight the anti's, jump the occasional hoop, smile for the inspections and have fun the other 99.99% of the time. Life's not that hard. :friends: :drinks:

Who, exactly are the "guys whinging about inspections" in this thread?
As for the "if we have nothing to hide or be ashamed of ", after reading some of the posts here, it appears that there are a few who do believe that they have something to hide, or maybe they're just ashamed at being law abiding in this upside down country.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 05 Sep 2019, 5:34 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:geez blade , if what you've said is true about those green party nutters , that's very worrying that these people are trying to have a say in politics in our country

They are self-published admissions, whether the tellers can be trusted to recognize truth, I sincerely doubt, but both statements were made in attacks against lawful firearm owners, so clearly indicate how these people view the rest of us.

And at least one of those admissions was made in Parliament; https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... 4d3b55cf90
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 05 Sep 2019, 6:34 am

JSS wrote:
trekin wrote:

HMMM.... naive or gullible?? Either way, tis a pitty to see another taken hook, line and sinker by the Govt/media baiting programme.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 05 Sep 2019, 6:51 am

trekin wrote:Who, exactly are the "guys whinging about inspections" in this thread?
As for the "if we have nothing to hide or be ashamed of ", after reading some of the posts here, it appears that there are a few who do believe that they have something to hide, or maybe they're just ashamed at being law abiding in this upside down country.

Considering your first two posts i'd say you., and given the our conversation i'd also say BR. Also how is not caring about an inspection being ashamed or having something to hide. It's the other way around mate you guys are the ones protesting about something that really doesn't matter. I bet you whinge when you get a speeding fine to and say the gov is out to get you.

trekin wrote:HMMM.... naive or gullible?? Either way, tis a pitty to see another taken hook, line and sinker by the Govt/media baiting programme.

Between this and your comment above you sound about as rational and level headed as the nutjob antis. congratulations.
Oh i think aldi are having a special on tinfoil at the moment....you should hurry down there.

Anyway, you keep on fighting the good fight mate. I'm going to take my hook, line and sinker along with my shame filled law abiding self and pack my range bag, I've got some new toys to sight in & play with.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2019, 7:29 am

bigrich wrote:+1 JSS , I live in suburbia and don’t tell the neighbors I’ve got firearms, I keep things out of sight by loading my gun cases in my vehicle in my side yard so people can’t sticky beak. There are opportunistic scumbags looking for a quick buck out there, I don’t make it easy for them

Yep, I do the same. And I dont have "winchester" or "deer hunting" signs on my ute.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2019, 7:57 am

JSS wrote:
trekin wrote:Who, exactly are the "guys whinging about inspections" in this thread?

Considering your first two posts i'd say you., and given the our conversation i'd also say BR. Also how is not caring about an inspection being ashamed or having something to hide. It's the other way around mate you guys are the ones protesting about something that really doesn't matter. I bet you whinge when you get a speeding fine to and say the gov is out to get you.

trekin wrote:HMMM.... naive or gullible?? Either way, tis a pitty to see another taken hook, line and sinker by the Govt/media baiting programme.

Between this and your comment above you sound about as rational and level headed as the nutjob antis. congratulations.
Oh i think aldi are having a special on tinfoil at the moment....you should hurry down there.

Anyway, you keep on fighting the good fight mate. I'm going to take my hook, line and sinker along with my shame filled law abiding self and pack my range bag, I've got some new toys to sight in & play with.

I can't see how you could possibly construe any of my comments as running along that line. Being law-abiding has nothing whatever to do with my comments on the state of our firearm laws. I can say though that I don't get off on being the high and mighty looking down on those fellow shooters that disagree with my views...
Last edited by bladeracer on 05 Sep 2019, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics