The best since Bradman...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The best since Bradman...

Post by Stix » 06 Sep 2019, 7:26 pm

So...
It bugs me...the whole "Steve Smith" thing...

If he is a cheat, (which he has admitted to), putting his name in the same sentence as The Don, is like...well its like sitting on a bus next to s stinky blob...just doesnt sit right with me...

Ive tried to forgive...telling myself (as im a believer in this to a degree) that everyone deserves a second chance...

But seriously...Aust Cricket Captain--surely the consequences of cheating should be finite--zip-zup-zoppoh--all over red rover...!!

I mean what example does it set...??...its ok to lie, mislead, cheat & effectively steal, but dont get caught...
snd if you get caught, cry and say you didnt mean it & you'll be duly rewarded... :unknown:

Im not interested in the cricket now...

Personslly id rather see a young bloke get the opportunity to represent the good ol Aussie spirit, with the young fella knowing full well that what it means to be a real Aussie, & how privelliged an opportunity it is...!!

What happened to the redneck puffed up chests of Thommo n Lillie against the good ol slick i know im the best Viv Richards & his entourage... :D

Bring back the Biff i say...& toss this its ok to cheat & be rewarded it crap...!!

And yea, i know its the Poms, but still id rather loose a game being represented an honorable young bloke who wears his honour, than be respresented by a lying cheat...!!

But then i wonder if he was the culprit, or the one to take the flack... :unknown:
It just all stinks...!!

Anyway...in my mind atleast, & im sure all you blokes that are within the ages of 40's up would have been raised to think the same, Bradman was a humble Aussie, & one that did us proud without having to cheat...

Im keen to get some ideas on where you stand on this subject of a caught & confessed cheater being likened to the Don...

And also...equally as reflective...how two faced our media is, what with sensationslising & making coin out of the cheating, & then with the greatest of hippocracy, tout him as an equsl hero to the Don...

Id love your thoughts guys...cos it sits off balance for me...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: The best since Bradman...

Post by tom604 » 06 Sep 2019, 10:57 pm

every team cheats but until smith the Aussies were above the rest,,ban for life,,make the punishment so severe that no one will risk cheating :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Sep 2019, 4:11 am

tom604 wrote:every team cheats but until smith the Aussies were above the rest,,ban for life,,make the punishment so severe that no one will risk cheating :thumbsup:

f*** that, no one else ever gets banned for life, there's cheats in every sport/business etc it's human nature. I personally think the punishment was a bit over the top considering what others have done and got for doing it. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Sep 2019, 4:14 am

I love Steve Smith, hes an awesome batsman and I wonder if Bradman would really stack up to him if he played today. I'm not sure he would really. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by xDom » 07 Sep 2019, 5:53 am

I know this is slightly away from the point but it’s related to the incident.
Remember when that radio bloke made some silly crack during the interview when Smith was bawling his eyes out?
That guy was absolutely crucified.. death threats, the works.
All he did was as made some ill timed crack and Australia turned its anger onto him.
There was more anger at the man for making a joke about the cheating incident than at the man who actually cheated.
I reckon Smith got off too lightly.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 07 Sep 2019, 7:17 am

I lived and breathed cricket growing up (80-90’s). Back then the players had a bit of go about them, plenty of heart and yep some of them were real characters. This lot are a whinging whining bunch of pussies. Hard to get interested in it nowadays.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Sep 2019, 8:39 am

Yes Stix I agree and was brought up to play fair and I think what they done was terrible and yes it's a slur on the don by comparing Smith with him but today how would sports people compete on a level playing field when most of the other teams are doing the same as Smith and the others have done China, Russia two of the worst culprits I to don't watch much sport anymore mainly for the unsportsman like conduct tantrums ,high tackles ,drugs and the list goes on but I to would sooner loose than cheat but unfortunately that's the way things are going at this time when so much is at stake and for the players to perform its like everything else it reverts to under handed tactics to achieve the intended goal one of the things I find that came out of the smith and Co incident was how stupid they were full well knowing that all those cameras were watching they aren't only bad sports people they are slightly stupid if you ask me but probably no different to Chapels underarm
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Sep 2019, 9:05 am

My two cents...cheating at world level, representing “our” country? Sorry - but see ya. Doesn’t matter how skilled you are, your character is as important as your trade...
Now was Steve Smith the instigator? I don’t know - more than likely not and the conversation was “take the wrap mate, play country for a year, we will get you back....” = result is an extended family of previous cricket tragics, no longer watch or even follow the game...afl has become similar in my house hold.,.the entire Essendon / management thing has completely shaken my extended families beliefs...

If anyone has watched the doco icarus - you’ll rule out the olympics as well...

Pessimism? Yep....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 Sep 2019, 10:10 am

Tbh in don't care.

It basically comes to what the society likes... they only like it if team Australia is winning. So when you are winning you go do whatever you want.

Maybe the comparison is regarding his batting and not his behaviour. But even then wether he did the crime or the crime just happened under his watch he did his time and repented/apologised.

And umm want it Australia under Greg Chappell who bowled the infamous underarm delivery. I think people now a days just like to get angry to get angry
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Sep 2019, 11:42 am

Ziad wrote:Tbh in don't care.

It basically comes to what the society likes... they only like it if team Australia is winning. So when you are winning you go do whatever you want.

Maybe the comparison is regarding his batting and not his behaviour. But even then wether he did the crime or the crime just happened under his watch he did his time and repented/apologised.

And umm want it Australia under Greg Chappell who bowled the infamous underarm delivery. I think people now a days just like to get angry to get angry

People are just retarded and unable to think for themselves anymore, problem solving requires thousands of peoples opinions to work it all out now, they old day you could work it out yourself and be happy with your decision, not now, everyone needs to have their say on it :lol: :unknown:

You only have to read some of the dumb arse questions asked around here to see proof of the fact. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by xDom » 07 Sep 2019, 11:58 am

" You only have to read some of the dumb arse questions asked around here to see proof of the fact. "

Yeah, sorry about that, mate!.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Sep 2019, 12:02 pm

xDom wrote:" You only have to read some of the dumb arse questions asked around here to see proof of the fact. "

Yeah, sorry about that, mate!.

:lol: :lol: your forgiven :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bill » 07 Sep 2019, 12:55 pm

Stix I think most people have a perception of Bradman being the nice guy on and off the pitch, was he a good sportsman in his era ??? his off field persona from what i gather was a bit of a khunt especially when cricketers pushed for decent pay as the sport transitioned to the professional era

The whole Steve Smith saga has been overplayed to death, pushing the rule book has been going on since adam and eve and the penalty he payed was way out of proportion.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 07 Sep 2019, 1:10 pm

Bill, pretty right there- read up on Chapelli on his dealings with the Don- or Bill O Reilly-or Jack Fingleton-thing is this for me- why the hell as a society do we stick sportsman up on a pedestal for stuff other than their sporting ability- sure if they happen to have another successful sphere in their lives then they can be taken seriously in that too. Australians and the cricket community in particular were pretty shocked by the whole sandpaper scandal but (and i think I can say this after many years of A Grade cricket, coaching and junior rep involvement) it was on the cards. The general behaviour standards even at a junior level are pretty poor these days and one of the main reason I stopped being involved was because of the stupid, inane and downright nasty so called banter that has become all too commonplace on the field, even at a club level. Smith has been pretty repentant (and has recieved a far greater punishment than many overseas players copped for similar offences) and should just be left to play cricket- and we as a society should judge him on that and probably that alone.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Sep 2019, 2:22 pm

PaddyT wrote:Bill, pretty right there- read up on Chapelli on his dealings with the Don- or Bill O Reilly-or Jack Fingleton-thing is this for me- why the hell as a society do we stick sportsman up on a pedestal for stuff other than their sporting ability- sure if they happen to have another successful sphere in their lives then they can be taken seriously in that too. Australians and the cricket community in particular were pretty shocked by the whole sandpaper scandal but (and i think I can say this after many years of A Grade cricket, coaching and junior rep involvement) it was on the cards. The general behaviour standards even at a junior level are pretty poor these days and one of the main reason I stopped being involved was because of the stupid, inane and downright nasty so called banter that has become all too commonplace on the field, even at a club level. Smith has been pretty repentant (and has recieved a far greater punishment than many overseas players copped for similar offences) and should just be left to play cricket- and we as a society should judge him on that and probably that alone.

Because sport has become big money and the sportsman are a commodity and their "brand" is worth more money the more they are talked about and idolised etc - quite simply they are worth $$$$ and the $$$ is all that really counts for a particular brand and those that are identified as being part of that brand. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Sep 2019, 2:40 pm

100% right.
Money...the root of all evil...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by gordicans » 07 Sep 2019, 2:41 pm

He has well and truly paid his penance. Every country was doing it, the Australians made the mistake of getting caught, not that this is an excuse. Every wondered why reverse swing suddenly stopped all around the world around March 2018?
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 Sep 2019, 6:32 pm

True... cuz not many people can do it without help.

Plus if you notice there aren't too many real good fast bowlers... like malcom marshal, waqar unis or wasim akram. The latter two I think started the reverse swing band wagon... without sandpaper
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by gordicans » 07 Sep 2019, 7:10 pm

"Plus if you notice there aren't too many real good fast bowlers... like malcom marshal, waqar unis or wasim akram"

An old girlfriend of mine f*cked Wasim Akram in the back of a Datsun 1200 outside Selenas in the Cross ... just say'n
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Sep 2019, 7:46 pm

Ziad wrote:True... cuz not many people can do it without help.

Plus if you notice there aren't too many real good fast bowlers... like malcom marshal, waqar unis or wasim akram. The latter two I think started the reverse swing band wagon... without sandpaper

Probably used dirt like a lot of em did and probably still do, they love one side of the ball shiny and the other with the lacquer removed to change the balance to get the different swings they like (perhaps they should just bring a ball out with a lacquered side and one without save all this cheating! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Sep 2019, 7:55 pm

Terry Alderman wasn’t fast but could swing it 2ft if the breeze was in his face.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 07 Sep 2019, 10:37 pm

Bill wrote:Stix I think most people have a perception of Bradman being the nice guy on and off the pitch, was he a good sportsman in his era ??? his off field persona from what i gather was a bit of a khunt especially when cricketers pushed for decent pay as the sport transitioned to the professional era

The whole Steve Smith saga has been overplayed to death, pushing the rule book has been going on since adam and eve and the penalty he payed was way out of proportion.

Ive never researched Bradman so its interesting to hear that sbout the Don given what we're led to brlieve in folk law...

Yes pushing the rule book has gone on for ever as you mention...its only natural for one to want any advantage to win....but outright cheating to me is beyond ethical...i mean i can live with pushing the boundaries using pitch dirt as sn abrsisive...but caught red handed with sand paper is so beyond the stretchiest of boundaries, its a fuking joke... :lol: ...and then to cry on national TV...FMD... :roll: ...i mean he's earned more money in one year than dozens of less fortunate will in all their lifetimes combined...and to cry like a baby, as if he only just suddenly realised what great mistake he made is just the epitomy of such obvious pathetic two faced acting to me... :roll: ...& hence i wonder why we accept this as 'normal'... :unknown:

I gather you mean his penalty is way out of proportion by way of it being to big a penalty...?

I guess the penalty is all relative to how one percieves things...
For example...an average working class JoBlo can potentially loose a job, & then everything they've ever worked for due the dishonest deceipt & corruption that is prevelant in their employers high flying executive jobs...(& sport such as cricket), yet the perpetrators continually get away with rewards for causing such devastation to others... :unknown:

Anyway...i think its interesting what we are, as a society, programmed to believe is acceptable...

Im sure if you trustingly welcomed me into your home & i behaved as Steve Smith has & somehow deceitfully lied to & cheated you, id be out on my arse, never to be welcomed back--EVER...
Yet, we somehow accept that its ok when its done at the hoghest levels of our society...such as Banking, Politics & elite sport, just to name a few.

Not argueing with you either...just bouncing thoughts of varying perspectives around...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 07 Sep 2019, 10:42 pm

going by a few of the replies we should allow betting on the outcome of the game,,,,by the players,,,after all everyone's doing it and if they cheat too much,well, give them a year off then straight back to the trough. before smith and co at least we had the moral high ground now we are just like the rest ,cheaters

i understand why they did it,(to win?) and if it was a war i would applaud them but its not, its a game and they are cheats :thumbsdown:

only slightly fishing :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by xDom » 07 Sep 2019, 10:48 pm

Agree with your comments. I think it comes down to sports stars being up on pedestals.

It’s conditioned into us that they are elevated above the rest of us.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 07 Sep 2019, 10:58 pm

PaddyT wrote:Bill, pretty right there- read up on Chapelli on his dealings with the Don- or Bill O Reilly-or Jack Fingleton-thing is this for me- why the hell as a society do we stick sportsman up on a pedestal for stuff other than their sporting ability- sure if they happen to have another successful sphere in their lives then they can be taken seriously in that too. Australians and the cricket community in particular were pretty shocked by the whole sandpaper scandal but (and i think I can say this after many years of A Grade cricket, coaching and junior rep involvement) it was on the cards. The general behaviour standards even at a junior level are pretty poor these days and one of the main reason I stopped being involved was because of the stupid, inane and downright nasty so called banter that has become all too commonplace on the field, even at a club level. Smith has been pretty repentant (and has recieved a far greater punishment than many overseas players copped for similar offences) and should just be left to play cricket- and we as a society should judge him on that and probably that alone.

PaddyT...im surprised to hear you say Smith "should just be left to play cricket- and we as a society should judge him on that and probably that alone"....especially after you having experienced what you have, & removing yourself from that culture--presumably because you're disgusted by it... :shock: :unknown:

Not having a crack...but i dont get that...its almost as if you're saying you despise it so bad you cant live it, but think its ok for others to be rewarded for it... :unknown:
Not sure if im missing something there mate... :unknown:

The thing is, if we accept this attitude at the highest levels of society, is it not fair to hold this attitude at ALL levels...?
I mean where do we stop...do we just judge someone who invaded the home of an elderly person & terrorised & stole from them, on the fact that they also hold down a 9-5 job & pay tax...?

Im not trying to be smart...just asking where the line is drawn for unscrupulous deceitful behaviour...?

I have no doubt we are all brainwashed & indoctrinated to believe this behaviour is "morraly acceptable", or we wouldnt be getting fukd over by the narcassistic governments that rule us with such insulting levels of theivery & corruption every single day--& really, for what benefit...??... :unknown: ...a better way of living... :lol: ...

The corruption in cricket obviously runs deeper than Smith& the 2 or 3 others caught...but i dont fully understand why we see it as being acceptable...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Sep 2019, 11:07 pm

gordicans wrote:"Plus if you notice there aren't too many real good fast bowlers... like malcom marshal, waqar unis or wasim akram"

An old girlfriend of mine f*cked Wasim Akram in the back of a Datsun 1200 outside Selenas in the Cross ... just say'n

:lol: :lol: :lol: Of all the comments i didnt expect to hear, i didnt expect to hear that one the most...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
What a cracker...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Sep 2019, 7:47 am

Now that's what I call ball tampering if there ever was :thumbsup: ;)
Member-Deleted

Post by trekin » 08 Sep 2019, 8:21 am

Ziad wrote:Tbh in don't care.

Although unsportsman like, underarm bowling was not banned or illegal at the time, so hardly cheating. However, the controversial discions of the two Australian umpires, in that same match, on three occasions prior to "the infamous underarm delivery" were deemed as and neither man would ever officiate another international cricket match, funny how we rarely hear about that through.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 08 Sep 2019, 9:55 am

Stix I guess you missed my first point-As a society we somehow put a cricketer (and lets face it lots of other sports stars) up on pedestals they simply dont belong on- because at the end of the day they are good at sport and probably thats about it!If we put someone who is young, not worldly wise and then expect them to better than everyone else then surely they are being set up to do stupid things. The cricket culture of today is merely a reflection of wider society (kids are told from a young age they can do anything and be anything, when reality is they cant) and I left the game because I didnt need to accept the BS that goes on in the real world in my precious recreation time as well(plus I was getting too bloody old to bowl anymore and I fricken hate standing in the field if i cant bowl). Sports stars should only be taken seriously for their sport- not other aspects of their lives, sure Smith should of been punished and his punishment was fair enough (I dont believe he should ever be considered for Captain again). It is a shame that politicians arent punished in the same way for corrupt behaviour and criminals seem to get off lightly these days and I cant really see pollies legislating for harsher punishments for their own indiscretions - look at the resistance to a Federal ICAC. Smiths crime was in the game of cricket and he was punished by the game of cricket- I would also imagine he lost some sponsorship dollars too-do we punish him elsewhere too? BTW you raise some excellent points so well done
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 08 Sep 2019, 10:29 am

Ah ok PaddyT...

I didnt miss your first point...but i did...lol...

I missed the points together--or i only understood them as individual points... :unknown: ...i know what i mean anyway... :lol:

But...i understand what you mean now--thanks for the explanation... :thumbsup:
Its a very obvious point too...& i completely missed it... :crazy: :roll: :lol:

Now i get the point, i think its a good wise one actially...
Seriously, that puts some perspective on the saga for me, & actially helps it to sit easier... (mind you i dont dwell on it...!!... :) )

You are dead right...the extended responsibility society puts on these young un-worldly types is generally too much, especially given their lack of life experience... :thumbsup:

Cheers for that...you've made me a wiser man...!!... (probably not hard to do... :lol: )

:drinks: .
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation