The best since Bradman...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The best since Bradman...

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Sep 2019, 11:27 am

Bradman was twice as good as anyone else in his era, had five years off at the peak of his powers for WW2. He also had to deal with the bodyline series. Smith gets knocked out by the single short delivery he had to face. Yes Bradman was twice as good as Smith.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Sep 2019, 12:52 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Bradman was twice as good as anyone else in his era, had five years off at the peak of his powers for WW2. He also had to deal with the bodyline series. Smith gets knocked out by the single short delivery he had to face. Yes Bradman was twice as good as Smith.

It would be great if we could really see how Bradman compares to players of this era, I'm not convinced he would be as good, all the technology today that is available to work out how batsman and bowlers operate and how to best get them out etc, would be an interesting comparison for sure.

As for Smith being knocked out he wasn't, this day and age they have to be removed for OHS reasons, I'm sure if it was around in Bradmans day the result would have been the same. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 08 Sep 2019, 5:06 pm

Dont get me wrong i dont watch cricket and i cant stand it for that matter. However u dont recall Bradman ever being caught up in "cheating scandals" I dispise cheats regardless of sport.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Sep 2019, 9:43 pm

I don't agree with what smith and his cohorts have done but lets be serious he got punished maybe paid for his actions but he will always be punished as he will go down in history as the captain that cheated and that is not something i'd like to live with so I honestly think he has paid his dues to cricket and now it's up to him to get on with it I was and still am disgusted with what they have done but how much do you punish someone he will have a life time of shame hanging over his head so lets see how he goes
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Sep 2019, 3:33 am

The Aussies win the Ashes! Well done to all the players for a fantastic Series and Smithy for winning the Ashes for us! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Sep 2019, 6:47 am

And in date say Smith for captain is now very likely
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bill » 09 Sep 2019, 8:17 am

Well done boyz !! :drinks:

Paine is growing into the job, Id be inclined to keep him in place for the rest of the year and the summer test series.

Smith played his best cricket without the C beside his name
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Sep 2019, 8:39 am

Bill wrote:Well done boyz !! :drinks:

Paine is growing into the job, Id be inclined to keep him in place for the rest of the year and the summer test series.

Bloody oath Bill, Steve seems to play better without the added pressure, I agree leave it as is. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 09 Sep 2019, 10:40 am

bigfellascott wrote:

Bloody oath Bill, Steve seems to play better without the added pressure, I agree leave it as is. :thumbsup:

Id have thought he'd felt plenty of pressure on return... :unknown:
But then to think aboit it, probably far less pressure than playing & as a cheating captain...
:)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 09 Sep 2019, 11:34 am

Well Paine did something neither Ponting or Clarke was able to achieve so he should be given the gig a bit longer
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Sep 2019, 12:29 pm

Bill wrote:Well Paine did something neither Ponting or Clarke was able to achieve so he should be given the gig a bit longer

Given crickets heirach How much influence does a captain really have over a cricket teams performance ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Sep 2019, 3:15 pm

Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

But then to think aboit it, probably far less pressure than playing & as a cheating captain...

Sounds like something a Pommie Loser would say. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 10 Sep 2019, 12:32 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Sounds like something a Pommie Loser would say. :lol:

& that sounds like something a "win at all & any costs" redneck would say... :lol:

My earlier point isnt said from a negative view point...
I say that because i think its true...

He would have done a lot of mental & physical exercise while being away...& returned with full support to just concentrate on cricket...

And look what happens--Steve Smith has demonstrated that when you can focus your skill on doing the right thing, instead of putting so much energy into doing the wrong thing...you end up with the same desired outcome, only in a more efficient & morraly sound way... :D

There's a pretty obvious message in that i think...for all walks of life... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2019, 2:05 pm

What performance gains were achieved with the other 2 cheats who would have gone through the same treatment? Steve Smith was always a brilliant player and probably always will be.

Smiths results aren't anything to do with some Pommie Theory, they are to do with him wanting to be the best he can be and get back to being the best he can be/was before all this rubbish started (they weren't the first to ball tamper trust me) it's something that's been going on for many many years going by all the others who have been busted doing it using all manner of things from (dirt in the pocket - Mike Atherton Pommie Capt at the time) Sth African Captain Faf du Plessis used a lollie in his ball tampering efforts, Sachin Tendulkar was accused of scuffing the seam of the ball, later found innocent, theres been incidents of zippers being used to scuff up the ball and god only knows how many other attempts have been made of the years to effect the way the ball plays when it comes to cricket, our mob were the latest and sure as s**t won't be the last trust me.

Cheers mate, enjoy the pint of bitter and bacon butty :D :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 10 Sep 2019, 8:03 pm

I wassnt...& didnt suggest others had a performance gain...
Youre either suggesting stress factors & mental/emotional resillience has no factor in someones performance, or missing the point that, that is what im suggesting...or both... :unknown:

Either way...im not argueing with you, against you, or anyone bigfella...i just made a comment...

Yes clearly they werent the first to attempt to cheat...they just happened to be the last, & if i may say so, the most stupid--i mean really...dirt in the pocket is atleast trying to conmceal it...but sand paper in the hand...FMD..im sure that will be added to a dictionary somewhere as a definition of "STUPID"...&.you sound like youre defending it as being above board because everyone else does it.. :unknown: ...youre entitled to think what you want & i respect that...mate... :thumbsup:

Smiths results--pommie theory...???...i dont know what your on about there... :unknown:

And i should add, i make the best bacon sanga's...you dont know it but you wish you could have one...or threee..!!--aint nothin wrong with a good feed of bacon n eggs in fried bread over the flaming coals of mallee roots after a morning stroll with the shottie...or a pint or 3 while chomping on charcoal grilled kill rigging up the spotty for a night of foxing..so i most certainly will enjoy my pint of bitter and bacon butty. :thumbsup:

Oh...& for the record if you're suggesting im a pom because you interpret a point of discussion as "whinging"... i should point out my heritage is haggis...yep...bending romans over for thousands of years, & wandering the highlands with only a skirt on the bottom half...& i must still have it in me cos i still wear short shorts for work outside every single day of the year & continually answer "NO" to the same people with the question of "arent you cold"...... :thumbsup:

Enjoy the cricket :D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation