100 days still no licence from NSW registry

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

100 days still no licence from NSW registry

Post by Vandal1 » 09 Sep 2019, 11:06 pm

Hey everyone,

Just signed up because I’m super frustrated with the registry. I sent my application and everything off the far and got the confirmation letter stating they had received it all. After about 35-40 day I called and asked if my application was received and filled out properly just in case I’d screwed something up, the lady said everything looked great, shouldn’t be much longer, call back in a week if you still haven’t gotten word from us. I’ve been checking online and there’s been no change to the application, still says in progress not authorised for firearms. I’ve called back an additional 2 times and been told that they are busy and about 2 weeks ago I got told they had just started going through June applications.

Is anyone else waiting this long right now? I spoke to a few gun shops and they all said 100 days is a bit long.

Let me know your thoughts.

Jake.
Vandal1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 100 days still no licence from NSW registry

Post by mikejay » 10 Sep 2019, 12:16 pm

Hey Jake,

What is the date of your application as it shows online?

What the girls say and what they actually find wrong are two different things. I did what you did and was told everything was fine with my application right up until the 90 day mark when I got a letter to say my safety course was stale, it was, did it two years ago .... stupid me for not looking, but had that fixed and resubmitted in 4 days.

100 days in not too long or unusual at the moment.

Have you used Google Maps to look up where the NSW Firearms Registry is? it will explain a lot, especially the street view.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Vandal1 » 10 Sep 2019, 12:36 pm

Hey mikejay,

The application date online reads as the 2nd of June.
I’ve gone over my application today and it’s all there and good so I suppose it’s jusg a waiting game now.

I’ll jump in google maps now and have a look, this will be interesting...
Thanks for the reply mate.

Jake.
Vandal1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Sep 2019, 12:44 pm

Makes some noise mate - squeaky wheels and all that. Find out their charter time frames for finalisation.
If you are beyond that time frame - likely - Tell them your penning a letter to your local member and putting a complaint in with ombudsman...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 10 Sep 2019, 7:07 pm

I took the better part of a year for cat c in qld (there was an amnesty on at the time) i submitted in march and got approved in nov then found out about the 28 day wait on my first gun took until feb before i coud pick up my semi auto 12g.
Call, be firm but also POLITE remember you cant have a temper and be a fit and proper person as well. I firmly believe the antagonistic slowness of weapons licencing is deliberate.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Sep 2019, 7:52 pm

Move to Victoria.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Vandal1 » 10 Sep 2019, 11:10 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply’s. Just so annoying, you do things by the book and this is what you get. Fair enough if they’re busy or backlogged, but the point is that we pay the fees, jump through the hoops and follow the law, yet I feel like I can’t even call them and be stern without fear of being branded “an unfit person”. Just frustrated is all. My brothers going on a hunting trip in 3 weeks and even if I got the licence tomorrow, I’ve still got the mandatory PTA to go through. Do they just make it as difficult as possible to deter people or something?

101 days and counting.
Vandal1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 11 Sep 2019, 9:37 pm

Yes mate, exactly that.

They make it as hard as possible to deter people. Ultimately they want no private ownership of guns.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vandal1 » 12 Sep 2019, 6:30 pm

Thought so. Well I suppose I will continue my wait and just try and be patient. I don’t think me calling them repeatedly is going to make a difference. They will take as long as they want really. Just really disappointed in the crappy service. Like they punish you for wanting a firearm. Cars kill more people in this country, don’t have to wait this long for a drivers licence, if you did, people would be marching through the streets and picketing Parliament House.
Vandal1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 12 Sep 2019, 6:35 pm

Vandal1 wrote:Thought so. Well I suppose I will continue my wait and just try and be patient. I don’t think me calling them repeatedly is going to make a difference. They will take as long as they want really. Just really disappointed in the crappy service. Like they punish you for wanting a firearm. Cars kill more people in this country, don’t have to wait this long for a drivers licence, if you did, people would be marching through the streets and picketing Parliament House.

You can take them to NCAT and they will have to explain why they don't issue you a licence. Unless they are willing to fight in court on the matter you will get your licence eventually.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rookie » 13 Sep 2019, 9:14 am

Hi Vandal1,

Checkout this thread and get a feel for what the real waiting time is viewtopic.php?f=74&t=10627

I was told once by FAR that they see more statuses than we do online (they could tell when the letter had been printed, or things have gone to ServiceNSW), so when you get “check again in a couple of weeks” I reckon it hasn’t progressed. When they tell you “you should be getting something soon” that means they’ve seen some progression.

Also, for new applications, we believe the online status checks only gets updated overnight Friday’s. We haven’t seen a fresh licence online status update on days other than a Saturday morning on that thread.

In saying all this, 2nd June applications should’ve been attended to by now. I had a new genuine reason added (which was subject to all new application waits) which was lodged online 3 June that was approved a few weeks ago. My mate who lodged his application a week later was 2 weeks behind mine.

I reckon give it til Saturday morning and check the online status of the application. If there is genuinely nothing wrong with your application it shouldn’t be far away. But if it doesn’t come thru, call again Monday and say others that have been approved or send an email (so I’ve been told, I haven’t done this) so u get a response in writing.

My other mate had a different name (like 35 characters long from NZ) and goes by an abbreviated name. His application took a few weeks longer than our original applications at the time. We figured it had to do with something like that .. something that maybe stopped the sync between FAR and ServiceNSW servers from happening automatically. We guessed it took someone to have to sync it manually.

Good luck, stay as patient as you can .. because waiting to receive the photo advice can be just as frustrating. We believe that the printing has been centralised and happens once a week possibly on the weekend for posting out early during the week. Lately this has meant notices taking a little over a week to actually be received (guessing the FAR notices don’t make it for printing on the same weekend as they get synced online).

Photo licence I originally received in 3 working days, took a little over a week this time too .. sad but at least you’re further along than others in the waiting game.

I rang FAR to check on my kids minor’s permits and they were still processing early May applications.. that’s 4 months and only progress was them receipting payment and not even scanned into the online status checks ..

Good luck
Mick
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws