Comparing projectiles

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Comparing projectiles

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Sep 2019, 2:08 pm

Hi folks, is there any difference between between the projectiles (barring weight) between the vmax and TAP rounds?
They look the same to me, but obviously might not be...
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Comparing projectiles

Post by Cooper » 11 Sep 2019, 2:37 pm

I assume your talking about the Factory TAP AMMO with the red tips. I am not sure. But kinda of thinking it is just a branding thing Hornady use? The TAP Projectiles I have are 62 gr soft point. I think the TAP ammo your referring to has a 60gr projectile with red tips. Could be just a 60gr Vmax? Don’t know
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Sep 2019, 4:24 pm

Harry,

Hornady on their website don't market or sell a "TAP" projectile to the public in any caliber or weight that I can see. If they have a purpose-built polymer tipped TAP projectile they are only using it in their TAP factory rounds, which would be odd since they sell all their other projies to the public as reloading components.

I note one well known large dealer sells the 62 grain soft point boat tail in bulk as TAP projies but don't see others selling them.

The only red-tipped 60 grain proj Hornady sell in 224 is the V-max. I suspect they're using it in the 60 grain TAP factory ammo and it is a marketing angle, but who knows, maybe it is an entirely new proj with magic bullet characteristics. :unknown: They shoot well in my Howa though :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Sep 2019, 5:43 pm

The popular Brisbane shop sells TAP projectiles which the pictures shows as lead tipped.

Is the Vmax too frangable for you? Do you need something to punch through a barrier before hitting the target?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 11 Sep 2019, 9:19 pm

Don't quote me but I recall reading somewhere the "ballistic tip" projectiles used in the tap ammo are in fact vmax
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Sep 2019, 9:34 pm

Cooper wrote:I assume your talking about the Factory TAP AMMO with the red tips. I am not sure. But kinda of thinking it is just a branding thing Hornady use? The TAP Projectiles I have are 62 gr soft point. I think the TAP ammo your referring to has a 60gr projectile with red tips. Could be just a 60gr Vmax? Don’t know

That's what I'm thinking.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Sep 2019, 9:37 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Harry,

Hornady on their website don't market or sell a "TAP" projectile to the public in any caliber or weight that I can see. If they have a purpose-built polymer tipped TAP projectile they are only using it in their TAP factory rounds, which would be odd since they sell all their other projies to the public as reloading components.

I note one well known large dealer sells the 62 grain soft point boat tail in bulk as TAP projies but don't see others selling them.

The only red-tipped 60 grain proj Hornady sell in 224 is the V-max. I suspect they're using it in the 60 grain TAP factory ammo and it is a marketing angle, but who knows, maybe it is an entirely new proj with magic bullet characteristics. :unknown: They shoot well in my Howa though :drinks:

Same, my Sauer 100 loves the 60 grain polymer tipped rounds. Very tight groups.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Sep 2019, 9:42 pm

SCJ429 wrote:The popular Brisbane shop sells TAP projectiles which the pictures shows as lead tipped.

Is the Vmax too frangable for you? Do you need something to punch through a barrier before hitting the target?

When I was trying rounds out, my rifle seemed to love them, and at $18 a box im not complaining, definitely does the job on foxes and anything else that wants a head shot.
Havnt had a chance to shoot a pig in the head yet.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Sep 2019, 9:43 pm

scoot wrote:Don't quote me but I recall reading somewhere the "ballistic tip" projectiles used in the tap ammo are in fact vmax

I thought so mate, cheers
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Sep 2019, 10:02 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:The popular Brisbane shop sells TAP projectiles which the pictures shows as lead tipped.

When I was trying rounds out, my rifle seemed to love them, and at $18 a box im not complaining, definitely does the job on foxes and anything else that wants a head shot.

On the latest ssaa mag the hornady 60gr tap are $16.99 rrp advertised price
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 12 Sep 2019, 8:12 am

I've been using polymer tipped 60g hornady TAP for a few years now. My warwick loves the stuff.
I used to buy it locally in a box of 200 for around $160.
When I saw the SSAA ad in the mag, I ordered a few more boxes as it has blown out to about $35 a pack here recently. Kinda weird for the importer to retail price the ammo in a mag...
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Sep 2019, 8:41 am

Ziad wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

On the latest ssaa mag the hornady 60gr tap are $16.99 rrp advertised price

Depending where you go of course, in Sydney iv found them between $18 and $20, with a bulk buy discount of $150 for 10 boxes, but that's a 45 minutes drive away thru the roll roads...
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Sep 2019, 8:44 am

MontyShooter wrote:I've been using polymer tipped 60g hornady TAP for a few years now. My warwick loves the stuff.
I used to buy it locally in a box of 200 for around $160.
When I saw the SSAA ad in the mag, I ordered a few more boxes as it has blown out to about $35 a pack here recently. Kinda weird for the importer to retail price the ammo in a mag...

Probably because retailers are inflating their prices?? Or possibly just to get the word out, the local store told me Winchester had slashed some prices because their stock wasn't moving, so they're trying to get their share of the market.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Sep 2019, 7:00 pm

I have used a 243 Vmax to head shoot pigs and it worked perfectly.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 12 Sep 2019, 7:03 pm

I am really liking the the TAP @Cooper that just has the soft point. I was a bit disappointed in that when you read the blurb and all the special things it can do. But then your faced with the Factory Ammunition that has the little red point and the loose bullets that are different. I shot 4 groups all pretty respectable on the last the POI had moved to the right about 1/2 inch with 4 going through the one hole and the 5 flyer 1/4 inch further right.

It might have been a cleaning thing or a barrel warming up thing not sure some more rounds down the tube should sort it out,

I think these may have been a bit long waiting in a box to be adjusted anyway they adjusted with the bolt ok will have to check the book in the shed for the exact load but it was with 24.6 grn of BM2
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics