QLD PTA before choosing the rifle

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

QLD PTA before choosing the rifle

Post by RunRabbit » 25 May 2019, 7:37 am

Hi All,

I've just applied for my A&B licence and I'm going to submit my PTA for a .22lr & .223.
I have pretty much chosen my rifles but I was hoping that I can just apply for the PTAs without having to choose the dealer that I will buy them through. Is that possible?

I was told over the phone that I just need to know the caliber and action but now that I'm filling in the online form, the field to put in the dealer licence number is mandatory.

Is there a way that I can get the PTA without it?
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: QLD PTA before choosing the rifle

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 25 May 2019, 6:09 pm

Welcome to queensland andvthebpta system sadly you must specify a dealer. Why we cant get a piece of paper and use it anywhere eludes me.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sus_scrofa » 26 May 2019, 6:04 am

Yes there is ways to do it. (so ignore people's posts that don't know or haven't done it before)

2 ways;

Do it online put a dealer then call them up and tell them you would like it changed to "Any QLD dealer" as the dealer hasn't got the firearm I was looking to purchase anymore.

Or do a manual paper permit and fill it all in tick "QLD dealer" box then put "Any QLD dealer" in where it asks for licence number.

These ways have worked for me in the past so i know from experience. (Unless things have changed lately) Here's a link for the paper PTA form too, Hope this helps

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... posing.htm
Sus_scrofa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RunRabbit » 26 May 2019, 5:18 pm

Thanks for the info! I might give them a call to confirm before I do it. I'll see if they allow it online too.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 12 Jun 2019, 10:03 am

Sus_scrofa wrote:Yes there is ways to do it. (so ignore people's posts that don't know or haven't done it before)
Or do a manual paper permit and fill it all in tick "QLD dealer" box then put "Any QLD dealer" in where it asks for licence number.
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... posing.htm

I've had a look at the Form 28 PTA, and it wants a lot of information about the 'Disposer', can this mostly be left uncompleted if "Any QLD dealer" is entered into the license number field?
And for the Weapons Details section, clearly category is needed but how much more detail needs to be included?

Any advice appreciated.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sus_scrofa » 14 Jun 2019, 10:28 pm

Call weapons licencing QLD 30157777 if unsure but here's the basics you need;

Category A or B
Type: rimfire, centre fire, shotgun, air rifle etc
Action: bolt, pump, lever, revolver, break or air
Calibre: 22lr, 223 or 12g etc
Hope this helps.
Sus_scrofa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RunRabbit » 26 Jun 2019, 8:58 pm

I called them and I was told that I really should put the dealer on there and if I change my mind, just submit it for an amendment. The lady was helpful and insinuated that if I didn't nominate a dealer then they wouldn't approve it.

I submitted it with my local dealer as the vendor and if I need to change it then I can for a small fee.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by perentie » 16 Sep 2019, 10:21 am

How long do you have to wait before its approved again if one wants to change the dealer.
I have an application in nominating one dealer , but I am now thinking dealer B has a better deal.
So I have to wait till the PTA gets here then send it back for ammendment. Is that how it works?
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Sep 2019, 10:57 am

The more simple and straightforward you make things by working within the rules of the system the less problems you’re likely to have . Find a dealer with the firearm you want , or order it in through that dealer and it’s straightforward with no phone calls to licensing or grey areas . Use the KISS system

JMHO
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws