Decisions, decisions, decisions - air rifle choice

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Decisions, decisions, decisions - air rifle choice

Post by garymck » 28 Apr 2019, 9:17 am

OK, I'm going to buy a PCP air rifle, have a PTA in my hands and a credit card with zero owed........

I need to buy the full kit:
Compressor
Cleaning kit
Gun case/bag
Gun
Scope

This is my first ever rifle of any sort.
I'm a pensioner, so funds are a bit limited - say up to 2k for the gun/scope combo - already budgeted for the other stuff.

Objective - bench rest target shooting, and possible field target competition (just for fun). I used to be an archer until I damaged my left shoulder rand loved both target and field competition. Hoping this can replace that void...

With a limited price range, and limited availability of choice in Australia I can go two ways:

cheaper gun + quality scope
more expensive gun + cheap scope (Ebay special?)
Example choice:
Kral Puncher Kumbo/Puncher Breaker + $5-600 scope
FX Dreamline + $100 Ebay scope

Which would you choose on a limited budget?

Like some of the choices at https://gunroom.com.au
How much hassle is it buying a rifle from Queensland if you live in Victoria?

cheers
Gary
Geelong
garymck
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions - air rifle choice

Post by Strikey » 28 Apr 2019, 9:57 am

First up what compressor are you looking at? PCP air rifles have a fill pressure of a minimum 200bar, more than your average workshop compressor can handle and you will also need to look at moisture removal from your compressed air. I wouldn't touch a cheap eBay scope, Hawke have a good range of air rifle suitable scopes. A cleaning kit is not necessary, you can either use VFG felt pellets that can be shot through or you can also use cotton earbuds but you don't tend to need to clean an air rifle barrel very often. With your budget I would be looking at the FX Streamline, comes regulated so a decent shot count before requiring a refill :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dagda » 28 Apr 2019, 9:17 pm

Was quite into air rifles when I lived in uk,
In pcp i had a AirArms S410 in .22 great gun was a real good shooter,
I used it for target and hunting rabbits,
Loved it was in my eyes the best around,
If I was getting a air rifle it would be one of them,
(I think the AirArms510 is the current version which I haven’t shot)
Would give the guys at the gun room a call, have been there and found them really knowledgeable and would say they would clear up some of your questions ie postage and package deals
Lithgow 101 22lr
Sauer 100 223
Howa 6.5 Grendel
Sauer 100 308
Dagda
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Apr 2019, 10:13 pm

garymck wrote:How much hassle is it buying a rifle from Queensland if you live in Victoria?

No difficulty at all, just pay for it. The interstate dealer sends it to your dealer, you go and pick it up. You'll likely pay a little more than the $25 for an interstate transfer though. With freight as well it's worth asking your dealer what price he can get if for you for.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 29 Apr 2019, 8:42 am

I'd go the FX - probably in .25 for the extra punch. I was eyeing the FXs a while back - they are nice guns.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Panzershreck » 16 Aug 2019, 10:59 pm

Dreamline is a beautiful rifle, which way did you go Gary? I have a Diana Outlaw on order in .25 cal, will give a review how it goes when time permits.
Panzershreck
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Aug 2019, 1:13 pm

Panzershreck wrote:Dreamline is a beautiful rifle, which way did you go Gary? I have a Diana Outlaw on order in .25 cal, will give a review how it goes when time permits.

I stared off with an FX Royale in 400 .22 loved it so much got a Royale 500 in .25, never looked back, has become my favourite and is deadly to 100mtrs which is about as far as I can see anyway.. lol seriously I would stay away from the cheap units seen quite a few of them and they don't come close to an FX. But of course money and preference play a big part so can't help you there, I run a Bushnell 4.5-18 x 50 MIL Dot Tactical with Parallax adjustment from 25 to infinity also I run off a scuba tank instead of a compressor which unless you have about $3+k they can be more trouble than they are worth, I average about 5000 pellets a year and so far not a problem in just over 3 years, I have taken everything from Bunnies to Foxes and even a few Roo's, I agree with going straight to the .25 you will never look back.
Good luck, let us all know what you end up with.
Member-Deleted

Post by scoot » 26 Aug 2019, 2:16 pm

So, I too have just dove into the pcp world. I've ordered a fx dreamline tac which will hopefully arrive by December (backorder for all dreamlines). Due to my remote location I am interested in any reviews on cheap compressors such as available from "gunroom". I will also run small backup bottles for fills but need to be self sufficient since there is no fill point nearby and I'm too fat and lazy for hand pumping.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by xDom » 26 Aug 2019, 3:08 pm

Why an air rifle? Would you be interested in a .22 rimfire?
Cheaper ( a lot if you’re talking about the setup you mentioned) and more versatile.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Aug 2019, 3:57 pm

xDom wrote:Why an air rifle? Would you be interested in a .22 rimfire?
Cheaper ( a lot if you’re talking about the setup you mentioned) and more versatile.

Cos they are semi auto's mate, you just keep pulling the trigger and they are a fair bit quieter than 22 rimfires too.

I agree though, not sure I could be bothered with all the fluffing around when it comes time for refills etc but each to their own. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scoot » 26 Aug 2019, 7:17 pm

I already have rimfires, centrefires and a springer...just adding more layers to the obsession.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Panzershreck » 26 Aug 2019, 10:37 pm

xDom wrote:Why an air rifle? Would you be interested in a .22 rimfire?

Air rifle also handy for taking game within the 100m distance and not have to worry about the round travelling a kilometre away if you miss.as pellet

velocity dissipates quickly.
Panzershreck
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 27 Aug 2019, 8:17 am

Have just bought a 2nd hand Weirarch HW100 22cal. These rifles have a pretty good reputation for reliability & accuracy.
I'm chasing up a large air cylinder from BOC gas, which I'll then decant into a smaller 300bar cylinder to have with me to fill as I need.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by peterclark » 24 Sep 2019, 8:17 pm

The Texan is the world's most powerful production air rifle. It's a revolutionary gun ready to bridge the gap between traditional firearms and high powered air rifles, forever destroying the perception that "it's just an airgun."
peterclark

Post by sungazer » 24 Sep 2019, 8:40 pm

@peterclark what would we do without you snippets of wisdom?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2019, 9:56 pm

sungazer wrote:@peterclark what would we do without you snippets of wisdom?

Why hasn't that account been canned already? They don't even understand English (that's why every post is a pasted cut), so it's not like they're ever going to offer any useful comment.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 Sep 2019, 8:08 am

Lol...
I thought it was gone...

Im sure i saw some of those non-sensical posts wiped from thread... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 25 Sep 2019, 8:15 am

Haha...just had a look...all those posts were wiped.

Maybe it was wiped & he opened another...can that be done... :unknown:

Or they wiped the posts & left the account...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ScottyD » 03 Dec 2019, 11:20 pm

Dagda wrote:Was quite into air rifles when I lived in uk,
In pcp i had a AirArms S410 in .22 great gun was a real good shooter,
I used it for target and hunting rabbits,
Loved it was in my eyes the best around,
If I was getting a air rifle it would be one of them,
(I think the AirArms510 is the current version which I haven’t shot)
Would give the guys at the gun room a call, have been there and found them really knowledgeable and would say they would clear up some of your questions ie postage and package deals

I'm also planning on getting into air rifles for 25m benchrest competition/10m indoor, as well as small pest control around the place and inside my shed (so .177 or .22)

I want to splash out for top shelf gear if possible (don't tell the wife :problem: ), my current short list consists of the obvious suspects:

Styer LG110
FX Impact
FX Dreamline
Air Arms S510
Weirauch HW100

How would you rate the Air Arms against this sort of company? I'd also welcome any and all comments/advice on these or any other options not yet on my list.

Cheers :)
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 04 Dec 2019, 9:29 am

I know some of the premium stuff involves a long lead time. Not many people stock this stuff to be able to look at or buy. I ordered an fx in August for late nov Dec delivery, rang the importer the other day and the shipment hasn't even left yet. Now looking at late Jan. :(

"Apparently"
Last edited by scoot on 05 Dec 2019, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by ScottyD » 04 Dec 2019, 8:04 pm

scoot wrote:I know some of the premium stuff involves a long lead time. Not many people stock this stuff to be able to look at or buy. I ordered an fx in August for late nov Dec delivery, rang the importer the other day and the shipment hasn't even left yet. Now looking at late Jan. :(

Yeah I'm starting to learn that. I was hoping to be able to try looking at and shouldering some of these rifles to narrow down the list, but I realise now that's probably not going to happen. :thumbsdown: I'll just have to keep pestering all you good folks for the drum :thumbsup:

BTW which FX are you going for?
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 04 Dec 2019, 8:59 pm

Ordered the dreamline tactical. Mainly just for s**ts and giggles, few pest birds, etc. I wanted something descent but not quite as serious as say an impact. After looking around the dreamline seemed to fit the bill best for me. Reasonably priced considering some of the other options.
I also considered a daystate and an air arms s510 but again no stock anywhere.
Not real sure of other models that would better suit competition style disciplines but i did come across several feinwerkbau and anzchutz target rifles on used gun sites, easily under $2000. Very serious looking units which may suit your needs.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by ScottyD » 05 Dec 2019, 12:34 am

scoot wrote:Ordered the dreamline tactical. Mainly just for s**ts and giggles, few pest birds, etc. I wanted something descent but not quite as serious as say an impact. After looking around the dreamline seemed to fit the bill best for me. Reasonably priced considering some of the other options.
I also considered a daystate and an air arms s510 but again no stock anywhere.
Not real sure of other models that would better suit competition style disciplines but i did come across several feinwerkbau and anzchutz target rifles on used gun sites, easily under $2000. Very serious looking units which may suit your needs.

Dreamline Tac, nice :thumbsup: I was also considering the Crown, as its a bit cheaper than the Impact but seems to still be very accurate/refined. I shot an FX Gladiator a while back, and was amazed at the quality of their stuff.

The Feinwerkbau & Anshutz are also fine candidates, shame all these top end air rifles are so expensive. It's looking like my air rifle is going to end up way more pricey than most of the rim & centrefire guns that I'm currently researching. Something tells me I'll probably be having to continue trawling the used sites, only problem is there then isn't any warranty. I'll just have to see if I can find a good gunsmith :problem:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles