FX Pocket Chonograph

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

FX Pocket Chonograph

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Sep 2019, 10:52 am

Hi all, has anybody used or had experience with the small FX branded Chronograph they sell for $389 I was just wondering as my experience with Crony's is very limited but with air rifles it becomes a necessity, I've seen the Lab units (way too expensive) but unfortunately the Caldwell unit is the next step down, however they tends to act up a lot from what I seen from my mates unit and heard from other users. The FX unit is designed with Air heads in mind so therefore limited to 1300fps or slower, not a unit most shooters will want, but for me it would be ideal for my FX and Anschutz rimfire.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-7hmq8es ... 52.jpg?c=2
Member-Deleted

Re: FX Pocket Chonograph

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2019, 10:58 am

Member-Deleted wrote:Hi all, has anybody used or had experience with the small FX branded Chronograph they sell for $389 I was just wondering as my experience with Crony's is very limited but with air rifles it becomes a necessity, I've seen the Lab units (way too expensive) but unfortunately the Caldwell unit is the next step down, however they tends to act up a lot from what I seen from my mates unit and heard from other users. The FX unit is designed with Air heads in mind so therefore limited to 1300fps or slower, not a unit most shooters will want, but for me it would be ideal for my FX and Anschutz rimfire.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-7hmq8es ... 52.jpg?c=2

Why do you need to know your velocity with air rifles?
I haven't tried shooting pellets over my chronograph as there seems little point, it's not like I can adjust it in any way. I just test shoot as many different types of pellet as I can find, then stick with whatever the rifle shoots most accurately.
I could try some over my $230 ProChono if you want to know if it works with the tiny pellets.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Sep 2019, 11:21 am

Bladeracer the reason I would like one for my FX is because they have power settings (3) and also to allow correct adjustment of the regulator, and to confirm the shot count before power starts to drop off, lot of air rifles are advertised at a certain shot count, for example mine is 40-60 shots before I need to refill, but in reality its only that on medium setting not max, from what I can tell anyway. My FX is a .25 so I use only JSB which are in two different weights doing obviously different speeds, also if I want to use slugs not pellets again adjustments are required as they are heavier than pellets, I can do as you said above and shoot whatever is the most accurate, but I will never be able to extract the best from a very versatile rifle. My question was directly linked to the FX as that seems to be the one that suits my needs, thanks for. the offer.
Member-Deleted

Post by scoot » 05 Sep 2019, 5:01 pm

I'd love some advice too. Fx air rifle on order and as mentioned above, a chronograph seems mandatory with the amount of different adjustments available. The fx pocket chrono does look like a neat little unit but the only info around is all promotional. At the price point is it better to go with a more versatile system that can be used with higher velocity???
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Strikey » 05 Sep 2019, 6:40 pm

To those who say there is no point in chronographing an air rifle, stick with your powderburners :thumbsup:

I have read on a couple of forums and the FX page there is a few issues with these chrony's, think they are awaiting an update for the app that runs them, there is another similar unit available, a mate has one and I think he bought it from one of the Pommy airgun shops that sell online, it's apparently the same as used at the World FT Championships and it may be slightly cheaper than the FX unit. I chronograph all my PCP airguns to find the sweetspot for fill pressure and shot curve/string, only 2 airguns are regulated so need to know how many shots before dropping off the reg.

Edit:: Found it but buggered if I know how to link it here, have a look at Blackpool Air Rifles, they have the Air Chrony :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Sep 2019, 7:45 am

Strikey wrote:To those who say there is no point in chronographing an air rifle, stick with your powderburners :thumbsup:

I have read on a couple of forums and the FX page there is a few issues with these chrony's, think they are awaiting an update for the app that runs them, there is another similar unit available, a mate has one and I think he bought it from one of the Pommy airgun shops that sell online, it's apparently the same as used at the World FT Championships and it may be slightly cheaper than the FX unit. I chronograph all my PCP airguns to find the sweetspot for fill pressure and shot curve/string, only 2 airguns are regulated so need to know how many shots before dropping off the reg.

Edit:: Found it but buggered if I know how to link it here, have a look at Blackpool Air Rifles, they have the Air Chrony :thumbsup:

Thanks Strikey, the main reason for a pocket unit is that when I go bush I simply cant be bothered setting up many of the other traditional type Chrony's, will definitely check the suggested unit, thanks again.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Sep 2019, 7:52 am

scoot wrote:I'd love some advice too. Fx air rifle on order and as mentioned above, a chronograph seems mandatory with the amount of different adjustments available. The fx pocket chrono does look like a neat little unit but the only info around is all promotional. At the price point is it better to go with a more versatile system that can be used with higher velocity???

Spot on Scoot, a good Chonograph to an Air Head is as necessary as a digital scales for centrefire reloading, Strikey hit it on the head, so versatile are the FX guns that fine tuning to specific pellets or slugs is a must, otherwise you will never fully know your rifles performance ability. Which model are you getting and what calibre? I have a 500 Royale in .25 a Boss in .30 and just about to land a Dreamlite Lite in .22, I have taken some great Game with the .25 and .30. Good luck hope you enjoy, careful of YouTube experts :D
Member-Deleted

Post by scoot » 06 Sep 2019, 8:38 am

I've ordered a dreamline tactical in .22. Delivery is expected around nov/Dec. I can't wait and have been online shopping for all the other bits and pieces in anticipation.i went for the .22 for availability of pellets etc and most reviews, tips etc on the net are based around this caliber.however I am very interested in light .30 slugs later.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Sep 2019, 8:51 am

scoot wrote:I've ordered a dreamline tactical in .22. Delivery is expected around nov/Dec. I can't wait and have been online shopping for all the other bits and pieces in anticipation.i went for the .22 for availability of pellets etc and most reviews, tips etc on the net are based around this caliber.however I am very interested in light .30 slugs later.

Good choice mate, don't be worried about Pellet availability, Hermanns Sporting goods in Vic carries all JSB both light and heavies in all calibres, ACME (Klaus) also in Vic, carries the next best thing to Neilson slugs, H&N Grizzly in .22,.25 and .30 and whilst not as accurate as the Neilson, it groups out my .30 and .25 around 20mm at 100 but at 50 its around 12mm heaps good enough for hunting, for target work I always use Pellets but once Neilson becomes available it should be as good as any pellet in accuracy but deadly in the field. Good luck again mate, enjoy :thumbsup:
Last edited by Member-Deleted on 06 Sep 2019, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member-Deleted

Post by scoot » 06 Sep 2019, 9:32 am

The idea of accurate shooting at even 50 metres with an airgun is cool. If I can manage anything close to the results you are achieving I'll be stoked. I predict with a bit of experimentation it will be the stooge behind the trigger that limits the potential.
I did have a quick look at the air chrony last light, definitely requires consideration.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Sep 2019, 10:54 am

Scoot, all FX's shoot amazing out of the box but mostly only with JSB pellets, don't waste your money by trying a million brands and weights, if you want it to shoot .6 at 50 it will do it from the box with JSB's, later when you get right into it you can muck about, as I mentioned we tried over 15 different brands and weights, not one was up to the accuracy that FX's are renowned for, remember FX were designed to use JSB's. Different story with slugs and there you have no choice but to use H&N Grizzly which is a semi slug that's the case for now anyway. FX's come pre-tuned from the factory so shooters don't need to do much apart from obliterating a target or Game :drinks: Oh a last suggestion, if you want it, pick the best FFP Mil scope you can afford, make sure the parallax is adjustable down as close as 25mtrs, will make your shooting a lot easier, all of mine are set up this way and wear 4-16x50, keep in touch curious how you go, or PM me for anything, I spent a fortune on unsuitable scopes only to change them out once I found out that PCP's are a different beast to other rifles.
Member-Deleted

Post by Strikey » 06 Sep 2019, 3:04 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Thanks Strikey, the main reason for a pocket unit is that when I go bush I simply cant be bothered setting up many of the other traditional type Chrony's, will definitely check the suggested unit, thanks again.

I hear ya about setting up a normal chrony, that's why I don't use mine much anymore, the rifles are tuned and I am sticking with 2 different weight pellets for them. The Air Chrony is only about 4"x3"x5" that's about what my mates is, reasonably compact and very easy to use. Not all FX air rifles will shoot JSB pellets, my Royale 400 shoots tackholes with H&N Baracuda Match, anything JSB I get fliers and the occasional pellet going sideways through the target at 50m and it won't be on my target :lol:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2019, 3:41 pm

I hear ya about setting up a normal chrony, that's why I don't use mine much anymore, the rifles are tuned and I am sticking with 2 different weight pellets for them. The Air Chrony is only about 4"x3"x5" that's about what my mates is, reasonably compact and very easy to use. Not all FX air rifles will shoot JSB pellets, my Royale 400 shoots tackholes with H&N Baracuda Match, anything JSB I get fliers and the occasional pellet going sideways through the target at 50m and it won't be on my target :lol:[/quote]

What do you mean by setting up a chronograph? Mine doesn't need to be set up at all. I place it on the ground in front of me if I'm shooting prone, or on a tripod. Them I turn it on and start shooting, there's nothing to set up. I don't use the light screens.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scoot » 06 Sep 2019, 8:19 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Scoot, all FX's shoot amazing out of the box but mostly only with JSB pellets, don't waste your money by trying a million brands and weights, if you want it to shoot .6 at 50 it will do it from the box with JSB's, later when you get right into it you can muck about, as I mentioned we tried over 15 different brands and weights, not one was up to the accuracy that FX's are renowned for, remember FX were designed to use JSB's. Different story with slugs and there you have no choice but to use H&N Grizzly which is a semi slug that's the case for now anyway. FX's come pre-tuned from the factory so shooters don't need to do much apart from obliterating a target or Game :drinks: Oh a last suggestion, if you want it, pick the best FFP Mil scope you can afford, make sure the parallax is adjustable down as close as 25mtrs, will make your shooting a lot easier, all of mine are set up this way and wear 4-16x50, keep in touch curious how you go, or PM me for anything, I spent a fortune on unsuitable scopes only to change them out once I found out that PCP's are a different beast to other rifles.

I want to run the jsb jumbo heavys (18g) and the new jsb hades (16g from memory) if I can get them. I believe they are based on the jumbo heavies only with cavities at the front for expansion in a hunting scenario.
I'll have some fun before tampering with the settings too much. I'm thinking a d.o.p.e. book is a good idea when I do try to adjust settings....if only to revert back to std. When it turns pear shaped. :shock:
I have a spare bushnell elite tactical 5-15x40. It's SFP but does have parallax adjustment. It didn't really float my boat on my .308 so I swapped it out. I will probably run it for a while since the funds are rapidly diminishing on all the accessories I tell myself I need. Maybe once I can hide some more cash from the boss lady I'll upgrade :thumbsup:
Fore-warning, when i finally get my hands on it I might have to bust your chops when I get stuck......thanks :drinks:
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by peterclark » 27 Sep 2019, 8:06 pm

Air gunners want to know the velocity and power coming out of their rifle. This is especially important with FX Airguns that allow the ability to tune, change calibers, and change barrel liners. A chronograph is a key tool needed to maximize the accuracy of your rifle.

In the chronograph world, you really only have two options: The expensive complicated units that gives you most of what you need, but cost far too much, or the cheaper models that are outdated, not very portable, are light sensitive/dependent, and often break easily.
peterclark

Post by sungazer » 27 Sep 2019, 10:00 pm

The Magneto Speed I think would be a good option it does not rely on sun or at least a constant light source. It is very portable and easy to use. I have one and have used it for rimfires with no problems. they are about $300 new for the sporter model or you can get the delux model for about twice that or for about the $300 second hand. There should be no issues buying second hand they are not something that is prone to wear.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 27 Sep 2019, 10:48 pm

sungazer wrote:The Magneto Speed I think would be a good option it does not rely on sun or at least a constant light source. It is very portable and easy to use. I have one and have used it for rimfires with no problems. they are about $300 new for the sporter model or you can get the delux model for about twice that or for about the $300 second hand. There should be no issues buying second hand they are not something that is prone to wear.

What keeps putting me off the Magnetospeed is that I want to be able to use it on lots of different rifles, mainly milsurps. I'd have to fabricate different mounts to fit each rifle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 28 Sep 2019, 8:46 am

Who was the member here thst got deleted...?

And why were they deleted...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by scoot » 28 Sep 2019, 9:05 am

:unknown: Does anyone know if the air chrony like blade mentioned works with powder burners. Their site states the velocity readings are high enough but I saw somewhere else that mentioned they are only good for airguns, don't use with rifles???? :unknown:
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Sep 2019, 10:51 am

Stix wrote:Who was the member here thst got deleted...?

And why were they deleted...?

Your a nosy bastard aren't ya :D I was wondering the same thing TBH :lol: :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sungazer » 28 Sep 2019, 5:32 pm

Petty sure he was there this morning. I sort of checked to make sure this thread was current and not a Peterclark revival.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles