Point me in the right direction (Please)

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Point me in the right direction (Please)

Post by FlyingStick » 10 Oct 2019, 8:10 am

Hi All,

So - I started reading through various threads in this subsection and although there is some good info available, I had so many questions I think it would take a while to get where I need to be.

So. I'm a current holder of a firearms license. Till now, I have primarily focused on hunting, however I've spent a lot of time in the past behind a bow shooting comps and I'm starting to feel the urge to give rifle shooting comps a go.

I have two rifles, a CZ with three barrels (22LR, 22WMR, 17HMR) and a Howa 1500 223. All basically hunting/sporter rifles and not really setup for target based on my basic understanding

What the best entry point into target shooting/comps? Do I start with the/a 22LR? Will my CZ cut the mustard? Can I start with what I have and see how I go first? What other kit would I need?

Where's a good place to join/attend close to the Northern suburbs of Melbourne?

What disciplines would one start with? Is there a discipline that would be fun competitively but would also help me improve my hunting capabilities and skills?

At a really high level, what are the costs involved?

Sorry - so many questions. I loved target archery, and I still have my target bow but I cannot keep up with archery & firearms, due to the time and financial commitment. So I feel the time has come to bite the bullet (:D) and give target shooting a go...

So, in summary, my questions:

1. Do I start with 22LR?
2. Would the CZ455 I currently own do the job?
3. What other kit would I need?
4. Good clubs near the outer northern suburbs of Melbourne?
5. What disciplines would you reccomend I start with?
6. Do any disciplines also support building skills I can use in the field/hunting?
7. What are the high level costs?

Thanks in advance guys.

B
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Point me in the right direction (Please)

Post by FlyingStick » 10 Oct 2019, 8:16 am

Also, what is the time commitment. How often do shooters generally attend?
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Oct 2019, 8:51 am

G'day FlyingStick,
22 can be shot at Springvale SSAA, or centrefire at Little River. A good comp for your needs would be Field Rifle, based on hunting skills and includes both centrefire and rimfire comps. Most comps are generally shot once a month. Jump onto the SSAA website and check out the disciplines tab for Field Rifle, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Oct 2019, 9:21 am

I agree, use your 22lr in Field Rifle and 3P. Shoot every week, aim to shoot a couple of hundred rounds a week. Cost start at reasonable to excessive depending on what you want to shoot and what comps you want to attend.

Don't expect to win early on and be persistent if you are struggling at first.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by FlyingStick » 10 Oct 2019, 9:34 am

I was leaning towards starting with the 22LR.

I do like the look of Field and 3P after having a look at the SSAA website, seems right up my alley, at least as a starting/entry point.

My only issue is going to be that the CZ I have lives with the 17HMR barrel as it's a dedicated bunny gun. So I will either have to swap barrels out when I need to take it hunting (And re-zero) or invest in a budget 22LR (I already have a spare Vortex DB 4-12 I can live with for now).

And yes, coming from archery, I very much know the feeling of not winning at the start, or at the end lol..... :D

Question - Little river is an extra 10 minutes away. I've been there but not to Springvale. Is it worth the additional 10 minutes?
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Oct 2019, 12:03 pm

What scopes are you running ? If you are hunting with the .22 and have a basic 4x or 6x or 3-9, then your going to struggle a little, as seeing the poi on a .22 is a huge benefit on the bench...especially if windy. As others have said - how deep do you wish to go? I’ve seen some ppl using a $3,000 nightforce or Swarovski or better and cradles that do everything but pull the trigger...the ocean is as deep as you can swim :-)
Have you explored what ammunition the CZ enjoys? Have you shot groups at all ? at 50 or similar? Results?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by FlyingStick » 10 Oct 2019, 12:33 pm

The CZ runs a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40.

I have not really explored .22 with it, only 17HMR and 22WMR, of which in both calibers it shoots Hornady VMAX well.

Just keep in mind. I’ve never tried the sport. So don’t want to do investing thousands to find I’m not going to stick to it.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 10 Oct 2019, 12:44 pm

I do however have a spare Vortex Diamondback 4-12 laying around.

Considering purchasing a dedicated 22lr for target.

But then I run the risk of investing in a rifle I may not use (if target isn’t my thing).

Alternatively. I chuck the 22lr barrel on my CZ. Find a round it likes. And either use the 22 barrel to shoot comps AND hunt or swap out barrels before I go hunting.

Edit - in case it makes a difference. I’m really liking the look of what was suggested above, Field and 3P comps
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 10 Oct 2019, 1:05 pm

If you're concerned about changing barrels or scopes, and returning to zero, get one of these: - https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-740001C ... 249&sr=8-7
After sighting in the rifle/scope combo', put the bore-sighter on the muzzle and make a note of where the cross-hair sits on the cross-hatch screen. Keep a notebook.
Then, whenever you remove the scope, or whatever, use the bore-sighter to return the cross-hair to that same, previously noted, point. Couldn't be easier.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 10 Oct 2019, 1:49 pm

You can shoot Metallic Silhouette comps too :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Oct 2019, 3:13 pm

The CZ is fine to dip your toe in the water. Try some decent subsonic ammo like RWS, Eley or Lapua.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by FlyingStick » 10 Oct 2019, 3:20 pm

No1_49er wrote:If you're concerned about changing barrels or scopes, and returning to zero, get one of these: - https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-740001C ... 249&sr=8-7
After sighting in the rifle/scope combo', put the bore-sighter on the muzzle and make a note of where the cross-hair sits on the cross-hatch screen. Keep a notebook.
Then, whenever you remove the scope, or whatever, use the bore-sighter to return the cross-hair to that same, previously noted, point. Couldn't be easier.

That could be the ticket!

Will it get me right back on?

I love my CZ. Much rather buy a tool like this and use a rifle I’m familiar with!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 10 Oct 2019, 6:36 pm

FlyingStick wrote:That could be the ticket!
Will it get me right back on?
I love my CZ. Much rather buy a tool like this and use a rifle I’m familiar with!

I have two: Wouldn't go to the range without one.
The first I bought many years ago is a Leupold, now no longer available, but occasionally pop up on eBay.
More recently I bought the Bushnell version.Cost me less than $60 if I remember correctly.
The Bushnell variety is made in China (what isn't?) and it's quite likely they will remain available at places like Amazon/eBay.
I have no hesitation in recommending them because they are so simple, and totally repeatable.
I also prefer them because they are not reliant on an arbour that has to be inserted into the bore at the muzzle. These simply latch onto the crown magnetically.
Easy as.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 11 Oct 2019, 10:51 am

Try metallic silhouette. There would be more CZ/Brno's on the line than any other brand. You would struggle with the 3-9, go with the higher powered one that you have. For competition shooting you will have to use the .22LR barrel, .17's are not allowed. Shooting a .22 at targets out to 100m off-hand, will teach you some skills that will come in very handy when out hunting.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 20 Oct 2019, 6:07 am

Gamerancher wrote:Try metallic silhouette. There would be more CZ/Brno's on the line than any other brand. You would struggle with the 3-9, go with the higher powered one that you have. For competition shooting you will have to use the .22LR barrel, .17's are not allowed. Shooting a .22 at targets out to 100m off-hand, will teach you some skills that will come in very handy when out hunting.

Excellent point on silhouette being invaluable as training for snap shot precision hunting skills.

There is also a 'hunting' class in silhouette comps so your CZ would be ideal.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by FlyingStick » 23 Oct 2019, 11:01 am

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Had a good chat with someone over at SSAA regarding the Field discipline.

Given a few mentioned silhouette, I may also give that a shot at some point too.

I’ve decided to throw the 22LR barrel on the CZ and head down to Little River and give that it a go.

Waiting on an email back from someone from Little River regarding when a good time to get involved is.

However. Is there someone here that shoots field at Little River that could advise when a good time for a newbie to get involved is? Is it advisable to rock up to a Comp or is there a practice session I could attend? Even happy to come and watch at first. We used to run come and try events for archery, not sure there is such a thing for Field Rifle.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 23 Oct 2019, 5:17 pm

FlyingStick wrote:Thanks for all the replies folks.

Had a good chat with someone over at SSAA regarding the Field discipline.

Given a few mentioned silhouette, I may also give that a shot at some point too.

I’ve decided to throw the 22LR barrel on the CZ and head down to Little River and give that it a go.

Waiting on an email back from someone from Little River regarding when a good time to get involved is.

However. Is there someone here that shoots field at Little River that could advise when a good time for a newbie to get involved is? Is it advisable to rock up to a Comp or is there a practice session I could attend? Even happy to come and watch at first. We used to run come and try events for archery, not sure there is such a thing for Field Rifle.

feild rifle is a lot of fun, with the FUN part being most important . just turn up and have a crack :D . i do centrefire feild rifle at my local range and enjoy it immensly . i have a silly accurate cz 452 "american" 22lr that loves SK match ammo and will make one hole at 50 with it . i've been meaning to do feild rimfire as well , gotta get motivated ;) i don't like a heavy 22 cause their not as easy to shoot off hand as the cz . factor that in if you go for a dedicated rifle for this comp :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges