2 and 1/16th pigs

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

2 and 1/16th pigs

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Oct 2019, 3:15 pm

100_5448.JPG
100_5448.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1939 times
100_5449.JPG
100_5449.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 1939 times
100_5447.JPG
100_5447.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1939 times
100_5443.JPG
100_5443.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1939 times
Well against my better judgement I went out last night (overcast, but still pretty bright) in the hopes of another dog.
The dogs have certainly been quiet.
At 1am I saw the scrawniest little fox I've ever seen, with massive erect ears.
It was in amongst trees and bushes and never stopped still once, and eventually disappeared into the distance.

At 2-30am the pigs started moving, and I took 2 and 1/16th

When you look at the pics you'll understand why I said 1/16th of a pig.

This morning I went back after daylight to drag them well clear of the dam and noticed fresh tracks in the mud of a pig,,,, a HUGE pig.
So hopefully I'll eventually catch up to that one.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: 2 and 1/16th pigs

Post by Blr243 » 11 Oct 2019, 3:57 pm

Looks like u had a good night. Maybe the huge pig sent the smaller ones in first to get u out of the way so he could have a nice drink in peace. It’s nice to know there’s a decent pig around for next time. Helps us to keep our eyes open during the night ......I m mindful of where the pigs might be watering on my hunting place but I’m not yet concentrating on it too much just yet as I am currently successful in catching them feeding at night after their evening drink and before then dawn drink Summertime daytime hunts will be hot hard work on this place but I’m keen for it as I have not done a summer hunt there yet ......actually while writing this I think I really should stake out a dam pre dawn next to my nighttime paddocks. Ambushing the pigs drinking pre dawn Has got too be a nice easy lazy way to finish the night s hunt
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Oct 2019, 4:26 pm

Blr243 wrote: I think I really should stake out a dam pre dawn next to my nighttime paddocks. Ambushing the pigs drinking pre dawn Has got too be a nice easy lazy way to finish the night s hunt

From my recent experiences, I'd suggest putting a camera on it for a couple nights beforehand.
I've noticed that they change times at which they drink/pass through.
One week it'll be between 10pm and midnight.
Then, the next week it might be 3am to 4-30am

:unknown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Oct 2019, 4:30 pm

I forgot to say, that when I came back to drag carcasses away, I measured BABE
It was only 14" long. :cry:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Oct 2019, 5:51 pm

I actually have some video footage from my last trip of several real small ones running towards me confused I just didn’t have it in me to shoot them so I let them be on their way On the other hand I paused for a moment to think about the really big boar I got on my last trip. I don’t know how old he was but for maybe 5 years he’s been shagging, fighting dodging poison , ground hunters , chopper shooters, doggers and traps . So sort of sad that one night his journey ended in a second while comfortably feeding in a dark paddock
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Oct 2019, 5:53 pm

Actually forget the traps , he would not have fitted through the door of a pig trap
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey