Upgrade to a .204?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Upgrade to a .204?

Post by xDom » 11 Oct 2019, 7:46 pm

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the 204. It sounds like my kind of rifle.
Do you think it’s got much over a good quality 223, which I already have, for foxes, rabbits, roos (where permissible)
I’m always interested in new calibres.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Upgrade to a .204?

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2019, 7:54 pm

xDom wrote:I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the 204. It sounds like my kind of rifle.
Do you think it’s got much over a good quality 223, which I already have, for foxes, rabbits, roos (where permissible)

I have both, and would say it's the other way around. The .223 is far more versatile than the .204. The .204 is a terrific cartridge but with a very narrow focus, bullets from 24gn to 40gn. My .223 does everything my .204 can do, except the 4400fps, but can also shoot 80gn bullets.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by xDom » 11 Oct 2019, 8:05 pm

Thanks, what is your longest distance kill from your 223?
I’m quite enamoured with those videos posted with that bloke popping bunnies at 500m off the bonnet off his v dub.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2019, 8:19 pm

xDom wrote:Thanks, what is your longest distance kill from your 223?
I’m quite enamoured with those videos posted with that bloke popping bunnies at 500m off the bonnet off his v dub.

I have a rule that I don't shoot at a live target further than I'm willing to run, in case I screw up the shot, about 300m max. All of my kills have been well under that.

But for longer ranges than 300m, the heavier high-BC bullets of the .223 will have significantly less wind deflection over the .204.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 11 Oct 2019, 9:03 pm

I have a 204, which I love. I agree with Bladeracer that your .223 is more versatile. If your .223 will shoot a 40 grain pill, it would be very close to the 204 in performance in my view. Having said that, as you live in Victoria you probably wouldn’t have a hassle licensing the .204 and the .223. If I thought I could licence both, I would.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Oct 2019, 9:09 pm

I am a fan of the 204 but I only shoot 39 or 40 grain bullets. They make a 204 into one of the most flat shooting wind bucking kick arse rounds about. Yes you could shoot a 40 grain pill out of your 223 but it wouldn't shoot as flat as the 204. The 223 is for sensible people and you already have one.

Make sure your 204 says Tikka or Sako on the side of it and you will never stop grinning.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2019, 9:33 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:I have a 204, which I love. I agree with Bladeracer that your .223 is more versatile. If your .223 will shoot a 40 grain pill, it would be very close to the 204 in performance in my view. Having said that, as you live in Victoria you probably wouldn’t have a hassle licensing the .204 and the .223. If I thought I could licence both, I would.

My Ruger shoots 35gn to 80gn equally weĺl, I haven't tested the 30gn or 90gn bullets yet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2019, 9:37 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I am a fan of the 204 but I only shoot 39 or 40 grain bullets. They make a 204 into one of the most flat shooting wind bucking kick arse rounds about. Yes you could shoot a 40 grain pill out of your 223 but it wouldn't shoot as flat as the 204. The 223 is for sensible people and you already have one.

Make sure your 204 says Tikka or Sako on the side of it and you will never stop grinning.

Do you have a .223Rem as well?
Flat shooting is good, but only really useful when spotlighting, if you can range your target, trajectory becomes irrelevant. And beating the wind also trumps flat-shooting, most of us can estimate range and adjust for it much better than we can read and adjust for wind.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Oct 2019, 10:22 pm

Yes I have a 223, and I shoot it heaps. Yes it shoots 80s very well but I don't hunt with them. I use 50 grainers which work quite well but it is nothing like a 40 grain bullet out of a 204. What is the wind drift difference between a 40 grain 204 compared to a 223 shooting a 50 or even a 70 grain bullet?

Like I said before, shoot the 223 because you are sensible. Shoot the 204 because it turns things inside out and it has awesome ballistics.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2019, 10:51 pm

xDom wrote:I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the 204. It sounds like my kind of rifle.

Another important aspect is whether you load your own ammo.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Oct 2019, 12:13 am

There are many reasons to like a 204...especially if you have a fettish for fast little zippy rounds, love shooting bunny's & foxes, and have a 223 that you wish to get the longest of barrel life out of...!!!

If your definition of "versatile", is to have a rifle to use for an efficient & wide arrray of usable bullet weights for many different disciplines of shooting...dont buy a 204...!!

My main load is very mild...but it does everything non-native with 32 grain'rs...
Foxes out past 300--hit em in the chest & thats it--see em vanish in the scope & wait for the audible 'thud'...drive out there & they are laying down exactly where you hit em...

Its dynamite on roos with 40 gr bullets too...

Here's an old post of mine showcasing the 204 & my first 300 plus yd bunny's...
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=10570

I doubt ill be without one on the passenger seat...well maybe for the odd change...but this Stix wont head for the sticks without one in his car...!!... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 12 Oct 2019, 6:44 am

Under good conditions the 204 is an inherently accurate cartridge. But when you’re fighting the wind, the 204 can be a a bit all over the place.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by xDom » 12 Oct 2019, 8:18 am

Bruiser64 wrote:I have a 204, which I love. I agree with Bladeracer that your .223 is more versatile. If your .223 will shoot a 40 grain pill, it would be very close to the 204 in performance in my view. Having said that, as you live in Victoria you probably wouldn’t have a hassle licensing the .204 and the .223. If I thought I could licence both, I would.

I've got the 1:12 twist, that's good for the lighter rounds? Can you get factory 40gr .223? I might give that a go.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2019, 8:42 am

xDom wrote:

I've got the 1:12 twist, that's good for the lighter rounds? Can you get factory 40gr .223? I might give that a go.

12"-twist limits your bullet choices to about 60-70gn depending on bullet design.

Wouldn't have a clue about factory ammo.
Hornady list 35gn and 40gn loads, including the 35gn NTX which shoots great for me in handloads.
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/223-rem-35-gr-ntx-superformance#!/

Rebels list 43 .223Rem loads (only six .204 loads).
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collections/centrefire-ammo/caliber_223-rem
Including a Winchester 35gn load.
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collections/centrefire-ammo/products/winchester-super-x-223-remington-35-grain-ballistic-silvertip-lead-free-20pk
And the Hornady 40gn.
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collections/centrefire-ammo/products/hornady-varmint-express-ammunition-223-remington-40-grain-v-max20pk
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by xDom » 12 Oct 2019, 8:51 am

Thanks Blade, the 40gr aren't cheap, hey?!
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Oct 2019, 9:31 am

Im no ballistics expert...at all...!!
But i fail to see how you'd get a 40gr out of a 223 going at comparable velocities to that out of a 204...
Isnt the 204 basically an elongated 223 case...?

Ive tried 40's out of my 222...now admittedly those loads are down around the minimum adi data, but still, so are my mild 204 loads...
And let me tell ya--they are two very different beasts indeed, especially out in the paddock....

With all due respect to your arguement about trajectory Blade...using them in a paddock is a very different thing than target shooting...
Its not just about the trajectory...its also about the authority the bullet hits with if you're using it for hunting/feral busting.
If that authority/energy wasnt a factor in hunting, no one would use 30-06's or magnums for larger animals--they'd just all be shooting 308's...

As for the wind drift arguement with a 223 shooting 50 or 55's...to my mind the added velocity from the 204 counteracts a good bit of the wind...!!

The 32's out of mine are hard to shoot with in decent wind or in gusty conditions, but move up to the 40's & its way more predictable than my 222 in the same wind.

The 204 is a disease that many recreational spotlighters are susceptable to... once you've used one on a few occasions, your ammune system grows weak & resistance is just denial... :lol:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2019, 9:36 am

SCJ429 wrote:Yes I have a 223, and I shoot it heaps. Yes it shoots 80s very well but I don't hunt with them. I use 50 grainers which work quite well but it is nothing like a 40 grain bullet out of a 204. What is the wind drift difference between a 40 grain 204 compared to a 223 shooting a 50 or even a 70 grain bullet?

Like I said before, shoot the 223 because you are sensible. Shoot the 204 because it turns things inside out and it has awesome ballistics.

A lot of US hunters have found the ELDM to be a great hunting bullet but I haven't used it on foxes yet.

40gn .204" VMax has BC of .275, 40gn .224" VMax has BC of .200. 55gn VMax is .255, 60gn HP is .271, 80gn ELDM is .485.

The .204 40gn at 3900fps drifts 70mm at 300m and 130mm at 500m in a 10mph crosswind.
The .223 40gn at 3800fps drifts 110mm at 300m and 215mm at 500m.
55gn VMax at 3250fps drifts 95mm at 300m and 195mm at 500m.
80gn ELDM at 2800fps drifts 58mm at 300m and 105mm at 500m.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2019, 9:37 am

xDom wrote:Thanks Blade, the 40gr aren't cheap, hey?!

The bullets are, the ammo seems not :-)
Probably still cheaper than .204 ammo though?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2019, 9:57 am

Stix wrote:Im no ballistics expert...at all...!!
But i fail to see how you'd get a 40gr out of a 223 going at comparable velocities to that out of a 204...
Isnt the 204 basically an elongated 223 case...?

Ive tried 40's out of my 222...now admittedly those loads are down around the minimum adi data, but still, so are my mild 204 loads...
And let me tell ya--they are two very different beasts indeed, especially out in the paddock....

With all due respect to your arguement about trajectory Blade...using them in a paddock is a very different thing than target shooting...
Its not just about the trajectory...its also about the authority the bullet hits with if you're using it for hunting/feral busting.
If that authority/energy wasnt a factor in hunting, no one would use 30-06's or magnums for larger animals--they'd just all be shooting 308's...

As for the wind drift arguement with a 223 shooting 50 or 55's...to my mind the added velocity from the 204 counteracts a good bit of the wind...!!

The 32's out of mine are hard to shoot with in decent wind or in gusty conditions, but move up to the 40's & its way more predictable than my 222 in the same wind.

The 204 is a disease that many recreational spotlighters are susceptable to... once you've used one on a few occasions, your ammune system grows weak & resistance is just denial... :lol:

I used to think velocity was king as well, I knew spotlighters with a .17Rem when I was a kid, that's why I wanted the .204. It soon showed me that velocity is fun, but not that important :-)

The base area of the larger-diameter bullet (about 25% more area) probably helps to get velocity out of it. I shoot the 32gn .204 Z/VMax and 35gn .223 NTX at similar velocities. I haven't managed to get the .223Rem anywhere near the 4400fps I see from the .204 with the 24gn NTX, but I do want to try paper-patching the 24gn in the .223Rem :-)

Trajectory really is irrelevant if you can accurately range your targets, either by eye or by laser, whether in the field or on a range. A flatter trajectory just allows you to estimate range less accurately.
I agree about hitting a live target hard, that's why the .223Rem with heavier bullets is often a better choice. The .204 doesn't hit hard, it blows up on impact - very different. By about 600m the 40gn .204 bullet has become an FMJ as the .204 bleeds velocity rapidly.

Yep, the .204 is the bees knees for spotlighting, like the .17Rem in the old days, for hunting though there are better choices. Every fox, cat and rabbit I ever took was in daylight, never over a light. Out to about 300m on critters up to fox-size, the .204 is a bloody good fun choice. It can certainly be made to work effectively at longer ranges and against larger targets, but there are other chamberings that do it better. .204 chamberings have gained a large following so I hope we start seeing tighter twist-rates and heavier bullets. I have 45gn and 55gn .204 bullets, but they don't work in the usual 12"-twist .204" barrels.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by xDom » 12 Oct 2019, 10:00 am

I’ve only ever used the 55gr Sierra Blitzkings. It’s what the shop owner recommended.
Are they the most popular “ default “ round for the 223? I can get them for under a buck a round.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2019, 10:16 am

xDom wrote:I’ve only ever used the 55gr Sierra Blitzkings. It’s what the shop owner recommended.
Are they the most popular “ default “ round for the 223? I can get them for under a buck a round.

Probably 90% of .223Rem factory ammo will have 55gn bullets.
Nothing wrong with the Blitzkings, they've been a terrific varminting bullet for decades, I've used them in .204 and other calibers.
If they shoot well in your rifle I'd stick with them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 12 Oct 2019, 10:39 am

xDom wrote:I’ve only ever used the 55gr Sierra Blitzkings. It’s what the shop owner recommended.

What can you get 204 Ruger ammo for ? The cheapest factory ammo I can get is probably the Sellior and Bellot at around $24-26 per 20. So over a buck a shot. If you reload the gap tightens. The 204 only uses a few grains more powder and the projectiles similar ( I have a few thousand of the 32 Z-max before they were discontinued) otherwise it heaps easier to find cheap 22cal projectiles. 20 cal not as common. Therefore not as cheap.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Oct 2019, 1:57 pm

Cooper wrote:

What can you get 204 Ruger ammo for ? The cheapest factory ammo I can get is probably the Sellior and Bellot at around $24-26 per 20. So over a buck a shot. If you reload the gap tightens. The 204 only uses a few grains more powder and the projectiles similar ( I have a few thousand of the 32 Z-max before they were discontinued) otherwise it heaps easier to find cheap 22cal projectiles. 20 cal not as common. Therefore not as cheap.

Wana sell a couple of boxes...?... :) :unknown:

(If ya dont ask...---...) :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by xDom » 12 Oct 2019, 2:16 pm

You would’ve been pretty happy with that 300 yard bunny shot, hey Stix?
This is what I wanna get into on my next trip out to the farm. Set myself up looking over a burrow.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Oct 2019, 3:06 pm

xDom wrote:You would’ve been pretty happy with that 300 yard bunny shot, hey Stix?
This is what I wanna get into on my next trip out to the farm. Set myself up looking over a burrow.

Mate i did a little dance with the biggest grin when i saw the last one go down to what looked like a head shot at 351 yds... :D :lol:

I think you are better off doing that kind of thing with a fast 22 cal shooting a 50 or 55 bullet for the wind sake...BUT, using 40's in the 204 will get definitely you there...i just dont think you'll be getting the same ranges as Elmer & his 250 with a 20 cal 40gr bullet....but its something i intend to work up to...!!

Having said that, ive just bought another 204 for that very purpose...im more confident with a 20 cal 40gr at those velocities than a 223...!!...
But again, im not into the ballistics like other guru's on here like Blade & Marksman & SCJ etc...i just go by the seat of my pants & the feel of the wind & look of the grass--thats all ive ever done...its just a different set of maths... :lol:

The only reason i can conceive that you would be unhappy with a 204 for bunnys at those (and any closer) ranges, is if you got a dud rifle...

Go buy one if youve the coin...!!

I just spoke with my ol'man & he's just been to a property (my main fox n bunny haunt) over in the mallee & he said there is a warren there that must have 80 burrows & is infested with young bunnys...
Im absolutely chomping at the bit to get out there & go wholesale kentucky fried rabbiting...!!......!!!... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 12 Oct 2019, 3:25 pm

Heres that bunny...351 yds

2018-09-11 15.41.15.jpg
350 yds
2018-09-11 15.41.15.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 4219 times

2018-11-03 12.17.18.jpg
2018-11-03 12.17.18.jpg (345.88 KiB) Viewed 4219 times

Hell my 204 even takes down mountain...err...sorry...mallee lions... :lol:
2018-06-14 20.13.04.jpg
Mallee Lion
2018-06-14 20.13.04.jpg (477.55 KiB) Viewed 4219 times

The cartridge is a 204 approx OAL 60mm long
2019-10-04 20.10.33.jpg
2019-10-04 20.10.33.jpg (272.14 KiB) Viewed 4219 times

Even tskes fallow with 32 grainers...!!!...whats not to like... :lol:
2019-07-10 22.13.38.jpg
Wee Fallow brother & sister
2019-07-10 22.13.38.jpg (443.52 KiB) Viewed 4219 times

Only 120-130 yds...but still--pretty emphatic for a very mild loaded 32gr Zmax... :D
Sorry for the guts...but here is the exit wound from above pic
Just saw that pic on the big screen PC...thought i should take it down... :unknown:
Last edited by Stix on 12 Oct 2019, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Oct 2019, 5:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:

A lot of US hunters have found the ELDM to be a great hunting bullet but I haven't used it on foxes yet.

40gn .204" VMax has BC of .275, 40gn .224" VMax has BC of .200. 55gn VMax is .255, 60gn HP is .271, 80gn ELDM is .485.

The .204 40gn at 3900fps drifts 70mm at 300m and 130mm at 500m in a 10mph crosswind.

Thanks for the data Blade. I was thinking that you would need a fairly heavy pill to beat the ballistics of a 40 grain 204 projectile. To 300 metres which is about the limit of what I would try to shoot a fox the 204 will shoot comfortably inside the 223 if you were using 70 grain or lighter projectiles. For hunting the 223 is not really the platform for shooting heavy 80 grain projectiles.

The OP has a 1:12 twist and that should shoot 50 or 55 grain projectiles extremely well. I am sure that if he bought a 204 he would enjoy the change that this excellent little case brings to the table.

Nice ginger Tom you have there Stix. Did you keep the pelt?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2019, 7:20 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:

Thanks for the data Blade. I was thinking that you would need a fairly heavy pill to beat the ballistics of a 40 grain 204 projectile. To 300 metres which is about the limit of what I would try to shoot a fox the 204 will shoot comfortably inside the 223 if you were using 70 grain or lighter projectiles. For hunting the 223 is not really the platform for shooting heavy 80 grain projectiles.

The OP has a 1:12 twist and that should shoot 50 or 55 grain projectiles extremely well. I am sure that if he bought a 204 he would enjoy the change that this excellent little case brings to the table.

Nice ginger Tom you have there Stix. Did you keep the pelt?

You do need a lot more .224" mass to beat the 40gn .204, but that greater mass also gives you the option of larger targets, greater versatility.

I wouldn't talk anybody out of owning a .204, but not if they're swapping something more useful for it. Get .204 and .223 and enjoy them both.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Oct 2019, 7:49 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Nice ginger Tom you have there Stix. Did you keep the pelt?

Coitnly did...!!... :D
I did a post on it somewhere...but here...seeing how you insist...ill give in & show a little more self indulgence.. :D ( :lol: )....here's a few more pics.....
2018-06-14 20.11.31.jpg
2018-06-14 20.11.31.jpg (569.31 KiB) Viewed 4200 times

2018-06-14 20.15.56.jpg
2018-06-14 20.15.56.jpg (476.41 KiB) Viewed 4200 times

2018-06-14 20.33.22.jpg
2018-06-14 20.33.22.jpg (464.97 KiB) Viewed 4200 times

2018-06-14 20.38.34.jpg
2018-06-14 20.38.34.jpg (428.49 KiB) Viewed 4200 times

2018-06-14 20.21.51.jpg
2018-06-14 20.21.51.jpg (408.8 KiB) Viewed 4200 times

2018-08-19 22.55.35.jpg
2018-08-19 22.55.35.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 4200 times

Here he is next to a mature Vixen...& his pelt is very thick & has shrunk quite a bit...
2018-08-19 22.58.10.jpg
2018-08-19 22.58.10.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 4200 times

2018-08-23 22.49.22.jpg
2018-08-23 22.49.22.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 4200 times

2018-08-23 22.52.52.jpg
2018-08-23 22.52.52.jpg (868.05 KiB) Viewed 4200 times

It is a really nice pelt SCJ...everyone that sees it cant help but touch it, & they all fall in love with it...
Its so soft...!!
Although i have only 2 real nice fox pelts--& i love fox pelts-- & a fantastic goat along with those 2 small Fallow that have turned out so well they're so close to manufactured suede, that cat is my prize trophy to date...!!!
Although i had a little fur slip on his ears--but i was just past virginity to skinning & tanning when i popped him...
:)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 12 Oct 2019, 8:17 pm

Well done Stix :clap:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles