ZERO TECH vs Meopta Meopro ????

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

ZERO TECH vs Meopta Meopro ????

Post by WookyMysta » 08 Oct 2019, 5:22 pm

Hi Guys n gals,

Cant decide between Meopta Meopro 6-18x50 zplex or ZERO TECH TRACE 4.5-27X50 30MM R3 MOA.

Going to fit my new Lithgow la102 in .308 . Buy once, cry once......

I would prefer something with holdover and widage graduations, as my 50yr old eye balls aint what they use to be.

Essentially it will be used as a hunting rifle out to 300 m, with the option of long range for pigs, bugs bunny, and foxes

. Annnd.. blasting the s**t out of watermelons at long range, just for the fun of it. hehehehehehehe

Pros and cons for each scope is valuable info to me. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the cost, but honest real world performance.

Quality and clarity of the optics in low light conditions and at full zoom is most important.

Will not waste $$$ on other expensive brand name scopes.

Would rather invest the savings into ammo to find out what my noisy bang stick likes.

I prefer, respect , and appreciate your honest opinions of these 2 options.

Thanks ,

Wooky Mysta.
WookyMysta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: ZERO TECH vs Meopta Meopro ????

Post by solarpak » 08 Oct 2019, 7:25 pm

The Meopta Meopro 6-18 is one mighty fine scope for the coin ...and now that Meopta have introduced the Optika which is a Meopro with a 6x mag range you may do well looking into that range also.

The Meopro is the best glass under the $1000 price point by a long shot ............

The Zero Tech Trace i dont know a lot about so any comments on them would be well appreciated.

C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 08 Oct 2019, 7:26 pm

The Meopta has a good reputation, and each time I see one tested it is noted that they are well priced compared to competitors. I have two Meostar R2's and they are excellent, comparing with Swarovski Z and Zeeiss Victory.

I have never heard of Zero Tech scopes.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 08 Oct 2019, 8:27 pm

Mate I am running a Meopta Meopro 6-18x50 BDC on my Creedmoor. Have absolutely no complaints about it whatsoever. In my opinion it is great value for money. Unfortunately I don’t know anything about your other option mate, so can’t offer anything of use in that regard.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 09 Oct 2019, 7:44 am

It would appear that the Zero Tech is a China made import by Tasco.
The specs look impressive but is it really a $1000 scope?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Oct 2019, 8:57 am

Perhaps Wookie should check out the Vision King Chinese scopes recommended by Dutch. A 8.5 - 25 power scope for under $300 may be just the ticket.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Visionking- ... SwHHFY8ynE
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 09 Oct 2019, 9:13 am

When you start talking about $1000 scopes there are some really quality scopes that you can get second hand. The Bushnell 6500 Tactical elite 6-25 are about $750 a really good scope and The Nightforce Benchrest scopes 8-32 or 12-42 can be had for $1000 they have lifetime warranties transferable not that you are ever likely to need it these things track perfectly and they do so for years on end. You really can trust these they get used by target shooters all over the world who are adjusting the elevation and windage just constantly.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Oct 2019, 5:12 pm

I'll have a Nightforce BR for a grand if you are selling one.......
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 09 Oct 2019, 6:08 pm

straightshooter wrote:It would appear that the Zero Tech is a China made import by Tasco.
The specs look impressive but is it really a $1000 scope?

Yeap the Zerotech stuff looks to be rebadged Bushnell Forge Scopes, where will Zerotech be in 5 years when you make a warranty claim ?
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Oct 2019, 7:28 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I'll have a Nightforce BR for a grand if you are selling one.......

Used guns right now - 12-42/56 asking 1200 ono with Leo rings
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by solarpak » 09 Oct 2019, 8:41 pm

If a scope manufacturer offers a decent warranty .....irrespective where they are made.....then its wise to go with these makes.
Burris offers one of the best warranties in the biz ...but most-if not all, or there scopes are made in the Phillipines.
Some high end Euro scopes dont even match that sort of warranty - fortunately here in Oz many importers do stipulate that scopes they carry do have a lifetime warranty of some description.

Go with a scope that has a solid dealer / importer back up just in case anything goes amiss....
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bman940 » 11 Oct 2019, 12:10 am

I have been using the Meopta MeoPro 6-18x50 for 6 months now and there is nothing I do not like about the scope. The clarity and light transmission are amazing. I will be deer hunting with mine this fall in the states. For the $ I feel like you get a lot of value from Meopta. I recently picked up a 3-18x56 Optika6 scope from Meopta. 30mm tube, MRAd reticle, clear and even better in low light than the MeoPRo, no doubt the 56mm obj is the reason for that.

https://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd ... 0%202.jpeg
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Oct 2019, 6:24 pm

I personally wouldn't be putting High Mag scopes on a hunting rifle, I'd rather a 3-9 type thing, high mags good in theory but a PITA in reality where quick shots are often the norm and high mag is a PITA when it comes to shooting off hand and even off a steady rest out in the field as you see way too much movement when she's wound up makes life harder not easier IMHO and side parallax is another thing that's not needed in a hunting outfit where most shots are under 100m anyway in reality (occasionally you get a 200 plus shot but reality is most are a lot closer so high mag is a waste of time and money, buy better glass in a low mag range would be my advice, :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GQshayne » 11 Oct 2019, 7:17 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I personally wouldn't be putting High Mag scopes on a hunting rifle, I'd rather a 3-9 type thing, high mags good in theory but a PITA in reality where quick shots are often the norm and high mag is a PITA when it comes to shooting off hand and even off a steady rest out in the field as you see way too much movement when she's wound up makes life harder not easier IMHO and side parallax is another thing that's not needed in a hunting outfit where most shots are under 100m anyway in reality (occasionally you get a 200 plus shot but reality is most are a lot closer so high mag is a waste of time and money, buy better glass in a low mag range would be my advice, :drinks:

I agree. Compromise for me is a 2-12 Meopta I have on a .243. Best of both worlds to a point, with size and weight being higher than a 2-7 etc. I can only use about 5 power without a rest of some sort, so for a walkabout rifle lower magnification is a good choice, field of view being much better too. My pig hunting rifle has a 1-6 on it.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Oct 2019, 5:18 am

GQshayne wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I personally wouldn't be putting High Mag scopes on a hunting rifle, I'd rather a 3-9 type thing, high mags good in theory but a PITA in reality where quick shots are often the norm and high mag is a PITA when it comes to shooting off hand and even off a steady rest out in the field as you see way too much movement when she's wound up makes life harder not easier IMHO and side parallax is another thing that's not needed in a hunting outfit where most shots are under 100m anyway in reality (occasionally you get a 200 plus shot but reality is most are a lot closer so high mag is a waste of time and money, buy better glass in a low mag range would be my advice, :drinks:

I agree. Compromise for me is a 2-12 Meopta I have on a .243. Best of both worlds to a point, with size and weight being higher than a 2-7 etc. I can only use about 5 power without a rest of some sort, so for a walkabout rifle lower magnification is a good choice, field of view being much better too. My pig hunting rifle has a 1-6 on it.

You get it - high magnification is useless on a walkabout hunting setup, great for range use where you can take your time, get a nice steady rest and breathing control etc etc but for real world hunting f***ing useless, much better to use something with lower mag range, no side focus etc etc KISS is all that needed when it comes to hunting outfits! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GQshayne » 12 Oct 2019, 7:35 pm

I have a Hyperpod fitted to the .243, so I can use some of the higher magnifications with that, or if I have a rest.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Oct 2019, 7:53 pm

GQshayne wrote:I have a Hyperpod fitted to the .243, so I can use some of the higher magnifications with that, or if I have a rest.

Have you used it in a hunting situation?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GQshayne » 12 Oct 2019, 7:57 pm

Yes, but targets (wild dogs) did not appear much to my dismay!!! LOL

I think its use will be mainly for when you have a "hide" without a handy log to rest on. I am not sure of how handy it would be walking around. But it is an option that can be added or removed in seconds, so it has its purpose.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Oct 2019, 8:10 pm

GQshayne wrote:Yes, but targets (wild dogs) did not appear much to my dismay!!! LOL

I think its use will be mainly for when you have a "hide" without a handy log to rest on. I am not sure of how handy it would be walking around. But it is an option that can be added or removed in seconds, so it has its purpose.

Yeah I find high mag a bit limiting with it's narrow FOV and the movement seen through the scope was off putting for me (using a bipod) I found I could actually shoot better with my 3-9 (less obvious movement and field of view was good too) compared to the 6.5-20 zeiss. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Am88 » 14 Oct 2019, 2:29 pm

No experience with Zero Tech but once again a good vote for the Meopta, I bought one with the fine Z Plex and it's been great, had it on my .222 for about 3 years now for Roo culling, good light transmission, for cull work I generally run it at 8 or 10 power all the time but for longer range daytime stuff its good to have it to crank the power up. Am building a new rifle now for longer range roos so have just put a Shmidt and Bender 8x56 Klassik on my .222, and transferred the Meopta to my .25-06 which I'm hoping to use for longer range wild dogs. For the price as they are on sale alot at the moment they are brilliant if you ask me.

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 14 Oct 2019, 8:20 pm

The new Meopta Optika (6x mag range) will be on par with the Meopro line - and will be a instant hit when they become available soon.

Hope to have a play with them in the weekend at SHOT in melbourne!!
C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bill » 14 Oct 2019, 9:26 pm

yeah Im keen to take a look at the optik6 range, I do wonder if its a case of more features/new packaging or an improvement in glass.....

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bristles1 » 10 Jan 2020, 10:34 am

No contest Meopta all day
Bristles1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 10 Jan 2020, 11:38 pm

100% agree with this and Meopta all the way.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mikejay » 15 Jan 2020, 10:55 pm

ZeroTech is actually a new AU specific release of TASCO. There is no Australian registered company called ZeroTech, instead the name and domain belong to;

Registrant Contact Name: Chris Watkins
Registrant Contact Email: chris@tasco.com.au
Tech Contact Name: Chris Watkins
Tech Contact Email: chris@tasco.com.au
Registrant: TASCO SALES (AUST) PTY LTD
Registrant ID: ABN 54000502910
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 16 Jan 2020, 8:40 am

thanks mikejay, so just a offshoot of Tasco and an attempt reinvigorate Tasco/bushnells premium range

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 16 Jan 2020, 10:23 am

Bill wrote:thanks mikejay, so just a offshoot of Tasco and an attempt reinvigorate Tasco/bushnells premium range

It does appear that way.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Jan 2020, 10:25 am

mikejay wrote:ZeroTech is actually a new AU specific release of TASCO. There is no Australian registered company called ZeroTech, instead the name and domain belong to;

Registrant Contact Name: Chris Watkins
Registrant Contact Email: chris@tasco.com.au
Tech Contact Name: Chris Watkins
Tech Contact Email: chris@tasco.com.au
Registrant: TASCO SALES (AUST) PTY LTD
Registrant ID: ABN 54000502910

Nice research skills there.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 17 Jan 2020, 4:34 pm

If Zero Tech could make scopes to match or exceed the old Japanese Tasco's ie World Class, World Class Plus, Euro , Titan then they would be well worth a look .

C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 17 Jan 2020, 7:31 pm

solarpak wrote:If Zero Tech could make scopes to match or exceed the old Japanese Tasco's ie World Class, World Class Plus, Euro , Titan then they would be well worth a look .

C

My thoughts were the same too Con. We have a couple of those old World Class scopes, bought in the 80's, and still working well. Given the Zero Tech price point, my suspicion is that they are a little more at the budget end then the old Tasco's were.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics