How is recoil calculated

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

How is recoil calculated

Post by Blr243 » 10 Oct 2019, 1:59 pm

Reading the recoil comparison thread got me thinking about this. If I were to compare a 308 with a certain projectile and speed against a 243 and I were to arrive at muzzle energy figures does that help me make recoil comparisons I mean , if the 243 has 2135 foot ponds of energy and the 308 has 2648 foot pounds of energy and if the former has 24 per cent less energy than the latter, does that mean that it’s also 24 per cent less recoil ? (Not counting action type/ stock design / rifle weight / recoil pad etc.) is that how it works or do u reckon recoil comparison is more complicated?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: How is recoil calculated

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Oct 2019, 2:54 pm

This is one way recoil can be calibrated...a sled with weights.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_bbIxLhALws
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 10 Oct 2019, 3:10 pm

@Blr243 yes to answer your question. Each force has an equal and opposing force so not taking into account the weight of the rifle and the friction of the rifle if any the rest has to be dissipated into the shooter.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Wm.Traynor » 10 Oct 2019, 7:10 pm

Kinetic Energy is arrived at by the formula :-
KE=1/2 m(v squared)
Hmmm. I just fooled myself there and forgot that there is no way (I think) to show the velocity squared. In addition, I have forgotten my schoolboy, metric system, units of energy.
p.s. don't forget to consider the mass of the powder charge
p.s.s. I'm sure you can google it :oops:

I swear, it was easy when I was a kid :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Oct 2019, 7:34 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Kinetic Energy is arrived at by the formula :-
KE=1/2 m(v squared)
Hmmm. I just fooled myself there and forgot that there is no way (I think) to show the velocity squared. In addition, I have forgotten my schoolboy, metric system, units of energy.
p.s. don't forget to consider the mass of the powder charge
p.s.s. I'm sure you can google it :oops:

I swear, it was easy when I was a kid :)

We usually write KE = MV^2/2, to show squared it's ^2

Many others have already done recoil comparisons be easier to use internet to search for them. :sarcasm:
Attachments
Recoil.jpg
Recoil.jpg (64.7 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 10 Oct 2019, 8:43 pm

Thermal scopes are mounted back closer to the shooter. Sometimes when shooting prone position I get a bit of a smack in the head from the back of the scope but when I look at this chart baron just posted I see that my rifle kicks about half as much as a 270 or 308 so I got nothin to winge about I’ll just cop it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Oct 2019, 10:27 am

Thank you Baron. Learn something new every day day round here :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Oct 2019, 4:04 pm

Thanks men. I ended up finding a kinetic energy calculator on line. I just had to punch in the mass and velocity. And it gives me an answer in joules
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by xcb » 11 Oct 2019, 7:15 pm

xcb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Oct 2019, 9:30 pm

If you place the butt of the rifle against your testicles - I’ve found that the 308, hurts for 45 seconds, where the 30-06 doubles me for 2 minutes!! The 260, depends heavily on projectile weight and whether or not I’ve had sex the night previous, but generally speaking a 140gn 260 will hurt for 38 seconds.
So what have I learnt? Well clearly - The shoulder is a better place to shoot from, than the testicles...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 12 Oct 2019, 9:59 pm

TassieTiger wrote:If you place the butt of the rifle against your testicles - I’ve found that the 308, hurts for 45 seconds, where the 30-06 doubles me for 2 minutes!! The 260, depends heavily on projectile weight and whether or not I’ve had sex the night previous, but generally speaking a 140gn 260 will hurt for 38 seconds.
So what have I learnt? Well clearly - The shoulder is a better place to shoot from, than the testicles...

Well derrr...its a bit hard to see out of that eye mate... :?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Oct 2019, 10:07 am

TT. it’ takes a bit to make me laugh but I did get a bit of a giggle out of your recoil testing method when I awake this morning.... but for now I’ll pass and just keep useing my shoulder
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Oct 2019, 10:20 am

I reckon our big cal mate Brett calculates recoil by how many centimeters his eyeballs move out of his head during the shot.

The poor bloke probably can't rub his eyes without them falling out after all that big bore action.
images (3).jpeg
Eye eye captain
images (3).jpeg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 2421 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Oct 2019, 12:34 pm

This is a serious question. Do bloody great big kicking guns really move your eyeballs under recoil ? I ask because I once bought a massive jackhammer that almost requires two people to carry it and when I use it on a very solid piece of concrete I causes my body to vibrate so much that my vision is affected and I can feel my eyeballs bouncing around inside their sockets
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 13 Oct 2019, 12:44 pm

It is certainly possible for recoil to detach a retina. I have fired a few of the 50s and I could certainly imagine it is a very real possibility.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by cracker » 13 Oct 2019, 1:00 pm

Blr243 wrote:This is a serious question. Do bloody great big kicking guns really move your eyeballs under recoil ? I ask because I once bought a massive jackhammer that almost requires two people to carry it and when I use it on a very solid piece of concrete I causes my body to vibrate so much that my vision is affected and I can feel my eyeballs bouncing around inside their sockets

the concussion kinda hurts your head a bit... kinda like falling off a mountain bike/dirtbike ...after about 5-6 rounds of 505 gibbs in a row... id imagine most stuff around this size has this effect... 375h andh doesnt, nor does the 458 win mag or 458 lott.

think its just the amount of powder your burning
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles