45-70/90 Sharps like gun.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

45-70/90 Sharps like gun.

Post by RedRange » 08 Oct 2019, 12:44 pm

Gday all ,

Lately I have been looking at Sharps like falling block / high wall rifles in 45-70 and 45-90.
Original styled rifles , 30"+ barrels.
Standard build. Hunting rifle.

I have a few questions , will try to keep it simple and go easy on me I've been out of the game for 20yrs.

1. Brands. My budget won't stretch to a Shiloh Sharps rifle (as beautiful as they are...) , so I've been looking at Uberti , Armi , Pedersoli , Winchester.
Any others I should check out?
Any I should avoid ?

2. I've read bits n pieces about some Italian rifles having sloppy recievers /bores ex factory.
The info was fairly old , is this still an issue now?

3. Soft / breaking firing pins? lever/spring issues?
Triggers etc?

4. Is there a retailer in Oz that carries this type of rifle or are they a thing you order and wait for from overseas ?

5. 45-70 v 45-90.
I'd like a 45-90 (had a couple 45-70s in the past).
I cant find ballistic comparison tables , or load data in concise form. Can anyone suggest where , or even a book etc?

Thanks in advance for any replies ,
RedRange
RedRange
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 45-70/90 Sharps like gun.

Post by gunnnie » 08 Oct 2019, 9:36 pm

Hey mate, welcome back to the fold.
You're talking of fine rifles here. I'm planning on going down a similar path in the near future.
One gent you shoild contact, is a frequenter here. Goes by the handle of Bad Assed Wallace. Top bloke, master of the projectile casting arts & man of knowledge regards the Sharps, Pedersoli style single shots in the big bores, amongst other fine examples of the old firearm realms.
Look him up in the memers listing & send him a pm. It will be well worth your time to do so.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RedRange » 09 Oct 2019, 4:05 am

Thanks gunnie.
RedRange
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 09 Oct 2019, 5:28 am

There are a fair few blokes on here that I reckon will have alot of knowledge on this. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking at videos and write ups lately, as a bloke I shoot with bought a pedersoli sharps 1874 45-110 to the range the other day and now I'm thinking bloody hell I need one! My thoughts are go a 45-90 or bigger purely because so many modern rifles are chambered in 45-70, I think go for a caliber that stands out since the rifle well and truely stands out. Plus I already have an 1886 lever in 45-70.
Search sharps on the ssaa gunsales websites and there are a few for sale
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Oct 2019, 8:23 am

Can you get one in 45/120? That is a cool looking case.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 09 Oct 2019, 8:42 am

https://youtu.be/WpJz_m14zZE

Hopefully that link works. Have you looked at hickok45's videos? He has some bloody good ones.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 09 Oct 2019, 12:31 pm

First comes the vague interest in an oldy timey rifle that becomes an itch that becomes a dire need that leads to putting money in the counter and you think the itch is scratched. Soon there’s an an interest in loading black that leads to casting your own bullets and making your own bullet lube and you think the itch is scratched. Soon you start thinking of phrases like Rolling block and muzzle loader and round ball and, well, by then there’s no climbing out of the hole!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 09 Oct 2019, 3:58 pm

Good point Noisydad.
There's a few of us who suffer a similar malaise.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RedRange » 09 Oct 2019, 6:37 pm

Thanks for the replies folks.
I had a sharps 45-70 carbine and a single shot 45.70 in the 80s when i lived out Cobar in the 80s.
Now I'm out bush again , surrounded by feral pigs ..
Got my eye on a couple, but yet to find srock in Oz.
RedRange
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RedRange » 09 Oct 2019, 6:38 pm

Stock
RedRange
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RedRange » 09 Oct 2019, 6:48 pm

Gunnie , where is the 'member list ' ?
RedRange
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 11 Oct 2019, 6:16 am

Noisydad what are your thoughts as far as brands go when it comes to sharps rifles?
Armi vs pedersoli for example?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 11 Oct 2019, 6:34 am

RedRange wrote:Gday all ,

Lately I have been looking at Sharps like falling block / high wall rifles in 45-70 and 45-90.

I have a few questions , will try to keep it simple and go easy on me I've been out of the game for 20yrs.

1. Brands. My budget won't stretch to a Shiloh Sharps rifle (as beautiful as they are...) , so I've been looking at Uberti , Armi , Pedersoli , Winchester.
Any I should avoid ?

2. I've read bits n pieces about some Italian rifles having sloppy recievers /bores ex factory.

Triggers etc?

4. Is there a retailer in Oz that carries this type of rifle or are they a thing you order and wait for from overseas ?

5. 45-70 v 45-90.
I cant find ballistic comparison tables , or load data in concise form. Can anyone suggest where , or even a book etc?

RedRange

Think about a Rolling Block. Less moving parts and simple to clean. Used along side the Sharps in Buffalo days and Custer had one. I have been using them for years.
As a matter of fact I have a 45-90 with cases and bullet mould I might be talked into selling
I cant handle the recoil any more so going smaller to 40 cal.
I can post up a photo if the mods dont mind.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 11 Oct 2019, 9:15 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Noisydad what are your thoughts as far as brands go when it comes to sharps rifles?
Armi vs pedersoli for example?

Pedersoli are without doubt good gear and I wouldn’t hesitate to own another. There would be very few members of the Seymour BP Club that don’t own at least one.
Re Perentie’s rolling block idea - I’ll second that motion. Rollers are beautifully simple to use though their stocks are sometimes made for barrel sights which makes them a bit low for tang mounted vernier sights but there are ways around that too.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 11 Oct 2019, 8:56 pm

RedRange wrote:Gunnie , where is the 'member list ' ?

Sorry mate, just had a look myself & be buggered if I can find one. :unknown: To be honest I had taken it for granted that there was one. :thumbsdown:

Seems BAW isn't on this forum. He's on another Aussie gun forum, regular poster. Suggest you track him down there.

When I expressed an interest in the Sharps/Pedersoli rifles, BAW happily made time to explain finer points, options & cartridges. If I was to shoot longrange with any serious intent, then a 45-90 was the minimum. The longer case would allow for more black powder to drive big 500+gn lead projo's. Even better if you went to the 45-110!

I'm looking to get a 45-70 as I already have dies & moulds. Plus the big kickers, whilst fun to shoot at first, do wear you down.

I'm also seriously thinking that a Pedersoli Hi-Wall in 38-55 would be a good partner gun for the 45-70.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 12 Oct 2019, 6:10 am

A lot of top shooters use the 45-70 back to 1000 yards. Others use the 45-90 . Very few use anything bigger for serious target work, maybe just for fun as they are harder to get to shoot. Google the" Shiloh sharps forum" join up as lots of newbies on there. All you want to know about black powder shooting and loading the Sharps.
Gamerancher on there is an Aussie and I think he is on this forum as well. Very experienced competition shooter.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 13 Oct 2019, 11:45 am

How does the rolling block action compare as far as strength goes?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 13 Oct 2019, 3:59 pm

I only shoot blackpowder in my originals and the Navy Arms modern repro
I imagine all the modern repros are OK for smokeless.
I have not seen anything to say they are any stronger or weaker than say a Sharps but they are stronger than a Trapdoor Springfield
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RedRange » 16 Oct 2019, 9:50 pm

Noisydad wrote:First comes the vague interest in an oldy timey rifle that becomes an itch that becomes a dire need that leads to putting money in the counter and you think the itch is scratched. Soon there’s an an interest in loading black that leads to casting your own bullets and making your own bullet lube and you think the itch is scratched. Soon you start thinking of phrases like Rolling block and muzzle loader and round ball and, well, by then there’s no climbing out of the hole!

I hear you load n clear Noisy
Ive nearly gone blind checking out so much stuff on line ha!
RedRange
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RedRange » 16 Oct 2019, 9:54 pm

perentie wrote:
RedRange wrote:Gday all ,

Any I should avoid ?

Triggers etc?

5. 45-70 v 45-90.

RedRange

Think about a Rolling Block. Less moving parts and simple to clean. Used along side the Sharps in Buffalo days and Custer had one. I have been using them for years.
As a matter of fact I have a 45-90 with cases and bullet mould I might be talked into selling
I cant handle the recoil any more so going smaller to 40 cal.
I can post up a photo if the mods dont mind.

Ive checked out some rolling blocks Perentie , and they all look good , but got my heart n head on a high wall or sharps gun. :thumbsup:
RedRange
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by N.Field » 17 Oct 2019, 11:56 am

N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 17 Oct 2019, 3:20 pm

There’s something special about a single shot, falling block rifle for sure! A roller can be second on the (long) list of single shot shootin irons lol
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by RedRange » 17 Oct 2019, 6:16 pm

Spied and duly noted Nfield. Thanks.
Woukd be good to talk to someone/ anyone who owns n shoots these rifles.
If anyone out there could spare a quick chat would be much appreciated.
PM me etc.
RedRange.
RedRange
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles