Bedding material/options

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Bedding material/options

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Oct 2019, 11:23 pm

Anyone had any experience using a "Devcon" putty for bedding rifles ?

Also what do you use ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Bedding material/options

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Oct 2019, 11:30 pm

Have used fosters bedding from NZ good stuff and a good kit. I have also used jb weld on a howa 308 both achieved the desired results. I was going to use devcon but had no luck finding any. Even through Blackwoods
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Oct 2019, 6:28 am

I used Nathan Fosters bedding compound too.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 16 Oct 2019, 7:14 am

Yeah I used devcon and it worked great
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 16 Oct 2019, 12:55 pm

devcon has the consistency of peanut butter and can be a bit harder to use if you put too much in and need to squeeze some out
it gets runny when mixing and it is a good idea to heat/warm the action slightly before setting into the mix as a cold action will make the devcon go stiff
when it drys devcon is very hard and brittle, when breaking the job apart the sharp edges left can break off, it is a good idea to round edges with playdoh if you can, devcon is my favourite for bedding although I will occasionally use JB weld that is runny

another thing is that devcon has a shelf date for a reason :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Oct 2019, 4:22 pm

brownells acraglass gel for me . i've done four of my own rifles and a 7.62x39 zastava for a mate . i've heard the acraglass original can be runny and harder to work with . nathan foster's compound works well fellas ? i love his website as a information gold mine . it's up there with chuck hawks as a reference source, but nathan's bullet autopsies and in depth info on handloading are great
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 16 Oct 2019, 7:31 pm

I have used two part epoxies twice now, first one was called Cold Steel I think, or something similar, but last purchase they had JB Weld on the shelf instead. Both the same anyway I reckon.

JB will flow rather than stick in a blob, so that has pro's and cons I suppose. Good to get it into corners. I used a putty to make retaining pieces to get it to stay where I wanted, such as the first part of the barrel, and around the recoil lug. Plumbers putty gets mentioned as being good for this. I did not have any so I used Blu Tac! I Also used it to fill in gaps in the trigger assembly etc to make sure I did not get epoxy where it was unwanted.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Oct 2019, 7:54 pm

I hear hay makes a good bedding material...
p18515nsil.jpg
p18515nsil.jpg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 5963 times

depositphotos_12016769-stock-photo-woman-lying-on-haystack.jpg
depositphotos_12016769-stock-photo-woman-lying-on-haystack.jpg (277.45 KiB) Viewed 5963 times

Huh...?...

What... :shock:

Oh...!!

I thought when you said heated action in the bedding...___...___.. :?
8-)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 16 Oct 2019, 9:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: god bless you stix :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Oct 2019, 9:27 pm

GQshayne wrote:I have used two part epoxies twice now, first one was called Cold Steel I think, or something similar, but last purchase they had JB Weld on the shelf instead. Both the same anyway I reckon.

JB will flow rather than stick in a blob, so that has pro's and cons I suppose. Good to get it into corners. I used a putty to make retaining pieces to get it to stay where I wanted, such as the first part of the barrel, and around the recoil lug. Plumbers putty gets mentioned as being good for this. I did not have any so I used Blu Tac! I Also used it to fill in gaps in the trigger assembly etc to make sure I did not get epoxy where it was unwanted.

i wouldn't advise using blu-tac , i used it on my last job and it's a bugger to clean up. kids plasticine is what i'll try next time :)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Oct 2019, 1:33 pm

What bigrich said :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 17 Oct 2019, 7:37 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:What bigrich said :D

Yes, the Blu Tac is tedious to remove. You need to be patient. I did not have any options handy other than the "Blue Menace", so it got a second run. I have never used plumbers putty, so that may be the best option, but not sure.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Oct 2019, 8:09 am

Thanks Fellas, much appreciated.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Oct 2019, 9:13 am

GQshayne wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:What bigrich said :D

Yes, the Blu Tac is tedious to remove. You need to be patient. I did not have any options handy other than the "Blue Menace", so it got a second run. I have never used plumbers putty, so that may be the best option, but not sure.

On the up side, blue tac stays where ya put it , if plasticine fell off as I was assembling and my action was welded to my stock I wouldn’t be happy
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 18 Oct 2019, 10:13 am

SCJ429 wrote:I used Nathan Fosters bedding compound too.

And this is what his rifle builds can do. 1km goat, one shot kill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUQ3 ... Wr7zpwPZ6Q
Seems he's also written some good library material as well. https://www.ballisticstudies.com/
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 18 Oct 2019, 1:08 pm

No1_49er wrote:

And this is what his rifle builds can do. 1km goat, one shot kill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUQ3 ... Wr7zpwPZ6Q
Seems he's also written some good library material as well. https://www.ballisticstudies.com/

you can learn quite a bit from Nathan Foster especially if you are a novice but dont get too involved
I have seen him contradict what is written in his books on his forum quite often
a typical question is answered in this way "BUY HIS BOOK SERIES":lol: how dare someone wanting an answer for free :lol:
some of his advise can be seen as agricultural at best

his shooting skills at 1km, for what he is built up to be would not stand up in competition
dont get too sucked into sending him your hard earned cash
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 18 Oct 2019, 3:12 pm

marksman wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

you can learn quite a bit from Nathan Foster especially if you are a novice but dont get too involved
I have seen him contradict what is written in his books on his forum quite often
a typical question is answered in this way "BUY HIS BOOK SERIES":lol: how dare someone wanting an answer for free :lol:
some of his advise can be seen as agricultural at best

his shooting skills at 1km, for what he is built up to be would not stand up in competition
dont get too sucked into sending him your hard earned cash

i find a lot of his info very useful MM, but your right, there is a bit of self promoting at work ;) and "buy my books" is a common response :P still , the worlds richer for having him in it. i reckon chuck hawks would be a interesting character to talk to :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 18 Oct 2019, 4:06 pm

I can understand how he is in a business to make money BR but why have a forum if not to help people :unknown: :wtf:
his web site is setup to throw out the carrot and get you interested enough to buy his books and have a read only to find them bland with a lot of self promoting with no real gems of information that people cant get if they google, he lost me when he spoke about mixing wild boar hair into his bedding compound to make it stronger or something like that :lol: very agricultural :lol:
I also did not appreciate and found offensive the way novices were treated like naughty children being scolded by his suckholes and himself if they asked a question about something he does not believe in eg... using bi-pods or rifle rests :crazy:

anyway he wont get any of my money again :lol: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Oct 2019, 7:13 pm

It must be hard to make a dollar out of providing advice to hunters and dealing with the public must wear on you. I am happy to have a guy in our neck of the woods make a go of it. I like to be challenged and hear about different approaches. Which is why I like to read people's thought on this forum. You never know where you will hear about an idea you can use.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 18 Oct 2019, 7:40 pm

I hear you SCJ... :thumbsup:

But im kind of with Marksman...

I bought his books some years back--was under the impression they would have at least been edited by a professional...

I was somewhat roped in with promises & talk of being taken under his wing...his talk of mentoring what he called 'his students'...but you needed to get a grip of all the 'secrets' in his books before he'd give you any time...

This was also pre his tikka bedding & accusing tutorials, & he'd mentioned having access to that as well...

None of what he'd said ever came to reality...and then, conveniently, he changed his mind & wanted money for the Tikka stuff, & access to that would have an expiry date... :unknown:

Got his books...got a reply to an email--2 months later...& that was it...

He's not interested in helping...now thats fine---but to rope people in with lures, to not deliver once you have the money, is not tactics im a fan of...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Oct 2019, 2:19 pm

I paid my money and got what I wanted from Nathan so I am as happy as a pig in poo. I have spent far more money with Ford and Holden and they don't want to give me anything without sending me a bill.

Happy to read someone's thoughts that lives outside the US. I also enjoy reading about shooters in Scandinavia to get their perspective.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Nov 2019, 8:32 pm

Hi Guys,,,

Just out of interest sake I'm putting this up.

I have found a two pack product that I thought might be ok for bedding rifles with.
So I bought it and have done some experiments with it to ascertain its suitability.

First up I mixed up approx a couple table spoons of it and applied it to a piece of 20 mm plywood.
There was a hole approx 12mm deep made by a 1" diameter drill bit.
After filling it I laid (horozontally) the hex head and section of a 1/2" bolt embedded in it. (coated with a release agent)

After 24 hrs curing time (its workable for up to an hour) I lifted the bolt out.
I then laid the plywood on a piece of 2" plate steel and hammered a center punch in to the cured material approx 10mm deep.
The material did not shatter, split, or dislodge from the plywood.
I then put the plywood into the vice and proceeded to hammer and chisel a deep Vee section cross ways out of it.
The rest remained attached to the plywood.

I think after that sort of abuse, it would be safe to say that it would be good to bed a heavy kicker rifle with.

The product is also non shrinking.
It is called "Sika Concrete Fix Kit", (Sikadur 33) and comes in two tubs Part A and Part B
1 to 1 mixing ratio.

> (on the label),,,,,,,,
* Excellent adhesion for structural applications
*High strength and load capacity
* Non shrink
* Non sag
*Can be used on damp concrete
* Bonds to concrete, aluminium, ceramic, fibre cement, polyester, mortar, timber, render, blocks, epoxy, steel, iron, brick and stone.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 09 Nov 2019, 10:45 pm

Sika make some pretty good gear so as long as it doesn't shrink l dont see why it wouldn't be any good
cant wait to hear how it goes for for with some pic's :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 11 Nov 2019, 9:06 am

These were two rifles I've bedded with Devcon 10110, it was very easy to work with, not runny stayed in place and cured as it was meant to, also very easy to clean up. These photo's were taken straight after pulling barrelled actions, no cleaning. T3 and Rem700, Pretty happy for a backyarder
Attachments
Tikka Bedding.jpg
Tikka Bedding.jpg (255.41 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
Rem Bedding.jpg
Rem Bedding.jpg (140.26 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 11 Nov 2019, 6:55 pm

very nice work :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 11 Nov 2019, 7:30 pm

Looks good!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Nov 2019, 6:16 pm

I finally got around to bedding and floating the rifle with the Sika product.
Where necessary to block or retain the compound I tried kids "playdough" and it seemed to work well and is easy to remove afterwards.
For a release agent I just used Coppercoat,,,,, so I used what I had on hand and it all did the job.
I'm pretty pleased with the end result, and only have to do a bit of paint touch up on the stock where I had to relieve it for a good fit and float.
In the next few days I'll check the zero and the handling characteristics before trying it out on some bigger pigs.
This stock is 110% better to hold and handle than the original one which was so slippery it nearly jumps out of your hands when firing it.

100_5485.JPG
100_5485.JPG (541.25 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
100_5484 - Copy.JPG
100_5484 - Copy.JPG (485.79 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
100_5483.JPG
100_5483.JPG (459.15 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
100_5482 - Copy.JPG
100_5482 - Copy.JPG (544.91 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
100_5487.JPG
100_5487.JPG (373.22 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
100_5486.JPG
100_5486.JPG (371.97 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing