Mounted torch

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Mounted torch

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Oct 2019, 8:08 pm

What type / brand of mounted torch would suit to see very clear to 250yds as at night I try not to go out further my offsider the minister for finance and love is slowly loosing her sight and at present can't help with me by holding the spotty anymore she can't locate ferals in the light and I am finding it too difficult to hold the spotty and shoot at the same time so I reckon a torch will be good after using the spotty to locate the feral T hanks for help in advance cheers :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Re: Mounted torch

Post by xDom » 16 Oct 2019, 8:28 pm

What type / brand of mounted torch would suit to see very clear to 250yds as at night I try not to go out further my offsider the minister for finance and love is slowly loosing her sight and at present can't help with me by holding the spotty anymore she can't locate ferals in the light and I am finding it too difficult to hold the spotty and shoot at the same time so I reckon a torch will be good after using the spotty to locate the feral T hanks for help in advance cheers :thumbsup: :drinks:

OLight M2x.

A high quality brand. The M2x is extremely light, about 1000 lumens, that’ll shine out well past your 250m.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Oct 2019, 8:35 pm

Thanks xDom i'll look into them mate thanks
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Oct 2019, 8:37 pm

Mate - I must have tested 20 LED torch units in thee last 3 years, including wolf eyes, Olight, etc etc.
This unit here is the best I have found for the $$$ and it would suit as a light out to 400 - 500m quite easily...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nitecore-P3 ... SwzixdL9fT

I was so impressed with this unit over all the others I have tried - I bought 5 for family and friends for presents. This was about 9 months ago, and then - prices on these were $60...I reckon they have gone up because of how they compare to $200-$400 units. They are very good and much better/brighter than the best wolf eyes unit.
Down sides of the nitecore ? There are 5 power settings and I continually forget which bloody no I am on and always go for one more - to end up in darkness. The activation tab is a bit fiddly when its not on the rifle. On full house power, you can see for a LONG way BUT the power is drained from the battery very quickly - 15 minutes on full power and your going for another battery...some of the Wolf Eyes and Olight, Shadow hawk, get around this issue by having 2 batteries or a larger unit in the body of the torch, but that then adds weight to the overall package - I find it just as easy to carry a second or third battery and swap in/out and keep the rifle as light as possible. I have in fact spent an evening on setting 4 instead of 5 and the power consumption dropped significantly and I still had more than enough light to shoot 200+m - we spent 30 minutes walking and the first battery was still doing well. Anyways - there's my op.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 16 Oct 2019, 9:02 pm

If I were not using thermal and I wantest the longest punch, I would mount an ace beam w30. As long as u can deal with the very narrow beam
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Oct 2019, 10:16 pm

Thanks fellas i'll look into them all because I need a torch from here on in for night work cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 16 Oct 2019, 10:39 pm

Hey xDom...do you have or used one of these lights...?

Do you know if it has coloured filters available for it...?

Andwhen you say shine out to 250m...csn you actually make out a bunny &/or fox at that range ...?

:drinks:
Last edited by Stix on 16 Oct 2019, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Oct 2019, 10:40 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Mate - I must have tested 20 LED torch units in thee last 3 years, including wolf eyes, Olight, etc etc.
This unit here is the best I have found for the $$$ and it would suit as a light out to 400 - 500m quite easily...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nitecore-P3 ... SwzixdL9fT

I was so impressed with this unit over all the others I have tried - I bought 5 for family and friends for presents. This was about 9 months ago, and then - prices on these were $60...I reckon they have gone up because of how they compare to $200-$400 units. They are very good and much better/brighter than the best wolf eyes unit.
Down sides of the nitecore ? There are 5 power settings and I continually forget which bloody no I am on and always go for one more - to end up in darkness. The activation tab is a bit fiddly when its not on the rifle. On full house power, you can see for a LONG way BUT the power is drained from the battery very quickly - 15 minutes on full power and your going for another battery...some of the Wolf Eyes and Olight, Shadow hawk, get around this issue by having 2 batteries or a larger unit in the body of the torch, but that then adds weight to the overall package - I find it just as easy to carry a second or third battery and swap in/out and keep the rifle as light as possible. I have in fact spent an evening on setting 4 instead of 5 and the power consumption dropped significantly and I still had more than enough light to shoot 200+m - we spent 30 minutes walking and the first battery was still doing well. Anyways - there's my op.

Tas...do you know if you can get filters (diff colours like red n green) for this light...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Oct 2019, 2:09 am

Hey Stix, you can get red screw on lenses for about $30. Haven’t seen green though.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by deanp100 » 17 Oct 2019, 7:29 am

The olight m3x and m3x pro are the best I have seen. They appear to be the go to light currently for rifle mounted hunting.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 17 Oct 2019, 7:57 am

The M3x, I’m pretty sure is a 1200 lumen torch over the 1000 lm for the M2x. However the 1200 output drops to a value lower after a short period.
Probably not really an issue in a scope mounted torch as they’d only be on for very short periods.

Stix, yes you can get filters for the OLight M2x. I had a M2x then sold it ( long story) now I’m gonna buy another. I reckon at 250m you’d get good definition on a rabbit.
I will look into that torch that Tassie spoke of, though. Cheaper than the OLight.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 17 Oct 2019, 12:56 pm

Just bought the Nitecore hunting kit and already got a result with it. Comes with a red and a green filter, mains battery charger and car charger, mounting clamp that’ll fit scopes or a shotgun barrel and a remote remote switch.
Very happy with it.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Oct 2019, 12:58 pm

Noisydad wrote:Just bought the Nitecore hunting kit and already got a result with it. Comes with a red and a green filter, mains battery charger and car charger, mounting clamp that’ll fit scopes or a shotgun barrel and a remote remote switch.
Very happy with it.

Hey Noisy...
Where from...?
& can you make out small game to 250...fox easy at 300...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 17 Oct 2019, 1:23 pm

I used a half good multi coloured torch once on pigs in a paddock. The red was too dull I could not see anything. Then I tried green. I could see the pigs but it scared them away quick smart. I think a quality nitecore , o light or ace beam with red filter is the go
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 17 Oct 2019, 2:19 pm

I have a OLIGHT M3X it's good for 300y with a decent scope .
You will find a good scope is more important than a bulky light ......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 17 Oct 2019, 3:13 pm

Stix wrote:Hey Noisy...
Where from...?
& can you make out small game to 250...fox easy at 300...?

Got it at GFD guns and ammo in Kyabram vic. Haven’t used it seriously at anything that far away yet but scored a howling, spraying, ginger Tom cat that’s been my nemesis and mission for three years lol. Used the green filter on the torch and the dirty mongrel cat just sat there looking at me instead of bolting aw......... :thumbsup:
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Oct 2019, 5:07 pm

That’s cause he’s been watching your shoot and thought, there’s no fark in way haha....but we all make mistakes lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 17 Oct 2019, 6:40 pm

TassieTiger wrote:That’s cause he’s been watching your shoot and thought, there’s no fark in way haha....but we all make mistakes lol.

:lol:
You're a cheeky bugger...!!

Good one Noisy... :thumbsup:
Send me his pelt...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 17 Oct 2019, 7:31 pm

One of these, or something similar to suit whatever torch you get, is a good option for mounting.

https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-x ... pon-mount/
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Oct 2019, 10:19 pm

I'd just like to mention that I now have a mounted torch my two boys bought me an early birthday present after all the help and info on here about mountables they decided to go with the OLight m3xs-ut javelot apparently it is the latest one and is supposed to be good to 1000mtrs its 1200 Lumens I tried mine tonight and as a shot light it will be good to the 250yds which I think is far enough at night there was a little smoke around later on and i found the smoke affected it more than it affected the spotlight I am thinking that's because of the intensity of the light beam other than that didn't christen it but am quiet pleased with it at this stage so thanks to you all that helped with info and to make up my mind thanks all
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 25 Oct 2019, 10:41 pm

Good to know.
Keen to hear you report back on live game when you use it for shooting.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Oct 2019, 11:40 pm

It come with a magnet mount like GQshayne posted above and it works well on the stainless barrel of the 22-250
Member-Deleted

Post by Windston » 26 Oct 2019, 11:26 am

I have never had any issues with Astrolux torches, really pretty cheap online but not nasty. They are very popular in torch collectors, which believe it or not are a thing.

I have a small C8 that is great to have on the rifle, about 1300 lumens on turbo, and a FT-03 that has a huge throw, powered by readily available 18650 and 26650 batteries.

The C8 is just a model for a torch body, so there are a bunch of mods you can do, like buying a pressure switch to turn it on with your shooting hand.
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 26 Oct 2019, 11:55 am

Olight with magnetic barrel mount. Do note that it dosnt stick well to stainless steel.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 26 Oct 2019, 1:40 pm

Windston wrote:I have never had any issues with Astrolux torches, really pretty cheap online but not nasty. They are very popular in torch collectors, which believe it or not are a thing.

I have a small C8 that is great to have on the rifle, about 1300 lumens on turbo, and a FT-03 that has a huge throw, powered by readily available 18650 and 26650 batteries.

The C8 is just a model for a torch body, so there are a bunch of mods you can do, like buying a pressure switch to turn it on with your shooting hand.

What are these like (in terms of clearly making out a fox & the spread of the beam) out to 300 yds Windston...?

And do you know if coloured filters are available for them...?

Cheers
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 26 Oct 2019, 3:12 pm

GQshayne wrote:One of these, or something similar to suit whatever torch you get, is a good option for mounting.

https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-x ... pon-mount/

after seeing this l bought one and used it with my Olight during the week, the best thing l have bought for a long while :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Oct 2019, 4:17 pm

G'day Harrynsw yes I to was concerned about the magnet/stainless thing but the boys were assured by the shop owner that there would be no problems or he'd take the light back if we weren't happy with it and I can assure you that he was right on my barrel anyway my barrel is fluted with lengths of area not touching the magnets but there is no chance of dislodging the torch even it you should drop the rifle I understand your point as most marine grade stainless won't attract a magnet where as higher grade stainless can attract a magnet as much as a piece of steel most all stainless gun barrels are of very high grade stainless hence they will attract a magnet
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Oct 2019, 4:37 pm

Yeah marksman I agree with you although I've never use the screw on mount but I definitely have no reason to go away from the magnetic type they hang on tight hey
Mate how do you find the distance of the beam with your Olight i'm not sure my batteries are fully charged and I reckon mine shines for shooting clear to 300m is this the same with yours i'll probably have to wait till my batteries go completely flat then recharge them to see how mine are actually performing
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 26 Oct 2019, 7:22 pm

Where do you mount the magnet--I'm assuming so the light is under the barrel & up muzzle end...?...

Also. have any of you who mount the light this way noticed a shift in the point of impact with the light hanging off the barrel...?

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 26 Oct 2019, 7:24 pm

What batteries do you have????

Like everything else, some are better than others. Does the torch take a 18650 battery??
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment