12gauge slug unburnt powder

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

12gauge slug unburnt powder

Post by skilton mark » 17 Oct 2019, 2:53 pm

ok here is my problem i reload 3 different centre fire caliber no problems. i am trying to load 12 gauge key drive 1oz slug as you know components are hard to get in Australia using AP70N 28 grain powder, waa12 wad and nitro card made from egg cartons (could not buy ) and cci 209 primers cant get win 209 within 300 km the primers are loose in all my different hulls press in by hand i have lots of unburnt powder and i mean lots i also have some old w aa 245 magnum primers that are a snug fit but still unburnt powder
skilton mark
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 12gauge slug unburnt powder

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Oct 2019, 8:06 pm

Crimp is pretty important. Must get thet right. Is it good? If not you need to adjust the wad colum to get it right.
Personally i would use a faster powder for 1oz.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2019, 8:17 pm

skilton mark wrote:ok here is my problem i reload 3 different centre fire caliber no problems. i am trying to load 12 gauge key drive 1oz slug as you know components are hard to get in Australia using AP70N 28 grain powder, waa12 wad and nitro card made from egg cartons (could not buy ) and cci 209 primers cant get win 209 within 300 km the primers are loose in all my different hulls press in by hand i have lots of unburnt powder and i mean lots i also have some old w aa 245 magnum primers that are a snug fit but still unburnt powder

How are you crimping them?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 17 Oct 2019, 9:38 pm

I thought AP was pistol powder and AS was shotgun powder.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 17 Oct 2019, 9:42 pm

I checked the ADI site and it recommends 28gn AP70 so you are right and I learned something
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by skilton mark » 18 Oct 2019, 4:43 am

fold crimp 2 layers of egg carton under slug to raise hight the loose primers are a big part of it i think will keep hunting the win 209 down before i waste to many more will try a bit more powder to give it some pressure
skilton mark
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Oct 2019, 8:08 am

skilton mark wrote:fold crimp 2 layers of egg carton under slug to raise hight the loose primers are a big part of it i think will keep hunting the win 209 down before i waste to many more will try a bit more powder to give it some pressure

What length barrel are you shooting them in?
What velocity are you seeing?
Do you get any unburnt powder with factory loads?
Last edited by bladeracer on 18 Oct 2019, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by skilton mark » 18 Oct 2019, 8:43 pm

a lever action with 20 in barrel and a under over about 28 inch they seem quite mild in recoil but are right on the money with shot placement i had test loads at 29.5 grain still some powder but not as much put a tighter choke in and even better so think might need a bit more pressure on the powder will be a few days before i can test again ,wished it was easier to get the right components
skilton mark
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by skilton mark » 18 Oct 2019, 8:50 pm

sorry no never had problems with factory load and i have shot a lot of them which is why i wanted to make my own
skilton mark
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by skilton mark » 02 Dec 2019, 5:07 pm

just a note to go with my unburnt powder problem got the correct win primers ,put 31grains in to give a bit of compression on the powder loading the lee 1 oz and the Russian match slug 28 gram to 34 gram using same charge in all sorts of different hulls not a grain of unburnt powder to be seen could be a little hot at times but all in all not bad grouping at around 80 mts
skilton mark
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Dec 2019, 8:31 pm

skilton mark wrote:just a note to go with my unburnt powder problem got the correct win primers ,put 31grains in to give a bit of compression on the powder loading the lee 1 oz and the Russian match slug 28 gram to 34 gram using same charge in all sorts of different hulls not a grain of unburnt powder to be seen could be a little hot at times but all in all not bad grouping at around 80 mts

Great to hear. InstInstue ad of increasing the powder charge u could have increased the wad collumn & thereby improving the crimp by just adding a cardboard wad under the slug.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.