Mounting a Scope

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Mounting a Scope

Post by Stix » 12 Oct 2019, 5:59 pm

What does everyone do when mounting a scope...particularly in relation to the lubrication/anti rust additive to the metal surfaces that cannot & will not be accessed once the scope is mounted.

For example...Rings to mounts--the metal to metal surfaces...i usually give a light smear of oil or lanolin grease, so when the time comes to eventually pull them apart they are not rusty..

I remember years ago, i put new steel mpounts on an old remington, & the fellow next to me at the range said "dont do that mate (in regard to me smearing an oil lined finger over the mounts)--you dont want to be lubricating those surfaces"...only 18 months later i pulled them off & the bluing was all rusty & they remain that way now...

This goes for other surfaces too...like for example, the upper surface of the action/reciever on a Tikka T3 has ridges machined into...so being paranoid about rust, before i mounted a pic rail, i smeared lanolin grease in them (not much-but a coating all the same)...so when that rail comes off there shouldnt be any rust to speak of.

There is also the inner side of scope rings--like for example on rings that have inserts like some Burris & Sako's...any kind of grease/oil goes against the theory of not wanting these parts to have any movement, yet if they are not coated, sure as eggs in 5 years or more when you pull them apart they will be rusty...a smear of an oily finger on the inside of rings before the inserts are in is very tempting... :problem:

Naturally im careful to not get it into screw threads etc...

So...im keen to know... :)

What does everyone do in regards to these metal to metal areas...?...particularly for you mature aged &/or bulk shooters that have been re-setting scope mounts on re-barrels for decade after decade... :unknown: :geek:

And what are your thoughts on the matter...? :idea:

(it would be good if you all answer within 5 mins as im about to mount a scope... :lol: )

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Mounting a Scope

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Oct 2019, 6:58 pm

I have never had rust on the inside of steel rings and I live in a humid place, where the air is salty. Naturally, the insides were not oiled, greased for the reasons you mention. Perhaps the air could not get to the insides :unknown:
However and not to change the subject but an un-oiled rimfire did rust. Everything is stored in the same safe too. No harm in oiling the outside of rings though.

I don't use oil anymore on the outside of my guns. Instead, I use wax. Maybe it would be OK on the inside of rings :unknown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Oct 2019, 7:11 pm

Hey Wm.Traynor... :)

That sounds interesting...
Whats this wax you use...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2019, 7:26 pm

I wipe a greasy finger over the metal I'm going to cover with a rail, not enough to be visible, just enough to seal it.

I have my old Lynx one-piece mount from my M96 which has lots of surface rust now, I wouldn't use steel mounts or rings these days.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 12 Oct 2019, 7:31 pm

Last year I removed the scope rings from my Tikka LSA 55. When they were installed I never put anything on them, and there was no corrosion. They were on there for about 32 years.

But a wipe of lanolin sounds like a good idea.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Oct 2019, 8:24 pm

I’m super slack with my bush tools (rifles) I don’t do anything cosmetic ,,,as long as it functions and I operate with utmost safety when useing them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 12 Oct 2019, 8:37 pm

Nothing....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Oct 2019, 9:20 pm

I used to place a tiny piece of rubber tape on rings to prevent marking but I’ve now stopped doing this and def do not use a lubricant...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 13 Oct 2019, 11:34 am

Stix wrote:Hey Wm.Traynor... :)

Cabinet Maker's Wax
www.gillystephenson.com
No idea what's in it but it smells nice :oops: Got the wax-idea from the marlinowners.com/forum where they use floor polish but I could not find any locally. Maybe no one polishes lino floors anymore :unknown: I'll bet CMW is dear though. I haven't bought any for years.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 15 Oct 2019, 9:36 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
Stix wrote:Hey Wm.Traynor... :)

Cabinet Maker's Wax
http://www.gillystephenson.com
No idea what's in it but it smells nice :oops: Got the wax-idea from the marlinowners.com/forum where they use floor polish but I could not find any locally. Maybe no one polishes lino floors anymore :unknown: I'll bet CMW is dear though. I haven't bought any for years.

No, no-one waxes floors anymore. They polish them , just not with a wax.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Oct 2019, 1:24 pm

coachaline is my go to rust inhibitor because I have it but would use other types of wax products eg... car paint wax, floor wax
https://victoriancollections.net.au/ite ... 19dcbc6915
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Oct 2019, 2:45 pm

marksman wrote:coachaline is my go to rust inhibitor because I have it but would use other types of wax products eg... car paint wax, floor wax
https://victoriancollections.net.au/ite ... 19dcbc6915

Bloody hell Marksman...you're using a valuable antique for rust proofing... :o :thumbsup:
Wish i could get my ol'man to get over himself--got a coiuple nice Wini 92's sitting in the safe that are 'too good to shoot'... :roll:

So...do you use that on metal to metal surfaces, such as mentioned above, like say inside of steel scope rings or between base & receiver etc......?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 20 Oct 2019, 7:43 pm

yes l do use that on metal to metal surfaces and no rust ever
I have had the tin l have for around 20 odd years that cloth l have is coated with it and just left on the bench so l just give anything a wipe a forget it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Nov 2019, 11:00 am

When I mount scopes I never put anything like wax, oil, grease, on or in before actual mounting.
But,,,,,,,,, once that is done,,, the occasional light overall spray of gun oil or Inox will seep in anywhere that moisture would otherwise get
into, seems to be a way of preventing rust from starting.
Then just a quick wipe down of any excess.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Nov 2019, 3:08 pm

Mmmm....Vasaline might be an option. Should prevet rust. But unlike gease is a poor lubricant.

All my rings are alloy. So no need here.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 02 Nov 2019, 7:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Mmmm....Vasaline might be an option. Should prevet rust. But unlike gease is a poor lubricant.

All my rings are alloy. So no need here.

I am sure there is a very poor joke here somewhere, involving Vaseline and your ring, but I am not going anywhere near it. :mrgreen:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing