opening a can of worms

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

opening a can of worms

Post by marksman » 07 Nov 2019, 3:36 pm

here is IMHO an informative article by uncle nick harvey :thumbsup:

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/ask-u ... rsus-30-06
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: opening a can of worms

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Nov 2019, 4:05 pm

Very interesting. Who would have thought that the 308 is dead ?
Lol. Kidding...I wonder if he wrote that to generate some temperature in the kitchen...the 308 seems to have a fair bit less recoil then 06...they’d be an advantage...but there are much better target rounds with less recoil as well...from memory - the 6.5 140gn Creedmoor surpasses the 308 150gn with FPS after 450-500m...with much less recoil.
Long live the 06 LOL
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 07 Nov 2019, 5:02 pm

i noticed uncle nick uses RE22 as his favorite powder for reloading 06 . it's my go to powder for 6.5 swede and very likely 243 after checking a few more handloads . alliant powders usually produce more FPS with less preasure in most calibers . 30-06 will never die , it's got too much going for it :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Nov 2019, 5:25 pm

bigrich wrote:i noticed uncle nick uses RE22 as his favorite powder for reloading 06 . it's my go to powder for 6.5 swede and very likely 243 after checking a few more handloads . alliant powders usually produce more FPS with less preasure in most calibers . 30-06 will never die , it's got too much going for it :thumbsup:

RE22 gets the swede scooting along and brings it to life as well hey BR
it's one of my favorites and IMHO is mothers milk in a 300wm :drinks:
l currently am using it in my 270wsm with 150gr bullets @ 3220 fps
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 07 Nov 2019, 7:22 pm

A little story for you fellas about Uncle Nick if I may...... When I was turning 14 yrs old I was asked what I wanted for my birthday. Of course it was another gun. You see I already had a .22 and a shotgun in my bedroom wardrobe ( shock horror :shock: ) but I didn't have a centrefire rifle. I had been reading every piece of gun information I could get my hands on about calibers and decided a 30-06 was for me ( at 14 yrs old weighing about 3/6ths of f*ck all ). Anywho, I scan the local rag classifieds and find the gun. I drag the old man out to buy me this gun. It was a cheap sporterised M98 Famage 30/06 with a steel buttplate and it came with half a dozen boxes of South African " Musgrave? " 180grn round nose soft points. So we take the gun out into the bush for me to sight it in. And after about the 5th or 6th round I have developed the worst flinch ever. So when I got home I wrote a hand written letter to Uncle Nick asking him if he thought a 30/06 was too big a gun for a 14 yr old boy. I included a self addressed stamped envelope for a reply as you did back then. And after an eternity a HAND TYPED response from the GOD himself came back. He told me he didn't think a 30/06 was too big of a gun for a young man such as myself and I should persevere with the rifle until I learnt how to shoot it well. Times have changed. Uncle Nick must be in his 70's? surely. Legend though.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 07 Nov 2019, 7:27 pm

Good story Stoney :thumbsup:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Nov 2019, 7:38 pm

that 270 wsm is scooting along MM . just out of curiosity , what brands of brass do you use ? i'm using Norma in my 6.5 and 222 , jageman in my 243 and PPU in my 8x57 . do you , or anyone else, have any comments or theory's on brass ? i like the norma cause it's so consistant in qaulity. i've had RP and WIN that's just been crap . federal not much better , especially if it's got that blue glue around the primer pocket . the jageman is a new US brand that seems really consistant in weight and quality . getting a bit of topic ;) , i think 30-06 has a advantage so long as powder with good case fill is used. i've noticed my most consistant reloads have 80-90 % case fill . the larger boiler room is a advantage for more FPS, i don't see having a short action as much of a advantage in a hunting rifle , which is the only other advantage some would bring up in favor for 308 . i've considered building a 358 win , which is a fine round , but i think the 30-06 based 35 whelen has advantages in speed and reach and the ability to throw heavier projectiles if needed . comments ..... :unknown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Nov 2019, 7:40 pm

it'll be a sad day when uncle nick passes , all hail uncle nick ! :lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Nov 2019, 8:00 pm

bigrich wrote:it'll be a sad day when uncle nick passes , all hail uncle nick ! :lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

+1 :clap:

l am using match prepped win cases for 270wsm
win and norma for 30-06
lapua for 6.5x284, 6.5x55, 308's, 22 dasher, 6mm dasher, 222
win for 22-250
ppu and win for 17 ackleys
hornady for 22 hornet
win and hornady for 375 H&H
l have norma for 300wm when l get around to it :lol: got to stop spending money on other sh!t :lol:

l have a preference for win cases if they are up to standard and match prepped because they have thinner walls (more case volume, easier to pick out bananas) that can safely be loaded with a bit more powder for more velocity but less pressure
l usually get once fired range brass and go through a hell of a lot of cutting to get a good number to use
this has been a good one for me :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Nov 2019, 8:08 pm

I have two 30-06s. And would recomend it for bigger stuff. But, IMHO 200fps less aint going to matter very much to a deer at 200 yards or 350 for that matter.

The other thing is its a bit of a raffle what your rifle will like. My M70 with 180 gr bullets likes hot loads while the Marlin seems to be happy with mild loads.
So buy a 30-06 thinking your going to shoot 150gr
bullets fast might just go out the window.

270, 308 & 30-06 are all good IMO. Its splitting hairs.

P.s. Often people buy stuff they just dont need. e.g. buying a 30-06 to shoot goats, just need a 223.

Pop Corn.jpg
Pop Corn.jpg (58.56 KiB) Viewed 6123 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Nov 2019, 8:22 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I have two 30-06s. And would recomend it for bigger stuff. But, IMHO 200fps less aint going to matter very much to a deer at 200 yards or 350 for that matter.

The other thing is its a bit of a raffle what your rifle will like. My M70 with 180 gr bullets likes hot loads while the Marlin seems to be happy with mild loads.
So buy a 30-06 thinking your going to shoot 150gr
bullets fast might just go out the window.

270, 308 & 30-06 are all good IMO. Its splitting hairs.

P.s. Often people buy stuff they just dont need. e.g. buying a 30-06 to shoot goats, just need a 223.

Pop Corn.jpg

your right about people buying what they don't really need , most gun nuts on this forum are guilty of that i reckon :lol: . i've got a itch for 35 whelen ATM , saw a very nasty mean looking bunny the other week :lol: i suppose i could shoot the little bugger with a 22 mag and get a mate to punch me in the shoulder to simulate owning the whelen :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Nov 2019, 8:27 pm

l am using match prepped win cases for 270wsm
win and norma for 30-06
lapua for 6.5x284, 6.5x55, 308's, 22 dasher, 6mm dasher, 222
win for 22-250
ppu and win for 17 ackleys
hornady for 22 hornet
win and hornady for 375 H&H
l have norma for 300wm when l get around to it :lol: got to stop spending money on other sh!t :lol:

l have a preference for win cases if they are up to standard and match prepped because they have thinner walls (more case volume, easier to pick out bananas) that can safely be loaded with a bit more powder for more velocity but less pressure
l usually get once fired range brass and go through a hell of a lot of cutting to get a good number to use
this has been a good one for me :drinks:[/quote]

how does the lapua compare to norma ? much of a muchness ? i've heard the lapua is thicker and has less capacity , i'd maybe have to tweak my loads a little . any thoughts on this ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Nov 2019, 8:29 pm

dunno about those MJ memes OB , he just creeps me out :?

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Nov 2019, 8:43 pm

bigrich wrote:dunno about those MJ memes OB , he just creeps me out :?

Was never a fan myself.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 07 Nov 2019, 8:58 pm

what l have found is the norma is a bit softer than the lapua not to say that l dont rate norma that just means the primer pockets will loosen up with my loads quicker
l think if you changed your brass with any different brand you should rework your loads
l match prep all the cases l use no matter what the brand and there is culling of cases with all of them

and l will add this to the can of worms :thumbsup:
"The .30-06 is an immensely versatile cartridge. There was a time when ammunition selection was somewhat poor and hunters had a choice of either a soft 150 grain bullet or in many instances, a stout 180 grain bullet. The 180 grain bullet was promoted as being the best all-round choice which was quite often detrimental to the performance and popularity of this cartridge. Australian gun writer Nick Harvey put it best many years ago when he said “ a deer hit with the 180 grain bullet may go down immediately but is just as likely to get up again and run anywhere from 100 to 300 yards”.
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 07 Nov 2019, 9:18 pm

He knows that there is really nothing in it. Even stating that the 308 may be a better choice in some circumstances. The caveat that these remarks, relate to is very specific, Large Game.

Personally I would choose the 308 over the 30 06.

@tassietiger the 6.5C IMHO is a marginal gain over the 308 in certain circumstances the drop at any distance past 300 yrds is insignificant in both actual drop size on paper and in real life shooting is not a factor. The 6.5 will buck the wind at ranges past 400 slightly better in real life shooting and on paper.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 08 Nov 2019, 4:41 am

Horses for courses, for general use there isn’t much in it between 08 and 06 . Depends on the rifle as well, some folks like a bit of history , a Springfield sporter in 06 wouldn’t be a bad thing. Depends on what hunting or shooting you do I suppose. A lot of folks probably couldn’t be bothered playing around with 8x57, but I’ve got one in a pre WW1 Mauser that’s slick and tight. The ballistics for the heavier hand loads compare very well to 06 and 08, horses for courses :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Nov 2019, 5:39 am

bigrich wrote:Horses for courses, for general use there isn’t much in it between 08 and 06 . Depends on the rifle as well, some folks like a bit of history , a Springfield sporter in 06 wouldn’t be a bad thing. Depends on what hunting or shooting you do I suppose. A lot of folks probably couldn’t be bothered playing around with 8x57, but I’ve got one in a pre WW1 Mauser that’s slick and tight. The ballistics for the heavier hand loads compare very well to 06 and 08, horses for courses :thumbsup:

Correct. Splitting hairs.

Marksman, so whats wrong with a 180gr bullet?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Nov 2019, 7:02 am

Both are very capable cases and well suited to many hunting situations. The article is rehashing the old discussion and choosing either case would work well for most people.

I see the 30/06 as almost a Magnum. For me if I wanted to burn that amount of powder I would move up to a 300 WSM, Win Mag or a RUM. Then again I don't want to buy factory ammo and can plan ahead to reload what I need. For those who buy factory ammo, buy a 308 and you won't have a problem.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 08 Nov 2019, 7:05 am

@SCJ429 Your right when you do the comparison it is a lot more powder for not a huge gain in speed. esp in the middle region. You would expect a greater increase like 60fps per grain.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by straightshooter » 08 Nov 2019, 7:07 am

One thing to remember about long lived freelance gun writers is they have learn't the golden rule. Don't bight the hand that feeds you.
They are only one bad review away from a situation where stuff to review drys up and with it the hunting trips and product release junkets.
If somebody gave you lots of free stuff with an expectation of more wouldn't you be inclined to be generous in your praise of their products and recommend them wherever possible.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Nov 2019, 7:08 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Correct. Splitting hairs.

I have seen 178 grain bullets working very well on Varmints. Not seen any run off after being hit.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 08 Nov 2019, 9:18 am

Oldbloke wrote:

in a word "nothing" :lol: just opening the can a bit more :lol: it was uncle nick who said it not me :lol:

we all do know that the 30-06 was made to shoot 150gr bullets though, dont we ;)

"In 1905, Germany adopted a light 154 grain bullet for the 8x57 at an extremely high velocity of 2890fps. The U.S, keen to embrace new technologies, immediately set about upgrading the .30-03 cartridge. A more aerodynamic 150 grain pointed projectile was created and along with this, the .30-03 case was shortened by .07 of an inch (1.8mm) to optimize the new bullet design. This was the birth of the .30 US cartridge of 1906 known today as the .30-06. The Springfield rifle maintained its original designation as the 1903 Springfield. The .30-06 remained the principle military cartridge of the US for 50 years

After the change to the .30 Ball 150 grain bullet, all military 1903 Springfield rifles were recalled, the barrels cut back by one thread turn and were re-chambered for the modified cartridge. Barrel length of the final rifle configuration was 24”. Velocity of the 150 grain .30 Ball was 2700fps, recorded at 78ft (le Boulenge Chronograph) True muzzle velocity would have been 2780fps."

this backs uncle nicks claims that the 30-06 comes to life when hand loaded :thumbsup: these velocities are what l would expect from 180gr bullets :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Nov 2019, 9:22 am

SCJ429 wrote:Both are very capable cases and well suited to many hunting situations. The article is rehashing the old discussion and choosing either case would work well for most people.

I see the 30/06 as almost a Magnum. For me if I wanted to burn that amount of powder I would move up to a 300 WSM, Win Mag or a RUM. Then again I don't want to buy factory ammo and can plan ahead to reload what I need. For those who buy factory ammo, buy a 308 and you won't have a problem.

you are kidding, right
the kinetic energy differences between the 06 and the magnums is huge not almost :lol:
and nobody has said that the 308 is no good :unknown:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Nov 2019, 11:18 am

this could tip the can over :lol:
from the rifle add description " Webley and Scott Empire in ever popular 30-06, arguably the most versatile caliber for Australian conditions." :lol:
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=162185

you got anymore popcorn Oldbloke :lol:

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Nov 2019, 11:38 am

SCJ429 wrote:I have seen 178 grain bullets working very well on Varmints. Not seen any run off after being hit.

they must be brain/neck shot's if you are not talking about shooting little animals with big cals and bullets eg... rabbits or foxes, varmints with 180gr :lol:
l have witnessed many so called heart/lung shots with a 30-06 or bigger with hefty bullets that drop the animal only to see it get up and run off
it is the nature of that type of shot, anyone who does this shot knows that
that's the reason you need to know how to track the animal after this type of shot placement :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Nov 2019, 12:10 pm

"
After the change to the .30 Ball 150 grain bullet, all military 1903 Springfield rifles were recalled, the barrels cut back by one thread turn and were re-chambered for the modified cartridge. Barrel length of the final rifle configuration was 24”. Velocity of the 150 grain .30 Ball was 2700fps, recorded at 78ft (le Boulenge Chronograph) True muzzle velocity would have been 2780fps."

this backs uncle nicks claims that the 30-06 comes to life when hand loaded :thumbsup: these velocities are what l would expect from 180gr bullets"

Yeh, pretty sure Im getting 2600 or there abouts with a 22" barrel. (Mild load)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 08 Nov 2019, 2:55 pm

Okay, I’m kicking the can now MM , the 06 and 08 are just trying to outdo the 8x57 . It shoots a bigger bore for more energy transfer, came in a 98 Mauser , and shoots 170 -200 gn very well compared to the 308 . Uses less powder and less recoil than the 06 . The Europeans know how to design stuff, if ya want a smaller caliber for deer and such, 6.5x55 does the job

:P :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Nov 2019, 3:53 pm

I have nothing against the 308 or small penises for that matter...

Re ballistics - 6.5 vs 308.
6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 Ballistics - decent article comparing here.
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/65-cr ... inchester/
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 08 Nov 2019, 4:20 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I have nothing against the 308 or small penises for that matter...

Re ballistics - 6.5 vs 308.
6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 Ballistics - decent article comparing here.
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/65-cr ... inchester/

Yep pretty much confirms what I said an a few inches when you are talking three feet is nothing and in real life shooting what are you going to do try and hold off an extra four inches at 500 yrds on top of the 4 feet you are already holding off (Standing?) It is in the realm of target shooting and holding off is not done like that. The wind bucking capability yes again in the range of 1-2MOA. But when the wind gets up to really strong the textbook results are not always true.

The numbers in this article are indicative the results can vary considerably depending on what bullets are chosen and what speed they are shot at. There is very little in them especially in the field. I would say the velocities of the 308 are a bit slow on purpose so a point could be made.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifl ... d-match#!/

I have a 6.5C as I really wanted to see how the cartridge performed so I have been through the process.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics