Dickinson T1000 disassembly

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Dickinson T1000 disassembly

Post by linkoln » 07 Nov 2019, 5:03 pm

So I bought a Dickinson T1000 the other day and I enjoy it but I can't get the cocking handle off to clean the bolt. It has scratched up the bolt carrier and ejection port and pic rail trying to follow the basically useless instructions in the book using the screw driver.
Can anyone tell me how they get theirs off and maybe post some pictures if you can?
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: Dickinson T1000 disassembly

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Nov 2019, 4:05 pm

Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2020, 6:25 pm

linkoln wrote:So I bought a Dickinson T1000 the other day and I enjoy it but I can't get the cocking handle off to clean the bolt. It has scratched up the bolt carrier and ejection port and pic rail trying to follow the basically useless instructions in the book using the screw driver.
Can anyone tell me how they get theirs off and maybe post some pictures if you can?

I decided to tear my T1000 down for a thorough cleaning. All went very easily...until the damned bolt handle :-)
Yep, it's a pain. And I was sure it had been mentioned here before, so I searched and found this thread.

I eventually worked out that the bolt handle must be retained by a simple detent pin and spring (the end of it can be seen pinned into the front of the bolt) but nothing I tried had any effect all. I wound up wrapping an old wood chisel with insulation tape, jamming that under the bolt handle, putting _a lot_ of preload on it, then wiggling the bolt handle vigorously, until it finally popped out!
Dickinson T1000 Bolt Handle Detent Groove.jpg
Dickinson T1000 Bolt Handle Detent Groove.jpg (213.15 KiB) Viewed 2983 times

Dickinson T1000 Bolt Handle Detent Pin.jpg
Dickinson T1000 Bolt Handle Detent Pin.jpg (485.05 KiB) Viewed 2983 times

Once the bolt handle is out of the bolt, the bolt assembly will slide out the front of the receiver (or shoot across the room if you aren't expecting it) due to the return spring (wrapped around the magazine tube).
To then strip the bolt you need to punch out a roll pin through the rear of the bolt (be sure to cover the firing pin as it will shoot across the room when the roll pin is punched out) that retains the firing pin. Once the firing pin is removed, then you can press out the cam pin (you can access the bottom of it just visible under the bolt head with a small punch and push it out - it's not tight), and the bolt head comes out the front of the bolt.

It may be an idea to punch out the bolt handle detent pin and spring and round the face of it so it doesn't grab so tightly, but for now I'm just taking the edge off the detent groove in the bolt handle so it comes out with a lot less effort. One odd feature is that the extractor appears to be pinned with a roll pin in a blind hole, which would require removing the pin with a drill bit if you ever had to replace the extractor.

The cross-pin that retains the fire-control-group in the receiver is also a little tight but a light tap with a punch moves it okay. Although it has a groove at each end, it is only retained by one wire spring detent on the LHS of the FCG, so the pin can be inserted either end first.

Dickinson T1000 internals.jpg
Dickinson T1000 internals.jpg (356.72 KiB) Viewed 2983 times

After all this though I have to say that the bolt itself is still quite clean and appears to be mostly maintenance-free, burned powder residue and crud tends to accumulate around the bolt head, and a little inside the receiver, but doesn't migrate into the bolt itself. I think simply blowing compressed air through the receiver will clear out any debris without having to remove the bolt at all, and oil can be applied where needed. Debris mainly falls all through the fire-control-group so it's worth cleaning that regularly I think.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2020, 6:49 pm

See if this makes life a little easier next time.
Attachments
20200918_184712b.jpg
20200918_184712b.jpg (299.78 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.