6.5-284 Is it dead?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

6.5-284 Is it dead?

Post by perentie » 08 Nov 2019, 2:28 pm

Must be 20 years ago when we retired and moved to the country. We have a nice range here and I took my wife along to watch the Full Bore shooters.
A couple were just into F Class and my wife said that she could do that.
So I asked around and talked to a few and one Gunsmith said use the 6.5-284, it will clean them up.
So I bought a Rem 700, stuck it in an AICS chassis. Scrapped the plastic side stock bits and made an F Class flat bottom rig and the Gunsmith chambered a new SS barrel in 6.5-284. I bought a bunch of Lapua brass and Sierra Projectiles and case preparation stuff and she went on to win several Masters games comps and gave our guys a run for their money (Only female shooter)
Now about 5 barrels and 20 years later she had to give it up much to her disappointment.
I put the last 4 barrels in myself as I bought a reamer.
I have a new SS 6.5 barrel here and as my wife is not shooting anymore and I might need to sell the rifle, should I rechamber in 6.5-284 or just sell as is as it seems it is not so popular any more and the buyer might like it in 6.5 Creedmoor or something else.
Problem is I have a heap of new brass for it and case prep tools and dies that would then go to waste.
I am leaning towards just rebarreling in the 6.5-284 again , but is it still a viable competition round even though it is hard on barrels?
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 6.5-284 Is it dead?

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Nov 2019, 2:57 pm

Yep it is still i think.

Benchrest as s fclass guys still prefer the 285 types... prs which likes tacticool stuff.. which might not be better or worser
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Nov 2019, 3:37 pm

Ziad...mate...
I dont want to be the grammer police...
But...
I have to wonder sometimes...how long it would actually take & how hard it would be for you to read what you've written & correct it into a standard engrissh format before hitting the send button...
I mean, its just one line in that post... :unknown:

Sometimes when i get your gobbldee-gook, its just easier to move on...
and NO...!...im not talking about "worser"...
:)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 08 Nov 2019, 4:27 pm

Certainly not as popular as it once was. The extras might sell the rifle though. I dont mean to be mean but being a Rem 700 action is going to restrict its sale value into that market more than anything. I think you may get more selling all the parts separately and un chambered or with an offer to chamber it in that cartridge.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 08 Nov 2019, 7:00 pm

the 6.5x284 is far from dead :lol: it will still clean em up :lol:

IMHO this rifle has already paid for itself in 20 years of shooting and 5 barrels, you already have the gear why wouldn't you make it what it is :unknown:

it's never about the money for 6.5x284 shooters :thumbsup: as one myself l will tell you that l dont care if a 308 will not burn out as quick :lol:
l shoot the 6.5x284 because it is an extremely precise accurate world record breaking round and l reckon this is why your wife stuck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 08 Nov 2019, 7:31 pm

There is no doubt in that cartridge comparison, but a lot of shooters moved to the straight 284 and just about the world has moved to the 7mm SAUM in the area that Perenite is talking about a bit of a barrel burner itself and a bit hard on recoil hard on everything really. But those that are shooting for State and World spots are committed to spending big $.

The people that dont have those aspirations have moved to less 6.5,s and 7mm

its a pretty small market but I think it is growing again slowly fingers crossed if Clubs take action at grass roots.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 08 Nov 2019, 8:00 pm

you are right sungazer there is no comparison between the 6.5x284 and the 308 :lol:

l can see other cals suited for the application as well including the dasher or 300wsm but for the sake of moving this rifle on there is no gain in investing in a new reamer and or barrel when the OP already has a setup that will perform very well and sell in this area, the money has already been spent
for the sake of selling it may be wise to find a buyer and ask if they would prefer a 6.5x284 or 6.5 creedmore
l hate it when l hear that someone may need to sell there pride and joy, l hope l'm not reading to much into this
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bill » 08 Nov 2019, 9:33 pm

who does the 6.5 284 appeal too ???

who wants a shiny new 6.5 PRC .......
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 09 Nov 2019, 5:37 am

marksman wrote:you are right sungazer there is no comparison between the 6.5x284 and the 308 :lol:

l can see other cals suited for the application as well including the dasher or 300wsm but for the sake of moving this rifle on there is no gain in investing in a new reamer and or barrel when the OP already has a setup that will perform very well and sell in this area, the money has already been spent
for the sake of selling it may be wise to find a buyer and ask if they would prefer a 6.5x284 or 6.5 creedmore
l hate it when l hear that someone may need to sell there pride and joy, l hope l'm not reading to much into this

We have been married for 47 years and all the time I was shooting Black Powder she came and watched so it was good to find something she could do and liked. Started prone with rests then when that became to difficult I built her a mobile bench/trailer thing. It meant no more shooting away but she could use it here. Now thats over and she can hardly leave the house but has a stack of good memories.
I think you are right, I will just rebarrel in the same cal.
She also has a 700 in 6BR I built too. Just rebarreled it in case she got OK again but it has not even been run in yet plus two big Night Force scopes she chose.
Perhaps I will have a go at F Class one day.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Nov 2019, 6:09 am

You should count yourself lucky as hell to find a woman that enjoys your shooting passion - most are scared by the noise, etc - kudos.
Tell me she hunted gutted her own game, then tries to push you out of the kitchen to wash up and I’ll explode with jealousy. Hang on to the memories mate - ageing can be cruel, the alternate usually worse.
I agree with MM 100%. I’d try and retain what it is. You say you might try F class one day...mate - today is here. Go sign up. Maybe your wife could spot or be involved another way...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 09 Nov 2019, 6:37 am

Stix wrote:Ziad...mate...
But...
I have to wonder sometimes...how long it would actually take & how hard it would be for you to read what you've written & correct it into a standard engrissh format before hitting the send button...

Yeah stix , he gets me too . Makes me laugh but :lol: just one of the characters on here that makes it interesting :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Nov 2019, 6:43 am

Great calibers never die perentie , if they still do what they do, and the laws of physics haven’t changed, 6.5x284 will probably still outshoot everything. Stick with it
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 09 Nov 2019, 7:06 am

perentie wrote:Must be 20 years ago when we retired and moved to the country. We have a nice range here and I took my wife along to watch the Full Bore shooters.
A couple were just into F Class and my wife said that she could do that.
So I asked around and talked to a few and one Gunsmith said use the 6.5-284, it will clean them up.
So I bought a Rem 700, stuck it in an AICS chassis. Scrapped the plastic side stock bits and made an F Class flat bottom rig and the Gunsmith chambered a new SS barrel in 6.5-284. I bought a bunch of Lapua brass and Sierra Projectiles and case preparation stuff and she went on to win several Masters games comps and gave our guys a run for their money (Only female shooter)
Now about 5 barrels and 20 years later she had to give it up much to her disappointment.
I put the last 4 barrels in myself as I bought a reamer.
I have a new SS 6.5 barrel here and as my wife is not shooting anymore and I might need to sell the rifle, should I rechamber in 6.5-284 or just sell as is as it seems it is not so popular any more and the buyer might like it in 6.5 Creedmoor or something else.
Problem is I have a heap of new brass for it and case prep tools and dies that would then go to waste.
I am leaning towards just rebarreling in the 6.5-284 again , but is it still a viable competition round even though it is hard on barrels?

If indeed your intention is disposal then in terms of $'s you are probably better off selling the rifle with the worn barrel, the new barrel and the reamer each separately.
Regarding the 6.5-284, like all over hyped cartridges the fractional advantages they may offer to the shooter are often overwhelmed by their drawbacks.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Nov 2019, 7:29 am

bigrich wrote:Ziad...mate...
But...

Yeah stix , he gets me too . Makes me laugh but :lol: just one of the characters on here that makes it interesting :thumbsup:

Lol, i check it click reply and then the CIA.... or nameless people come and edit my posts later. So i suppose they don't like my genius.

Only thing is yesterday i think i did check the grammar and left it like that :crazy:

I use this site on the phone, and the keyboard usually autocorrects words after i type them, gets me too many times, but i am sort of set too much in the way i use the onscreen keyboard (hence look at my signature). If i am not feeling too lazy i will read and fix the errors, but at times i get distracted by life things.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 09 Nov 2019, 2:21 pm

TassieTiger wrote:You should count yourself lucky as hell to find a woman that enjoys your shooting passion - most are scared by the noise, etc - kudos.
Tell me she hunted gutted her own game, then tries to push you out of the kitchen to wash up and I’ll explode with jealousy. Hang on to the memories mate - ageing can be cruel, the alternate usually worse.
I agree with MM 100%. I’d try and retain what it is. You say you might try F class one day...mate - today is here. Go sign up. Maybe your wife could spot or be involved another way...

+1 :thumbsup: :drinks:

l hope everything works out for you and your wife mate :thumbsup:

and straightshooter :lol:
"like all over hyped cartridges" using the wrong bait mate :lol: :lol: :lol:

the 6.5-284 has been used extensively in benchrest competitions and is known as an extremely accurate long range round. using an improved version of the 6.5-284, Rich DeSimone set a 1,000-yard (914.4 m) world record with a 1.564-inch (39.73 mm) group.
its not just an outstanding competition cartridge it a very good one to hunt with :drinks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taRMw9NN8CU
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Nov 2019, 11:09 pm

Sometimes posters cover their insecurities with negative comments about other shooters choices and efforts. It makes me wonder if they have ever competed at any level. Over hyped cases do not make it in competition and short barrel life is is just the price of taking part. Even the most successful cases like the 6mm BR does not have a particularly long barrel life. This case may also have a fractional advantage with major drawbacks. Would it kill some people to make some positive contribution to others threads.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics