New gun owner advice and questions victoria

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

New gun owner advice and questions victoria

Post by Dunlopja » 08 Nov 2019, 6:39 pm

G'day lads I've had my cat A&B licence now for half a year and shot my .22 a handful of times but now can't do on the land as my mate has moved.

Where are the best spots to shot for a begginer besides a range in victoria? And even meeting fellow shooters to learn from

Also what is the highest caliber we're legally allowed to have? I'm really into my WW1&2 guns and want to purchase a .303 soon but unsure where I'll be allowed to shoot it and does it come under a collector's licence?

Apologies for not knowing much but after injuring my leg from sport I want to now further shooting as my hobby

Cheers legends
Dunlopja
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New gun owner advice and questions victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 09 Nov 2019, 12:58 pm

How you going and welcome mate.
This might help answer some collector licence questions

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=10342

There's 7 squillion times more knowledge here on where to hunt in Victoria than what I know but contacting the Game Management Authority would be a start

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/

Good luck and what sport did your leg in?
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Nov 2019, 1:47 pm

Dunlopja wrote:G'day lads I've had my cat A&B licence now for half a year and shot my .22 a handful of times but now can't do on the land as my mate has moved.

Where are the best spots to shot for a begginer besides a range in victoria? And even meeting fellow shooters to learn from

Also what is the highest caliber we're legally allowed to have? I'm really into my WW1&2 guns and want to purchase a .303 soon but unsure where I'll be allowed to shoot it and does it come under a collector's licence?

Apologies for not knowing much but after injuring my leg from sport I want to now further shooting as my hobby

Cheers legends

What area are you in? I'm down in Gippsland.

Have you spoken to the people now occupying your mate's property, or the neighbouring properties?

In Victoria we can own up .50BMG as far as I'm aware, in cartridges, but blackpowder gets much bigger. .303 is no problem at all. A collector's licence hugely restricts what you can do with the firearms, and is dependent on you maintaining club membership to keep the firearms. You can't take the firearms hunting or shoot them anywhere except at events held at approved collectors clubs. The biggest benefit to a collector's licence is owning handguns without being tied to having to attend club shoots to keep them. I considered a collector's licence purely for that reason, but am sure they would be even more insistent that I transfer my milsurps to a collector licence if I held one.

As long as you can show genuine reason to own a CatB firearm you will have no trouble getting it, or as many as you desire .50BMG for example requires membership in a club that is allowed to shoot it. Most clubs seem to have an 8mm template, basically restricting them to nothing bigger than 8mm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunlopja » 09 Nov 2019, 2:36 pm

Ecobogan wrote:How you going and welcome mate.
This might help answer some collector licence questions

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=10342

There's 7 squillion times more knowledge here on where to hunt in Victoria than what I know but contacting the Game Management Authority would be a start

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/

Good luck and what sport did your leg in?

Cheers mate thanks for that, yeah I've had a look through some of the threads but it's very overwhelming whilst new to this and trying to find direct answers.

I'll definantly check gma out! Ah basketball mate second acl tear in 4 years
Dunlopja
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 09 Nov 2019, 2:59 pm

Blade's the walking encyclopedia round here mate, hit him up. Wheelstand and roof framing tips also available, not kidding.
Did a good 'arm pump, couldn't back off 80m long mono' up a steep hill on the YZ yesterday without much say in it. Seriously couldn't move my hands. Wasn't boring.
Anyway... carry on
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dunlopja » 09 Nov 2019, 3:01 pm

What area are you in? I'm down in Gippsland.

Have you spoken to the people now occupying your mate's property, or the neighbouring properties?

In Victoria we can own up .50BMG as far as I'm aware, in cartridges, but blackpowder gets much bigger. .303 is no problem at all. A collector's licence hugely restricts what you can do with the firearms, and is dependent on you maintaining club membership to keep the firearms. You can't take the firearms hunting or shoot them anywhere except at events held at approved collectors clubs. The biggest benefit to a collector's licence is owning handguns without being tied to having to attend club shoots to keep them. I considered a collector's licence purely for that reason, but am sure they would be even more insistent that I transfer my milsurps to a collector licence if I held one.

As long as you can show genuine reason to own a CatB firearm you will have no trouble getting it, or as many as you desire .50BMG for example requires membership in a club that is allowed to shoot it. Most clubs seem to have an 8mm template, basically restricting them to nothing bigger than 8mm.[/quote]

I live in Clyde mate, he used to live in kinglake but neighbours are all greenies

Okay that's good cause I have my eye on the .303 would really like to get an Enfield or lithgow but can't find the manufacturer dates on them etc? I've been on vicpols website for answers but not sure I'm reading it right or looking in the right places, I don't want to be limited to only shooting as certain events
Dunlopja
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Nov 2019, 3:06 pm

Well you can shoot 22lr as Springvale. There is a range in moe or towards nyora... both are vra ranges and only open limited times.

Some state forests you can hunt and shoot... bus great area only allowed to hunt and sight in rifle no plinking.

So if you are rural and have a few acres in Clyde you are in luck... but with the development going on.it is only time until you will not be able to.

Buy a property yourself and move with the family
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Nov 2019, 4:04 pm

Dunlopja wrote:I live in Clyde mate, he used to live in kinglake but neighbours are all greenies

Okay that's good cause I have my eye on the .303 would really like to get an Enfield or lithgow but can't find the manufacturer dates on them etc? I've been on vicpols website for answers but not sure I'm reading it right or looking in the right places, I don't want to be limited to only shooting as certain events

I've been through both areas but am not familiar with them. Clyde looks pretty rural on the satellite pics, you can't find anywhere around there?

I have a Lithgow No.1MkIII* and a Longbranch No.4Mk1*, both WW2 production.
20190222_180335b.jpg
20190222_180335b.jpg (245.01 KiB) Viewed 2933 times

I don't know when they manufactured Lee-Enfield rifles at the Enfield factory but Skennerton would know.
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Skennerton&_sacat=0&_sop=15

As long as your licence allows Hunting and Target you won't need to join any clubs to shoot. But if you're into milsurps it might be worth joining the Military Rifle Club - https://vicmrc.com/ - or at least going for a look.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunlopja » 09 Nov 2019, 5:54 pm

Nah very built up now between farmland mate
f*** they are a beauty, so you have them under the collectors licence correct?
Okay mate I'll have a sus
Dunlopja
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Nov 2019, 6:15 pm

Dunlopja wrote:Nah very built up now between farmland mate
f*** they are a beauty, so you have them under the collectors licence correct?
Okay mate I'll have a sus

Nope, I don't have a collectors licence, these are all CatB so I can shoot them whenever I feel the need to.
My M96 and M38 Swedes. (I still need an M94 Carbine!)
20190222_180340b.jpg
20190222_180340b.jpg (239.93 KiB) Viewed 2913 times

My M1904's and M1904/39's.
20190222_180347b.jpg
20190222_180347b.jpg (180.06 KiB) Viewed 2913 times

My M1891/30 Mosin and M39 Finn. And M1903-A3 and Kar98k.
20190222_180358b.jpg
20190222_180358b.jpg (245.91 KiB) Viewed 2913 times

My M1903 Turk (I have removed the recoil pad), and a sporterised Turk, And Type38 Arisaka short rifle and M95 Steyr Dutch Mannlicher.
20190222_180407b.jpg
20190222_180407b.jpg (261.68 KiB) Viewed 2913 times

And the M91/38 Carcano short rifle.
20190222_180411b.jpg
20190222_180411b.jpg (183.05 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Nov 2019, 8:05 pm

G'day bladeracer,
Good to see the bayonet in it's proper place!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Nov 2019, 8:12 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bladeracer,
Good to see the bayonet in it's proper place!

That's about the only one that fits in the safes with the bayonet in place :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Nov 2019, 8:37 pm

That’s a cool as collective...I bet each one has its own quirks and individual feel. You must have to park close to the bench or use a wheel barrow.
I’ve been watching a lot of old war docs of late - the west, us civil war, ww1, ww2, Korea, Vietnam...amazing to see the rifles they used.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 09 Nov 2019, 8:49 pm

TassieTiger wrote:That’s a cool as collective...I bet each one has its own quirks and individual feel. You must have to park close to the bench or use a wheel barrow.
I’ve been watching a lot of old war docs of late - the west, us civil war, ww1, ww2, Korea, Vietnam...amazing to see the rifles they used.

I still have a lot more non-milsurps than I do milsurps unfortunately :-(
The individuality of each specific rifle, and the aspects of the different cartridges are a big interest of mine. Seeing how each rifle and cartridge was designed to have specific advantages, which are often redundant before it even reaches the front lines.

Never been to a range, but when I want to take out more than I can carry I have to take the ute or the RatBarrow.

I'm hoping I can do a lever-action shoot when the Rossi arrives, get the .38, .357, .44, .30-30 and the .22 levers out all together.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation