The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by Micksta » 09 Mar 2019, 3:34 pm

G'Day everyone
my names Mick
The wife and I went to Cairns for our wedding anniversary, we love it up there, we're from vic.
While exploring we went to the Artillery Museum in cairns, awesome place.
Shot a couple rifles at there indoor range and fell in love with shooting on the spot.
done a bit of plinking and shot a few clays at other places.

The paperwork for my licence has been sent and now awaiting some good news hopefully.

looking at a 22lr as my first bolt action rifle, and build up from there.
later on I'd love to give long range targets a go.

Since we're renting I'll have to ask the landlords if I can bolt a safe in the house (the missus hasn't come around to the idea yet)
If not I'll have to look at offsite storage.

I've learnt a fair bit about laws and meanings here while undergoing my safety course (was lurking for a while)
Can't wait to get out to the range and field.

Mick
Micksta
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Mar 2019, 5:09 pm

Welcome To the mad house Mick,

Try and twist your landlords arm - it’s a bit of a pain having off site storage... sometimes you just want to check or look at something on a rifle or prep for a coming day out and about...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Chappo » 09 Mar 2019, 5:17 pm

A 150kg (or more) gun safe doesn’t have to be fixed to anything in nsw. Dunno about Victoria but worth looking into?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Micksta » 11 Mar 2019, 8:31 am

Under 150kg unloaded has to be fixed to the premises.

We get along really well with our land lords so i dont see it as a big issue, i reckon they will say yes, but its the wife that ill have to convince.
I do have other options like a couple of mates have firearms, nothing about a cat B so thats alright.

Give it time i say.
Micksta
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Hammar » 08 Apr 2019, 5:20 pm

Hi diddily ho everyone.
Just got my probationary pistol licence (after 4. BLOODY. MONTHS!), already eagerly counting down the months till I can apply for my permits to acquire. Anyone recommend some good air pistols? Have a Unique DES 69 ready for me to try thanks to a family-friend.
Remember, even when those who move you be kings, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice.
Hammar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JeffM » 09 Apr 2019, 9:14 am

Greetings Earthlings.
Thought i would do the ol intro thingy.
Shot alot in my younger years, till i found beer and woman, but now it's just the beer. So i need something to occupy my mind as well as my OCD nature.
Wife suggested i get back into killing paper.
I have a Howa .223 SS Varmint Short Action 1-9 twist matched to a GRS laminate stock with a 6x24x50 Bushy mounted on top.
Also a Ruger American Target .22 with a Bushy AR223 to look through, after 2 warranty problems with feeding issues it shoots amazingly.
I have started loading my own .223 and getting some success, I managed to get hold of a 2nd hand set up with single Hornady press, RCBS dies, extractor, powder, projectiles, primers, powder thrower and about 5000 cases.
Because i have a "must win" mentality i have been playing with pill weights and styles, powders, seating depths, OAL, COL & COAL, power weights and generally sending Dr Google into melt down.
Anywho glad to be in an Australian Shooting Forum, i like it so far.

JeffM
JeffM
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RichardB6 » 18 Apr 2019, 8:20 pm

hello all peeps :)
RichardB6
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by mickb » 21 Apr 2019, 11:06 pm

Hi Richard, I'm fairly new too.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Chipsy » 01 May 2019, 3:56 pm

Hi All.
Just joined thought I'd drop in and say hi.
Did a bit as a kid and now years later keen to get back into it.
How times have changed compared to hunting on the farm as a kid.
22LR L101 on order. Will look at other options when I work out what pest control I end up chasing.
Plan of doing a bit of the range/plinking in short term and looking forward to getting into hunting again down the track.
Looks like a great forum.
Cheers
Chipsy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hunter257 » 02 May 2019, 3:17 pm

Hi Guys,

found this thread and thought I would post and say hello
been shooting for a couple of years now and enjoy both hunting and target
so far have bought / acquired
Howa 1500 APC in 6.5 Creedmoor with Bushnell Extreme 6-24x50
Tikka T3 in .222 with Weaver 6.5-20x44 AO
Ruger Gunsite Scout in 5.56 with UTC 4x32
Ruger Precision Rimfire in 22LR with Bushnell Legend 4.5*14x44
Sportco 62S in 22LR with Hakko 4x40
Sportco 90 pump in 22LR with Hakko 4 x 15
Miroku Lever in 22LR
Bentley 12 Gauge side by side
Gamo Viper Express in .22

yep quite an eclectic collection
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 May 2019, 11:24 pm

G'day & welcome to all you guys...
Dont be shy...dive in...!!
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by actrosboss » 13 May 2019, 10:05 pm

Hi all. I'm the latest edition newbie.

Just a keen bean to get into hunting.

Regular at my local range but trying to feed up on knowledge so I can hit the outdoors. Ideally VIC hi country ❤️

So yeah, hi all :)
ATA 686B 12GA
Ruger Precision Rifle .308
CZ452 Sporter. 22lr
actrosboss
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 15 May 2019, 12:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I have had my application in for just over 8 weeks and have 2 guns waiting patiently for me at the shop. I'll be doing a mixture of hunting and target shooting
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by landyvlad » 01 Aug 2019, 12:31 pm

Hi everyone.

I just found this forum today, so I figured I'd pop in and have a look.
Undoubtedly those who also are members over at AHN will know me.

I've been shooting since I was at high school - back in the late 80s and well before the demonisation we suffered in 1996 (and still do). All of the firearms I had back then became illegal in pretty short order. Pump action shotguns, semi auto rifles and a handgun I had.

Fast forward to now and the safe contains relatively few firearms. I've sold a few of late. All my rifles are bolt guns - a Brno and Ruger both 22LR, a 243 A-Bolt and 30-06 A-Bolt.. I've got a Brno/CZ SxS 12G shotgun., a Yildiz SxS 410 and an old Liege hammer gun also 12G that I'm doing up for use with black powder cartridges.

Gone, and lamented but necessary financially at the time, two Ruger #1's in 375 H&H, a Ruger #1 in 303 British and a Beretta Silver Pigeon V O/U 12G shotgun ( a real looker than one! )..

Two other important beliefs:
1. John Howard is the devil.
2. John Wayne is God.

I have a mind-numbingly boring full time office job to pay the bill;, and as a sideline I run "Buy Used Guns"

So that's me... G'day !
landyvlad
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nomis » 01 Aug 2019, 4:55 pm

G'Day everyone,

I'm a brand new shooter who is sort of figuring it all out as I go. I am now licensed and my first two PTAs arrived today which means I should have my first two rifles in the safe tomorrow night!

I'm a history teacher by day and I collect a lot of militaria and other historical stuff so my gun collection will mostly be an extension of that. I live in Shepparton in Victoria but will be doing most of my shooting at SSAA Eagle Park due to storing my guns in Ballarat.

My first two rifles are a 1960s Krico 22LR and a 1905 production Carl Gustaf M96 Mauser. Very much looking forward to getting into this new hobby!

Nomis.
Nomis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Aug 2019, 12:43 am

Welcome to the nuthouse to all recent joiners - lots of great info and help here - lots of really good peeps and the occasional arsehole lol. (Just kidding, they are more than occasional - I’m joking!!!)
Welcome
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by scoot » 09 Aug 2019, 11:52 am

Hey everyone,
Been creeping around stalking this forum for a while now and thought I should join in.Great source of stories & info.
I'm more into chasing ferals as opposed to target work. like most I never get out enough though so any chance I get for shot is enjoyed no matter what form it comes.
Hopefully I can contribute positively to the forum. :drinks:
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Skippy84 » 15 Aug 2019, 8:34 am

G'day
Been on the forum reading through and getting info but have a few questions i can't seem to find answers to so thought i better introduce myself before posting any questions. I live in far north QLD shooting pigs on cane and banana farms plus travelling regularly out west culling roos. Don't own enough guns there's always one more i must have haha. I reload for all my guns looking at getting into progressive presses as i now shoot handguns as well.
Skippy84
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Kadmium » 16 Aug 2019, 5:36 am

Howdy. My name is Kadmium, and I have a problem. Hopefully it only gets worse :crazy:

Been a long time lurker, figured I would contribute!
CZ452 - .22LR
Marlin 336 - 30-30
Tika T3 - .308
Hatsan - 12G
Coming soon - ???
Kadmium
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jack Ryan » 06 Oct 2019, 2:07 pm

Howdy Gents. Just an Indiana fella out wandering around the globe. Thought I'd stop in and have a look.
Free men own guns. Slaves don't.
Jack Ryan
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Clem » 22 Oct 2019, 12:50 pm

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster.
Good to see you all.....
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 22 Oct 2019, 1:44 pm

G'day Clem... :drinks:

Pretty cool picture... :clap:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Callee » 09 Nov 2019, 8:20 pm

Hi All,

SA rifle and shotgun shooter (36yo female). Just getting back into itafter a couple of years break with intentions of competing next year.

Biggest piece of help I could get right now would be I would love a quiet peaceful place for practicing target.
Any SA folks no somewhere within a couple of hours of Adelaide that’s not crowded?
I’ll happily pay in cash (or beer lol) to rent a space on weekends.
I’m a really respectful and quiet.

Anyway, looking forward to exchanging with you all, and might see some of you in the comps.
Callee
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 10 Nov 2019, 9:19 am

Hi Callee.

Being a QLD’er I can’t help you with place to practice in SA, but wanted to welcome you to the forum nonetheless.
Great to see some female shooters on here. Enjoy.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Zacnoel » 10 Nov 2019, 4:33 pm

Hi guys

New to the forum , have been out of the sport for about 20 years and have jumped back in boots and all.
Currently rifles Rem 700 30-06, weatherby Vanguard .223, savage B17 17HMR
And the reloading bench from hell. All the gear no idea. Well maybe some
Zacnoel
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 11 Nov 2019, 6:46 am

I realised I never introduced myself, so hey guys and girls.

A mate has offered to take me hunting for goat meat to make sausages, so I've been waiting on a license since August and buying gear as I wait.

I've been reading and learning a lot on here and other places, so thanks to the admin and of course all the knowledgeable contributors!
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by geoff » 11 Nov 2019, 1:42 pm

I'm geoff, i shoot in WA

Currently own a 243, a couple rimfires, a shogtun and a revolver i shoot in Std Revolver match

I'm building up my 243 to get into some longer range target shooting, most of my shooting at the moment is ute based culling and harvesting with a bit of plinking on the side
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 11 Nov 2019, 10:06 pm

geoff wrote:I'm geoff, i shoot in WA

Currently own a 243, a couple rimfires, a shogtun and a revolver i shoot in Std Revolver match

I'm building up my 243 to get into some longer range target shooting, most of my shooting at the moment is ute based culling and harvesting with a bit of plinking on the side

Welcome a Geoff. It is good to see another West Australian on the site. Especially a fellow .243 owner. They are a very versatile cartridge in W.A.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 12 Nov 2019, 11:20 am

Callee wrote:Hi All,

SA rifle and shotgun shooter (36yo female). Just getting back into itafter a couple of years break with intentions of competing next year.

Biggest piece of help I could get right now would be I would love a quiet peaceful place for practicing target.
Any SA folks no somewhere within a couple of hours of Adelaide that’s not crowded?
I’ll happily pay in cash (or beer lol) to rent a space on weekends.
I’m a really respectful and quiet.

Anyway, looking forward to exchanging with you all, and might see some of you in the comps.

Hi Callee, welcome...

Id hazzard a guess its unlijely people will offer up their properties for you to shoot on...many people (including myself) have issues with regular shooting here due to lack of reasonably prices & available options.

Are you involved in a club here at the moment...?

What sort of range (distance) do you want to shoot, how often & how many of you are there...?

:)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Spanielz11 » 12 Nov 2019, 11:37 am

G'day all,

Been shooting for a good few years now, as most know, once you get bitten by the bug theres no stopping the passion.
Been back and forth to this forum plenty of times over the years, there is just a fantastic wealth of information and knowledge here from other Aussie shooters. Finally stopped lurking in the back and figured i would come forward and say G'day.

Best of luck in everyones hunting and competition ventures
If its big and fast, I wanna know all about it
Weatherby MkV - .220 Swift
Remington Sendero - .300 RUM
AIA M10B2 - .308 Win
Musgrave - .308 Win
Weatherby Vanguard - .223 Rem
Remington 788 - .222 Rem
Stirling 14 - .22 LR
Spanielz11
Recruit
Recruit