Getting rust off of a Rifle

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Getting rust off of a Rifle

Post by Sldig » 14 Nov 2019, 9:57 pm

Just inherited an 1891 Model Argentine Mauser, rifle is in good working order fired a round through it to check, still not sure if it was bravery or stupidity but anyway. Not sure where my grandfather kept it but it does have some rust spots on the barrel and bolt, they do not appear to have actually penetrated the metal, what is the safest and least destructive way to remove them? What do you say about this https://rustconverters.net/drx-rust-rem ... te-review/ . Thanks.
Last edited by Sldig on 21 Nov 2019, 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sldig
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Re: Getting rust off of a Rifle

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Nov 2019, 11:32 am

G'day Sldig,
A couple of methods used by collectors to remove rust spots without damaging the original blueing include rubbing with a copper coin and fine oil (Singer or 3 in 1), or using coarse stainless steel pot scrubbers and oil. The trick is to be gentle and patient, practice on an underside first, or another type of rifle altogether, then move to your Argie, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 15 Nov 2019, 2:01 pm

So...im no collector at all, nor have i 'restored' any guns...so asvice from the likes of the experience above is probably better...

However, for what its worth.. :)
A few of my older rifles, such as an old Rem 788, brno mod 2 & a martini all have surface rust in various places--infact the entire face/cheeks of the martini action has a lovely patina of surface rust in matter of a day if put away without an oily wipe over...

To get it off, ive found a good fubbing with a 'stiff' or harsh cotton & light oil to do the trick.

By stiff or harsh, i mean along the lines of a cotton drill, or a cotton canvas type material...NOT a flanelette...

Inbetwwen rubbings/coats, i do wipe away with a flanelette type rag tho...i find that gets into the microscopic divets better...

I just keep going with different spots on the rag, wiping old rusty brown oil away & adding new oil, until getting little to no brown on section of clean rag.

While rust is the enemy of guns, i have to say, my Martini looks its smashing best after a session of hard rubbing with light oil & cotton drill...the patina left from removing surface rust on an old rifle just gives such a warm classy look to any rifle...makes me want to pick it up & play with it, then i have to clean off finger prints again... :lol:

Its such a shame we live in a society full of fukwits...
Nothing beats the beautiful patina on an old rifle hanging on a wall...!!

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1_49er » 15 Nov 2019, 3:13 pm

Sldig wrote:Just inherited an 1891 Model Argentine Mauser, rifle is in good working order fired a round through it to check, still not sure if it was bravery or stupidity but anyway. Not sure where my grandfather kept it but it does have some rust spots on the barrel and bolt, they do not appear to have actually penetrated the metal, what is the safest and least destructive way to remove them?

Home Depot. Fine Bronze wire-wool. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-Fine- ... /100185012
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 15 Nov 2019, 4:19 pm

sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2019, 6:44 pm

0000 steel wool with oil, that what the professionals use. You can even use it in the bore of an old rifle, wrapped around a brush and with lots of oil. Will take rust out of a bore and also stubborn leading.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 15 Nov 2019, 6:51 pm

i've had success with autosol but l like the ideas in that vid sungazer put up :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by snag » 15 Nov 2019, 8:04 pm

Stainless steel pot scourer and Ballistol, works every time.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Varmtr » 22 Feb 2020, 11:17 pm

Sldig
Why don't you rust blue it. Which is converting the rust already there to magnetite, this is how guns were blued before hot blue came in. This is also how I blue guns as well. Its very possible and most likely your Argentine is rust blued.
If there are any pits you wont be able to get to the rust down in them. So it either grind down the bottom of the pits ( bubba job ) or convert.
Google Anvil Gunsmithing youtube blue or not to blue and watch there is a couple of other vids he has about doing this.
All it takes is steam or the way I do it is boiling demin water / distilled water to convert.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 23 Feb 2020, 7:54 am

Gamerancher wrote:0000 steel wool with oil, that what the professionals use. You can even use it in the bore of an old rifle, wrapped around a brush and with lots of oil. Will take rust out of a bore and also stubborn leading.

X2.
When I started collecting old guns back in the 50,s My Mother subscribed to Gun Digest for me.
Steel wool and Plus Gas was the advice back then.
I still use Steel wool with WD 40 or similar today. I like the patina from a rust finish more than a modern blue finish on an old gun.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 23 Feb 2020, 8:26 am

G96 claims to remove rust.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Feb 2020, 12:28 pm

Thanks for posting the link Sungazer, best vid I have seen.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 23 Feb 2020, 6:24 pm

The guy on that Anvil channel does some really good work and he goes into detail of all the techniques from fixing up screws to just everything. I dont have the patience to watch a lot of stuff on you tube and not seen all of his but what I have seen is great. I would go there if I have any projects in the future.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Gunsmithing