Howa .223 mini action magzine problem

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa .223 mini action magzine problem

Post by kelvin_024 » 01 Dec 2019, 5:27 pm

Hi guys, I've picked up a Howa .223 mini action with ORYX chassis, it looks pretty nice but the bolt doesn't pick up the bullets properly, sometimes jams and sometimes goes above the bullet, that really frustrated me, just wanna know if there's anybody have had the same problem? I reckon it might be magzine or bolt problem, do you know how to fix it or I need to send the rifle back? TIA
Howa 223REM mini action Oryx
kelvin_024
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Howa .223 mini action magzine problem

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Dec 2019, 7:59 am

Take it back to where you bought it from and get them to investigate the problem.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bill » 02 Dec 2019, 8:27 am

Sounds like a chassis and action spacing problem, Ive owned 3 Howa mini and have had zero issues with mag feed and picking up rounds.

Have you got a spare magazine to test ? was the chassis bought new with the action as a package ?
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by kelvin_024 » 02 Dec 2019, 3:14 pm

Bill wrote:Sounds like a chassis and action spacing problem, Ive owned 3 Howa mini and have had zero issues with mag feed and picking up rounds.

Have you got a spare magazine to test ? was the chassis bought new with the action as a package ?

Yes mate, I bought the chassis with it as a package, I've ordered another magzine see if replace it could fix the problem.
ps: it's a 10 rounds magzine
Howa 223REM mini action Oryx
kelvin_024
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Strikey » 02 Dec 2019, 6:19 pm

You will need to take a bit off the bolt stop to allow the bolt to actually come back further to pick up a cartridge from the mag.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 02 Dec 2019, 8:23 pm

Strikey wrote:You will need to take a bit off the bolt stop to allow the bolt to actually come back further to pick up a cartridge from the mag.

I think that can be a problem with the Standard action Howa when put into a Chassis. The Mini is a different and with the Oryx chassis it runs the factory Mini action magazine.

If it's new the magazine should be under warranty.

I currently have my 6.5 Grendel in the Oryx chassis. I did have my 204 (same magazine as 223) in the Oryx chassis at the start and I don't recall any feeding problems.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles