spotting scope

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

spotting scope

Post by Faedy » 02 Dec 2019, 11:53 pm

Im in the market for a middle of the road spotting scope.
Keen for pointers in brands - say $500 budget
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: spotting scope

Post by straightshooter » 03 Dec 2019, 6:57 am

Even cheapie spotting scopes these days have reasonably OK optics. It all depends on just how demanding you are.
The demands on a spotting scope are completely different to those on a rifle scope.
I would strongly recommend you examine in person any scope model you may consider buying and bear in mind that you may get a better deal at, for example, a photography shop than a gun shop.
Avoid any that have a rubberised paint coating. It goes tacky and then sticky after a few years. It can be cleaned off but you also lose any lettering in the process.
Although better quality manufactured goods are now commonplace out of China don't ignore the possibility of buying higher end Euro or Japan optics second hand in your price range.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 03 Dec 2019, 7:51 am

I bought a tasco 20-60 for ~$200 (cant remember the exact price or the objective lens size). Its not too bad at the 20-30x magnification, but once you go beyond that it's
not very clear. I suppose this is where the higher end products would shine. If you're dropping $500 on a unit, I can't imagine it would be a bad unit.
Sorry I don't know much about spotting scopes or brands, just thought I'd add my 2 bob.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 03 Dec 2019, 11:26 am

Setting a "ball park" price limit is not really rational. What are your specific requirements?
What do you want to see? 22LR at 25 mtr/yd. 300WM at 500yd. There are horses for courses.
Years ago I started with a scope that resolved 6mmPPC fairly well at 200mtr. Discipline changes needed an upgrade and a Leupold 20-40x joined the kit. Now, that's not enough and I'm in the market for a 60x Kowa.
Define your needs - that will set the price.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 03 Dec 2019, 12:37 pm

Been using Redfield Rampage 20-60x80 for several years. Great value for money and comes with an unconditional lifetime warranty no matter how you break it.
I can see bullet hits on our clubs 600 yard gong no problem.
Get a decent tripod. They effect your view a great deal. In fact to the point of seeing your hits or not been useable at all on a windy day. Mass matters. I bought a Zomei with a fluid head, QD mount tripod off eBay for $130 and it’s been a great piece of gear.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Dec 2019, 5:07 pm

The Celestron Regal is a decent budget spotting scope.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges