BRNO Mod 2 accuracy

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: BRNO Mod 2 accuracy

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Oct 2019, 8:05 pm

Oldbloke wrote:No it isnt free floating. Do u blokes think i should i?
Tried
cci
Win subs
Rws. Club
Win bushman
Win power point

Few others i cant remember.

Any suggestions?

PS. Trigger is ok. No complaints

Have you changed the trigger spring to something lighter? It helps. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Oct 2019, 8:07 pm

Ive had it from new (40 yrs) Never shot well. But semi retired now so have some more time to play. Ill try the washer or credit card trick. But got a feeling I tried that yrs ago.

What ammo suggestions do you blokes have?

Do i need to clean between ammo brands or just shoot a few to wax up prior to testing?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Oct 2019, 8:57 pm

Yes mate, changed the trigger spring yrs ago. Mmmm from memory its 2.5 lb.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by peterclark » 03 Oct 2019, 8:03 pm

The Brno Model 2 has been produced in a number of variants including heavy ‘varmint’ barrels, reduced dimensions for young shooters and even a full-stock version. There is sufficient space in front of the foresight to accept threading but it would be necessary to remove the foresight completely if you wanted to fit a model that sleeved back.
peterclark

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2019, 3:13 pm

Sooo, decided to slug it in both directions. . Result was obviously very tight in the throat. This would result in the bullet "rattling" down the barrel.
So decided to scrub it out. After about 4 hrs a heap of eds red and a few doses of sweets its much cleaner. Have worn out 2 bronze brushes in the process, but still the last 12mm or so a bit tight still. But much improved.

Will continue to clean today. Free float using the bussiness card trick. Buy more ammo and retry in a few weeks.

P.S. Trigger is 2lb.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 04 Oct 2019, 3:59 pm

its a bad thing for a 22 to be tight at the throat but it is a good thing for a 22 to be tight at the muzzle
good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Oct 2019, 4:15 pm

Thats pretty interesting and a good warning for the rest of us that dont do much cleaning of the old 22s. It certainly makes sense when it goes bang even if it not a very big bang there is still going to be carbon blown forward. Not all of that is going to be cleaned out by wax and the next bullet.

There really is nothing like measuring things to be able to then make decisions on. I really had this shown to me when the gunsmith used a set of bore dimension gauges. He used them in the muzzle end to find out how much needed to be taken off the barrel so he could recrown the barrel at the nominal bore dimension.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2019, 6:42 pm

So, I reckon this is about patch # 40. Still a bit to go. Throat is still tight.

patch 40.jpg
patch 40.jpg (42.32 KiB) Viewed 6316 times

Starting to wonder about never cleaning a 22lr?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Oct 2019, 6:53 pm

You could think about a Nylon brush on a drill. If you dont have any bore paste type cleaners you can also use Autosol on a patch on top of a Nylon brush. Not my invention a common cleaning technique amongst the old boys.

You may have the black ring or doughnut just in front of the case near the throat common in CF a carbon deposit that can build up to critical levels if not constantly kept on top of it. once you know about it you just clean in that area a bit more each clean and it never gets started.

Just think how she will shoot one it is clean and of course re fouled. That part always does my head in. I clean the barrel as spotless as I can then it needs 2-3 shots to get back to perfect consistency.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by in2anity » 04 Oct 2019, 7:20 pm

It’s dumb not cleaning a 22. There, I said it. :silent:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2019, 7:47 pm

sungazer wrote:You could think about a Nylon brush on a drill. If you dont have any bore paste type cleaners you can also use Autosol on a patch on top of a Nylon brush. Not my invention a common cleaning technique amongst the old boys.

You may have the black ring or doughnut just in front of the case near the throat common in CF a carbon deposit that can build up to critical levels if not constantly kept on top of it. once you know about it you just clean in that area a bit more each clean and it never gets started.

Just think how she will shoot one it is clean and of course re fouled. That part always does my head in. I clean the barrel as spotless as I can then it needs 2-3 shots to get back to perfect consistency.

Yes, tight just a few mm into the barrel. But could be lead rather than carbon s**t.
The rest of the barrel feels good now.

Do u mean Autosol metal polish?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Oct 2019, 8:49 pm

Yes thats the one a you put a patch around a nylon brush with a bit of Hoppes on the patch or whatever your cleaner is and a smear of the Autosol on the patch. You give the chamber end the first 6 inchs about 6 short 6 inch passes and then give the complete barrel about 3-4 full passes back and forward.

Like everything with cleaning you have to adjust the regime to suit what you have in the barrel.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2019, 3:20 pm

Well I did sungazers trick but used "silvo". As I already had it. Also used bronze brush with a drill at the throat.

Definately improved but still a bit tight at the throat for first 12 mm.

Floated the barrel using the bussiness card trick. Recrowned using 400 grit and oil.

Will hopefully report back in a few weeks with a better result.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 Oct 2019, 3:44 pm

Im no expert...obviously...but be careful with a bronze brush spinning around on a drill in the throat...id keep to back & forth directional movements myself...

I once de-leaded my brno & it took months...i even bought that lead removing cloth...but ultimately just back & forth with a stiff brush to rip it off & you'll eventually get there...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2019, 4:01 pm

Stix wrote:Im no expert...obviously...but be careful with a bronze brush spinning around on a drill in the throat...id keep to back & forth directional movements myself...

Yeh, thats what i did
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Oct 2019, 6:54 pm

autosol is a plant based compound not much different to JB bore clean paste, they will not hurt your bore
but when using it too often understand that the bore if it is too clean the projectile will act like tires on ice and not seal properly for a bit till the shine is covered in fowling
when using it to polish throats you should keep the polishing around the throat area
if you have built up a carbon ring at the throat a paste is IMHO the best way to get rid of it as well as a good soak with carby cleaner
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Nov 2019, 6:26 pm

So,,, thought i would follow up with the results of my tests using my 1977 Mod2 Bruno. To cut the mustard i purchased a new Bushnell 3-9×40 limited edition. The Tasco world class 2-7×30 must have been faulty from new as the amount of use it had was little indeed. It had become apparent the scope was probably causing part of the problem.

I tried about 10 types/brands of ammo. And tried floating the barrel using the business card trick.

In the end RWS Club come up trumps. In fact once i decided it was the best and shot a few groups is seemed to gradually improve. This is the last group i shot today with no change to the original bedding.

20191128_180244.jpg
20191128_180244.jpg (684.47 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 28 Nov 2019, 8:08 pm

50m group OB?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Nov 2019, 8:11 pm

51 meters. In good calm condtions off the tailgate of the ute
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 28 Nov 2019, 8:16 pm

So all said and done, did it live up to your expectations?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Nov 2019, 8:26 pm

Not really. I bought it in 78 expecting better.
This bruno is fussy, most ammo is lucky to get 55mm at 50 meters.
In the end i got what i wanted and i consider good groups , A 22 for head shooting bunnies. But ive spent perhaps $120 to $150 just testing ammo.

Edit for clarification.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 02 Dec 2019, 8:55 pm

That group is sloppy, I'm sure with the right ammo they should all be touching
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Dec 2019, 9:26 am

Model 2's are usually quite accurate, here's a sample of what the one I bought for my 12 y/o son is capable of with him shooting it.
Groups shot at a club match, 50m from a home made benchrest and rear bag using Eley club ammo. Rifle is stock standard Model 2 made in 1983 without any modifications, it has a 6.5 - 20X Leupold scope mounted on it.
Brno Mod 2 groups (2).jpg
Brno Mod 2 groups (2).jpg (136.5 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Dec 2019, 12:41 pm

I've shot a few groups like that with my Brno Mod 2 but she only wears a 4x Jap Tasco so not really set up for shooting bug eyes (she's only used for hunting bunnies and she's more than capable of rolling those alright.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Dec 2019, 4:23 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Model 2's are usually quite accurate, here's a sample of what the one I bought for my 12 y/o son is capable of with him shooting it.
Groups shot at a club match, 50m from a home made benchrest and rear bag using Eley club ammo. Rifle is stock standard Model 2 made in 1983 without any modifications, it has a 6.5 - 20X Leupold scope mounted on it.
Brno Mod 2 groups (2).jpg

Lets face it. Im envious. But it is off the tail gate, not ideal and seemed to improve (more consistant) over about 20 rounds. Im sure a better shooter and decent bench would improve a tad.

Dropped into the LGS today and grabbed 2 bricks of RWS Club.

Will put a few more through her in a couple of weeks and see how she goes.

At the end of the day i only need to shoot bunnies soooo,,, I think it will be ok out to about 75 yards. On paper, at 75 yards looks like the club has just about run out of steam in any case.

I was tempted to sell it and buy a Ruger American but Ive had her a bloody long time. And the grandson has had a few shots through it, so would like to hand it on to him when its time.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Dec 2019, 7:30 pm

She will be fine for hunting bunnies OB, ya only shoot 1 shot groups on them as a rule anyway :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Dec 2019, 8:18 pm

bigfellascott wrote:She will be fine for hunting bunnies OB, ya only shoot 1 shot groups on them as a rule anyway :D

How silly of me.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Dec 2019, 8:29 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
How silly of me.

Yes indeed :D I'm sure you can put one into something the size of an orange at 70m with it and that's all ya need to head shoot em. :thumbsup: People worry about group sizes when it comes to hunting and god only knows why as you really only need to land one inside say a 8cm circle, what you should be doing is getting a piece of cardboard and drawing 8cm circles on it and take 1 shot at each, if you can get 1 in each circle closest to the centre of each circle you really don't need anything else really. :unknown:

Try it - you might just surprise yourself at how well you can shoot at rabbit head sizes consistently. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Dec 2019, 8:52 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Yes indeed :D I'm sure you can put one into something the size of an orange at 70m with it and that's all ya need to head shoot em. :thumbsup: People worry about group sizes when it comes to hunting and god only knows why as you really only need to land one inside say a 8cm circle, what you should be doing is getting a piece of cardboard and drawing 8cm circles on it and take 1 shot at each, if you can get 1 in each circle closest to the centre of each circle you really don't need anything else really. :unknown:

Try it - you might just surprise yourself at how well you can shoot at rabbit head sizes consistently. :thumbsup:

Correctmondo

Fonz.jpg
Fonz.jpg (30.3 KiB) Viewed 5811 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Dec 2019, 4:16 pm

Isn't that just shooting for a group anyway??? :unknown:
I have two here, ( one for the young bloke and the wife has her fathers old one ), have shot about a dozen others and seen dozens of them in action. I'm not really that fond of them, but they do have a habit of shooting quite well.
Test shooting groups proves the accuracy, whether you want to shoot for score on a range or have peace of mind that the shot you take at game will pretty much land where you want it to.
I can't say that yours is typical oldbloke, or, how to make it more accurate aside from finding the right ammo for it. There is a few tricks to get a bit more out of them without spending a bunch of coin. Playing with the action screw tensions can make a fair bit of difference. I removed the one that screws into the barrel below the rear sight on my young blokes rifle, that made a big difference to it. However, the other one shoots better with that screw in place.
Also, have a play with lighter springs on the trigger, they are really basic and easy to swap out. I've seen them set up with the spring out of a biro, makes for a very light trigger.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles