Go find your own patch.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Go find your own patch.

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 10:19 am

on_one_wheel wrote:While I do understand how it feels to loose the freedom of being the only shooter on the property because I've been there, and I also get annoyed at people who degrade patches of land with little on no care for it or the owner. One thing I always remind myself is that it's not my land. It's the very thing that drives me to keep investing to be able to own my own patch soon.

I've also done countless hours, loads of diesel, thousands of rounds, several spotlight globes, steaked tyres and gallons of beer in the pursuit of eradicating pests on other people's properties with little praise and no reward other than the joy of getting out for a shot... That's generally the name of the game unless your doing it for a profession.

All that said, I do have one property owner who has me as his only shooter, he has given me 2 pillow cases full of shotgun cartridges and quenches my thirst while telling how much he appreciates what I'm doing.

His contact details are in the following link.

Thanks for the link mate, I have already contacted him and will be going up there this Saturday for an intro. :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 12:41 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:I find this topic interesting in that every property I go to, the owner will strictly forbid anyone else on there at the same time. I’m amazed they’d let multiple “shooters” on a block at once.
Poachers aside, seems like common sense to me. We use all NV and thermal so no torches. Makes me nervous sometimes even when you see spotlights on the neighboring blocks.

Thats common sense, the owner where I go wouldnt have a clue whos on there and leaves it up to his son.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 12:44 pm

Blr243 wrote:The only person I take to my hunting blocks is my dog. I trust him completely that he will never go back behind my back.......Have you ever seen a boxer staffy cross drive a hilux 600 k without being stopped by the cops ?

Mate thats funny.....the good ol four legged friend. :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 12:45 pm

Bill wrote:Sounds like you had a good run :drinks:

but as usually these thing always come to an end.

Time to get off ya butt, be more proactive, make new friends or buy ya own ranch :lol:

..I tried to mate but the Chinese got there before me :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 1:10 pm

Stix wrote:Elmer...
Thats gotta burn...!
I feel for you mate...!!

I too am lucky & consider myself privileged to have access to a similar amount of bunny filled land...so lucky infact, ive never even met the owner...lol...(access is gained through trust from a fellow farmer who is a family member).
Although, im guessing i have to travel a lot further than what you do (thats a guess of where i think your patch is based on the terrain in your vids)...mine is so far its an overnighter unless you like driving--i usually try for atleast 2 nights, if not 3...(i actually need 4 nights to cover all the territory properly with a spotlight for a dedicated fox knocking exercise)

Where i shoot, best i know, im the only one who shoots there--with the exception of his employees...there was another bloke shooting there on occasion & im unsure if he still goes there with his mates.
However, there are poachers that go there & stir the beegeezuss out of the bunnies...Ive come car to car with them & wanted to chase them out, but there was a fence between us & i had to shut a gate, so they got away...

The bunnies are so skittish if they see a light they are gone...period--& even the young fresh kittens are taught that so it is regularly shot.
And when it comes to what we both love--the dusk sniping--you only get one per warren as they wont come back out again untill dark, if shot at in daylight... :thumbsdown: ...that makes for a lot of wasted driving time while the sun rapidly approaches the horizon... :(
There are only a few warrens where the bunnies come out before dark.& they are so far apart, that if they come out late & i miss, that might be my first & last shot for an hour or more...

It is painful i know...i went there once last year shortly after a brief trip out there only a couple of weeks prior, the earlier trip had revealed there were squillions of young'ns that needed attention & i should make an effort to show some payback & respect for letting me come & go as i please, so i had the intention of coming back with my 90 odd litre car fridge full of jointed up 3/4 grown little tender beauties, & leaving a good amount of crunchy tucker for the dogs...i was so disheartened when i got there for the 3 day & night sniping wipeout...it had already been decimated & i had no hope of shooting anything...you'd never seen rabbits run like that--not even back in the day having had the 5 rounds from a 12 semi emptied at one's back feet...

I respectfully expressed my disappointment to the farmer, & acknowledged its none of my business anyway...

I was lucky enough to find another population on his block--so thick i took 7 out of it last time with leaving another 7 for next visit ...

The day will no doubt come when ill encounter what you are experiencing...well in some form anyway...whether it be another shooter or change of owners...& i dread that day...but until then, hearing stories like yours, ill just be grateful for what ive got...

And people dont realise its hard because we ( well i do anuway) develop an emotional attachment to the land we shoot...one property ive been shooting on for over 30 yrs now has as good as nothing--one or 2 bunnies that breed & then get shot as fast as they breed, & a bit of a roo problem at present, but i still go back there...i say to myself "ive gotta get out there & check on the place"...
I went there for the first time in nine months, last weekend & told the farmer i felt bad cos i was out of touch with his crop rotations now... :lol:

Anyway...i hope you get something sorted...maybe you could go dump a stolen car & a pile of drugs out there & get them in trouble for it... :unknown: :lol:
(just kidding 8-) )
:drinks:

Thanks Stix,
yup its a fact of life that we have to share, hopefully they will get bored with the place and f*** off (with their cars) they have already thinned out the roos (not that I shoot those)...like I said, I wonder if they have permits to do that? hmmm maybe a phone call here or there could be in order.
Unfortunately when I was talking to the owner (he got the feeling that I wasnt happy about it) he told me that all the land is for everyone to use and if i come across them to go and introduce myself and tell them what part I will be shooting on.
So Im afraid I wont get much help from him....Well it sounds like you have a couple of good spots to shoot on look after them mate as you know they are hard to come by.
Before the the drought, on one set of warrens I counted about 160 (in 2016) now when I whent there last Saturday I counted ...1....things are looking up :roll:
Anyway mate, if the Bunnies come back to good numbers (since I know your love of sniping like me) your welcome to have a shot on my patch...I trust you will keep your mouth shut where it is :thumbsup:
The drug cars sounds like a plan....maybe I could tell ASIO that their bike shed is a terror cell :lol:
cheers
Sean
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Wapiti » 03 Dec 2019, 3:21 pm

Pretty interesting topic, particularly how some hunters get an emotional bond to the place seeing it over time from their experiences there. That's great. I understand fully and feel the same way.

Sharing can be very difficult because not everyone share the same great respect and ethics posters in this thread do, you might be a true hunter who passes by things from a management perspective, or ethical one. Example might be not targeting does for meat from December to April, when they are feeding fawns and have them stashed somewhere.
I've got mates that will watch animals grow over seasons as they have enormous potential and great genes, to take them out early just isn't an option. Being there is first. But when you share with others, outside your control, often you'll find the next mob will blast everything in sight, it's a numbers game.

To the OP, I'm at odds as to why the owner of the place would allow a racetrack etc on his place, don't get that at all. Maybe he's scared of saying no to them? There's people out there like that too. But yeah that sucks.

Another thing, just an opinion. If you are expecting the farmer to pay you for what you call success, think from the other side. Frequently we get asked in town when getting supplies, as do neighbours, do you have a roo/deer/pig problem? If so, we'll come out and sort it for you, we shoot for the chiller. There's heaps of blokes that are earning bugger all in the country who will do this after hours as they get paid by by the kg.
The cockie doesn't pay them, he's growing the bloody things, as his expense already if you think about it, and the shooters spend the time taking them for free and get paid at the box. Tgen there's the ever present legal liability the farmer has, the minute there's an exchange of favours or money. The farmer wears that cost if something goes wrong. One bloke down the road, CHARGES the roo shooters a carton a visit, and they pay happily. There's lots of competition.

A few month ago, a bloke came up to the house and asked to shoot roos. He had set up a pest control company in order to get Cat C and was trying to get D across the line. He said he had a deal with a big Brissie gunshop to get 223 ammo for $12 a box or something, he'd only charge me for the ammo and of course, he'd take the roos.
Earlier, I was swapping big gas cylinders over in town and the lady hit me up to come shoot roos, a hubby and wife shooter team. Free of course. Just sign our paperwork. As if I was going to pay someone no matter how good they are, because even if the hunters on a place aren't as expert as others think they are, the blokes doing it for their pleasure and mental wellbeing put pressure on the feral and this has great effect. Win, win.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Archie » 03 Dec 2019, 4:45 pm

Blr243 wrote:Reluctantly, I have to share my best place with others but they are all ok and at the end of the day they were there before me. I would hate to have to have to share the place with idiots ..... sometimes I have to hunt in close proximity to a roo shooter. He is always safe because he always has lights on and I always know where he is. But I ride my quad in the dark without lights And I walk the paddocks in the dark without lights. So he has no idea where I am. At times it makes me very nervous. I just hope he is an extremely good shot,

Look on the bright side, the national guidelines mean for roo shooters, headshots are compulsory. So if he does make a mistake you're never going to know.

But yeah I have had to share a few times and it does make you nervous.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Dec 2019, 5:08 pm

G'day Wapiti I agree with you somewhat but it doesn't always work like that what you have and do is well and good for roos, and rabbits although they''ed get skitty with the extra shooters but that is the owners call now wild dogs is a different matter it could take 1-2weeks or even more to sus out its habits on a block it is a known fact that properties that let combined shooters on don't get the kills like a one shooter block if the shooter knows what he is doing as for payment well that's up to the farmer and the shooter and I dare say most shooters will do it for nothing so with that a little respect from both the farmer and the shooter is called for now for the shooters taking roos -pigs and boxing them and receiving money well up here most of the properties require a money return per kg from the shooter even though it is doing them a favor and I think rightly so so at the end of the day it all depends on the farmer who they let on but up here there are many that won't let shooters on because of bad experiences with shooters in the past and also one of my biggest concerns if several shooters use one block and a beast is shot not found for weeks or month then who do you blame so then you shut the gate to all and that's where we are up here or for at least 98% of properties it's who you know or your reputation that gets you on and you don't get paid unless you produce and if you don't produce the goods you're not there long I can't speak for those down south but I do know this country some let several shooters on but not many I for one won't shoot a multiple shooter block
Member-Deleted

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 5:35 pm

Wapiti wrote:Pretty interesting topic, particularly how some hunters get an emotional bond to the place seeing it over time from their experiences there. That's great. I understand fully and feel the same way.

Sharing can be very difficult because not everyone share the same great respect and ethics posters in this thread do, you might be a true hunter who passes by things from a management perspective, or ethical one. Example might be not targeting does for meat from December to April, when they are feeding fawns and have them stashed somewhere.
I've got mates that will watch animals grow over seasons as they have enormous potential and great genes, to take them out early just isn't an option. Being there is first. But when you share with others, outside your control, often you'll find the next mob will blast everything in sight, it's a numbers game.

To the OP, I'm at odds as to why the owner of the place would allow a racetrack etc on his place, don't get that at all. Maybe he's scared of saying no to them? There's people out there like that too. But yeah that sucks.

Another thing, just an opinion. If you are expecting the farmer to pay you for what you call success, think from the other side. Frequently we get asked in town when getting supplies, as do neighbours, do you have a roo/deer/pig problem? If so, we'll come out and sort it for you, we shoot for the chiller. There's heaps of blokes that are earning bugger all in the country who will do this after hours as they get paid by by the kg.
The cockie doesn't pay them, he's growing the bloody things, as his expense already if you think about it, and the shooters spend the time taking them for free and get paid at the box. Tgen there's the ever present legal liability the farmer has, the minute there's an exchange of favours or money. The farmer wears that cost if something goes wrong. One bloke down the road, CHARGES the roo shooters a carton a visit, and they pay happily. There's lots of competition.

A few month ago, a bloke came up to the house and asked to shoot roos. He had set up a pest control company in order to get Cat C and was trying to get D across the line. He said he had a deal with a big Brissie gunshop to get 223 ammo for $12 a box or something, he'd only charge me for the ammo and of course, he'd take the roos.
Earlier, I was swapping big gas cylinders over in town and the lady hit me up to come shoot roos, a hubby and wife shooter team. Free of course. Just sign our paperwork. As if I was going to pay someone no matter how good they are, because even if the hunters on a place aren't as expert as others think they are, the blokes doing it for their pleasure and mental wellbeing put pressure on the feral and this has great effect. Win, win.

You made some good points there, to tell you the truth it never entered my mind to ask for a donation here or there until it was raised on this post.
I have always considered access to land a privilege and ALWAYS treat the land with the utmost respect.
I have been shooting in the mallee for about 36yrs now and have treated every property like my own.
It s**ts me when I see land that ( yes I have grown an emotional bond to) is treated that way by a bunch of guys who really couldn't give a s**t and just use it as a playground.
Long range shooting is my hobby and passion and the farmers and properties I shoot on are treated with the respect they deserve.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 04 Dec 2019, 1:31 am

OK, I know I'm going to be slammed for this but...I can understand a farmer who views rabbits as a pest ripping warrens and asking anyone interested to help eliminate them.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by CrackThump » 04 Dec 2019, 5:46 am

Jim. I agree with you mate, but I guess Im in a different situation. The property where I shoot she runs horses and the rabbit warrens are a dangerous (tasty) pain in the arse to her stock so she's happy with eradication. The wallabies are likewise a PITA stealing fodder from the horses.

I reckon I should count my blessings.It seems Ive got it a fair bit easier than some of you guys n girls. The land owner doesnt chip in for fuel or ammo, but she always puts beers and a feed on afterwards. We share the bunnies 50/50 and I keep whatever wallaby I want.

I know she has another mob from the north coast shoot the block as well, but theyre rarely there, are a good bunch of respectful blokes and we've never been in each other's way.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Am88 » 04 Dec 2019, 9:52 am

Poachers are also the reason everyone I ask is pretty firm no, I actually had a conversation with a gentleman weekend just gone about the possibility of entering his paddocks, even though he was nice about it it was still no. Every one wants to bitch and moan about the problem but they don't want to give shooters a go. The stock Squad are even being a pest targeting people on roads as there is alot of poaching going on off the sides of the highway as well for Chital. It's hard for me to justify something I love doing when I got bugger all places to shoot on. Even my Father in Laws neighbours will happily whinge to me about the roos and wallabies eating thier return or planted sugar cane, but when asked to get a permit to shoot they say nah no shooting mate. It's painful.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by gazza » 04 Dec 2019, 10:31 am

Not much stays the same. I lost 80 acres due to new land owners. Had plenty of rabbits for a small area and I could walk there from my shack.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by southeast varmiter » 04 Dec 2019, 11:00 am

Am88 wrote:Poachers are also the reason everyone I ask is pretty firm no, I actually had a conversation with a gentleman weekend just gone about the possibility of entering his paddocks, even though he was nice about it it was still no. Every one wants to bitch and moan about the problem but they don't want to give shooters a go. The stock Squad are even being a pest targeting people on roads as there is alot of poaching going on off the sides of the highway as well for Chital. It's hard for me to justify something I love doing when I got bugger all places to shoot on. Even my Father in Laws neighbours will happily whinge to me about the roos and wallabies eating thier return or planted sugar cane, but when asked to get a permit to shoot they say nah no shooting mate. It's painful.

Which is why I also use the angle of poacher management, to support land owners. Do this first and doors open.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 04 Dec 2019, 12:32 pm

myself l've always had the thought that it was not my name on the gate and the owner can let who ever he wants on,
l have to say l have been disappointed a few times when the farmer has let idiots on who destroy the area and make it harder for me to get the job done
what l do is move on without winging and sometimes the farmer ends up ringing me to get me back,
l dont hold any ill will and am not really interested in the goings on of other shooters but l do let the farmer know that if he truly wants his ferals shot he needs to let me get on with the job without the other guys who make it so much harder, l have found the farmers family can be a big problem but l will get them with me and show them how to do the job properly instead of making the ferals skitish and harder to get, that being said l dont like wasting my time
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 04 Dec 2019, 1:16 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:Which is why I also use the angle of poacher management, to support land owners. Do this first and doors open.

That's a very good point mate, cannot say I've thought about it from that angle. Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Dec 2019, 1:19 pm

That's correct marksman where I am there is an absolute need to get the job done and as quick as possible otherwise it comes as a loss to the farmer in dead stock we work on a hand shake and that's still binding up here so both parties are happy but for me its more of a contract without having a contract to do a job therefore I need the area I shoot free from traffic as much as possible and 99.9% of farmers are happy with that I can truly understand what people are saying on here with their different opinions and they're all valid but under the circumstances I shoot my way is the best for me and the farmer if he is serious about wanting pests gone and I can tell you they do, mine is not a need for land to shoot on like many on here as they have to take what they can get although many don't want to share but have no choice there is a difference between being asked to rid the property of ferals and being allowed onto a property for hunting and recreational shooting but in both cases the eight ball is in the owners pocket and rightly so it's just how to get the right chance for you and your shooting
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 04 Dec 2019, 1:29 pm

Bloody hell marksman...there you are...!!
I was gonna give it to the weekend & send out a "cooee" for you too...
I thought bloody hell..have you skidaddled too...?...& .whos next--bigrich...?...but nah--he aint goin anywhere while his trump-tacular is playing at No1 on broadway... :lol:

And i agree with you on all fronts too...
Both doing the job properly...

A couple of years ago i made the HUGE mistake of hanging skun-out fox carcasses on a fence...
Well that just sent farmers into panic mode with baiting, & (i suspect through their behaviour) other "shooters"...

Fox whistles dont work now, & they also wont stay within 200 yds with a light now--2 seasons of it...

I believe you csn tell a lot from animal behaviour, & ive let this farmer know its much harder for me to get good nimbers because these foxes have clearly been shot at, & id guess on a regular basis...

I know the neighbour has started shooting in last 2 yrs too, & i suspect they aren't "hunters"--rather just opportunist shooters who have the mind set of "have a crack" when its beyond their capability.

I have a saying i use to farmers when discussing the subject--& that is that most "shooters" just scare foxes with the "have a crack" attitude, & thus just train foxes to be more cunning,..
And a couple of farmers who've seen me in action at night, tell me that not many do what i do--that being actually try hunt them rather than just have random shots & scare them...

Anyway...i wish i was as good as i make myself sound to them sometimes... :lol: :sarcasm:

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 04 Dec 2019, 6:30 pm

Anyway.....it's not so much one or two other guys shoot on the block , it's the fact that they turned a premium little bunny patch into a motocross track.
Poachers I can deal with ...but don't f*** UP the environment.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Jon79 » 04 Dec 2019, 6:40 pm

I try to get out to most of my properties I shoot on as often as I can because I’ve noticed many farmers start to think your not coming back or coming out enough if they haven’t heard from you for 3 weeks and that’s when others can get their foot in the door!

I also try to look after them with dog food if I go out for those who have taken up the offer, they very much appreciate their bag of boned out cut up dog tucker when they get up the next morning after I’ve been.... also pays to leave the odd fox where they’ll find it too, surprising how many times youll get told what a good job your doing on the foxes the next time you go out lol
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Dec 2019, 12:08 am

Hi again Emer, (I’m having a short break in the “wait awhile” state, Broome to be precise)
Mate, you haven’t actually said (unless I’ve missed it),,,,, but I’m willing to bet that the two legged ferals that were let in by Mr Farmer,,,, are in fact in-laws or outlaws of his own family.

Right,,, ???
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 05 Dec 2019, 7:40 am

Die Judicii wrote:Hi again Emer, (I’m having a short break in the “wait awhile” state, Broome to be precise)
Mate, you haven’t actually said (unless I’ve missed it),,,,, but I’m willing to bet that the two legged ferals that were let in by Mr Farmer,,,, are in fact in-laws or outlaws of his own family.

Right,,, ???

Hi mate,
No these guys are not related to or friends of the property owner
They purchased a second hand motorbike of the farmers son and decided it was a great place to set up their track and have a shoot as well.

cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 05 Dec 2019, 1:00 pm

If I told someone they could hunt on my place and they set up a bike track and started doing burnouts in cars and leaving rubbish around they wouldn't be back.
Does the farm owner condone this behavior? or does his son participate? If not maybe casually mention the new campsite and see what his reaction is
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 05 Dec 2019, 4:06 pm

Hi Pete, unfortunately it's far enough from the house to not piss him off, he knows about the cars and all the crap lying around.
The only thing he has said to them is not to rally during the summer when the grass is long and dry.
He told them that if they do , he will come down with the tractor and tip every car on it's roof. (all 6 of them)
No his son does not participate....so now I'm looking for another place
cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 05 Dec 2019, 7:24 pm

I once used to shoot at an amazing place at moonie 13000 acres prime melon hole black soil, less than 1 per cent of it was s**ty red soil and cypress First long weekend there I saw 260 pigs. It had not been hunted for a long time. I had almost sole access there for years. And I was in heaven. Then one day I phoned to arrange a visit and was told the shooting was now in the hands of a full time pro to take care of all the Roos and pigs. I was gutted. From then on I had to put up with a lot of rough country. It took me thirty years to find another real good place and for a while the latest place I considered to be my best ever, until the choppers arrived and decimated the pig population. Good things don’t last forever. They come and they go. That’s life
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 05 Dec 2019, 7:34 pm

Blr243 wrote:I once used to shoot at an amazing place at moonie 13000 acres prime melon hole black soil, less than 1 per cent of it was s**ty red soil and cypress First long weekend there I saw 260 pigs. It had not been hunted for a long time. I had almost sole access there for years. And I was in heaven. Then one day I phoned to arrange a visit and was told the shooting was now in the hands of a full time pro to take care of all the Roos and pigs. I was gutted. From then on I had to put up with a lot of rough country. It took me thirty years to find another real good place and for a while the latest place I considered to be my best ever, until the choppers arrived and decimated the pig population. Good things don’t last forever. They come and they go. That’s life

What a bummer, but like you said, that's life.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by flutch » 05 Dec 2019, 7:44 pm

hog numbers are taking off all over tho, unfortunately a lot of the turf is out of bounds for recreational shooters.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ferrisweil » 06 Dec 2019, 9:29 am

Blr243 wrote:I once used to shoot at an amazing place at moonie 13000 acres prime melon hole black soil, less than 1 per cent of it was s**ty red soil and cypress First long weekend there I saw 260 pigs. It had not been hunted for a long time. I had almost sole access there for years. And I was in heaven. Then one day I phoned to arrange a visit and was told the shooting was now in the hands of a full time pro to take care of all the Roos and pigs. I was gutted. From then on I had to put up with a lot of rough country. It took me thirty years to find another real good place and for a while the latest place I considered to be my best ever, until the choppers arrived and decimated the pig population. Good things don’t last forever. They come and they go. That’s life

That chopper that was operating out Moonie way is apparently finished. I shoot on several properties out there as well and one of the owners told me it’s done for now.
Apparently, even though each farmer puts in $500 to have the chopper cover their property, the government still subsidized the operation FOR THAT AREA. From what I hear, they are now subsidizing another area.
Fingers crossed from our point of view
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Dec 2019, 5:34 pm

I have not hunted moonie for at least 15 yrs. never used choppers while I was there but in my new area I have been hit hard. I think regardless of govt intervention, shoots and subsidies, sometimes property owners just get together and get a chopper , Best thing is they only do it when pig numbers are fairly high so us reccies get a lash for a while . It will be interesting to see how long it takes my new place to bounce back ....... no water allocation, no rain for crops, so the pigs aren’t even smashing crops at the moment as far as I can see
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Dec 2019, 8:12 pm

Blr243 wrote:It will be interesting to see how long it takes my new place to bounce back ....... no water allocation, no rain for crops, so the pigs aren’t even smashing crops at the moment as far as I can see

Heh,,,, the old saying,, Ya can’t get blood out of a stone
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control