My experience with bore cleaning

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

My experience with bore cleaning

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Oct 2019, 9:54 pm

In the time I have been a regular shooter, I've been in the pursuit of the correct method of cleaning a barrel. I've come to the conclusion the answer varies depending on who you ask/what you read.

I'll start with bore brushes. Nylon brushes I personally believe, are a waste of time. Bought some to try, I ran solvent down a barrel, let it sit, scrubbed with a nylon brush. In no time it was clean. Couldnt believe it. It was a new rifle, but Sceptical, I ordered some bronze brushes online, this evening, went through the same process, first patch out is the image below.

Which leads me to my next point. When the heck do you stop? I can push patches through for an hour straight and will always get carbon coming out with the patch, and if you ask a hunter, a 200m comp shooter or a long range shooter you will probably get a different answer for each. So I've come up with my own answer which is somewhere in between clean it OCD style and give it the odd scrub with a nylon brush and whatever, and if seen evidence to support both.

From now on I'm just going to solvent/scrub/dry patch 5-6 times, then solvent/dry patch until it comes out clean.

Cheers!
Cheers
Attachments
Screenshot_20191013-225133_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191013-225133_Gallery.jpg (487.23 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
Screenshot_20191013-225149_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191013-225149_Gallery.jpg (480.68 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: My experience with bore cleaning

Post by bladeracer » 13 Oct 2019, 11:30 pm

There is no single correct way, only the best way for each individual.

I have rarely needed to scrub a bore, usually that's only needed on poorly-maintained milsurps.
Soak the bore with a solvent that breaks down whatever is fouling the bore, copper, lead, brass, plastic or powder residue, then patch out the broken down residue.

Sometimes I might have to run a nylon brush through to break up some stubborn stuff, but that's rare.

I don't clean with the goal of a shiny bore, I clean to minimize corrosion and wear and to maintain accuracy. If it shoots well what are you hoping to gain by a few more hours of cleaning?
Last edited by bladeracer on 13 Oct 2019, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 13 Oct 2019, 11:30 pm

I'm not quite sure I understand your point/post.

Let's start with the photo's. Is the stuff (Sherry) in the glass what you are drinking or what you are pouring down the bore..?? Second photo, get or make yourself some proper cotton patches that are a snug size in the bore (not tight nor loose unless loose just to distribute solvent) and a decent aluminium or stainless steel jag. A jag of the correct size for the bore calibre with appropriate size patch. Don't like the looks of whatever material that patch is made from, doesn't look real good with all the loose fibres hanging of it that can be left behind in the bore.

Hope you are using a Bore Guide, if so does it have a solvent port..??

What solvent are you using..??

Who do you ask. Well I'm a Varminter (short & long range), I'm a 50, 100, 200, 300 & 500 metre Target Shooter also have shot a couple of 1,000m competitions.

My cleaning regime is pretty much the same for any rifle I use except for Rimfire (which doesn't get cleaned normally). I have not used a bronze brush in any rifle of mine for a few decades since I found a solvent that works for me. How many rounds do you shoot between cleans. In my case it can be a few dozen over a week before a clean then putting a rifle away or in competition say 50 rounds then clean at the end of a day.

I use Boretech Eliminator, one loose patch with a half dozen drops then a dry patch to push out all the carbon/powder residue then a nylon brush in the bore guide, put a half to a dozen drops on that the scrub the bore say a dozen or two time and let sit. Have a beer and then dry patch, second patch is usually clean, perhaps the third. In competition I use Moly coated bullets and I don't want to completely clean all the bore out, if a patch comes out with a slight grey tinge then that's enough. I finish with a wet patch of Shellite to clean any solvent out then if the rifle is being stored a patch with some gun oil. I always dry patch any bore before shooting next.

In competitions you can see people scrubbing their bore over and over for 10-15 minutes or more until my arm aches watching them. The ones I see doing that usually are using Sweets and I gave up on that a really long time ago as I don't believe it does the job properly like some more modern solvents. Each to their own though. Use whatever you thinks works for you. My rifles are often looked at by my Gunsmith and he has never seen any residue be it carbon to copper in my bores. He is a NRAA Fullbore F/class shooter.

You don't really need to clean until you get a perfectly clean patch come out but that depends on what the rifle is used for..

I do agree with you. You can ask 20 people how to clean a bore and you might get 20 different answers.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 14 Oct 2019, 7:27 am

bladeracer wrote:i don't clean with the goal of a shiny bore, I clean to minimize corrosion and wear and to maintain accuracy. If it shoots well what are you hoping to gain by a few more hours of cleaning?

Sounds like a good regime, the type id like to employ.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 14 Oct 2019, 7:49 am

Apollo wrote:I'm not quite sure I understand your point/post.

Let's start with the photo's. Is the stuff (Sherry) in the glass what you are drinking or what you are pouring down the bore..?? Second photo, get or make yourself some proper cotton patches that are a snug size in the bore (not tight nor loose unless loose just to distribute solvent) and a decent aluminium or stainless steel jag. A jag of the correct size for the bore calibre with appropriate size patch. Don't like the looks of whatever material that patch is made from, doesn't look real good with all the loose fibres hanging of it that can be left behind in the bore.

Hope you are using a Bore Guide, if so does it have a solvent port..??

What solvent are you using..??

Who do you ask. Well I'm a Varminter (short & long range), I'm a 50, 100, 200, 300 & 500 metre Target Shooter also have shot a couple of 1,000m competitions.

My cleaning regime is pretty much the same for any rifle I use except for Rimfire (which doesn't get cleaned normally). I have not used a bronze brush in any rifle of mine for a few decades since I found a solvent that works for me. How many rounds do you shoot between cleans. In my case it can be a few dozen over a week before a clean then putting a rifle away or in competition say 50 rounds then clean at the end of a day.

I use Boretech Eliminator, one loose patch with a half dozen drops then a dry patch to push out all the carbon/powder residue then a nylon brush in the bore guide, put a half to a dozen drops on that the scrub the bore say a dozen or two time and let sit. Have a beer and then dry patch, second patch is usually clean, perhaps the third. In competition I use Moly coated bullets and I don't want to completely clean all the bore out, if a patch comes out with a slight grey tinge then that's enough. I finish with a wet patch of Shellite to clean any solvent out then if the rifle is being stored a patch with some gun oil. I always dry patch any bore before shooting next.

In competitions you can see people scrubbing their bore over and over for 10-15 minutes or more until my arm aches watching them. The ones I see doing that usually are using Sweets and I gave up on that a really long time ago as I don't believe it does the job properly like some more modern solvents. Each to their own though. Use whatever you thinks works for you. My rifles are often looked at by my Gunsmith and he has never seen any residue be it carbon to copper in my bores. He is a NRAA Fullbore F/class shooter.

You don't really need to clean until you get a perfectly clean patch come out but that depends on what the rifle is used for..

I do agree with you. You can ask 20 people how to clean a bore and you might get 20 different answers.

Tullamore Dew single malt 12yo

The patches are cotton, or so they say, yes, using a possum bore guide, no solvent port, but I have a towel over the stock to protect it from the solvent. Probably around 100 rounds is when I clean it with solvent. I use hoppes 9 benchrest, and some where in between throw in a patch of hoppes copper fouling solvent.

The thing is, if i push a patch of solvent through and then a dry patch, without scrubbing, it comes out clean, but if I scrub I'll always get something.
Attachments
20191014_084755.jpg
20191014_084755.jpg (157.85 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 14 Oct 2019, 3:45 pm

I take it your barrel is chrome moly :unknown:
if I am correct this is common because of the pores in the steel that get filled with carbon ect ... :drinks:
nothing to really worry about :thumbsup:

IMHO the only way to tell if your bore is clean is to spy down the muzzle with a small torch and look for copper traces, like in the photo
you can feel carbon buildup by pulling a nylon brush back toward the action slowly, you will feel smooth then a rough sort of resistance, this is carbon and needs to be polished out with autosol or JB paste

I dont think it is the right thing to just keep pumping patches through too messy, I use a nylon or bronze brush dipped into the bottle of solvent to wet down the bore, let it soak for whatever time I feel is adequate then push a patch through and check the muzzle
I do not like rifles that take all day to clean, most of mine after 50 or more shots will take 20-30 minutes
if I use a bronze brush I never bring it back over the crown and match barrels will never have a nylon brush pulled back either

just a tip, I get my better half to cut up our old cotton bed sheets for patches, it only costs a bottle of baileys :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 14 Oct 2019, 4:04 pm

To cut down on patches I scrub with solvent. I use sweets as it works fine for me. I then just pour metho down the bore to wash it out and then patch. Usually only need one or two, then oil. Washing it out is quicker than wiping it out.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 14 Oct 2019, 6:57 pm

"The thing is, if i push a patch of solvent through and then a dry patch, without scrubbing, it comes out clean, but if I scrub I'll always get something"

Please excuse me if this has been mentioned already as i have not hit hhe bottom of the thread yet.. I'm not sure about a solvent for lead but if you use a copper solvent you might get traces of green on your patches from brass jags and brushes, or nylon brushes that have metal in the middle that hold the bristles together.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 14 Oct 2019, 7:18 pm

Ricochet wrote:"The thing is, if i push a patch of solvent through and then a dry patch, without scrubbing, it comes out clean, but if I scrub I'll always get something"

Please excuse me if this has been mentioned already as i have not hit hhe bottom of the thread yet.. I'm not sure about a solvent for lead but if you use a copper solvent you might get traces of green on your patches from brass jags and brushes, or nylon brushes that have metal in the middle that hold the bristles together.

a very good reason for not relying on the colour of patches for deciding that your bore is clean, look down the muzzle for copper and fowling
as I said earlier if your barrel is chrome moly steel it will have fouling in the pores so every time you give the bore a scrub you are digging out the fowling from the pores, if there is no copper present looking down the muzzle and your bore feels smooth when pushing a patch through or dragging a nylon brush back after cleaning its not something to lose sleep over :unknown: I dont adhere to the only looking at the colour of patches to see if the bore is clean and the rubbish that your jag/brush ect will make your patches show colour theory, but each to their own, these are my beliefs that work for me :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 14 Oct 2019, 7:33 pm

marksman wrote:
Ricochet wrote:"The thing is, if i push a patch of solvent through and then a dry patch, without scrubbing, it comes out clean, but if I scrub I'll always get something"

a very good reason for not relying on the colour of patches for deciding that your bore is clean, look down the muzzle for copper and fowling
as I said earlier if your barrel is chrome moly steel it will have fouling in the pores so every time you give the bore a scrub you are digging out the fowling from the pores, if there is no copper present looking down the muzzle and your bore feels smooth when pushing a patch through or dragging a nylon brush back after cleaning its not something to lose sleep over :unknown: I dont adhere to the only looking at the colour of patches to see if the bore is clean and the rubbish that your jag/brush ect will make your patches show colour theory, but each to their own, these are my beliefs that work for me :thumbsup: :drinks:

Thanks marksman
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Oct 2019, 8:45 pm

Keep the Hoppes for your 22. I also like Boretec, the copper solvent is excellent.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 15 Oct 2019, 2:26 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Keep the Hoppes for your 22. I also like Boretec, the copper solvent is excellent.

Is that equivalent to hoppes copper solvent?
Thanks
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Oct 2019, 5:57 pm

I have not found Hoppes copper or carbon solvents effective. So much easier to get the job done with Boretec. I found Hoppes copper solvent a waste of time.

Try Boretec Cu+
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 15 Oct 2019, 8:33 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have not found Hoppes copper or carbon solvents effective. So much easier to get the job done with Boretec. I found Hoppes copper solvent a waste of time.

Try Boretec Cu+

Cheers
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 15 Oct 2019, 8:41 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have not found Hoppes copper or carbon solvents effective. So much easier to get the job done with Boretec. I found Hoppes copper solvent a waste of time.

Try Boretec Cu+

I agree with you mate. It does a great job.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 15 Oct 2019, 9:42 pm

^^^ what they all said. i also found hoppes to be average for cleaning i use the boretech c4 carbon remover works fine for me
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Oct 2019, 7:29 am

I tried the nulon foaming intake cleaner and its awesome for carbon
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 16 Oct 2019, 7:51 am

Ziad wrote:I tried the nulon foaming intake cleaner and its awesome for carbon

+1
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by solarpak » 02 Jan 2020, 10:20 pm

My 2cents worth...

First up - pass half dozen patches with carbon remover (brake cleaner ) through bore - from breech to muzzle only (dont drag a carbon fouled patch back thru the bore)
Secondly - use Bore Tech Eliminator with a nylon brush - saturate it with solvent - 20-30 strokes through the bore - let it sit for 20 mins - patch out .
Examine muzzle - if copper streaks exist - use Boretech copper solvent OR KG12 on a patch - let it sit 30 mins intermittently scrubbing with a nylon brush - patch out.

Copper should be gone ...if not repeat the Copper solvent/KG12 step till it is.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 02 Jan 2020, 11:37 pm

If i could hook up a camera to my hawkeye borescope i would and make a video. Is cleanliness of barrel equal to accuracy? Do you really need to get barrel back to bare metal?

What I have learnt.

C4+ carbon cleaner gets rid of all powder and and some carbon.
KG12 gets rid of copper streaks even if you don't scrub.
Getting rid of baked on carbon requires bore paste.

https://youtu.be/315vYZGyHhs
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 02 Jan 2020, 11:39 pm

No scrubbing and you can see copper dissolve. You won't see boretech cu2+ do this.

https://youtu.be/soFJxb4zJ78
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jan 2020, 2:08 pm

I have not used KG12 and no doubt it removes copper but in my experience Boretech Cu will remove copper in the same way. Do you feel like setting up your camera with a copper streak and some Boretech?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jan 2020, 4:10 pm

Yep but out of boretech. Send me some boretech and I'll do a side by side comparison
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jan 2020, 9:00 pm

Let me know how much you want and your credit card number and it's on it way.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jan 2020, 9:10 pm

Before i think about a video here's a table that compares the leaching power of kg12 with boretech.

https://www.coretacsolutions.com/produc ... 2_TEST.htm
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jan 2020, 9:17 pm

Here's another one. KG12 leaches far more than boretech cu2+ or eliminator.

https://www.shootersforum.com/gun-clean ... pics/80374
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jan 2020, 9:32 pm

It is interesting when a company conducts their own research, the data shows the Ballistol lubricant as being three times more effective than Boretech despite it not being a copper solvent.

Thanks for posting the information however, I will look out for the KG product and give it a go.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 05 Jan 2020, 9:20 am

SCJ429 wrote:It is interesting when a company conducts their own research, the data shows the Ballistol lubricant as being three times more effective than Boretech despite it not being a copper solvent.

Thanks for posting the information however, I will look out for the KG product and give it a go.

Ballistol is a great product - more of an all-rounder and one which i use for cleaning and lubrication. It certainly wont harm the bore and would remove powder fouling . For field use its a good choice.
But for proper cleaning i use products which i have trust in - and i have used pretty well everything on the market.
For me , its Bore-Tech, KG and Pro-shot.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Jan 2020, 10:29 am

The test was to sit a 338 projectile in the product and see how much copper was removed after 17 hours. The result for Ballistol lubricant was 0.3 of a grain. The result for Boretech Cu copper solvent was zero.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Jan 2020, 11:05 am

SCJ429 wrote:The test was to sit a 338 projectile in the product and see how much copper was removed after 17 hours. The result for Ballistol lubricant was 0.3 of a grain. The result for Boretech Cu copper solvent was zero.

Fascinating :o
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Next

Return to Gunsmithing