.308 Hollow Points

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

.308 Hollow Points

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Dec 2019, 8:05 pm

100_5508.JPG
100_5508.JPG (579.54 KiB) Viewed 10923 times
Who here has used or experimented with these little beasties ??

In particular, Federal 130GR Speer HPs in over the counter factory rounds.
I bought a packet to experiment with to see how they perform.

It was almost a perfect afternoon, and I set up this target at 170 meters. (edit to say, black square is 30mm x 30mm and impacts are 20mm apart)

1st shot was a 165gr Australian Outback "solid" factory round.
2nd shot was a 130 gr Federal "Hollow Point" factory round.

I made no sight adjustments before or in between.

Then I started to run out of daylight so packed up,,,,,, but the initial results are promising, as I thought there would be a greater difference (poi) between the two differing rounds.
For pigs or dogs, from a general hunting perspective I think it would be good enough,, but maybe I'll tweak things tomorrow to get a closer average between the two differing rounds.
My purpose being that I have two magazines and intend on filling one with HPs and the other with solids.
Then with only the one rifle it'll be a simple swap to be best equipped for either pigs or dogs/cats whichever ones front up.

What sort of results have you other guys had with the Hollow Points ? as these are a first for me.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: .308 Hollow Points

Post by in2anity » 23 Dec 2019, 10:40 pm

Speer bullets group above their price point.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2019, 11:09 pm

in2anity wrote:Speer bullets group above their price point.

Not in my Tikka they don't they are a bit so so in the Fed Factory offering, I've got some to try in reloads along with some 125gn Sierras and some 150gn Pro Hunters and some other 150gn bullets, hopefully something will show an improvement over the factory ammo.

Mind you the 130gn Speers kill well (used them on pigs with good effect, mild on the shoulders too which is good. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2019, 11:12 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
100_5508.JPG
Who here has used or experimented with these little beasties ??

In particular, Federal 130GR Speer HPs in over the counter factory rounds.
I bought a packet to experiment with to see how they perform.

It was almost a perfect afternoon, and I set up this target at 170 meters. (edit to say, black square is 30mm x 30mm and impacts are 20mm apart)

1st shot was a 165gr Australian Outback "solid" factory round.
2nd shot was a 130 gr Federal "Hollow Point" factory round.

I made no sight adjustments before or in between.

Then I started to run out of daylight so packed up,,,,,, but the initial results are promising, as I thought there would be a greater difference (poi) between the two differing rounds.
For pigs or dogs, from a general hunting perspective I think it would be good enough,, but maybe I'll tweak things tomorrow to get a closer average between the two differing rounds.
My purpose being that I have two magazines and intend on filling one with HPs and the other with solids.
Then with only the one rifle it'll be a simple swap to be best equipped for either pigs or dogs/cats whichever ones front up.

What sort of results have you other guys had with the Hollow Points ? as these are a first for me.

I personally wouldn't be stuffing around carrying 2 diff mags with ammo, I'd rather have the one round I like and just use that on everything you mentioned, it will kill all them well. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Dec 2019, 11:34 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
I personally wouldn't be stuffing around carrying 2 diff mags with ammo, I'd rather have the one round I like and just use that on everything you mentioned, it will kill all them well. :thumbsup:

NOT carrying BF,, Just sitting in the Taj Mahall (or "Camilla" as my partner has labelled it,,, (the 3rd person in the relationship she said)

So its just like having the extra mag sitting on my office desk, and simply slip whichever one in at any given time of choice during the night.
:D :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 24 Dec 2019, 5:38 am

A few blokes I know call those HP’s “flying ashtrays” as they expand nicely.
My mates Tikka loves them, whereas mine prefers the OSA Buffalo River 135gr HP’s.
Great hunting rounds.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 24 Dec 2019, 6:47 am

Ive played with the 135gr sierra hollowpoints, they shot pretty well out of a tikka t3, it was a while ago now about 3 years, if i remember correctly they shot 5 shots at just over or just under 1 MOA. have not tried them through my lithgow yet but indefinably will be.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Dec 2019, 9:04 am

Die Judicii wrote:
NOT carrying BF,, Just sitting in the Taj Mahall (or "Camilla" as my partner has labelled it,,, (the 3rd person in the relationship she said)

So its just like having the extra mag sitting on my office desk, and simply slip whichever one in at any given time of choice during the night.
:D :thumbsup:

Fair enough mate, for me I'd rather stick to one or the other and know it's diff POI at diff ranges for a more certain shot if you know what I mean (too hard for me to remember all the diff POI with diff weight projectiles I need to keep it KISS these days LOL :D

Have a great Xmas mate :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 24 Dec 2019, 10:16 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Not in my Tikka they don't they are a bit so so in the Fed Factory offering, I've got some to try in reloads along with some 125gn Sierras and some 150gn Pro Hunters and some other 150gn bullets, hopefully something will show an improvement over the factory ammo.

Mind you the 130gn Speers kill well (used them on pigs with good effect, mild on the shoulders too which is good. :thumbsup:

Can’t speak about the factory stuff (hardly shoot it) - but the speer 130gr bullet will group over the right recipe
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wapiti » 24 Dec 2019, 12:17 pm

Die Judicci I have used a few hundred of these factory rounds, they shoot to the same POI as my 125gn handloads in a Rem 700 Heavy barrel bolt gun.

I tried them as they were available in bulk for about a buck a round, and it's pretty busy with the drought right now so no reloading.

They are very explosive. In my rifle they are very accurate. I shoot kangaroos with them that are eating the roots of the grasses out of the ground. . Yeah I know I could use a 223 but I have my reasons.

My permit says I have to headshot roos, but if the hit is in the neck, it's not very pretty. A dog or a fox, very dead. But a pig of average seize and up or a boar, headshoot only, behind the ear is good. They are very lightly constructed and screaming along.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Dec 2019, 3:30 pm

If i recall correctly your usually chasing, dogs, foxes, fallow, pigs, maybe reds.

I have used 180gr interlocks sucsessfully on sambar, goats down to foxes with no issue. They all fell over quick smart.

If i were you, dont bother, just settle on a load say 150 or 160gr and they will work ok.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Dec 2019, 4:43 pm

Oldbloke wrote:If i recall correctly your usually chasing, dogs, foxes, fallow, pigs, maybe reds.

I have used 180gr interlocks sucsessfully on sambar, goats down to foxes with no issue. They all fell over quick smart.

If i were you, dont bother, just settle on a load say 150 or 160gr and they will work ok.

Hee Hee,,,,, Not often your right, but your wrong this time.
I don't chase the Fallow, Reds, or for that matter Sambar.

My main drive is to be able to handle (with ease) mainly either dogs or pigs, by using the two different rounds.
And yes I'm aware of other calibers and their capabilities.
In fact,,,,,, most of the pics of pigs that I've put up have been handled efficiently with my trusty 22/250

:drinks: :friends: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Dec 2019, 5:43 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Hee Hee,,,,, Not often your right, but your wrong this time.
I don't chase the Fallow, Reds, or for that matter Sambar.

My main drive is to be able to handle (with ease) mainly either dogs or pigs, by using the two different rounds.
And yes I'm aware of other calibers and their capabilities.
In fact,,,,,, most of the pics of pigs that I've put up have been handled efficiently with my trusty 22/250

:drinks: :friends: :thumbsup:

Mmmm..... what Im saying is 1 bullet will do the job on all. There is little need to use 2 different weights. It just com p licates matters. Just pick one. 130 or 150 will do everything for you.

PS if you ask my mrs she knows Im always right. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Dec 2019, 6:05 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Mmmm..... what Im saying is 1 bullet will do the job on all. There is little need to use 2 different weights. It just com p licates matters. Just pick one. 130 or 150 will do everything for you.

PS if you ask my mrs she knows Im always right. Lol

What you are saying does undeniably make sense,,,,,,,,,,,
I just (because I can) like the notion of making a big mess out of feral cats/dogs/foxes with the HPs

Dunno about asking yer Missus though,,,,,,, shouldn't she be in the kitchen cooking the man some f@cking eggs ????? :unknown:

:lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Dec 2019, 6:25 pm

Sorry, confused u with BFS
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Dec 2019, 6:54 pm

in2anity wrote:
Can’t speak about the factory stuff (hardly shoot it) - but the speer 130gr bullet will group over the right recipe

That's what I figure too mate, just a matter of finding what it likes and going from there, :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by goldiexxxx » 11 Jan 2020, 7:41 am

The Federal Vital Shock 130gr ammo is very popular here in North Queensland for hunting pigs. They have the nickname hand-grenades due to their explosive behaviour on solid game animals. As already stated, they are loaded with the Speer 130gr HP Varmint projectile, which are priced well below most other options to reloaders. As a result, many hunters, myself included, reload to replicate the Federal ammunition.
The 130gr Varmint projectile, creates a different, but equally devastating wound to other heavier projectiles designed for full penetration. If you are only looking at feral eradication, and no meat harvest, then these projectiles do the job well on any pigs, dogs, chital deer and goats. The huge hollow point expands quickly with all of the energy expended within the body of the animal; very efficient!
The Speer 130gr HP, as well as the Sierra 135gr equivalent, are great for hunting and are deadly accurate at hunting distances.

Loads that myself and my mate use with this projectile:
Ruger Gunsite Scout 308
48gr AR2208

Tikka T3 Ultralite
47gr AR2208

Hope I have provided some valuable assistance.
Goldie
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 11 Jan 2020, 8:32 am

Mate I have used the 130gr Speer HP in my CZ 308 and they shoot nicely. My complaint is that they are a bit to delicate for pigs at close ranges as you would expect being a varmint projectile. I found they worked quite nicely on pigs at ranges circa 150-200m when they had slowed down a bit. At really close ranges there was just to much expansion and no penetration From memory I had them going somewhere around 3000fps. Well that is my personal experience with them anyhow.
They work well out of the 300AAC where they are doing around 2000fps.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 11 Jan 2020, 12:26 pm

i have used them for a few years now on goats,,they just shudder and drop,,47grn of bm2 moves them about 3050fps and groups moa at a hundred from my ruger 308,,makes a messy hole on foxes as well :thumbsup: (speer)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Tank » 11 Jan 2020, 12:52 pm

+1 AM88.
135gr Sierra Varmints are dynamite and in my T3 Lite shoot sub MOA 5 shot groups at 100M
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by 2 Clicks Up » 08 May 2022, 4:46 pm

I’ve been loading the Speer130 Grain in my 308, and they group spectacularly. 0.5 MOA all day. They have ample stopping power, you can still get them, and the load for them is reasonably mild, so they’re quite nice to shoot.
2 Clicks Up
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bello » 10 May 2022, 9:47 am

Hi Mate
I am now using the OSA 135gr bullets in my 308 rifles.
This pic below, is the 135gr stuff, I sighted my sons 308 rifle in for him at 200 meters, its half an inch.
With this accuracy and consistency, and the fact that I don't take too many shots with the 308, its so much more convenient to just buy bulk and not worry.
I have sooo many projectiles and load combinations I tried for the 308, this is a no brainer for me
Attachments
sierra 135gr.jpg
sierra 135gr.jpg (40.39 KiB) Viewed 6630 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 10 May 2022, 11:57 am

:sarcasm: Not bad 1 shot groups
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Bello » 10 May 2022, 1:33 pm

Hi Northdude
I understand your sarcasm... :lol:

But to clarify;
I don't see the point of trying to fire five or 10 shot groups out of my hunting 308 rifle (Sako finnlight).
In a hunting scenario, I would only fire one shot before everything else scatters.
When I do my ladder testing for load development, I fire a two or may 3 shot group to try and replicate what I expect from that load in the field.

It has worked for me.
M2c :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2022, 7:58 pm

Bello wrote:Hi Mate
I am now using the OSA 135gr bullets in my 308 rifles.
This pic below, is the 135gr stuff, I sighted my sons 308 rifle in for him at 200 meters, its half an inch.
With this accuracy and consistency, and the fact that I don't take too many shots with the 308, its so much more convenient to just buy bulk and not worry.
I have sooo many projectiles and load combinations I tried for the 308, this is a no brainer for me

OSA bullets? Do you mean their factory ammunition?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 11 May 2022, 6:48 am

I think the OSA factory loads use the 135gn Sierra HP.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bello » 11 May 2022, 8:51 am

Hi All
Yes, the loaded factory bullets (Buffalo river OSA), they have the sierra 135 HP projectiles.
Nasty little suckers. :D
I have only used them on small to medium size pigs, deer, fox and grass hoppers.
I find that within 200 meters they tend to make a descent mess.
No longer use them on deer due to the meat wastage.
I understand Bufflo River now have a 165gr Sierra Game king as well. I haven't tried them as yet.
They are probably just as accurate
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics