.222 Magnum build

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

.222 Magnum build

Post by Am88 » 14 Jan 2020, 11:10 am

I wasn't really going to bother with this, but bugger it some people might find it interesting. Some of you may have picked up from other threads I'm getting a barrel put on a CMC Mountaineer action I picked up already chambered in .223 with a Varmint barrel. Got the phone call and made payment last Friday from that it's ready to go so it should be here this week hopefully.

I was never really going to do anything to this other then bed the action, planned on leaving the stock and just using it, but I got the stock back out of the cupboard last night and I'm not happy with it so looks like I'm taking on another project. First is to strip the finish, got the bits yesterday arve from bunnings will get into that this arve. Also the original swivel stud holes are a bit flogged out and the studs are loose and sloppy, I have some 3/8" oak dowel left at home from another job so will drill the holes out and fill them. Length of pull also needs to be longer.

This is as I got the rifle.
Attachments
CMC .223 3.jpg
CMC .223 3.jpg (19.11 KiB) Viewed 7627 times
CMC .223 2.jpg
CMC .223 2.jpg (18.71 KiB) Viewed 7627 times
CMC .223 1.jpg
CMC .223 1.jpg (18.65 KiB) Viewed 7627 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: .222 Magnum build

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 14 Jan 2020, 12:03 pm

Im interested in the 222 mag as a calibre and how the shoot i have a 222 and love it to death but see it big brother and thinking that perhaps they would have a simler manner
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 14 Jan 2020, 12:14 pm

Pretty much what I have read states that the magnum is meant to be a more inherently accurate and forgiving cartridge then the .222. So very interested myself in doing the testing when done.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 14 Jan 2020, 12:34 pm

l like the cmc mountianeers Am88
l have one in 308 that my uncle used for deer for years, it shoots very well although the barrel is worn, it has the howa butt plate
l like the triggers in these better than the newer howa triggers. l recon they are worth while putting a new tube on and giving a birthday
l have spoken to a good gunsmith about rebarreling and after he stopped laughing he said most people would say they aren't worth it
but his opinion is they are and he has been having this argument for years with guys who want to do up other brands
like the mauser 98's l rebuild you are not going to get your money back so keep it, its great to do what you can yourself and save some coin for bullets
cant wait to see more :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 14 Jan 2020, 1:26 pm

Well today is a happy day as be buggered it just turned up in the post :lol: lucky I'm not walking around with this one. :clap: total lead time I waited was 9 weeks, Allan originally told me 8 so 1 extra week and over Christmas I couldn't complain.

24", 1/12" twist, Krieger #17 profile
Attachments
CMC .222mag 2.jpg
CMC .222mag 2.jpg (193.65 KiB) Viewed 7602 times
CMC .222mag.jpg
CMC .222mag.jpg (169.96 KiB) Viewed 7602 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 14 Jan 2020, 1:27 pm

good to hear marksman, I will get my gunsmith to have a look at the trigger, I will see how light he can get it and go from there, otherwise I have heard Maddco's triggers are awesome
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Jan 2020, 1:34 pm

Am88 wrote:Pretty much what I have read states that the magnum is meant to be a more inherently accurate and forgiving cartridge then the .222. So very interested myself in doing the testing when done.

Who is saying that? Big call as the 222 won every accuracy competition in the 50s and 60s. It would be interesting to see what the Mag can do with a match grade barrel and modern powders.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 14 Jan 2020, 1:51 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Who is saying that? Big call as the 222 won every accuracy competition in the 50s and 60s. It would be interesting to see what the Mag can do with a match grade barrel and modern powders.

Just something I have read while I was researching the caliber, probably hogwash but I did see in the states there are still some bench rest shooters shooting it.

If we want to see how good it performs I may need to hire another shooter :lol:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 14 Jan 2020, 2:05 pm

What twist rate did you end up going with?
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 14 Jan 2020, 3:00 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:What twist rate did you end up going with?

1/12" mate
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Jan 2020, 3:11 pm

I think the 222 Mag will be a great little round shooting some very respectable groups. It was shot in competition in the 60s, I do not recall what sort of success it had. The biggest problem today is the lack of quality brass, Norma make some 204 brass and you could neck it up but you would probably need to neck turn.

I hear guys saying that the 222 Rem is as accurate or even more accurate than a PPC but every record and every competition is won by the PPC. Take these claims with a pinch of salt, I bet the guys saying this stuff do not compete with the 222. In saying that I love the 222 case and think everyone should own one.

All credit to you in chambering your rifle in 222 Mag, I am sure you will get tons of enjoyment from it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 14 Jan 2020, 3:38 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I think the 222 Mag will be a great little round shooting some very respectable groups. It was shot in competition in the 60s, I do not recall what sort of success it had. The biggest problem today is the lack of quality brass, Norma make some 204 brass and you could neck it up but you would probably need to neck turn.

I hear guys saying that the 222 Rem is as accurate or even more accurate than a PPC but every record and every competition is won by the PPC. Take these claims with a pinch of salt, I bet the guys saying this stuff do not compete with the 222. In saying that I love the 222 case and think everyone should own one.

All credit to you in chambering your rifle in 222 Mag, I am sure you will get tons of enjoyment from it.

Agree on the brass, I didn't even consider the rifle until I knew I could get brass, hence purchased 200 Sako cases and 250 Nosler cases, Rebel gun works get it in still a fair bit, in fact the gentleman told me last time it came in some older bloke bought 1000 cases off him, so it still has a loyal follower out there. I'm on the wait list when it comes back in stock and Ill probably get another couple of boxes.

I myself a big fan of the .222, maybe the PPC is a bit like the creedmore, latest and greatest thing that everyone must use, it took them a while to break Mac Macmillans record but :lol: , I know there are a few in the states from forums I read, some of those groups PPC blokes put out are awesome.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Jan 2020, 6:33 pm

Yes the PPC is the latest and greatest but you flatter the Creedmoor with your comparison with the case that has dominated short range benchrest for nearly fifty years. It is difficult to improve on group size when the group was nearly perfect but aggregates have come down with the PPC more significantly.

There are a number of improved 222 Mag with 40 and even 45 degree shoulders, were you tempted to use one of them?

Baretta say that Sako brass is made in Finland, so they could be making it themselves. I like Sako and Tikka brass, it appears to be very good quality.

Nosler brass is a bit of a mystery, I have heard that Norma and Federal make some of their brass.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 14 Jan 2020, 7:11 pm

Hey Am88...

I got 204 Nosler brass a while back (the 250 pack) & wasnt all that impressed with it to tell the truth...

The weight difference between the first 15 cases i checked were so far spread i didnt hold much hope i would get a decent batch...

None the less, i persevered with full match type prep of the cases, & blow me down, its fantastic...!!
the lowest weight 100 cases are only one grain between the extreme lightest to the heaviest...AND thats without culling the really light ones that are outside the batches 'apparent' weight grouping...

If i picked 150 cases from the middle of the lot, i could get them with no more than probably half a grain difference from memory...

Having said that, there was a lot of work in doing them all, & i got a good decent amount of brass (shavings) out of them from all the primer pockets & flash holes etc, but in the end, all worth the effort i rekon...
I had 3 rejects out of 250 all up--they were split necks from new...
ive only fired about 140 rounds though--100 cases once, & 40 of those have had a second hit so far...so cant speak for longevity yet--although im pretty confident itll shine if i look after it...

Anyway...just thought id let you know my experience so far with the bulk 250 pack of Nosler brass in case its of interest...

Cheers... :)

By the way im looking forward to seeing how you get on with this little puppy... :)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 14 Jan 2020, 7:31 pm

As an alternative to using dowel in the swivel mounts, you could do what I did on my .17 bolt handle, and use epoxy. Might be neater. I have used JB Weld recently, but I reckon Pro-Weld Cold Steel sets harder than the JB, and is better for filing and tapping etc when needed.

What are your plans for the stock?
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 14 Jan 2020, 7:55 pm

Always interested Stix, I only opened the Nosler stuff to check same case capacity as Sako brass to be honest. But interested to see if mines all the same, first time with Nosler brass.

GQshayne probably not going to go too overboard with this one, I will give this one a bit of use and in the ute they can cop a ding or two as I have found. I just don't like the feel of half a bloody mm thick varnish in my hands, took a bit to get off. I'll put a recoil pad on it simply to get some thickness for length of pull, I'll get a new grip cap, and thanks for the tip on the JB weld that would look nicer I reckon being dark grey. I have never used tru oil but I will probably get to the time and just use the BLO, varnish and turps mix.

SCJ I have never actually had an improved cartridge, don't the sharper shoulders effect brass life? Cannot say I've already looked into it. I guess you could consider me a novice when it comes to improved and wildcat cartridges.

I tell ya what it's some bloody good varnish or whatever it is, I'd recommend it on a kitchen table :lol: bit of sanding in the barrel channel for fit but luckily it was already pretty hogged out when I got it.
Attachments
IMG20200114192432.jpg
IMG20200114192432.jpg (1005.37 KiB) Viewed 7563 times
IMG20200114193716.jpg
IMG20200114193716.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 7563 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 15 Jan 2020, 8:49 am

I appear to have a bit of oil soak as to be expected around the rear action screw, I was watching Larry Potterfield dunk a stock in a tub of acetone last night in one of his youtube video's to remove oil from the timber, acetone must be bloody cheap over there but I don't really want to spend 30 bucks to waste a tub of acetone, or do I have to bite the bullet and just do it, or possibly best to just leave it be. I think I'm going to take you up on the JB weld Idea too GQShayne, found the tubes last night.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 15 Jan 2020, 9:41 am

Nice project Am88, have you considered the 223 AI ? a mate just had an AI reamer run in his Ruger, easy enough to fire form factory rounds and case capacity can improve up to 7 to 8% so another 150fps or so.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 15 Jan 2020, 10:18 am

I did look at it briefly, as said to SCJ I'm a bit novice when it comes to things like that, I don't have any improved cartridges as of yet in my collection nor wildcats other then my .25-06. It could be not true I don't know just an article I read somewhere on the .222rem that's it's long neck design may contribute to it's accuracy, and the .222mag shares that nice long neck. There's that many little snippets like that floating in my head that I remember here and there 80% of them probably a bull :lol:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Jan 2020, 10:42 am

It was the thinking that long necks have an advantage in presenting the bullet straight to the lands but use of Tangent or hybrid ogive designs make long necks less important. The shorter neck of the Dasher or BRX is no disadvantage over the standard BR case design. I would say that good quality brass will make more of a difference to accuracy.

Wildcats are fun and a 40 degree shoulder on your 222 Mag would look outrageous and as far as case life goes may improve things. My 243AI needs little trimming compared to a standard 243. The steep shoulder angle seems to prevent the brass flowing into the neck.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 15 Jan 2020, 12:00 pm

One day I will probably get something, gotta be honest this is the first rifle I've built, re chambered or done anything like this, so its a learning curve. I'm wanting to look into a new scope now too, all of my rifles that are scoped now are adorned with fixed power scopes, be it 4 power, 6 power or 8 power. I done a quick dummy fit last night with a VX2 4-12x40, and with medium height Talley's that I would like to keep it at, there is enough clearance under to fit MAYBE a 50mm objective lens depending on the maker and bell thickness etc, a fixed 10x42 Schmidt and Bender would top if off nicely I think, or even a old fixed 12 power Leupold. I will do some proper measurements tonight and compare bell sizes on Cad as scope manufacturers give you the measurements.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 15 Jan 2020, 7:23 pm

Have you steamed your stock yet???? That will help to lift out dents etc and will also remove any filler or stain that is left behind. Next trick after that is a high flash point solvent. Like you, I do not have a supply of acetone, but brake cleaner is available anywhere and will do the job. Also, warm water with dishwashing liquid, and give it a good scrub.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 16 Jan 2020, 6:55 am

Haven't steamed yet GQShayne, I spent the afternoon mucking around with the barrel channel, don't have much time in the afternoons but hopefully will get a good go at this weekend. I did drill out the old swivel stud holes last night while I was mucking around, luckily the old studs dented the timber and left a nice round print on the wood so the edges did not break away when I drilled them.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2020, 7:54 am

I heard some where caustic soda solution to remove oil. Sounds drastic though. Perhaps ask around or google it
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 17 Jan 2020, 11:11 am

Read that last night actually oldbloke, dunno how keen I am on the idea, also saw another bloke reckons the caustic soda stains walnut black, Don't even know if this stock is walnut to be honest.

Got a bit excited when I seen these, brand new bottom metal complete with magazine. The paint is all coming off the factory one and a bit of corrosion, this one will look much nicer, the action already has Howa written on it so not too stressed about the writing.
Attachments
Howa Bottom Metal.jpg
Howa Bottom Metal.jpg (360.43 KiB) Viewed 7446 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 20 Jan 2020, 9:05 am

Was a big weekend so didn't get as much done as I would have liked, got the barrel channel to a stage where I could would on the pillars and do the bedding so I have repetition when I put it in the check the barrel channel, I have something I want to try with that later on anyway to stiffen it now I have so much material removed. I made up a couple of rests out of bog in the barrel channel to take to weight of the barrel so it does not affect my bedding. Made up 2 pillars at home, done a test fit to get length, worked out really well so happy about that, just need to lathe a couple of grooves in them. Coming along slowly :drinks:
Attachments
Pillars.jpg
Pillars.jpg (432.04 KiB) Viewed 7423 times
Barrel Channel.jpg
Barrel Channel.jpg (228.97 KiB) Viewed 7423 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Jan 2020, 6:04 pm

thats a good way of doing it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 21 Jan 2020, 9:10 am

Got it happening last night, attached the pillars sorry no photo’s of them forgot, get myself setup with the bench, couple of Jack Daniels to settle the nerves and mixed up the Devcon, never pillar bedded a rifle before so I think it went well, used counter sunk bolts to centre the pillars to the bolt holes, ground down the counter sunk head to be smaller then the pillar. Popped it out this morning and all looks good, one lesson learnt, on previous rifles I used to put way to much bedding compound around the rear screw, and it was always so much to clean it all up after the process, so I said to myself this time I will just use less, I didn’t bloody use enough :lol: not to worry it just didn’t come up and squeeze out the back, now there is a gap around the rear tang bit.

I couldn’t help myself, I had to do a dummy fit with a scope, that is using medium DNZ reaper one piece rings. Coming along.
Attachments
Bedding 1.jpg
Bedding 1.jpg (147.65 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
CMC .222mag.jpg
CMC .222mag.jpg (355.47 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 21 Jan 2020, 9:42 am

That will work nicely
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 21 Jan 2020, 12:42 pm

your going to be charging big money for this soon :thumbsup: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Gunsmithing