Possible cutting techniques

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Possible cutting techniques

Post by Blr243 » 15 Jan 2020, 5:47 pm

The other day I heard or read something about fox shooters useing dog treats ( smackos ) to lure foxes. I thinking of chopping them up finely eg pea size or fingernail size and spread them around the vicinity of my favourite waterhole. Full straps will be gobbled up quickly. I want the foxes and cats to be attracted to the smell and them take forever to run around finding them. I want them to really work for it. This will keeep them within rifle range for longer and maximise my results. I don’t have a blender. Just chaseing your thoughts about how to go about it the quickest way to turn straps into particles. I never was one to just tough it out and do labour intensive stuff forever
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Possible cutting techniques

Post by marksman » 15 Jan 2020, 6:07 pm

just however you do it make sure you dont get it smelling like you :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ricochet » 15 Jan 2020, 6:09 pm

You could always try a cheese grater or try a potato peeler on the ends like your whittling.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Farmerpete » 15 Jan 2020, 6:17 pm

This probly wont work with smackos but Some of the other liver treats are pretty brittle id try wrapping up the packet (after letting the air out) and hitting with a hammer
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Jan 2020, 7:33 pm

Very good points men. I may end up flogging the hell out of it with a hammer while still in the bag
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by scoot » 15 Jan 2020, 8:06 pm

An old cocky once told me to use kidney or liver chopped up into small cubes and tossed around or poked under brush/dirt. His rationale was a lot of his sheep/lambs always had their kidneys taken when attacked by dogs or foxes so they love it.
Never tried it but it seems plausible. :unknown:
They do say dogs go wacko for smacko's.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 15 Jan 2020, 8:20 pm

Personally i wouldnt destroy the bag...

Once youve removed what you want, leave a couple in there...seal the bag being half full of air, & maybe with a little water int, along a couple of smako's...then leave it out in the sun for a couple of hours...

Take an off-cut of house mesh with you, cut in the shape of a "T", as they use to pin down the membrane prior to pouring house slabs, & use one of them to pierce & pin the bag to the ground...
The odour will slowly release, acting like a burly if you will... :thumbsup:

As for the smako's, id be more incined to drag them around the area on a rope/string...they are only foxes, & this time of year they are not as worried about your smell as say leading into gestation time...but having said that, marksman is right...still be dilligent & not wipe your feramones all over them...
Throw the odd bit out as you say for a teaser...
The only thing is, you mention the pigs smelt you last time...so you might need a shang-eye to launch the smako's out there... :lol:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 15 Jan 2020, 8:28 pm

The big old meat chopper Asian style is the best for chopping stuff like that up.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Potatoes » 15 Jan 2020, 11:01 pm

Ive used a sling shot with a sizable pouch to spread fish burley. Maybe that would work to spread smackos or smashed liver so you don’t have to walk near to where you’re putting it.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jan 2020, 3:56 pm

I have a small hand operated guillotine for cutting sheet metal and thinish flat bar. I ended up useing that .... I might go buy a few more bags of smackos too. I’ll take the slingshot just in case but have not yet thoroughly thought out the distribution method. Thanks for your ideas.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jan 2020, 4:18 pm

Could not find disposable gloves so wrapped my hand in plastic bag so I could isolate my scent from the treats ... wind was blowing bad so plastic bag became difficult and could potentially have buggered my vision and guilotine my fingers so I ditched the bag and hope d for the best. Now 20 mins later back in the house typing on my iPad I can smell smackos on my fingers so that means game will smell me on their treats. So just goes to show how carefull, we need to be with scent transfer
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jan 2020, 6:27 pm

Why not kill two birds with one stone,,,,,,

Feed the smakos to yer dog (he'll make sure they are minced up) after soaking them in cod liver oil,,,,, then stand at the ready with a plastic bag behind him.

Gloves would be an optional extra. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jan 2020, 7:37 pm

DJ I think u might be celebrating the rain with red wine
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jan 2020, 3:13 pm

Blr243 wrote:DJ I think u might be celebrating the rain with red wine

Could be Mate,,,,,,,,,
But you certainly don't want me to be celebrating with Tequila, I can guarantee that. :D
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 9:31 pm

Do they still make the tequila two worm bottle ? Any spirit that makes you drunk enough to eat dead worms afterwards can’t be good for you long term. When I was younger I thought it was a bit funny that they should put two worms in a bottle and that drunk people would eat them .... but now I think it’s all a bit primitive. So. Who here has dined on the worms at the bottom of the tequila bottle ? And I promise I won’t think any lesss of you !
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Jan 2020, 11:58 am

Don't know Mate,,, haven't seen the two worm bottles.
But then again I haven't drank tequila for many years,,,, I had to ban myself from partaking it.

I'm ok on anything else,,, but not that.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 21 Jan 2020, 9:06 am

Makes sense if you are sharing a bottle. When you get to the bottom it becomes the I will if you will or the drinking game thing. No I haven't done it, Ive only had tequila a few times at the persistence of friends. Not really my thing.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by snag » 22 Jan 2020, 7:38 pm

Back to the original question..... I don't know about dog treats, but bag of blood and bone or a box of home brand dry cat food (any flavour) has worked for us. Sprinkle trails from all directions leading to your shooting gallery. Do a bit of whistling as well, has given us good results.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jan 2020, 11:13 pm

Blood and bone sure stinks. , no shortage of odour attractant there
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation