Tools near your safe

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Tools near your safe

Post by Macross » 13 Jan 2020, 3:47 pm

I recall seeing a post from someone mentioning that they had a safe inspection that had an issue flagged when tools where noticed being stored near the safe. Does this only refer to things like angle grinders etc or would a pegboard with hand tools like screw drivers and spanners etc also fall into the same category. The tools on the board wouldn't really be my go to things to have a crack at opening up the safe, but not sure if that would pass the plod test or not.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Tools near your safe

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jan 2020, 5:21 pm

Macross wrote:I recall seeing a post from someone mentioning that they had a safe inspection that had an issue flagged when tools where noticed being stored near the safe. Does this only refer to things like angle grinders etc or would a pegboard with hand tools like screw drivers and spanners etc also fall into the same category. The tools on the board wouldn't really be my go to things to have a crack at opening up the safe, but not sure if that would pass the plod test or not.

And other heavy duty cutting gear. Not screwdrivers etc

P.S. I just lock my bolt cutters and angle grinder in a tool box
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 17 Jan 2020, 6:24 pm

Iv read the weapons act a few times and don't recall anything prohibiting tools near your safe but it's probably not ideal
being said if a criminal wanted into your safe and your not home I'm pretty sure they wouldn't think twice about grabbing the grinder from the garage to cut open the safe in your bedroom
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jan 2020, 6:38 pm

I don’t have guards on my grinders , so hopefully a piece of disc flys off and lodges in the burglars cornea. Nasty piece of work I am
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cracker » 18 Jan 2020, 1:39 pm

Macross wrote:I recall seeing a post from someone mentioning that they had a safe inspection that had an issue flagged when tools where noticed being stored near the safe. Does this only refer to things like angle grinders etc or would a pegboard with hand tools like screw drivers and spanners etc also fall into the same category. The tools on the board wouldn't really be my go to things to have a crack at opening up the safe, but not sure if that would pass the plod test or not.

dont think theres anything written in legislation, its just a stupid idea to have a grinder/massive crow bar next to a safe.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Jan 2020, 2:25 pm

Blr243 wrote:I don’t have guards on my grinders , so hopefully a piece of disc flys off and lodges in the burglars cornea. Nasty piece of work I am

Yes guards are a PITA BLR...agreed...

But i have mine on for that reason...& only take them off for the exception now...
Put a new cutting disk on once--admittedly a real cheapie...& something was strange about how it was cutting--but only a very subtle difference, nothing to get worried about...
The cut was crooked & i swore at myself for such a shyte cut despite my best efforts...when the machine stopped there was a crack in the disk & a chunk only held by the fibres...god only knows how much longer it wouldve held on for before it lodged in my leg or something...

Be careful bloke...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jan 2020, 5:39 pm

Everybody Beware of Aldi discs.! They separate at the drop of a hat. I actually meant to write to Aldi to warn them in the interests of protecting anyone who might purchase them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jan 2020, 5:40 pm

Everybody Beware of Aldi discs.! They separate at the drop of a hat. I actually meant to write to Aldi to warn them in the interests of protecting anyone who might purchase them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 18 Jan 2020, 8:12 pm

This thread has reminded me to sort out some of my power tools. :drinks:
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Jan 2020, 8:17 pm

I usually get mikita discs from the green store. But someone mentioned dewalt here, they were on a great price.

Also tools are generally of quite low quality, but good to have as a second pair.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 18 Jan 2020, 11:46 pm

The thing with disks is that they can fail because of maltreatment at any stage from manufacture to end user. Always inspect them for damage before use no matter how good the brand.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wapiti » 20 Jan 2020, 10:50 am

You must never remove the guard on an angle grinder. If you think you have to, you should stop and rethink your procedure.

I heard a story from a neighbour who had an inspection who had his safe in a locked room in an old shed. On the bench was a grinder and discs all over the place. The copper mentioned this and that, if a thief used a tool left out that breached his safe storage easily, it would constitute breaking the bit in the act that said something like he could be stung with not "taking all necessary steps available" to deny firearms being stolen.
I'd reckon that would leave you having to defend that accusation in court, and that'd be a bugger.
If guns would get stolen with your own tools, coppers around here are quite sensitive to that happening and that would definitely suck. They are big on that in country areas, at least, because it's happening more and more.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Macross » 20 Jan 2020, 1:29 pm

Wapiti wrote:he could be stung with not "taking all necessary steps available" to deny firearms being stolen.
I'd reckon that would leave you having to defend that accusation in court, and that'd be a bugger.

Interesting point Wapiti. I wouldn't like to have to front up to the magistrate and explain why my angle grinder was in arms reach of the safe.... while he ponders whether or not that constitutes a breach of the act.

I don't have any power tools in the room... just a peg board with a bunch of hand tools - spanners, screw drivers, pliers and the like. The only thing that I think may end up getting moved is my battery drill, which even though its not going to help anyone getting my guns, it just takes all possible options out of the scenario I guess. Not had a safe inspection scheduled so far, but will post back here if the boys in blue give me any feedback when they do eventually pop round.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jan 2020, 7:41 pm

I m not a steel worker but I do use Angle grinders all the time. Mostly mini discs Prob five times a day. 250 days of the year. That’s 1250 times a year multiply that by 30 years and I think it’s 37,500 times I have used grinders without a guard. ( and other than 27 missing fingers I have a total of zero injuries from disc. ) I don’t think I will be ever allowed to work in wapitis shed That’s a shame because I would love to hear stories about bull elk bugleing in the mountains on a misty morning .... But I do believe in glasses and muffs ...... I know people who have cut themselves with minidiscs but some people are always going to cut themselves
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws