Corona virus

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Prepping for corona and the breakdown of society

Post by trekin » 01 Feb 2020, 8:07 am

Am88 wrote:I'm a bit shocked no one has claimed the virus is caused by global warming actually :lol:

And when they do, it will be us poor bloody Aussies who will be blamed because of all the pollution we pump out.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 01 Feb 2020, 8:33 am

Am88 wrote:I'm a bit shocked no one has claimed the virus is caused by global warming actually :lol:

I saw a report the other day that said a side effect of the lockdown in Wuhan was a noticeable reduction of airbourne polutants in that city. Maybe we have hit criticle mass and now good old mother nature is taking a hand in reducing polution by reducing the population of the worst offending country.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 01 Feb 2020, 8:50 am

People are craping on about Chinas ability to contain the Virus. Can you think of any other country that would or could put a city of 11 million people into lockdown?

s**t just think if that would even ever be possible in Australia in citys like Sydney or Melboune. No trains, No public transport of any kind, no planes in or out domestic or international.

Its not just China's politics that enable that lockdown to occur but the people of China themselves being very responsible, understanding of the impact they can have on the rest of the country and the world.

Wait till a virus happens in India and then its time to be worried. It will take off and spread like wildfire.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by trekin » 01 Feb 2020, 8:56 am

sungazer wrote:People are craping on about Chinas ability to contain the Virus. Can you think of any other country that would or could put a city of 11 million people into lockdown?

s**t just think if that would even ever be possible in Australia in citys like Sydney or Melboune. No trains, No public transport of any kind, no planes in or out domestic or international.

Its not just China's politics that enable that lockdown to occur but the people of China themselves being very responsible, understanding of the impact they can have on the rest of the country and the world.

Wait till a virus happens in India and then its time to be worried. It will take off and spread like wildfire.

As at yesterday, India had one reported case, if this virus does have an R0 rating of between 2.0 and 3.1, as they say it has, then there should be at least four more new cases cases reported today.
And I don't thinh anyone is critising China'a abilty to contain it, which is pretty easy to do when the population knows the threat to shoot is real.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by perentie » 02 Feb 2020, 7:07 am

just imagine though if this disease (or any deadly virus) spreads to a third world African country or south american country, potentially could have tens of thousands dead, and the 3rd world country probably cannot pay for vaccines as well so drugs will need to be subsidized by western countries[/quote]
All the countries where infections have been recorded, some of which may be considered third world by some (at least their health care services).
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
A lot of worst diseases/viruses start in some of the poorest third world countries.[/quote]

Natures way of reducing our overpopulation. :o
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 02 Feb 2020, 10:33 am

l've first hand seen the effects of a flu/virus from china in a bloke l was working with
this was not corona and was around 5 years ago he got the flu/virus from his chinese wife after she returned from china visiting relos
he was a tight prick and would not go home till after 4 hours we told him he would get paid for the day, he was really sick
this guy ended up in hospital under quarantine the next day with type A influenza, they told him he could have died
when he was released from the hospital he was in lock down at home for a couple of weeks not allowed visitors or to go anywhere,
his wife wore a face mask to do shopping, she did not have the flu full blown and carried it and spread it when she first got back from china
there were reports on the news of small outbreaks in the melbourne region at the time and for people to be careful ect...

this was not an epidemic and considered normal for china
the problem is we are not china and dont want the chinese flu's or viruses here
if my mother were to get she would be dead no questions asked

l agree with perentie "Natures way of reducing our overpopulation"
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 02 Feb 2020, 10:47 am

reported case in India,,this will be the litmus test,if it gets out of control there it will travel everywhere, im all for reducing overpopulation as long as im not one of the reduced
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Feb 2020, 11:13 am

tom604 wrote:reported case in India,,this will be the litmus test,if it gets out of control there it will travel everywhere, im all for reducing overpopulation as long as im not one of the reduced

And that my friend is what needs to happen.

Bit off topic..

Either a bug or nuclear war will get us. More likely than global warming IMO.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 02 Feb 2020, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 02 Feb 2020, 11:23 am

I have a compromised immune system because of medications I take.
I'm a bit worried as we live in an area with lots of Chinese and I'm about to start a job which involves public transport.
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 02 Feb 2020, 12:02 pm

SckSqzBngBlo wrote:I have a compromised immune system because of medications I take.
I'm a bit worried as we live in an area with lots of Chinese and I'm about to start a job which involves public transport.

the wife was saying she read that unless you have been to china recently or have had contact with someone confirmed to have corona the doctors will not test you for it in australia :unknown:

it is a real worry for some, we know a very sick young bloke who is going through chemo at the moment
has had it at home in the past but they want him to go to a melbourne hospital to get it done
if he gets a hint of it he will be gone :unknown:

its been bad enough that the economy is suffering from the bushfire's this will give our economy a big hit as well :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by trekin » 02 Feb 2020, 2:01 pm

tom604 wrote:reported case in India,,this will be the litmus test,if it gets out of control there it will travel everywhere, im all for reducing overpopulation as long as im not one of the reduced

One comfirmed, 8 pending, all returning Indian nationals, all in isolation camp. For a near third world country, India's handling of this leaves the what the Australian Gov't way of handling it in the dust.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 756095.cms
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 02 Feb 2020, 2:41 pm

SckSqzBngBlo wrote:I have a compromised immune system because of medications I take.

are you concerned about white people who may have been to china....
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 02 Feb 2020, 2:44 pm

For those keeping score: 170ish comfirmed cases in 26 countries outside of China, zero deaths from that 170. At 2% fatality rate there should have been 3.5 deaths.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 02 Feb 2020, 3:10 pm

unhealthy older people are less likely to be travelling so the stat is fairly irrelevant trekin

and was there a death in the philipines

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 02 Feb 2020, 3:27 pm

Bill wrote:unhealthy older people are less likely to be travelling so the stat is fairly irrelevant trekin

Yeah just got that update. 44 year old Wuhan escapee who presented to the hospital in Manila on the 25th Jan in pretty bad shape and wasn't really expected to survive.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 02 Feb 2020, 4:02 pm

Bill wrote:unhealthy older people are less likely to be travelling so the stat is fairly irrelevant trekin

There is actually a point of contention about this. He presented at the hospital with his partner, who tested positive and listed as that country's first and only case to date. The contentions is whether his test was a false negitive, or whether the hospital is using the virus as a cover. As a result of this death, I have heard that the Philipines Gov't rounded up all the Chinese tourist and sent them packing. If this is true, then this is another example of a near TWC doing more than the Aust Gov't is doing to protect their countrymen.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Feb 2020, 4:04 pm

trekin wrote:(quote)reported case in India,,this will be the litmus test,if it gets out of control there it will travel everywhere, im all for reducing overpopulation as long as im not one of the reduced/quote
One comfirmed, 8 pending, all returning Indian nationals, all in isolation camp. For a near third world country, India's handling of this leaves the what the Australian Gov't way of handling it in the dust.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 756095.cms

Mate the Australians will enjoy a relaxing lifestyle at a tropical island during quarantine. So not too bad and best of all the taxpayer will fund this luxurious holiday :sarcasm:
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 02 Feb 2020, 4:10 pm

Bill wrote:
are you concerned about white people who may have been to china....

It's Chinese New year, most people who have just returned from China will be Chinese, but yes I am concerned about getting sick from anyone who has been to China whether their skin is yellow or brown or white but not blue coz they be dead already
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Feb 2020, 4:11 pm

Mate its a TWC, the value of human life and standards is not the same. Hundred people die in Philippines or India... no one gives an F. One person dies in Australia or UK and all hell breaks lose.

Plus in TWC, no dole, no superannuation, very likely no free medical and if there was medical available no F given.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bill » 02 Feb 2020, 4:56 pm

well my partner had her temp taken at Peking Int Airport yesterday, again at Shanghai and on arrival today at Sydney. Plane was only 20% full which means lots of butt hurt for the aviation industry.

Her work has now asked that she not attend for 14 days so an extended holiday :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 02 Feb 2020, 5:59 pm

Allowing people into Australia directly from China kind of contradicts the Government wanting to put the people they bring back from china on Christmas Island for 2 weeks. If quarantining one group is necessary then really all people that have been in China recently should be placed in quarantine.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Feb 2020, 6:05 pm

I thought only the wuhan province people were going to Christmas island.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by trekin » 02 Feb 2020, 6:59 pm

Mate the Australians will enjoy a relaxing lifestyle at a tropical island during quarantine. So not too bad and best of all the taxpayer will fund this luxurious holiday :sarcasm:
Yep, living the life of Riley, while the rest of us here have to dodge the pox coming in with the returning Chinee students and tourist aloud to still come here, as long as they promise to self isolation if/when they feel the first symptomes of their pox.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2020, 7:02 pm

Bill wrote:well my partner had her temp taken at Peking Int Airport yesterday, again at Shanghai and on arrival today at Sydney. Plane was only 20% full which means lots of butt hurt for the aviation industry.

Her work has now asked that she not attend for 14 days so an extended holiday :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta be happy with that...!!... :drinks: :D :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by trekin » 02 Feb 2020, 7:09 pm

Ziad wrote:I thought only the wuhan province people were going to Christmas island.

Not even. As of yesterday 01 Jan 20;
"Yesterday, on the advice of the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee and the Communicable Diseases Network Australia, the Prime Minister announced strict new travel restrictions:

Effective immediately, foreign nationals (excluding permanent residents of Australia) who are in mainland China, will not be allowed to enter Australia for 14 days from the time they have left or transited through mainland China.
Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family will still be able to enter Australia, as well as airline crews who have been using appropriate personal protective equipment. These are temporary measures and will be reviewed in 14 days."
The Chrismass Island quarantine facility is still only in the committee stage.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 03 Feb 2020, 1:23 am

Increasingly this is looking like a Chinese bio weapon as scientists that have looked at it believe it's been hacked with.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... -bioweapon

In Thailand, doctors used HIV and flu drugs to save a man that was critically ill from the virus:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hours.html
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: Corona virus

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Feb 2020, 5:16 am

Ahh bioweapon... i hear that rumor, to me it sounds so funny like i am watching a movie, how did the virus escape, did it put on a pair of Nike airwalkers and run away. Maybe a vegan protestor broke into their animal testing labs and liberated all the lab mice and lab rats. It would be good if it was, something for the trump loving to gloat about.

While we are gloating about the bioweapon escaping, and yes the bioweapon is an amusing story, what's more interesting is, in light of the media scaremongering, i have seen a huge rise in the price of p2 masks in Australia.... and how big is the epidemic in Australia.... unless the media has hidden the numbers its still less than 20 confirmed cases and no deaths...yet

And in misery, enterprising humans are selling masks for 10 to 20ea, even some wholesalers have increased their prices by 10 times. So a mask that was selling for $0.90 just four months ago (cuz we bought a huge shipment) is now selling for $15ea. Seeing we use a huge number of masks every year i think the procurement manager probably deserves a pay rise... or atleast a good bottle of scotch)

Instead ill just get myself another gun seeing i hired the guy, so it was my genious and foresight anyway.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 20 Feb 2020, 5:32 am

They say most masks are not worth a damn preventing it.

This virus is not going away overnight so I think the real test over the next couple of months will be the southern hemisphere. Here in the north we are headed out of our flu and cold virus season as winter ends in March and April and as it begins in Australia if it starts spreading that will be sign for what we could be facing next winter.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Feb 2020, 6:58 am

Yep agreed on that mate. Still i think we haven't had a death yet in any developed country.

You in America? How is the scaremongering going on there?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 20 Feb 2020, 7:46 am

Ziad wrote:Yep agreed on that mate. Still i think we haven't had a death yet in any developed country.

You in America? How is the scaremongering going on there?

It's being talked about but it's flu season and that is what most people are concerned about. It's been a calmer flu season compared to about 2-3 years ago when something like 90000 people died.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation