H licence wait time in QLD?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

H licence wait time in QLD?

Post by id29ohmj@gmail.com » 13 Jan 2020, 11:31 am

Hi Guys,

I applied for my H licence about 4 weeks ago, can anyone tell me how long it takes to get your H licence in Queensland?

I also applied for a PTA, wound be nice if they came together but I don't suppose that's going to happen.

Any info would be great.

Thanks.
id29ohmj@gmail.com
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: H licence wait time in QLD?

Post by Macross » 14 Jan 2020, 7:25 am

Wife and I did ours late last year and took about 15 or so weeks all up. 12 weeks for the approval email and then a few more for the plastic in the mail. It will definitely test your patience.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 14 Jan 2020, 3:23 pm

it will be put in the "make em wait" pile for 28 days before it even makes it into the queue to get processed. Last year the worst wait times got up to over 15 weeks just for the approval then add the making of your actual licence in Melbourne & postage to you, but if things are running smoothly the std seems to be 12 weeks give or take.
If you sit and watch the mailbox every day after 4 weeks you will most likely go insane before it arrives.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oz95 » 15 Jan 2020, 6:18 pm

Hey Fella's,

My Cat H application was submitted 22/7/19 and I am still yet waiting. After numerous polite phone calls, it is now apparently on the priority list and has been referred to a different sector in the WLB. Still waiting near 6 months now and still no notifications of approval. Apparently it's because of issue's WLB are having with their online application system.

I hope your not in the same boat as me. Best of luck!
Oz95
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by id29ohmj@gmail.com » 16 Jan 2020, 6:33 am

You would think that WLB could preform a bit better than this. I know of a lady that has been waiting 8 months for a PTA. Seems to me that the police at WLB do not approve of anyone else having access to hand guns. When I rang to make an inquire I was told that applications are on two separated list ones lodged with the police and the other lodged online
id29ohmj@gmail.com
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 17 Jan 2020, 2:21 am

The trainer on our safety course (last June in QLD) said that he knows people high up in WLB and they don't want any paper applications so they just park them for up to a year. They want the message to get out to people that they should use online only but can't actually say it directly or openly admit that they treat the application methods differently.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 17 Jan 2020, 5:47 pm

Has anyone ever tried reporting weapons licensing for misconduct
If they are deliberately delaying an application without cause wouldn't it amount to misconduct
I'm not advocating nuisance complaints but if you've been deliberately delayed due to someone's personal views on guns or paper applications wouldn't the police crimes and misconduct commission be worth a call
There's numerous complaints on this forum but how many people lodge an actual complaint?
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oz95 » 18 Jan 2020, 2:07 pm

Hi FarmerPete,

I have made a complaint before and it doesn't get you very far. By making a complaint, your pretty much just complaining to the tools that caused the complaint to begin with. Their all in it together. The whole system is just a shamble. The people are always over run by this idiots in Government. But the majority of us are the idiots that vote for them. People have been told for years but nothing changes. Aslong as theres a 2 party preferred system. Nothing is going to change.
Oz95
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jt-2019 » 04 Feb 2020, 6:25 pm

12-15 weeks I reckon!
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Diamond Jim » 05 Feb 2020, 1:56 am

Don't know about Queensland but WA licensing are glacial. I believe it is part of a global movement to make firearms ownership as inconvenient as possible. Every delay and cost increase, inspections etc. Social engineering program designed so law abiding shooters eventually decide it's just too difficult to comply with all the conditions.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Jt-2019 » 05 Feb 2020, 9:46 am

6 months wow!
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by yoshie » 05 Feb 2020, 10:19 am

5 years ago i moved from ACT to QLD, (transfer not new application), it took 11 months to get my licenses with all correct endorsements and all my guns listed correctly.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Jt-2019 » 11 Feb 2020, 6:54 pm

Should be 12 weeks before the confirmation letter then a few more for the actual card.
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Reverse » 20 Feb 2020, 12:52 pm

JT,

You are right, it should be.
However I’m at 10.5 weeks since applying online and haven’t heard a thing.
Reverse
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 21 Feb 2020, 8:01 am

Apparently the initial 28 day wait isn't applied if you already have an A/B license in QLD and the ID check doesn't usually happen,
some people seem to have to do it anyway but that is probably a fault with the WLB process rather than an actual requirement. this means that you get to sit waiting and hear nothing until an approval email arrives around 12 weeks after you apply.

As it takes 10-12 weeks in the queue before applications are even looked at the 28 day wait is probably not applied for any application anymore.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oz95 » 27 Feb 2020, 6:11 pm

Hey Fellas, the long awaited day has come! Cat H license application submitted 22/7/19. Approval email recieved today 27/2/2020. A little over 7 months. Now still awaiting my Pta approval which was lodged 24/7/19. Hopefully the Pta doesn't become another issue. I was also told that there are a few other people in the same situation as me. So best of luck guys, the wait will be worth it... one day ha.
Oz95
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by id29ohmj@gmail.com » 03 Mar 2020, 1:24 pm

Lucky you OZ95 I'm in my twelfth week of waiting
id29ohmj@gmail.com
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by id29ohmj@gmail.com » 18 Apr 2020, 9:10 am

HI guys To bring you all up to date the wait time for your H licence in QLD IS NOW 15 TO 20 WEEKS so with your training period of 6 Months it looks like a 12 Month exercise to gain your H. WLB will no longer answer phone calls and will only reply to urgent emails. Calls about PTA or Licence enquires will not warrant a reply. Not very good but it is what it is
id29ohmj@gmail.com
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 20 Apr 2020, 1:12 am

Be sure to post if you hear anything, you must be in about week 18, I applied about 4 weeks after you so I'm only up to week 14.

It's possible that new Cat H licenses are no longer being processed despite WLB web site saying that everything is being worked on. I haven't heard of anybody getting one in the last few weeks. They can't really admit it though as there's nothing in the legislation or health directives that justifies it or makes it lawful.

I suspect that the QLD state government want to extend the current emergency as long as possible in the hope of pushing ranges out of business, they tried to take out the dealers too but failed.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Macross » 20 Apr 2020, 9:38 am

id29ohmj@gmail.com wrote: wait time for your H licence in QLD IS NOW 15 TO 20 WEEKS so with your training period of 6 Months it looks like a 12 Month exercise to gain your H.

It was a 12 month exercise before any of these lock downs came into place. There are no approved ranges open, therefore there is nowhere to use Cat H firearms. Add to this the March 28th cut of for PTAs, and I think you poor guys are in for a hell of a wait. Sounds like WLB are focused on renewals etc but would be surprised if any new Cat H license applications are being looked at currently as there is no urgency to get them done given the sport is in lockdown.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by id29ohmj@gmail.com » 22 Apr 2020, 8:27 pm

HI GUYS I received my H licence after 14 weeks and PTA 2 weeks latter WLB has stated that there will be no extensions on PTAs so if this virus continues and your PTA runs out you will have to reapply
Best of luck rc42
id29ohmj@gmail.com
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mitch 1979 » 06 May 2021, 2:33 pm

Hi guys applied for my ab firearms licence on the 24/11/ 20 and to this day have not received conformation I have no criminal record or ever been charged with an offence so 6 months so far and also was informed my application had been reassinged for a determination by a team as for why I have no idea
Mitch 1979
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers