Side Note; when buying the Ruger Precision Rimfire

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Side Note; when buying the Ruger Precision Rimfire

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 05 Feb 2020, 3:43 pm

Hey Lads

I just wanna warn youse all

If any of youse is thinking of purchasing the:
"Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle" in .22LR

It says that it comes with a BX-15 magazine
(Which; the BX-15 is meant to hold 15x rounds)

But in reality
Most likely
It will only hold 10x rounds
Most of them have been clipped to 10x rounds now

So if anyone here is thinking of buying the "Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle" in .22LR for the specific reason that it's meant to hold 15x rounds

Triple check with your dealer before making the purchase
:)
:drinks:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Side Note; when buying the Ruger Precision Rimfire

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Feb 2020, 4:55 pm

Well nioa are the distributors of ruger in Aus, their website mentions 10rnd mag. So either your gunship just copied and pasted the wrong info. Or you looked at the US specs.

For ref
https://www.nioa.com.au/products/browse ... _rrf_rug22
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 05 Feb 2020, 5:31 pm

Yeah
My local dealer gave me the wrong info Ziad
They told me it was 15x round capacity when it wasn't
I was taken by surprise too
I thought that the 10x mag one would look different to the 15x mag one
But it didn't
They both looked identical
Impossible to know the difference until you put the rounds in
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Feb 2020, 5:44 pm

Ziad wrote:Well nioa are the distributors of ruger in Aus, their website mentions 10rnd mag. So either your gunship just copied and pasted the wrong info. Or you looked at the US specs.

For ref
https://www.nioa.com.au/products/browse ... _rrf_rug22

It's another case of Border Force making up the laws for themselves, and not telling the dealers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mikejay » 05 Feb 2020, 6:56 pm

Old stock will be 15 rounds, new stock will be 10 rounds. At some point at the end of last year or early this year the rules around bringing 15 round mags into the country changed, while not illegal to own a 15 round mag. it is now illegal to import them.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Feb 2020, 7:04 pm

mikejay wrote:Old stock will be 15 rounds, new stock will be 10 rounds. At some point at the end of last year or early this year the rules around bringing 15 round mags into the country changed, while not illegal to own a 15 round mag. it is now illegal to import them.

All 15rd mags?
I was told the only reason we can't buy the BX15's is because somebody _might_ put one in a Ruger Charger, making an illegal 15rd handgun.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mikejay » 06 Feb 2020, 8:07 am

bladeracer wrote:
All 15rd mags?
I was told the only reason we can't buy the BX15's is because somebody _might_ put one in a Ruger Charger, making an illegal 15rd handgun.

I think it's specific to all the semi auto's or converted semi-auto's if your in a state like NSW that requires them to be modded, the RPRimfire falls into that category.
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2020, 9:34 am

You would recon coag could get their heads together and at least try and be consistant. Howards laws are now all over the place. The same with the WHS laws.

Slightly off topic.
All thought I think there needs to be some sort of limit to magazine capacity, making a 22lr limited to 10 is ridiculous. Won't achieve anything.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by DJay » 06 Feb 2020, 10:19 am

Just some thoughts, there has been lots of chatter on the intrawebs about the 15 round mag (pinned to 10 rounds here), that it wobbles a bit too much in the receiver and may impact how rounds are feed causing issues. The BX1 rotating mag doesn’t seem to have these issue. I have the pinned mag, basically never use it...I have also added a 3D printed base to the mag to help with extraction If it doesn’t simply drop out.
Attachments
C3D41B98-11E3-46B2-8236-A190744A16DE.jpeg
C3D41B98-11E3-46B2-8236-A190744A16DE.jpeg (588.57 KiB) Viewed 14083 times
E98011AF-B57B-48C0-9ECB-EC8990CD3FF5.jpeg
E98011AF-B57B-48C0-9ECB-EC8990CD3FF5.jpeg (578.97 KiB) Viewed 14083 times
DJay
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by CAVEMAN » 08 Feb 2020, 7:18 pm

That mag is only a BX1, they sit flush. Whereas the BX15 is kinda like a small curved rifle mag with about a two inch protusion from the mag well. Looks like yours was swapped out at some stage for a normal BX1 mag.

I asked about BX15 mags before and why there not available, and the answer i came to the conclusion was that NIOA the distributor for both Ruger and Lucky 13 would rather sell you a Lucky 13 15 or 25 round mag for over $180 instead of a cheap $45 (adjusted from $29 USD) Ruger factory mag. There after our dollars after all.

The following links give you the price comparison.

http://shopruger.com/BX-15-22-Caliber-1 ... nfo/90463/

https://shootersdelight.com.au/product/ ... 22-pws-t3/
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Feb 2020, 7:32 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:That mag is only a BX1, they sit flush. Whereas the BX15 is kinda like a small curved rifle mag with about a two inch protusion from the mag well. Looks like yours was swapped out at some stage for a normal BX1 mag.

I asked about BX15 mags before and why there not available, and the answer i came to the conclusion was that NIOA the distributor for both Ruger and Lucky 13 would rather sell you a Lucky 13 15 or 25 round mag for over $180 instead of a cheap $45 (adjusted from $29 USD) Ruger factory mag. There after our dollars after all.

He has a BX15 that is pinned at 10rds done here in Oz I believe.
It was Border Force that told me why I couldn't import or buy extra BX15 mags, because of the Charger. I am now curious whether I can buy spare BX15's that are pinned at 10rds, I'm not a fan of the Ruger rotary mags.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 16 Feb 2020, 6:49 pm

I bought a Ruger American 22LR(still at the store as im waiting for my licence/PTA) and it comes with a 25 round lucky 13 aswell as 2 extras. This is in QLD.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hunter257 » 18 Feb 2020, 11:40 am

CAVEMAN wrote:That mag is only a BX1, they sit flush. Whereas the BX15 is kinda like a small curved rifle mag with about a two inch protusion from the mag well. Looks like yours was swapped out at some stage for a normal BX1 mag.

last time I checked the price a genuine BX15 Ruger mag was about $250 AUD.
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2020, 12:25 pm

Hunter257 wrote:[quote="CAVEMAN"That mag is only a BX1, they sit flush. Whereas the BX15 is kinda like a small curved rifle mag with about a two inch protusion from the mag well. Looks like yours was swapped out at some stage for a normal BX1 mag.

https://shootersdelight.com.au/product/ ... 22-pws-t3/[/quote

last time I checked the price a genuine BX15 Ruger mag was about $250 AUD.

As you can't buy them in Oz thr price doesn't seem relevant. Even a warranty replacement requires sending your BX15 in before they send you a replacement. If you could buy one you could get it from Brownells for under A$100.

If you have a source I can legally buy some BX15's from please PM me, I much prefer it over the rotary Ruget mags.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 18 Feb 2020, 2:36 pm

Can you use a lucky 13? They sell them in 25 and 15.

https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/Luc ... zine/45051
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2020, 5:26 pm

StraightWhiteMale wrote:Can you use a lucky 13? They sell them in 25 and 15.

https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/Luc ... zine/45051

You can, except for their crazy prices. Apparently they designed them so they don't work in the 10/22 or Charger, thus making them legal. Although I thought I read they'd stopped making them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 18 Feb 2020, 6:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:You can, except for their crazy prices. Apparently they designed them so they don't work in the 10/22 or Charger, thus making them legal. Although I thought I read they'd stopped making them.

I bought some from the barn 2 weeks ago. Same price for the 25 and 15 which dont make sense. So I got the 25.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2020, 6:39 pm

StraightWhiteMale wrote:[quote="bladeracer"You can, except for their crazy prices. Apparently they designed them so they don't work in the 10/22 or Charger, thus making them legal. Although I thought I read they'd stopped making them.[/quote

I bought some from the barn 2 weeks ago. Same price for the 25 and 15 which dont make sense. So I got the 25.

There is a warning there that they may not work in the RPR, have you had any feed issues?
Attachments
Lucky13 mags.JPG
Lucky13 mags.JPG (106.92 KiB) Viewed 13805 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 18 Feb 2020, 7:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:There is a warning there that they may not work in the RPR, have you had any feed issues?

Its still at the barn I'm waiting for my licence to come.
Looking at clevers website it says to use CCI ammo. Maybe they are not really ment for the precision. I'm sure it will work in it but might have some issues.
Attachments
D82F3EC2-BCB4-4D49-AC5A-4A095B8CA088.png
D82F3EC2-BCB4-4D49-AC5A-4A095B8CA088.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 13603 times
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juddi13 » 24 Jul 2020, 3:41 am

Have Ruger precision 22WMR with the BX-15. It holds 9 rounds for the WMR. Have one mag came with it..absolutely impossible to find extra mag anywhere and lucky 13 states there's are not for the WMR Precision. I'm at a loss as how or where to get a spare or two. ..miss the good old days when I walked into a gunshop aged 17 with a car license and brought an SKK 7.62x39mm semi-auto with 3x30 shot magazine's. Now you can't even find a 9 shot 22wmr mag for a bolt action. Crazy.
juddi13
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jul 2020, 5:48 pm

juddi13 wrote:Have Ruger precision 22WMR with the BX-15. It holds 9 rounds for the WMR. Have one mag came with it..absolutely impossible to find extra mag anywhere and lucky 13 states there's are not for the WMR Precision. I'm at a loss as how or where to get a spare or two. ..miss the good old days when I walked into a gunshop aged 17 with a car license and brought an SKK 7.62x39mm semi-auto with 3x30 shot magazine's. Now you can't even find a 9 shot 22wmr mag for a bolt action. Crazy.

Nine-rounds sounds like it's been crippled, the BX-15 should hold 15rds even in WMR.
I'm not aware of any pistols in WMR that use the Ruger magazine so I have no idea why yours would be restricted. Have you opened it up to see what's in there? The Charger is the reason we can't buy spare BX-15 mags, even if you have a dead mag you have to send yours back before they send you a replacement, and the replacement will be restricted to 10rds.
But it is easy to remove the restriction.

If you don't mind the 9rd mags though just get spare 9rd rotary WMR mags. Your dealer should be able to order them for you.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Random Holepuncher » 14 Aug 2020, 6:53 am

I have the RPRR in .17 HMR, and the Lucky 13 mag (25 rd) works perfectly. Initially I found that CCI fed more reliably - the intermittent issue was actually that the lip of the magazine would slightly overlap the rim of the fired case, preventing ejection - but a very light file of that lip allowed all ammo I tried to run perfectly. I tried Federal 17 grain, CCI 20 grain, and Hornady 20 grain (settled on the Hornady - crazy good groups - with CCI as a backup for when it isn't available).

In relation to the BX-15 that came with the rifle - it would only hold nine rounds. I tried to undo the two hex-head bolts, but discovered they'd been drilled out (tamper-proof?), so went to a mechanic mate and used his Easy-Out to remove them. Located a section of what can best be described as garden hose wedged in the magazine floor, removed it, slotted the bolt heads with a 1mm grinder disc (allowing them to be re-inserted by way of slot-head screwdriver), and the OEM magazine now holds the advertised 15 rounds. Annoying, but fairly easily solved.

BX-15.jpg
BX-15.jpg (943.96 KiB) Viewed 12438 times
Random Holepuncher
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 14 Aug 2020, 10:19 pm

My son has RPR and lucky 13 15 shot mag
It works faultlessly with cci and winch ammo
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 16 Aug 2020, 5:18 pm

um its a piece of reticulation hose that makes it 10 shot, just take it out and viola
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Aug 2020, 9:50 pm

Ziege wrote:um its a piece of reticulation hose that makes it 10 shot, just take it out and viola

Not trying to be a smart arse - could the amendment amount to a change that might fall on the wrong side of our puppet masters?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 16 Aug 2020, 9:52 pm

not where im at... check with your local bolsheviks tho
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2020, 10:33 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Ziege wrote:um its a piece of reticulation hose that makes it 10 shot, just take it out and viola

Not trying to be a smart arse - could the amendment amount to a change that might fall on the wrong side of our puppet masters?

I think all states allow 15rd rimfire mags, some states have no restriction at all.
You definitely cannot use a 15rd mag in a Ruger Charger though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Woden » 18 Nov 2020, 10:21 am

I bought a Ruger Precision Rimfire from Horsley Park Gun Shop here in NSW and it came with a BX-15 which holds 15 rounds.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by junjun » 07 Dec 2020, 9:05 am

mikejay wrote:Old stock will be 15 rounds, new stock will be 10 rounds. At some point at the end of last year or early this year the rules around bringing 15 round mags into the country changed, while not illegal to own a 15 round mag. it is now illegal to import them.

is there a link about this?
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 07 Dec 2020, 8:29 pm

I feel this is more marketing, NIOA could sell you a cheap mass produced 15 or 25 round ruger mag.

Or they could flog off a $150 lucky 13 one too you. I think more economics than legal.

But i might be wrong.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles