Gloves (Latex ?) for dressing out

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Gloves (Latex ?) for dressing out

Post by Stix » 15 Jan 2020, 10:17 pm

For those of you who wear gloves when dressing out an animal...what do you use...?

If you use latex gloves, can you recommend good ones...all the ones i try are crap & bust out as soon as a claw or something is touched.

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Gloves (Latex ?) for dressing out

Post by Faedy » 15 Jan 2020, 10:57 pm

Im in the Crime Scene cleaning gig etc
We use extra strong nitrile gloves, not latex - something like the link below
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by solarpak » 01 Feb 2020, 9:49 pm

Nitrile gloves are the standard food grade and you can easily double up (2 pairs ) on one hand.

Also i highly recommend you invest in a pair of cut-proof fabric gloves - and wear one on the hand that isnt holding the knife......they will save you cutting your hand accidentally (trust me !)
They can be easily washed in warm soapy water and dried and re-used. Put this on your hand and a nitrile glove on top.
Works for me
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2020, 9:53 am

Thanks guys.

Faedy...i took your advice thanks very much... :thumbsup:

I went to the green shed & grabbed a box from the cleaning isle ...
But i also wanted some pvc gloves so had to get them from the tool section.
So when i got there, they had the extra strong black nitrile ones for even cheaper, so i grabbed them instead.

I skun out 3 foxes with only the one pair so thats good going...!!.. :thumbsup:
Normally woth the latex ones, a touch on a claw & the glove is gone.

I will say that with the black ones, moving hsnd ftom shade to direct sunlight, even in temps less than 20 deg C, is like dunking your hand in very warm water--you can feel the temp change immediately--it was a bit freaky to feel at first...

Once these are done ill get a diff colour.

Thanks solarpak...but all too little too late mate...

Im a tradesman & been gutting little rabbits & fish all my life...
My hands are a mess mate, with a few areas very sensative due to bad cuts that have healed with nerves exposed... :roll:

But you're right...!!
Its never too late i guess.
Did a nasty job on myself a few years ago boning out a goat...& the last deer i got couple weeks ago i nearly did it again---my lazyness of not steeling the knife saved a half litre of blood... :roll: :lol:

I may have one of those gloves somewhere that came in a el-cheapo fish knife kit--its probable rubbish, but if i can find it i ill put in my knife roll...

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 02 Feb 2020, 10:09 am

my problem Stix is glasses
l have reading glasses and if my cut is beyond the limit of the glasses l can get a little carried away and nick my finger tips
my knives are pretty sharp and l try and be quick but l dont like bleeding, l try and get as close to the job as l can
those fishing gloves can be handy :thumbsup:

l dont worry to much with rabbits or deer but for foxes, pigs or ducks l wear a cheapo latex type :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 02 Feb 2020, 4:47 pm

Stix,
sourcing the cut-proof gloves was the result of badly gashing my left ring-finger one night dressing out a deer - (my fault completely) which required a midnight trip to a country hospital ER ......they super-glued it up but i couldn't do much with it for a few days......

The cut proof gloves have since been used from field dressing to final butchering - and you can get these from eBay for around $5 per pair. I have 4 pairs and they are worth their weight in gold.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2020, 5:34 pm

Solarpak...if you could see some of th injuries ive had to my hands over the years, all from either freak accidents (like a first fix nail hitting a knot , bending around 150 degrees & embedding itself IN the knuckle of a finger--or--just walking past a fresh cut roof flashing & with the swing of my arm past the flashing sliced into the top of my finger right down into the finger nail---there's worse, so i wont go on...)...if you'd see all these things at once, hell even if id see all these things at once, id never pick up a knife or tool again... :lol: ...so i understand believe me... :thumbsup:
In any case, cuts for me are the norm--little knife slices are not that bad, but then i do have carpenter hands...its the deep ones that come every now n then hey... :thumbsup:

Marksman...im usually pretty slack, but trying to force myself to use them on cats n foxes, as earlier in the year my hand slipped & i touched some poop when pulling a fox fur down to the tail...

But why ducks...??...they bad...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 03 Feb 2020, 11:42 am

sometimes you get broken rib bones so to avoid cuts and scratches, getting bugs ect...
we had a scare quite a few years ago but l cant remember what it was, avian chinese bird flu or something (did you see what l did there :lol: )
at the time it was recomended when gutting to use gloves so l've just kept it going
https://www.gma.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... tulism.pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3298320/

l really dont like having cuts when playing with any animal that l'm gutting and l hate wearing gloves, there is always a medical box in the car :thumbsup:
so far, touch wood l have never seen a sick deer that l have shot :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2020, 7:40 pm

Well,,,,,,,, there is a reasonable choice available.
Pink,, Blue,, Fawn,, and not so common, Black,

It really depends on what your wearing and of course,,, the color of your hair.

What's that you say,,, ????

Ohhhhhhhhh,,,, "dressing out" I thought you said dressing up,,,,,,,, :oops: :oops: my mistake.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Feb 2020, 8:32 pm

I knew a pro shooter who caught Q fever and I think it was brucellosis the other thing he caught. Messed him up for a while. Another bloke I know caught lepto and nearly died ........I should make an effort and wear gloves
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Feb 2020, 8:43 pm

Dressing out and skinning reminds me of furry animals that no longer are soft to touch because of the vegetation they run amongst ...Has anyone ever seen Roos nearly completely covered in noogoora burr , and so much entangled in their furr it’s just never coming out .... it must be so uncomfortable...... us humans every night we are fed and clean , sleeping on clean sheets and with heaters and air cons to ensure our surrounding temperature is just right , secure in house locked up to keep away danger during the night .... doctor is only a phone call away. We are without doubt the softest weakest animal on earth
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 07 Feb 2020, 9:37 pm

Talking of people cutting themselves, here in SW WA, a butcher died this week - his knife slipped of bench and stuck into his thigh, severing the femoral artery - poor bloke bled to death at work.. Very sad, so stay safe
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Feb 2020, 10:20 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Well,,,,,,,, there is a reasonable choice available.
Pink,, Blue,, Fawn,, and not so common, Black,

It really depends on what your wearing and of course,,, the color of your hair.

What's that you say,,, ????

Ohhhhhhhhh,,,, "dressing out" I thought you said dressing up,,,,,,,, :oops: :oops: my mistake.

Well now that the bottle is empty, go to bed champ...!!!... :lol:

And with regard to getting all mixed about with dressing up...dont worry...we cant see you in your flowery frock & those sexy stockings... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2020, 10:36 pm

Stix wrote:
And with regard to getting all mixed about with dressing up...dont worry...we cant see you in your flowery frock & those sexy stockings... :thumbsup:

Just goes to prove that the lady in the Camo Lingerie shop knew what she was talking about eh ??? Good tip though, thanks.
:lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 08 Feb 2020, 2:00 pm

Faedy wrote:Talking of people cutting themselves, here in SW WA, a butcher died this week - his knife slipped of bench and stuck into his thigh, severing the femoral artery - poor bloke bled to death at work.. Very sad, so stay safe

Ges thats horrible Faedy...
I heard a story of a glazier that happened to a long time ago too...got a little too cocky with lifting a pane himself & it broke, did the same, with a big section falling down & slicing the inside of his leg open...a couple of mins & lights out...

Very sad...& a good reminder to us...and me..!!...( :roll: )...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by John » 13 Apr 2020, 9:28 pm

I’m not to big on using rubber or latex gloves but I definitely or way ware a cut proof glove it’s far to easy to cut your self especially at night when relying on lights to see what your doing
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Faedy » 13 Apr 2020, 11:11 pm

John wrote:I’m not to big on using rubber or latex gloves but I definitely or way ware a cut proof glove it’s far to easy to cut your self especially at night when relying on lights to see what your doing

I get bright orange ones for my Bio Hazard work - these stand out really good at night - I can almost always see my fingers... :shock:
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Apr 2020, 12:05 am

Bought 20 boxes of 200 per box about 2 years ago from eBay. Was about $6 a box...just finished my first box. Was thinking of donating a few boxes to local Drs.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 14 Apr 2020, 12:47 am

TassieTiger wrote:Bought 20 boxes of 200 per box about 2 years ago from eBay. Was about $6 a box...just finished my first box. Was thinking of donating a few boxes to local Drs.

Dont they have medical grade/strength ones...?

If they were toilet rolls id say i was a doctor & buy a box off you...just doubt it would make it here though eh...lol

Actually...how do they stack up strength wise...?...& how much for a box...?...maybe ill buy one from plus post... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Apr 2020, 1:12 am

I just searched ebay - yep, all gone up in price as expected and many out of stock.
The nitrile ones I have are ok - but a bone will pierce regardless. I bought 3xl to try and not have them skin tight to help - but they still rip - but NOTHING like the latex or pvc ones, they are next to useless for field dressing in my op.
Cheapest I saw on eBay was $9.90 per 100.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 14 Apr 2020, 1:44 pm

I. Think I might start useing gloves for dressing and boning , a good safety precaution I think and I can b a bit squeamish at times .
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey