Reloading in Extreme Humidity

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading in Extreme Humidity

Post by 9.3x64 » 10 Feb 2020, 7:30 am

Does anyone have any knowledge of the effects of reloading ammunition intended for competitive shooting in high humidity?
By high humidity I mean 96% humidity in Brisbane today.
Does humidity have any effect on the performance or life span of the loaded rounds?
Is it not a good idea to open a container of powder in these conditions?
Will the powder still flow as well in a RCBS Chargemaster etc?

Thoughts?
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Reloading in Extreme Humidity

Post by straightshooter » 10 Feb 2020, 7:48 am

It would be a wise precaution that any ammunition loaded in those extreme humidity circumstances be used promptly and not stored for many years.
Most powders, and certainly ADI powder, will tolerate the varying humidity that may be encountered in the normal reloading process but they won't tolerate extended exposure in open containers to the open air.
So common sense dictates that you follow the manufacturers instructions and keep powders in well sealed original containers and minimise their exposure to open air.
If your powder loses it's 'aromatic solvent' smell and smells pungently acidic or starts to have a brownish appearance then you have real problems.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by 9.3x64 » 10 Feb 2020, 7:57 am

Yes I was leaning that way. It’s hard to imagine 96% humidity would not have some effect.
Thankyou
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 10 Feb 2020, 10:48 am

I live in a moderate 4 seasons mountain climate and my reloading is done in a "barn" that is insulated but often I have the doors open of course when weather is good. I aim to not reload in high humidity conditions and I have an outdoors weather station and a monitor inside to assess what the humidity is at any given time. If it is high humidity that is a time for case prep or cleaning and save the loading for another time. I also installed a dehumifier in there for spring, fall and winter when the weather is below 10C. The barn temp right now is 2-3C and is not heated unless I am in there, so in winter I'll turn the heat on and the dehumifier and as long as humidity is around 50-60% I'll load.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Potatoes » 10 Feb 2020, 11:11 am

If you’re in an air conditioned space you should be right.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2020, 11:55 am

Email ADI and ask them.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 10 Feb 2020, 12:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Email ADI and ask them.

Now that’s a bloody good idea. :drinks:

Done, I will post the response when I get one.

Thankyou
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2020, 2:53 pm

Yes, pls post. A few here will be interested.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 11 Feb 2020, 12:08 pm

I emailed ADI and asked the question, their response is below.

Thank you for your enquiry of 10/2/2020 with regard to reloading using ADI Sporting powders.
We do not have a specific upper limit for humidity levels when loading, however exposure to moisture can alter the performance of powders.
Powders can change their moisture reasonably quickly if exposed to the atmosphere. Any change of moisture can affect the powder burning rate and the effectiveness or safety of a particular load.
Always minimise the exposure of any smokeless powder to the atmosphere during loading. Use minimum quantities of powder at any time in powder loaders and keep lids on containers tightly closed at all times.
Do not keep powders in loaders for long periods of time. In this way you are more likely to preserve the appropriate level of moisture for the lot of the powder in use and obtain consistent reliable ballistic performances from every load.
In higher humidity conditions, unless you can see condensation on your powder dispenser, the powder should dispense as normal.
Extreme caution should be taken and loads should be worked up accordingly. Refer to our website at www.adi-powders.com.au or our 10th edition handloaders’ guide for more information, warnings and reloading safety.
We thank you for using ADI Sporting Powders. Yours sincerely,
ADI Technical Centre
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Feb 2020, 12:46 pm

Quick reply. Sooo, just avoid, minimise. Not a huge deal.

Might effect long range, target shooters though.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 11 Feb 2020, 1:47 pm

Anyone here standing on unsealed pine floorboards ? Sealed or not these expand in humid weather and shrink in dry weather. A painted door will sometimes expand and stick in the door frame in humid weather. So if these items asorb moisture and expand in high humidity I guess you could say with certainty an open tin of dry powder would absorb moisture. So I think get your cases filled and seat Bullets and cap your powder Tins. Common sense I think and keep the powder exposure to a minimum and that s the best you can do
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 11 Feb 2020, 4:55 pm

I don’t think I am going to give it a second thought anymore.
Sounds like the main thing is to not leave any powder in a thrower, and to keep the lids on the containers at all times.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Potatoes » 11 Feb 2020, 8:51 pm

Blr243 wrote:Anyone here standing on unsealed pine floorboards ? Sealed or not these expand in humid weather and shrink in dry weather. A painted door will sometimes expand and stick in the door frame in humid weather. So if these items asorb moisture and expand in high humidity I guess you could say with certainty an open tin of dry powder would absorb moisture. So I think get your cases filled and seat Bullets and cap your powder Tins. Common sense I think and keep the powder exposure to a minimum and that s the best you can do

I know someone who installed clip lock laminate flooring throughout their whole apartment only to have it or buckle up during a hot humid period only because they didn’t follow the bit in the product spec to leave a 10mm gap at the perimeter at the walls. Basically a reinstall job. The landlord let us in to do a floor test and the apartment had been closed for a period of days so nowhere for the humdity to escape.

I’m sure if you keep your powder in a cool dark place (or say moving it from an airconditioned space, like the car) to a shed on a hot humid day, a small amount of condensate to be absorbed.

Also if its too hot dripping sweat around the work bench is a pita too.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Feb 2020, 9:12 pm

Potatoes. How did u decide on that username. Were u eating potatoes at the time ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Feb 2020, 9:15 pm

Cleaning your ears perhaps?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 12 Feb 2020, 7:27 am

Peter Dutton in disguise?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Potatoes » 12 Feb 2020, 4:28 pm

I’m guessing your first rifle is a browning blr 243?

Maybe mines a spud gun...

Its just a nickname thats stuck for some reason.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Feb 2020, 5:07 pm

Ok. Thanks. I got it. My blr replaced my ruger mini 14 way back. But the ****** trigger encouraged me to buy another rifle after putting up with it for a very long time .... I really should be calling myself sauer100/243 but no big deal The user name on hear I like the most is Kelsey cooter , he has an interest in Ned Kelly history and old lever actions. I can just imagine him at a museum dressed up in Ned Kelly armour and carrying a 3030 Winchester signing autographs for tourists. It cracks me up.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Feb 2020, 5:56 pm

Did it stick because you like potatoes...?...Are you Portugese Spuds...?...

Back in the day when i had a little money i went for a visit to Portugal...the language barrier was a challenge in some of the rural towns that were centrally based near the border to Spain...
So although i embraced the local cuisine, the day i tried to convey my hankering for bacon n eggs for brekky to the waiter who didnt like tourists, was indeed challenging, but also answered why Portugese women commonly grace the earth with the pear shape... :P

It was a long time ago now, nearly ten years, but if i remember correctly, it went something like this--"Pitata fritahta, yumon, hhwwweeauvoss"...LOL...(spelt phonetically)...that translated into what we know as, Chips, quickly pan fried prosciutto that was somewhere between what we know as prosciutto and overdone jerky, & a couple of eggs...

Well... BLAHHH ...although it was the closest thing that town had to our bacon n eggs, it was anything but...

And once that had arrived and the waiter thought he was finally rid of having to be polite with me not understanding him, we came close to blows when i asked for tomato sauce to cover up/enhance (take your pick) what was effectively a tasteless chewy plate of cardboard glob that was going to unsatisfying sit in my guts all bloody day... :lol:

And i learned that was apparently a common brekky for them...deep fried chips for brekky...fair dinkum... :shock:

I couldnt help but think there was a little British influence there, what with the chips...i mean the whole bottom coastal area of Portugal had been over-run with Poms--i could not find a genuine authentic Portuguese meal there that wasn't a horribly cooked rump steak that was cut off the trunk of a tree, wearing a pre-cooked rubbery fried egg on top with a tonne of deep fried chips on the side... :crazy:

So...what i was getting at, is... :lol: ...maybe you got the nickname because like the portugese in that town, you like potatoes... :unknown: :)
Or maybe not...

Well how's that for going off on a tangent... :huh:

Anyway...i think the winner of the vision stakes for forum name has to go to, the distant cousin of chestnuts, chinballs... :clap:

To envisage that name surely must put any shooter off while shooting for best group size... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Potatoes » 12 Feb 2020, 7:45 pm

Hey stix, replace ‘madison’ with ‘stix’

https://youtu.be/wKjxFJfcrcA

:drinks:
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Feb 2020, 8:02 pm

uthh-ouww...

Im reluctant to hit the link... :problem:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Potatoes » 12 Feb 2020, 8:09 pm

Credit where credits due stix, i got that primer pocket tool you suggested and it seems to work a treat. Cheers.

Don’t worry, the link is safe for work, but seemed appropriate given your dissertation for the etymology of my name.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Feb 2020, 8:10 pm

:lol: .. :thumbsup:
"Mr Stix"...!!

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition