Northern NSW hunting trip

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Northern NSW hunting trip

Post by Luke91 » 12 Feb 2020, 2:07 pm

Hey down south on a trip to a state forest in northern NSW on the 14th/2.

Was hoping to get some tips from some of you more experienced hunter. This will be my second time in this state forest, the first i saw one deer but it was very hot and wasn't a lot of sign.

Is the wet weather going to be a good or bad thing when it comes to getting the deer out and about?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Luke91
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Northern NSW hunting trip

Post by Blr243 » 12 Feb 2020, 3:01 pm

Back when I was hunting deer it was sometimes rifle mostly bow. I never bothered with heat and needfor the deer to drink like I do with pigs in the hotter months .... if the wet weather on your trip also means cooler overcast days I guess you could expect the deer to be feeding for longer periods morning and arv. This may help to increase your sightings .... discipline is something I have to force upon myself when deer hunting and by that I mean walking slow , looking lots , frequently useing binos , firm attention to the wind and getting real serious about respecting a deers alertness and senses .....even the tiniest amount of sloppy hunting technique will give away your presence as obvious as a teenager on a two stroke motorbike
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Feb 2020, 9:21 am

You might want to check if the S.F you are going to was affected by the fires.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Feb 2020, 10:57 am

PS...if over near the Coast bring your wet weather gear; it's been a tad wet here...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey