Vic Firearms Safety Test Wait times

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Vic Firearms Safety Test Wait times

Post by Marc » 13 Feb 2020, 10:28 am

Hi, has anyone else had issues with the waiting times to take the firearms safety test?

I submitted an application form to a district firearms officer in September 2019 and still have not had a test booked in. I call him once a month or so to check where I am in the queue and he says there are over 50 people still waiting.

I have also enquired at other firearms officers in the mean time and haven't heard back, and when I contact vic police support and the state district firearms officer they don't get back to me either.

I find it strange that the wait time is this long and there is not really any communication, may just be slow bureaucracy. Any tips on this would be appreciated or if anyone knows a responsive district with shorter wait times that would be great.
Marc
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Vic Firearms Safety Test Wait times

Post by bender21 » 15 Feb 2020, 7:40 pm

Hi mate, I had the same issue and ended up booking through the Frankston Australian Clay Target Club. If you google that then on their website you can book a course (they are run a couple of times a month).

The DFO emailed me the following day and confirmed my booking and I was able to attend in under a week.

Can highly recommend if Carrum Downs isn’t too much of a hike for you.

Otherwise if you are around Bendigo I might have another lead for you.

http://www.factc.com.au/membership/licencing/
bender21
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Feb 2020, 8:29 am

I enquired a few months ago and only a few weeks where i live. Not right. Make a few phone calls.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 16 Feb 2020, 10:07 am

the ssaa are doing the courses now for $120 per applicant but apparently dont cover the law section :unknown:
they are approved by LRD so it may be a quicker route :unknown:
although l would prefer to do it for free like everyone else
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 17 Feb 2020, 8:17 am

marksman wrote:the ssaa are doing the courses now for $120 per applicant but apparently dont cover the law section :unknown:
they are approved by LRD so it may be a quicker route :unknown:
although l would prefer to do it for free like everyone else

What a wrought.

Give a few gunshops a call a lot of them also run the courses for free. The DFO will be there he does the legal section and oversees the marking of tests and signs them off.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Feb 2020, 8:25 am

Awww come on, they need to make some money.

Hahahaha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation