My 1942 Lithgow Mo1 Mk3*

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

My 1942 Lithgow Mo1 Mk3*

Post by dogmatix » 24 Feb 2020, 9:05 am

So I picked up a sporterised (bubbafied) Lithgow No1 Mk3* SMLE in October last year. The 303 in its sporting mode was in pretty good condition, including a barrel with lots of rifling left.
I needed a new hobby after all my semi auto service rifle guns in NZ were now bent and shredded (don't ask).
So I decided to restore the 303 back to its former glory. I had intended taking it deer hunting first, but that trip got cancelled and I used my .270 Sako Finnlight the next trip away over New Years.
With my 47 year old eyes getting tired, I think my scoped hunting rifles are probably a safer bet anyway! :D

As a picture paints a thousand words, I'll let the photos do the talking. A learning experience and numerous stuff ups along the way! :roll: :roll:

Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Re: My 1942 Lithgow Mo1 Mk3*

Post by Tank » 24 Feb 2020, 9:09 am

What a cracking job you’ve done!
You’ve saved the old girl!!
Thumbs up here!
Regs,
Tank.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by dogmatix » 24 Feb 2020, 9:13 am

Cheers mate.
My wife actually sees me at night and on the weekends now I've finished!
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Tank » 24 Feb 2020, 9:19 am

:thumbsup:
dogmatix wrote:Cheers mate.
My wife actually sees me at night and on the weekends now I've finished!
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by 8x57 » 24 Feb 2020, 10:53 am

It’s looks fantastic you did great job how does she shoot ?
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by dogmatix » 24 Feb 2020, 11:22 am

8x57 wrote:It’s looks fantastic you did great job how does she shoot ?

The 150gn S&B soft points shoot the best factory wise. About 3 MOA with crappy targets (just a grey box printed at work).
With a better target I can properly line up and actually wearing my driving glasses :D that should come down to 2 MOA.

The only surplus stuff I have is the rough looking Greek HXP stuff dating from 1968-1976. But that sprays at about 7 MOA, although its pretty much zeroed for the battle sights.

I'll develop some handloads with ADI 2206H and Hornady 174gn FMJs in the next few months.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by JimTom » 24 Feb 2020, 11:50 am

Good job mate. Looks much better now it’s returned to its original glory. Well done.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 26 Feb 2020, 12:27 am

I have a 1942 Lithgow SMLE that was a "green stripe" gun. I think that means it was a serviceable rifle when sold. It shoots well enough for my old eyes in any case. From personal experience I'd avoid any ammunition marked POF (Pakistan Ordnance Factory?). I had a lot of "click, bangs" with those.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 26 Feb 2020, 12:49 am

Diamond Jim wrote:I have a 1942 Lithgow SMLE that was a "green stripe" gun. I think that means it was a serviceable rifle when sold. It shoots well enough for my old eyes in any case. From personal experience I'd avoid any ammunition marked POF (Pakistan Ordnance Factory?). I had a lot of "click, bangs" with those.

I think a lot of the older POF ammo used cordite, which doesn't hold up as well as some of the other smokeless powders developed during and after WW2. Probably not a lot of POF ammo around anymore anyways.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by marksman » 26 Feb 2020, 8:33 am

very good job, well done :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 21 Mar 2020, 7:12 pm

Did you have any problems fitting the nose cap, and front timber fouling on the barrel? If the nose cap dont align, it will impact accuracy.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by dogmatix » 30 Mar 2020, 6:33 pm

Bullbarrel033 wrote:Did you have any problems fitting the nose cap, and front timber fouling on the barrel? If the nose cap dont align, it will impact accuracy.

My nose cap is rotated slightly. But not enough for the ears to touch the front sight post and I enlarged the barrel hole in the nose cap for more clearance.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Return to Gunsmithing