Reloading for 6.5 Creedmore Howa

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading for 6.5 Creedmore Howa

Post by Adelaide » 20 Feb 2020, 4:48 pm

I have just purchased a Howa 6.5 Creedmore with a 22inch SS sporter barrel. Can someone suggest some loads/ bullet weights for hunting fallow deer and range work Was hoping to use Lapua Brass with small primer or is there a better option.

Really would appreciate some advice
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Reloading for 6.5 Creedmore Howa

Post by sungazer » 22 Feb 2020, 5:10 pm

The Lapua Brass with SRP is a very good option dont go overboard on the load. No need to squeeze that last 50fps out of it. It will make a fair difference to your brass life if you just back it down a little. I would recommend AR2209 as the powder. For bullet weight you will get probably better accuracy out of the 120-130 Lapua Scenars than anything heavier. Both will also work on the deer. A lot of people myself included use the Hornady 143 ELDX for Hunting I use about 42 grn. Again less in bullet weight and powder can often achieve better results.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Adelaide » 22 Feb 2020, 6:41 pm

Thanks a ton, what would be the best primers?
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 22 Feb 2020, 7:07 pm

CCI BR4 or Federal Gold Match.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by JimTom » 22 Feb 2020, 8:38 pm

Mate I am using Lapua SRP brass, CCI 450 (small rifle magnum) primers and 143 ELD X pushed by AR2209 out of my Sako A7. Works a treat.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 22 Feb 2020, 11:13 pm

140gr Berger Hybrid Target, Lapua SPP brass, CCI BR4, 42.7gr AR2209 for 2750fps. Might not be suitable for game but has produced a 5" group at 1000yds with the boy pulling the trigger. I've just done the first tests on the Hornady 153gr A-Tip projectiles last night and am impressed with the results.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Feb 2020, 7:08 am

Adelaide wrote: Was hoping to use Lapua Brass with small primer or is there a better option.

Really would appreciate some advice

Every other option is worse. Lapua is the way to go.

I have used a 130 Game Kings on deer and 143 ELDX.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 23 Feb 2020, 7:30 am

I have t tried anything other than the Lapua SRP brass for my Creedmoor. I have entertained the idea of trying the Starline brass just to see if there is any noticeable difference. Also wondering if ADI are going to start making Creedmoor brass now that Lithgow chamber the LA102 in 6.5CM.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Feb 2020, 2:25 pm

brett1868 wrote:140gr Berger Hybrid Target, Lapua SPP brass, CCI BR4, 42.7gr AR2209 for 2750fps. Might not be suitable for game but has produced a 5" group at 1000yds with the boy pulling the trigger. I've just done the first tests on the Hornady 153gr A-Tip projectiles last night and am impressed with the results.

Geezus. I need to see this stuff in the flesh some time - that’s bloody good shootin.
43.5gns 2209 for my 260 rem pushing 140 noslers to 2950 FPS and 45gns is pushing 120’s at 3100-3200fps from memory. I did have several faster loads but they were inconsistent.
Lapua brass. Large rifle cci primers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Adelaide » 27 Feb 2020, 7:50 pm

Hi All,

Apps for the delayed response. Thanks a ton to everyone who shared this goldmine of info that will keep me busy for a while. Have got myself some HORNADY 140GR ELD and SIERRA 120 GR SPT to start with. What is the best seating depth to start with?

Thanks once again.
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 27 Feb 2020, 7:54 pm

That will depend on your rifle mate. Ideally have the projectiles a poofteenth off the lands, however perhaps try the advertised COAL in the loading data tables if you’re not sure how to work out the max length for your rifle.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Adelaide » 27 Feb 2020, 7:58 pm

have got a Hornady bullet seating depth tool with case so should be able to get it exact
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 27 Feb 2020, 8:06 pm

Ok mate, there are a few different opinions on how far off the lands you should seat the projectiles. I think there are a few threads on seating depth etc if you use the search function in here mate. May be a good place to start.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Adelaide » 28 Feb 2020, 7:16 am

Thanks a ton, really appreciate all the help.
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 28 Feb 2020, 7:36 am

I have heard people say 20thou off the lands others have said 5, and all numbers in between. Like everything there are always a few different opinions. Personally mate I just colour the projectile in with black Nikko, then slowly adjust the depth until it’s no longer touching. Not as scientific as some I agree but that’s how I was taught by my old man, worked for him and it works ok for me too. Creedmoor a great cartridge mate. You will love it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 28 Feb 2020, 8:06 am

Adelaide wrote:Hi All,

Apps for the delayed response. Thanks a ton to everyone who shared this goldmine of info that will keep me busy for a while. Have got myself some HORNADY 140GR ELD and SIERRA 120 GR SPT to start with. What is the best seating depth to start with?

Thanks once again.

I would just start at max mag length or if running a floor plate you’ll have a little bit more room. I’ve heard all Howa’s are deep throated and I’m not trying to crack a 6.5 Creedmoor joke. I wouldn’t be surprised if you need to seat the bullet at 2.9?? COAL Something to reach the lands in a Howa 6.5 Creedmoor.

I had all my reloaded ammo set to max floor plate length which still had a big jump to the lands. Then pushed them back to magazine length. Didn’t really notice any change in group size.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Adelaide » 19 May 2020, 9:31 am

Thanks to all for the valuable info . Got all the stuff I now need so its just a matter of puting them together. Have not been so excited about shooting it since my first rifle a long time ago.
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 19 May 2020, 1:30 pm

Let us know what you end up loading and how well it shoots.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Adelaide » 02 Aug 2020, 3:07 pm

Hi All,
I have been told to use magnum small rifle primers in my Lapua Brass. Is there any benefit to this??
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Cooper » 02 Aug 2020, 3:23 pm

Adelaide wrote:Hi All,
I have been told to use magnum small rifle primers in my Lapua Brass. Is there any benefit to this??

I just use standard primers. If you run really a high pressure load. You may need to run magnum primers As they have thicker cups. Other than that you might find one primer works better in any given load. But at the end of the day they all go bang.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Adelaide » 02 Aug 2020, 3:51 pm

Thanks a ton
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Larry » 02 Aug 2020, 5:11 pm

More often you will get better results not using a magnum primer. ADI powder does not require them quite the opposite i you send them an email they will explain it. It is due to the structure of the powder and being easily ignitable.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by JimTom » 02 Aug 2020, 7:44 pm

Mate the research that I have conducted suggests if you are using small rifle primer brass use a small rifle magnum primer. The theory is that a standard small rifle primer doesn’t do as good of a job on that volume of powder.
In saying that I have never tried a standard small rifle primer.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Aug 2020, 7:59 am

Both CCI BR4 and Magnum primers use the thicker cup and this may help you out if you are pushing the speed a little. You will have to test both primers with your load to see what works. I have found that Magnum primers can lower your ES in some cases, the 223 shooting VLDs for example.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Adelaide » 04 Aug 2020, 5:03 pm

Got myself some CCI 450 will test them out. Thanks once again for all the advice.
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Bluedelaine » 07 Aug 2020, 6:19 pm

Hi Guys. I have purchased a Thompson Centre LRR 6.5 Creedmore. I am after current minimum to maximum reload tables.
Thanks in advance. Blue
Blue De
Bluedelaine
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 08 Aug 2020, 9:06 pm

Mate depending on what powder you’re going to use, just do a search on the net and you will find the data you’re after.

If you are going to use ADI, then have a gander at the following.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/warnings/
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bluedelaine » 09 Aug 2020, 6:06 pm

Thanks for the link. I am just starting to reload.
Blue De
Bluedelaine
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Aug 2020, 7:53 pm

Bluedelaine wrote:Hi Guys. I have purchased a Thompson Centre LRR 6.5 Creedmore. I am after current minimum to maximum reload tables.
Thanks in advance. Blue

What bullet are you going to use?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 10 Aug 2020, 6:38 am

Bluedelaine wrote:Thanks for the link. I am just starting to reload.

Do you have a mentor or Someone to teach you a bit or are you going this alone mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition